PDA

View Full Version : St.Joanna ?..../ Gurkhas (merged threads)

percy toboggan
07-May-09, 19:40
....Should the Lumley woman be awarded a sainthood. Should she be elevated to the sancitified ranks of halo ringed do-gooders for her tireless campaign championing the Gurkha cause?

Perhaps. She is a celebrity after all. We could make her the patron saint for all immigrants and have her signing up all and sundry down at Dover.

As for the numbers involving these undoubtedly gutsy, brave (some of them positively heroic) soldiers.... well they vary from a hundred and fifty only to a wildly over excited two hundred thousand!!

Whatever the number we'll have Joanna to thank. Once she decided to get her high profile 'middle Britain loves a spunky gal' and cut glass accent involved then anyone opposing more immigration on a common sense basis was doomed to fail. There is clearly much hypocrisy on the Clapham Omnibus which by now must be down to standing room only.

Absoutely fabulous.

Rheghead
07-May-09, 19:45
What is the reason why she personally has been more determined than anyone else to see the Ghurkas to have the right to live in the UK? I'm genuinely interested why her and not anybodyelse has been so high profile.

Kodiak
07-May-09, 19:51
What is the reason why she personally has been more determined than anyone else to see the Ghurkas to have the right to live in the UK? I'm genuinely interested why her and not anybodyelse has been so high profile.

I believe that her main reason is because a Ghurka save her Fathers Life and so she has always had a soft spot for this Regiment.

Rheghead
07-May-09, 19:57
I believe that her main reason is because a Ghurka save her Fathers Life and so she has always had a soft spot for this Regiment.

Understandable then, I'd probably do the same in that case. Ta

Alice in Blunderland
07-May-09, 20:13
If the Gurkhas get the right to live in this country will that include their families or just them on their own. :)

I havent been following this too closely but if this is the case of them and their families, then will this possibly open the doors for many more soldiers who have in the past fought for Britain claiming the right to live here.

................ My husbands grandad fought for Britain also trained in Sandhurst and so did a few of his relatives. Hes not a Gurkha can you see where this may be going or am I on the wrong track ? :confused

Kenn
07-May-09, 20:40
Now whilst she's fought a great campaign on their behalf, I think that is going too far percy!

With regard to her reasons, her father was an officer with The Gurkha Regiment in Malaya if my meory serves me correctly and she grew up with them

The point raised about other nationals who fight in our armed services is that they have an automatic right to stay when they have completed their service. All The Gurkhas are asking for is the same right. It would not mean a mass influx of Nepalese as there are only a certain number allowed to join the regiment as numbers require to keep it up to strength.

Alice in Blunderland
07-May-09, 21:20
I am all for the Gurkhas having the right to stay in this country. They deserve it more than some of the people allowed to stay. :)

I was trying to figure out where the government were coming from with their constant refusal to allow them.
I wondered if it was because they feared it would open the floodgates to others. :confused

alex
07-May-09, 22:20
Percy, we crossed swords briefly before on the issue of the Ghurkas but I certainly don't believe Ms Lumley deserves sainthood or any huge reward for what she has done.

She used her profile and presence to pursue an interest that was of great importance to her (actually her task is not yet complete and we shall hear more in coming days and months) and deserves credit for using her talent and intelligence in the cause of her own belief. She brought the issue to the nation's and our attention through the press value of her previous achievements and any further reward would be pointless.

If she were to become a UN ambassador for the rights of Nepal (as a possible example) I would consider that publicity seeking and the beginning of a corruption in her pure commitment to the cause that she currently so proudly advocates.

When, well if, she succeeds in achieving this specific cause I'd like to see her return to comedy acting where she did so well a few years back.

MadPict
07-May-09, 22:37
I'm glad that Joanna has the spine to stand up against these so called politicians and front the Gurkha cause. Watching her extract agreement about what will happen next from that slimy toadlike jobsworth Woolas was a joy to watch.

Stop trying to act like the Orgs Enoch Powell Percy - from reading your previous attempts at spreading FUD about what will happen to this country if the Gurkhas are allowed permanent residency is akin to his 'rivers of blood' speech. They have more right to live and work here than any of the wasters that sneak into the UK ...

Bazeye
07-May-09, 23:14
I'm glad that Joanna has the spine to stand up against these so called politicians and front the Gurkha cause. Watching her extract agreement about what will happen next from that slimy toadlike jobsworth Woolas was a joy to watch.

Stop trying to act like the Orgs Enoch Powell Percy - from reading your previous attempts at spreading FUD about what will happen to this country if the Gurkhas are allowed permanent residency is akin to his 'rivers of blood' speech. They have more right to live and work here than any of the wasters that sneak into the UK ...

Lets face it. Id rather have a Nepalese family move next door than a Somali, Sudanese, Albanian, Afghani etc etc.

percy toboggan
08-May-09, 10:08
.....Stop trying to act like the Orgs Enoch Powell Percy...

My views are entirely my own and the man you mention is much maligned.
Were you , or I to share anything like his huge intellect we'd not be wasting time in internet forums.

Your other comments continue in a hyperbolic vein....'rivers of blood' indeed. Your moniker is well chosen.

Kenneth
08-May-09, 13:19
I really dont have much against immigration! Percy why at ever possible chance do you become Mr BNP?? I personally think you are off your trolley?

bekisman
08-May-09, 13:31
Ah, it's Percy again, totally missing the point; "We could make her the patron saint for all immigrants and have her signing up all and sundry down at Dover". Percy, these are not your average immigrants, they don't blow themselves up for a start - they respect Britain far more than maybe most of us - in fact 50,000 have died and 150,000 have been injured in service to your country, you don't get 26 Victoria Crosses for n'owt - what else do they need to do?, nope, they are immensely proud to become Ghurkhas, they don't run off home after a couple of weeks of basic training cos they missed their mum either.

You can take the mickey out of this 'Lumley woman's' accent, but at least she's got off her bum - 'Joanna Lumley's father served for 30 years with the 6th Gurkha Rifles, and was a Chindit in Burma; his admiration and affection for these soldiers of Nepal was shared by all who served with them.'* I do not see why animosity is afforded to a person simply because, to quote you has a: "cut glass accent". Is this a Class thing Percy?

Basically it's an insult to Lumley, who, lets face it does not need to ingratiate herself into British life. she's done that, been there, but has a personal interest alluded to above. I pride myself that I lived with the Ghurkhas in the late 60's and was a member of their team during Ex Bersatu Padu in Malaysia, so know them exceedingly well. My opinion of these great peoples is based upon fact, personal knowledge, experience and not some xenophobic attitude that tars these people with the same brush as others not deserving of living here.

"anyone opposing more immigration on a common sense basis was doomed to fail" - why is that Percy?

We are all aware on these forums on your, may I say, in my own opinion, sometimes narrow viewpoints, which of course you are entitled too, a right well won by those above whom you malign so very easily.. your earlier comments of 'cannon fodder' does not bide well with your "these undoubtedly gutsy, brave (some of them positively heroic) soldiers".

Your main thrust is Britain is a small island, we don't have room - how does this affect you personally Percy? what steps have you taken to address any worries?.
I, as another poster has stated would rather have a whole street-full of Ghurkhas living next door, than others.

Go on, click on this: *http://www.gurkhajustice.org.uk/ (http://www.gurkhajustice.org.uk/) and add your name to the present 313,053 people who are trying to get on the Clapham Omnibus..

percy toboggan
08-May-09, 17:34
Ah, it's Percy again, totally missing the point; "We could make her the patron saint for all immigrants and have her signing up all and sundry down at Dover". Percy, these are not your average immigrants, they don't blow themselves up for a start - they respect Britain far more than maybe most of us - in fact 50,000 have died and 150,000 have been injured in service to your country, you don't get 26 Victoria Crosses for n'owt - what else do they need to do?, nope, they are immensely proud to become Ghurkhas, they don't run off home after a couple of weeks of basic training cos they missed their mum either.

You can take the mickey out of this 'Lumley woman's' accent, but at least she's got off her bum - 'Joanna Lumley's father served for 30 years with the 6th Gurkha Rifles, and was a Chindit in Burma; his admiration and affection for these soldiers of Nepal was shared by all who served with them.'* I do not see why animosity is afforded to a person simply because, to quote you has a: "cut glass accent". Is this a Class thing Percy?

Basically it's an insult to Lumley, who, lets face it does not need to ingratiate herself into British life. she's done that, been there, but has a personal interest alluded to above. I pride myself that I lived with the Ghurkhas in the late 60's and was a member of their team during Ex Bersatu Padu in Malaysia, so know them exceedingly well. My opinion of these great peoples is based upon fact, personal knowledge, experience and not some xenophobic attitude that tars these people with the same brush as others not deserving of living here.

"anyone opposing more immigration on a common sense basis was doomed to fail" - why is that Percy?

We are all aware on these forums on your, may I say, in my own opinion, sometimes narrow viewpoints, which of course you are entitled too, a right well won by those above whom you malign so very easily.. your earlier comments of 'cannon fodder' does not bide well with your "these undoubtedly gutsy, brave (some of them positively heroic) soldiers".

Your main thrust is Britain is a small island, we don't have room - how does this affect you personally Percy? what steps have you taken to address any worries?.
I, as another poster has stated would rather have a whole street-full of Ghurkhas living next door, than others.

Go on, click on this: *http://www.gurkhajustice.org.uk/ (http://www.gurkhajustice.org.uk/) and add your name to the present 313,053 people who are trying to get on the Clapham Omnibus..

Do you really think the average immigrant 'blows himself up'?
Methinks you delve in realms of self-induced fantasy at times.
Anyone, such as myself who is opposed to any further planned (or unplanned) immigration yet seeks to make an exception for Gurkha (or any other) soldiers is something of a hypocrite in my opinion.

Kenneth: your 'off my trolley' remark has cut me to the quick. Like being savaged by a sedated chihuahua. Quite how I will recover I don't know.

percy toboggan
08-May-09, 17:49

Is there a peitition to keep them out, I wonder?
You ask if Lumley aversion is 'a class thing' - very likely.

For someone who dismissed my opinions as narrow you don't half spend a lot of time challenging them.

I'm beyond conversion bekisman. Unlike the service mentality I don't fall in behind the consensual view if I do not agree with it.

Mock all you like, demean and attempt to diminish my character - I really could not give two hoots....I never needed a uniform to prove my stature although the GPO suit in the early seventies did get me free bus rides.
I never felt enough allegiance to HMQ or her Government to submit myself to its whims and follies either, beyond a three month sabbatical from real, uninsulated, un-institutionalised life.

Take a look at Politics today and see who pulls the strings for our gallant forces - a bunch of crooks, spivs and charlatans.

Perhaps a military coup may be the answer - but then you'll now think I'm advocating one because you cannot read written English properly.

And if I have had the temerity to 'insult' Ms.Lumley well...really...slap my buttocks with a wet piece o'cod.(not the left one please - not yet)

And as for your question 'what steps have I taken to address my worries on immigration the answer is - none yet. I could take myself off as far as it were humanly possible while still staying on the same island - it's been done before - but I'm not that worried.

Am I to assume you were ?

bekisman
08-May-09, 18:19
My gosh Percy:
"you delve in realms of self-induced fantasy at times"
"Unlike the service mentality I don't fall in behind the consensual view if I do not agree with it."
"from real, uninsulated, un-institutionalised life."
And finally

"because you cannot read written English properly."

Maybe, but I can spell: see #1
sancitified
Absoutely

Keep smiling person

MadPict
08-May-09, 18:38
...slap my buttocks with a wet piece o'cod.(not the left one please - not yet)

That's a hell of a war wound - made the mistake of looking at your blog (and consequently your butt tock (in my best Forrest Gump voice)).
The surgeon have trouble finding your hip? :)

percy toboggan
08-May-09, 18:43
My gosh Percy:
"you delve in realms of self-induced fantasy at times"
"Unlike the service mentality I don't fall in behind the consensual view if I do not agree with it."
"from real, uninsulated, un-institutionalised life."
And finally

"because you cannot read written English properly."

Maybe, but I can spell: see #1
sancitified
Absoutely

Keep smiling lad

Don't call me lad.If you're reduced to pointing out minor spelling errors then you really must be desperate....I note a lack of answers. Keep 'em to yerself if you want to keep dry powder...I don't really give a tinkers cuss.

percy toboggan
08-May-09, 18:47
That's a hell of a war wound - made the mistake of looking at your blog (and consequently your butt tock (in my best Forrest Gump voice)).
The surgeon have trouble finding your hip? :)

Thaks for looking - hope it didn't put you off your tea.
'Tis now healing up very nicely.
My detractors might be pleased to know it does give me some gyp in bed.[lol]...unlike Joanna Lumley it's nothing I can't handle.

MadPict
08-May-09, 19:19
Glad to see you weren't put to the back of the queue due to eastern European migrants coming to the UK for medical treatment.

My niece was told she would have to wait NINE years to have corrective dental work done due to the influx of people from the NuEU - their teeth are falling out apparently, so they go to the top of the queue. She would be in her mid 20s before any NHS work would be done...

Don't we live in a wonderful country.....

joxville
08-May-09, 19:20
I really dont have much against immigration! Percy why at ever possible chance do you become Mr BNP?? I personally think you are off your trolley?

I beg to differ-Percy is very much on his trolley. However, his is the one with the wonky wheel. ;)

MadPict
08-May-09, 19:30
Maybe a solution would be to allow retired Gurkhas into the UK and employ them as border guards - then we'll see how many 'clandestines', as the UKBA call them, try to sneak in packed into the backs of trucks...

TBH
09-May-09, 00:38
What is the reason why she personally has been more determined than anyone else to see the Ghurkas to have the right to live in the UK? I'm genuinely interested why her and not anybodyelse has been so high profile.Her Dad served in the 6th Gurkha rifles.

Aaldtimer
09-May-09, 02:47
Maybe a solution would be to allow retired Gurkhas into the UK and employ them as border guards - then we'll see how many 'clandestines', as the UKBA call them, try to sneak in packed into the backs of trucks...

Now that is a bluidy good idea!
One that I'm sure they would relish! ;)

Bazeye
09-May-09, 12:11

Maybe if you lived in Slough, Luton, Cambridge etc yor views would be different.

Alice in Blunderland
09-May-09, 14:34
Maybe if you lived in Slough, Luton, Cambridge etc yor views would be different.

Why ......... ? :)

percy toboggan
09-May-09, 19:41
Glad to see you weren't put to the back of the queue due to eastern European migrants coming to the UK for medical treatment.

My niece was told she would have to wait NINE years to have corrective dental work done due to the influx of people from the NuEU - their teeth are falling out apparently, so they go to the top of the queue. She would be in her mid 20s before any NHS work would be done...

Don't we live in a wonderful country.....

On balance I agree and we do.
I wish it were a bit less wonderful and then there would not be so many people striving for entry.
One in fourteen public sector jobs is now held by a foreigner...and this does NOT include those who have applied for, and been granted citizenship.

I'd rather like one of those jobs myself - fat chance.

I hope your sister somehow finds her way to the front of the queue sooner than expected. The situation where recent migrants get preference is shaming for all in authority.

ss.sv650
12-May-09, 02:58
when will you give it a rest you outvoted and clearly no very little about this fine bunch of men do some research and then start a sensible thread

percy toboggan
12-May-09, 10:42
when will you give it a rest you outvoted and clearly no very little about this fine bunch of men do some research and then start a sensible thread

Well, well that's me well and truly put in my place.:~(

Dear dear, what a pity...never mind - I shall continue to swim against the tide.

Last night I watched a report from Nepal on the desperate attempts of young men to become members of the Gurkha regiment. An unhealthy single minded obsession to lift themselves out of grinding poverty.

This made me feel even more uneasy about the way these people are exploited. They are most definitely 'mercenaries' and are prepared to kill
for a good pension. They are also prepared to place themselves at the disposal of a foreign govenrment, and a country which bears no real relation to their own primarily because they are poor. The lay their lives on the line for money, rather than any sense of 'allegiance' which must be the biggest myth of all. If you want to believe it then you will.

Personally I'm not so misty eyed.

I think the British authorities should hang their heads in shame over the exploitation of these young men - for exploitation is exactly what is happening here.

Any Ghurkha injured in the course of serving Britain should be treated here if it will help their recovery. I can still see no case for residence, especially for dependents.

Rheghead
12-May-09, 11:16
I think the British authorities should hang their heads in shame over the exploitation of these young men - for exploitation is exactly what is happening here.

The Maoist Nepalese government agrees with you, they say that recruitment into the British army is degrading to the Nepalese people and will be banned.

percy toboggan
12-May-09, 11:32
The Maoist sections of Nepal government agrees with you, they say that recruitment into the British army is degrading to the Nepalese people and will be banned.

We have a wealthy western Government fighting wars (one of which bordered on 'illegal' ) the other might carry on for years & has already cost about a hundred and fifty British lives despite the Defence Secretary at the time (John Reed) saying our 'soldiers might return home without a shot being fired.

To recruit from our own populace is one thing but to dangle what is relatively big money to foreign nationals ( eg. Nepalese and Fijians) to fight and die for Britain is highly questionable at the very least.

Objectivity is required here, not sentiment influenced by affiliations and ties borne out of more legitimate causes in the defence of freedoms.

To hold out the carrot of long term residential rights in exchange for military service might be acceptable if we were short of people.
We're only short of people who are willing to join the Army - I can't say I blame them.

Is it moral for one to argue for Gurkha rights, whilst discouraging your own child from becoming a soldier?

Rheghead
12-May-09, 12:12
To recruit from our own populace is one thing but to dangle what is relatively big money to foreign nationals ( eg. Nepalese and Fijians) to fight and die for Britain is highly questionable at the very least.

Are you sure about that? Is it not still the practice that the pay for the British Ghurkas is different to other British soldiers? It used to be that they were paid the same as what their ghurka counterparts in the Indian army got paid.

david
12-May-09, 12:32
We have a wealthy western Government fighting wars (one of which bordered on 'illegal' ) the other might carry on for years & has already cost about a hundred and fifty British lives despite the Defence Secretary at the time (John Reed) saying our 'soldiers might return home without a shot being fired.

Objectivity is required here, not sentiment influenced by affiliations and ties borne out of more legitimate causes in the defence of freedoms.

To hold out the carrot of long term residential rights in exchange for military service might be acceptable if we were short of people.
We're only short of people who are willing to join the Army - I can't say I blame them.

Is it moral for one to argue for Gurkha rights, whilst discouraging your own child from becoming a soldier?

For the very first time (and perhaps the last) I totally agree with you.

bekisman
12-May-09, 12:34
Percy; "Is it moral for one to argue for Gurkha rights, whilst discouraging your own child from becoming a soldier?"

Speak for yourself Percy, I never encouraged my boys to become soldiers, but when all three did, I was not disappointed.

percy toboggan
12-May-09, 13:45
Percy; "Is it moral for one to argue for Gurkha rights, whilst discouraging your own child from becoming a soldier?"

Speak for yourself Percy, I never encouraged my boys to become soldiers, but when all three did, I was not disappointed.

Why do you always take things so personally. This was intended as a wider question.

I neither encouraged nor discouraged my children from joining the forces as they showed no interest whatsoever.

Again you sidestep the question by taking the essence of it personally.
As for 'speaking for myself' this is exactly what I'm doing, on this thread and any other.

Can you please get it into your head that when I mention the British military I'm not talking specifically about you or your 'boys'.

MadPict
12-May-09, 15:21
I did read somewhere that recruiting enquiries for the forces have increased over the last few weeks and that is being put down to the recession. So maybe the 'carrot' of 3 meals a day and roof over your head and decent beer money is being dangled in front of UK citizens, who have found themselves out of work for the first time.

There is of course more to the military than just becoming another statistic in the 'war on terror' - we have a Royal Navy and a Royal Air Force and while the Navy still gets to sail the seven seas the choices of nice overseas postings for the RAF have become whittled down over recent years.

And the point about the Gurkhas being prevented from joining the British Army is a valid one - maybe the Maoists will stop it completely if they take over in Nepal. That'll solve the problem won't it.....

bekisman
12-May-09, 15:29
Percy, I don't take things personally, why should I? find it quite amusing, really I do. There are a number of folk here who know me personally and I'm sure they would agree with that hypothesis. And what's all this bold stuff? and the inverted commas on 'boys' what's that about?

"Can you please get it into your head that when I mention the British military I'm not talking specifically about you or your 'boys' " Eh? pretty damn obvious that one old chap.
Some good news: 'The family of a Gurkha killed in Afghanistan will not be made to leave the country, says the UK Border Agency.The agency was responding to a Sunday Mirror report that the widow of Cpl Kumar Pun was told she had no right to stay in the UK the day after his death. Cpl Kumar was among four soldiers killed in southern Afghanistan's Helmand province on Thursday'
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8042287.stm (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8042287.stm)

Anyway Percy, I thought in #15 "I'm beyond conversion bekisman" - Noli nothis permittere te terere..

Gene Hunt
12-May-09, 16:28
Oh God is he off again ??

Beks, just ignore him. Having caught Percy out walting it up over his "dealings with the Tornado" and watched him do nothing after I called his bluff before I just find him funny now. He didnt have the guts to stick with it when he joined up and exhibits a lot of the traits of guys who couldnt hack it in his views. He should change his username to Nytol, he makes me sleepy.

I am sure we dont need Percy or his son in the Army or Marines with our boys. And lets face it mate, is that a bad thing ??, we will always need someone to make the deliveries to the Main Gate after all.

Lets move on.

percy toboggan
13-May-09, 07:02
Percy, I don't take things personally, why should I? find it quite amusing, really I do. There are a number of folk here who know me personally and I'm sure they would agree with that hypothesis. And what's all this bold stuff? and the inverted commas on 'boys' what's that about?

You really are losing it - assuming you ever had it in the first place.
A failure to come to grips with basic writing techniques of quotation and emphasis - or didn't they teach that at Aldershot? Last time you had a pop at my spelling - or rather my inattention to detail....a failure 'trained-out' of Soldiers no doubt as their lives can often depend upon 'detail'

So, allowances obviously need to be made for the military mindset at least at relatively low ranking level. I shall try harder in the future. Perhaps.

percy toboggan
13-May-09, 07:17
Gene hunt? When you find any I might recognise as moderately interesting do let me know.

At least your unwanted private messages seem to have dried up.They've gone the same way as your wit.

I see you now seek to form alliances to bolster your inane drivel , and your continued obsession with me. Perhaps a pincer movement.

It's not escaped my notice that the character whose name you choose to adopt is a loud mouthed boorish man's man with a penchant for over the top, anachronistic gobbiness.

You chose well. I ignore him and his dire t.v. personna, for now though you are at least a little more entertaining. Though there's not much in it.(remind you of your old tin helmet?)

You want deliveries? 'Ere - sign for this Pal....if you can see beyond that peak you've pulled down over your eyes to try to look 'ard. (I came across a few of those)

Oh...and don't think my mention of 'Tornados' was in any way an attempt to wheedle admiration from those of you who are impressed with military hardware. I'd rate delivering a load of Baked Beans to Sainsbury's as equally important.

Although the design, technology and engineering is impressive I don't go misty eyed at thoughts of jet aircraft designed to blow people up. Nor would I derive any misplaced sense of importance from having anything to do with fighter/bomber aircraft. Necessary evils at best.
It was a job. Nothing more nothing less.

Gene Hunt
13-May-09, 09:06
Whats up Percy .. hit a nerve did I ??

And by the way I was talking ABOUT you not AT you. When I want your opinion I will ring the Walter Mitty hotline. But dont hold your breath for that call. Maybe claiming that I have some kind of "obsession" with you just shows that you are incapable of dealing with the same kind of treatment that you like to dish out. You seem to adopt the victim mentality when you are confronted with the same type of comment that you love to throw at others. I have ignored your posts since the last Gurkha thread until now .. hardly an "obsession" is it ?? And that was only because you have seen fit to launch an attack on me that has all the ferocity of a drunk five year old. If you do it again could you at least make it funny ??

Insinuating and Insulting about me and my son as you did on the previous Gurkha thread will not go unanswered. If you go back and read it I attempted to close the topic graciously until you decided to big yourself up and have a go at me and my boy. I closed the thread and PM'd you as that was the way to handle a personal complaint in my view. If you had any complaints you should have informed the Mods then. Like you threatened to do and didnt, even when I directly called your bluff on it. You then saying "but dont take anything I say seriously" is not an excuse, its not even a good cop out, although it is the only sensible thing you have ever said in my view. You pulled a tigers tail and had to deal with the teeth. You got caught out in a militairy based claim that was not historically accurate and blatantly impossible. When you, by your own admission run home from Basic Training for the reasons you gave you become a bit of a joke in the eyes of those who didnt when you start lording about your views on the Gurkha's. And your sly digs at the Forces in general are just indicative of those who didnt make it, deep down were we just a little bit jealous of those who did when making our deliveries ?? .. Hmmmm. I wonder.

Either go grab a tissue and have a weep Percy or man up and deal with it. You seem completely incapable of dealing with what what you dish out. And please, feel free to put this post in your "dossier" on me Percy. You will be claiming you were the second man on the Iranian Embassy balcony next, should I keep an eye out for black helicopters too ??

Oh and as far as you personal views on me go .. from you, thats a compliment. I have no time for the those who cant back up what they talk.

And .. *ignore* .. :cool:

bekisman
13-May-09, 09:53
Come, come Percy, me losing it?, how?, you tell me I've the 'Military Mindset' which would surely preclude me from 'losing it'.

When one descends into abuse then one would consider your argument is lost. 'Teach me at Aldershot'? - might have passed through in a vehicle, but sorry Percy you are (as usual) wrong again. Actually I did do a bit in Hampshire - I was sent there as a Training NCO, and as you might remember from your own very very brief sojourn into the Military; Training NCO's are especially picked for their prowess and professional ability, turning boys into thinking men, if they can hack it long enough, that is.

My own formative years were prior to the military, the Army was just a 15 year episode during my life, but after that I was a truck driver just like you Percy, mine was a big red one; had 'Fire and Rescue' plastered all over the side, brought to a sudden end after 11 years because of a serious accident on duty, oh dear there's that 'Duty' word again. One wonders if you consider this oft quoted 'mind set' being in operation during those years as well.
Gene Hunt? I must admit I do read his postings with interest, he seems to most certainly have a cosmopolitan outlook, which is sadly lacking elsewhere. 'Perhaps a pincer movement' hmm, this military stuffs getting to you Percy..
'Try harder in the future' maybe you should Percy, it's doing you no good whatsoever being pressurised during your convalescent period - I do know this (having measured for a laugh) 4 feet of scars on my own body, oh yes also had a replacement knee, so are aware of the annoyance of non-mobility.. keep smiling, please don't let this get to you..

Bit more ref Gurkhas; http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/2786991.stm (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/2786991.stm)

percy toboggan
13-May-09, 13:43
Whats up Percy .. hit a nerve did I ??

Nerves of steel here cock, if you hit one you'll hear the twang even down there in the Valleys.

Thanks for the diatribe anyway, predictable but moderately entertaining......it's been a slow morning.

percy toboggan
13-May-09, 13:48
Come, come Percy, me losing it?, how?, you tell me I've the 'Military Mindset' which would surely preclude me from 'losing it'.

When one descends into abuse then one would consider your argument is lost. 'Teach me at Aldershot'? - might have passed through in a vehicle, but sorry Percy you are (as usual) wrong again. Actually I did do a bit in Hampshire - I was sent there as a Training NCO, and as you might remember from your own very very brief sojourn into the Military; Training NCO's are especially picked for their prowess and professional ability, turning boys into thinking men, if they can hack it long enough, that is.

My own formative years were prior to the military, the Army was just a 15 year episode during my life, but after that I was a truck driver just like you Percy, mine was a big red one; had 'Fire and Rescue' plastered all over the side, brought to a sudden end after 11 years because of a serious accident on duty, oh dear there's that 'Duty' word again. One wonders if you consider this oft quoted 'mind set' being in operation during those years as well.
Gene Hunt? I must admit I do read his postings with interest, he seems to most certainly have a cosmopolitan outlook, which is sadly lacking elsewhere. 'Perhaps a pincer movement' hmm, this military stuffs getting to you Percy..
'Try harder in the future' maybe you should Percy, it's doing you no good whatsoever being pressurised during your convalescent period - I do know this (having measured for a laugh) 4 feet of scars on my own body, oh yes also had a replacement knee, so are aware of the annoyance of non-mobility.. keep smiling, please don't let this get to you..

Bit more ref Gurkhas; http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/2786991.stm (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/2786991.stm)

Thanks for updating your biography.
4 feet of scars? Now that is a lot, and puts my miserable few inches in the shade. Those who judge a man by his scars will no doubt be impressed.
Carelessness, extreme valour or bad luck?
Whichever I hope you don't hurt too much.

Incidentally I'm smiling much more lately.

Gene Hunt
13-May-09, 15:27
Nerves of steel here cock, if you hit one you'll hear the twang even down there in the Valleys.

Thanks for the diatribe anyway, predictable but moderately entertaining......it's been a slow morning.

Nerves of steel. Really ??, where were they then when I called your bluff on your threat to post up your alleged "dossier" on me. Go on Percy, do it. Show me those nerves of steel. If you had nerves of steel you might have hacked basic, took a lot of guts to quit did it ??

And as for the air of intellectual superiority and intelligence you like to portray here's a quick tip. If you are going to claim an association to a RAF aircraft type in a certain decade check out the RAF website first to make sure it was actually operated at that base in that decade. Otherwise your Walter Mitty house of cards tends to collapse. Anyone with two brain cells to rub together would have avoided that mistake.

So your not quite as tough and as smart as you think are you cock ??

That said Percy I wish you a speedy recovery, having been ill myself I know it wasn't fun. But if you are going to quote me and post in the future could you at least make it funny ??

Much appreciated.

percy toboggan
14-May-09, 06:59
Nerves of steel. Really ??, where were they then when I called your bluff on your threat to post up your alleged "dossier" on me. Go on Percy, do it. Show me those nerves of steel. If you had nerves of steel you might have hacked basic, took a lot of guts to quit did it ??

And as for the air of intellectual superiority and intelligence you like to portray here's a quick tip. If you are going to claim an association to a RAF aircraft type in a certain decade check out the RAF website first to make sure it was actually operated at that base in that decade. Otherwise your Walter Mitty house of cards tends to collapse. Anyone with two brain cells to rub together would have avoided that mistake.

So your not quite as tough and as smart as you think are you cock ??

That said Percy I wish you a speedy recovery, having been ill myself I know it wasn't fun. But if you are going to quote me and post in the future could you at least make it funny ??

Much appreciated.

Oh dear, why can I not just ignore you? Perhaps it's because I'm almost equally stupid.

However:

Your post is riddled with inaccuracies and contradictions.
A couple of weeks ago you were (privately) hoping 'my leg really hurts'
which at least raised a titter at Toboggan Towers. Such a juvenile riposte set the scene for subsequent drivel.

I did 'hack' basic - as you would have noted had you the ability to see not just what you want to see. Anyone 'with two brain cells to rub together' might certainly have done so. I'm neither 'tough, nor particularly 'smart' or I would not currently be arguing the toss with you....cock.

I do currently have a surfeit of spare time and an abbreviated sleep habit , which is my excuse. (Lord knows I need one)

I try to be humorous whenever possible, but try to avoid cut and paste references lifted from other websites in an attempt to bring on a laugh.

Im glad you've picked up on the 'intelligence and intellectual superiority' vibe though, we are all superior to someone, and inferior to others, this is just the way the vast panoply of humanity seems to work.

Ever studied cockney rhyming slang? I amuse myself with it sometimes... I challenge you to come up with something for my nickname:Toboggan...which they might use down the Mile End Road. I've been working on it for a while but am stuck.
Yours was easy.

Kenneth
15-May-09, 11:28
Do you really think the average immigrant 'blows himself up'?
Methinks you delve in realms of self-induced fantasy at times.
Anyone, such as myself who is opposed to any further planned (or unplanned) immigration yet seeks to make an exception for Gurkha (or any other) soldiers is something of a hypocrite in my opinion.

Kenneth: your 'off my trolley' remark has cut me to the quick. Like being savaged by a sedated chihuahua. Quite how I will recover I don't know.

You are ever so patronising! Fiddledy dee fiddledy dum! Oh I say! Isn't that just ghastly! You make me cringe

Kenneth
15-May-09, 11:31

Yes and maybe if I was a racist that would change my opinion too! Other People seem to get on fine with them. Nothing wrong with immigration / immigrants. Britain manages fine with it. Its not like we are falling apart at the seams.

Bazeye
15-May-09, 14:53
Yes and maybe if I was a racist that would change my opinion too! Other People seem to get on fine with them. Nothing wrong with immigration / immigrants. Britain manages fine with it. Its not like we are falling apart at the seams.

I agree that theres nothing wrong with immigration as long as ts regulated and not the open house policy we have at the moment. Believe me, your attitude would change if you lived in any of those places I mentioned. Are there any places in Thurso you wouldnt feel safe walking through, I very much doubt it.

Kodiak
21-May-09, 12:50
Home Secretary Jacqui Smith read an oral statement to the House of Commons on the issue of settlement rights for Gurkhas, Today 21st May 2009.

http://www.number10.gov.uk/Page19390

It looks like that the Gurkhas will now be able to retire in the UK. The statement is too long to post here but click on the above link for the full transcript.

I think this is long overdue, what say all??

Gene Hunt
21-May-09, 13:26
Its great news .. :D

The Gurkhas that do stay will be welcome additions to the country. Some of us who have worn a uniform for a bit know exactly what type of men these are, maybe everyone will now get to see. You cannot ask for more loyal friends and comrades. I would happily live in a street full of Gurkha's, in fact I would prefer to to be honest. They are hard working and friendly people who dont know what the word scrounge means. They have served the country and should have automatically had this right and not had to fight for it.

As much as I welcome this decision I dont think it would have come had it not been for the furore over MP's expenses. Labour saw an opportunity to spin a bit of positive PR and took it. But I suppose all that matters is that men who served the country will be allowed to stay here.

Ayo Gurkhali !!

tonkatojo
21-May-09, 13:53
here here GH brilliant result, pity it was soiled by that creep of a tory WIDDICOME (I think that's how its spelt) lurking in the background trying to steal some of the glory spouting off about the injustice of it all and the nerve of the woman saying people power was listened too, what about the poor miners and their plite, she should remember the inability of her past parties premierships to do any thing near the feat of Gordon Brown's coup, albeit forced from him by a super personality like J Lumley.

MadPict
21-May-09, 14:11
Excellent volte-face by this spineless shower of lily livered dimwits...

joxville
21-May-09, 14:15
Its great news .. :D

The Gurkhas that do stay will be welcome additions to the country. Some of us who have worn a uniform for a bit know exactly what type of men these are, maybe everyone will now get to see. You cannot ask for more loyal friends and comrades. I would happily live in a street full of Gurkha's, in fact I would prefer to to be honest. They are hard working and friendly people who dont know what the word scrounge means. They have served the country and should have automatically had this right and not had to fight for it.

As much as I welcome this decision I dont think it would have come had it not been for the furore over MP's expenses. Labour saw an opportunity to spin a bit of positive PR and took it. But I suppose all that matters is that men who served the country will be allowed to stay here.

Ayo Gurkhali !!

I've never served in the forces but can echo your sentiments about them being hard-working and friendly. There are 12 ex-Gurkha's working as lorry drivers for the same company as me and what great lads they are-never complain, nothing is too much trouble and so courteous too, always calling me Mr. Joe Sir-I don't recall being Knighted! Just a shame some of the other drivers we have don't have same attitude as the Gurkha's- what a bunch of whingeing gits, the typical lorry driver.

bekisman
21-May-09, 14:34
Just had this in from Number 10 - excellent news... well done Joanna.

"For many years, the Brigade of Gurkhas have shown bravery, commitment and dedication in serving this country, and continue to do so on operations today.
This Government has done more for Gurkhas than any other. It was the first Government to grant settlement to Gurkhas and the first to equalise pay and pensions, with over 6,000 former Gurkhas and their families already given the right to live in the UK. In April we took steps to increase the number of Gurkhas eligible to come to this country by 4,000 or, including families, 10,000 people.
The House of Commons has now expressed a clear view that all Gurkhas should be entitled to settle in the United Kingdom if that is what they wish.
This Government respects the will of the House of Commons and recognises the strong feeling and public support for this cause. Consequently, we have announced today that all former Gurkhas who served for longer than four years will be eligible to apply for settlement in the United Kingdom. They will also be entitled to bring their spouses and dependent minor children. There will be no time limit on applications.
This scheme recognises the unique nature of the service given to the UK by the Brigade of Gurkhas and is offered to them on an exceptional basis.
We believe that in announcing the new policy today, we have met their concerns and those of Parliament."
http://www.number10.gov.uk/Page19389

MadPict
21-May-09, 14:44
Even now they continue to attempt oneupmanship - "This Government has done more for Gurkhas than any other."

Why can't they just make a statement without dragging it into the mire of party politics. You are pathetic beyond contempt....

We, the public, know that previous governments (including Labour ones) dragged their feet on this issue, so now is not the right time to be blowing your own trumpet about actually doing the decent and honourable thing......

Gene Hunt
21-May-09, 15:21
Even now they continue to attempt oneupmanship - "This Government has done more for Gurkhas than any other."

Why can't they just make a statement without dragging it into the mire of party politics. You are pathetic beyond contempt....

We, the public, know that previous governments (including Labour ones) dragged their feet on this issue, so now is not the right time to be blowing your own trumpet about actually doing the decent and honourable thing......

Yup .. with you on that one.

Funny how it took the Goverment (notice they say "House of Commons" though when more MP's voted against the Goverment's plan than for it .. ;)) months longer than the vast majority of the British public to realise they were fighting a losing battle.

Just had a thought though. We could encourage a few hundred Gurkhas to stand as MP's. Trustworthy .. check. Honest .. Check. Integrity .. Check. Genuine love of the Country .. check. And a Parliament that could reduce any nations leader to a nervous wreck with a smile, a hard look and the mere threat of a slightly curved knife.

It could work.

joxville
21-May-09, 15:31
Just had this in from Number 10 - excellent news... well done Joanna.

"For many years, the Brigade of Gurkhas have shown bravery, commitment and dedication in serving this country, and continue to do so on operations today.
This Government has done more for Gurkhas than any other. It was the first Government to grant settlement to Gurkhas and the first to equalise pay and pensions, with over 6,000 former Gurkhas and their families already given the right to live in the UK. In April we took steps to increase the number of Gurkhas eligible to come to this country by 4,000 or, including families, 10,000 people.
The House of Commons has now expressed a clear view that all Gurkhas should be entitled to settle in the United Kingdom if that is what they wish.
This Government respects the will of the House of Commons and recognises the strong feeling and public support for this cause. Consequently, we have announced today that all former Gurkhas who served for longer than four years will be eligible to apply for settlement in the United Kingdom. They will also be entitled to bring their spouses and dependent minor children. There will be no time limit on applications.
This scheme recognises the unique nature of the service given to the UK by the Brigade of Gurkhas and is offered to them on an exceptional basis.
We believe that in announcing the new policy today, we have met their concerns and those of Parliament."
http://www.number10.gov.uk/Page19389

.....let that be the end of the matter.

Is it just me or does anyone else think the last sentence seems to have a bit missing off the end? All we need for them to do now is recognise the strong public feeling about their expenses scam and call a General Election. [disgust]

784pete
21-May-09, 16:38
Home Secretary Jacqui Smith read an oral statement to the House of Commons on the issue of settlement rights for Gurkhas, Today 21st May 2009.

http://www.number10.gov.uk/Page19390

It looks like that the Gurkhas will now be able to retire in the UK. The statement is too long to post here but click on the above link for the full transcript.

I think this is long overdue, what say all??

Fantistic news and long over due well done to all who have suported them over the years i logged on to post the news and found i was beaten to it great support from caithness (well in general)

784pete
21-May-09, 16:46
I've never served in the forces but can echo your sentiments about them being hard-working and friendly. There are 12 ex-Gurkha's working as lorry drivers for the same company as me and what great lads they are-never complain, nothing is too much trouble and so courteous too, always calling me Mr. Joe Sir-I don't recall being Knighted! Just a shame some of the other drivers we have don't have same attitude as the Gurkha's- what a bunch of whingeing gits, the typical lorry driver.

I have, and you are so right as an ex squadi and trucker as so many of us are you have hit the nail on the head on both counts!!!!
i only had the pleasure of working alongside the Gurkha's a couple of times and you couldnt fine a better bunch of lads to work with and at the risk of starting an inter unit fight the Black Watch were a close second!!! but the decision is long over due and most welcome :):D:cool:!!!

ss.sv650
21-May-09, 16:56
At last well done to all who have shown such loyal support, fantistic news we can only wait with bated breath for one orger to make a comment though not sure if i can mention the name so will just have to leave it up to all the supporters out there to guess who !!!!! I jest Percy but surly even you can now see the overwhelming support this thread has shown and relate to it and the reasons why both St.Joanna and the vast majority of the public have supported these men for so long.

bekisman
21-May-09, 17:06
Just had this from Joanna Lumley:

'At midday today, Home Secretary Jacqui Smith made the announcement to the House of Commons that the Gurkha Justice Campaign have been fighting for for years. All ex-Gurkhas who have served more than 4 years in the British Army will have the right to settle in the UK if they wish.

After such a long fight, with huge ups and downs, this is a superb announcement.

We simply would not have won this fight without the massive, overwhelming support of all those who have supported our campaign. To the hundreds of thousands of people who have signed Gurkha Justice petitions, lobbied their MP, campaigned, attended rallies and marches - thank you so much to you all. This is your victory. It would not have happened without you.

The Government has now responded to that campaign after court cases, votes in Parliament, a huge media campaign and, most importantly, massive public support. I am delighted, and humbled, at what has been achieved by our remarkable team.

The whole campaign has been based on the belief that those who have fought and been prepared to die for our country should have the the right to live in our country. We owe them a debt of honour - a debt that will now be paid.

With warmest good wishes,

Joanna
www.gurkhajustice.org.uk (http://www.gurkhajustice.org.uk/)

MadPict
21-May-09, 17:32
There was no gloating from her over this - she certainly has acted in a truly honourable manner from the outset and while sainthood is usually reserved for people after their death, I think that some noble title might be justified. How ironic it would be if Brown nominated her for the next Honours List...

I am pleased to say I actually got a letter from my MP acknowledging my email requesting he support the motion a couple of weeks ago.

I have already sent an email to Joanna and the Gurkha Justice team to congratulate them on this victory. Not often you can say you have a star in your address book!

And watching the Gurkhas leaving No.10 a few minutes ago it was obvious thaat not everyone in Downing Street was so callous - the Met officer on duty was shaking every Gurkhas hand as they left - not often you see that...

Rheghead
21-May-09, 17:41
What is "House" in Nepalese?:confused

percy toboggan
21-May-09, 18:24
A ridiculous capitulation from a beleaguered Government and a Prime Minister on the rack.

Thousands will come and drain the public purse even further - volunteer to kill for Britain for four years and get a billet for life.

Who next?

Do the Bengal Lancers have any affiliation?
Maybe they could camp out on Lumley's lawn !

joxville
21-May-09, 18:46
Sorry percy, looks like you've been pee-ing into the wind with your stance-I'd rather thousands of ex-Gurkhas and their families than millions of scrounging East Europeans who have contributed the grand sum of sod all to the safety or wealth of this country. As I mentioned in an earlier post, those who can work will do so-they have their dignity, a pride in the job and a sense of decency, which is more than some layabouts in this country can claim.

percy toboggan
21-May-09, 19:00
Sorry percy, looks like you've been pee-ing into the wind with your stance-I'd rather thousands of ex-Gurkhas and their families than millions of scrounging East Europeans who have contributed the grand sum of sod all to the safety or wealth of this country. As I mentioned in an earlier post, those who can work will do so-they have their dignity, a pride in the job and a sense of decency, which is more than some layabouts in this country can claim.

Don't apologise, please.:roll:
It's all gryst to the mill and there is satisfaction in thinking outside the box and avoiding the sheep mentality sometimes. Some posters on this thread should perhaps try it now and again.

Even I recognised that most A8 migrants were here to work.

'Pride in their job' ? 'Sense of decency?'
Fair enough...guns for hire some might call 'em.
Others might fly the 'mercenary' kite.

No matter, they are all entitled to stay and and those few of us who resisted the notion will just have to lump it, eh.

My motives in opposing this was on the immigration front - the country is full...and skint!
I have no particular axe to grind with Gurkhas, but the over weaning admiration and unconditional support was just too much to take unchallenged.

The usual protaganists will be 'peeing in the wind' too Joxville because that's just about all I have to say on the subject.

david
21-May-09, 19:18
Agree on the guns for hire. How many British mercanarys are allowed to stay in the country they were employed to kill in, or are we saying we could not have won the wars we have been in without the Nepalese? These folks as I understand it have to serve 4 years and then are entitled to stay, many not having seen combat at all. Wot then about the various nationalitys encouraged to stay here to save lives (nurses doctors etc). Looks like Lumley and the weak Labour government have set a precedence now. Persumably those who have served 4 years will be entitled to the benefit system as well-something that escapes many in this country who have served in different capacitys for a lot longer than 4 years.

bekisman
21-May-09, 19:35
David: "Wot then about the various nationalitys encouraged to stay here to save lives (nurses doctors etc)."

Wot about the 50,000 Gurkhas who have died and 150,000 who have been injured in service to your country?

MadPict
21-May-09, 19:39
I have just been violently sick.
Why?
I have just watched that two faced excuse for a Prime Minister congratulating the Gurkhas and Joanna.

I wish I was as forgiving as Joanna - and seeing that tosser Woolas with a Nepalese 'scarf' is totally unbelievable after his surreptitious attempts to block their rightful entrance to the UK.

Percy - now you're just being silly.........

ss.sv650
22-May-09, 07:05
A ridiculous capitulation from a beleaguered Government and a Prime Minister on the rack.

Thousands will come and drain the public purse even further - volunteer to kill for Britain for four years and get a billet for life.

Who next?

Do the Bengal Lancers have any affiliation?
Maybe they could camp out on Lumley's lawn !

dry your eyes and grow up
enough said

Gene Hunt
22-May-09, 08:35
POST DELETED.

As the Gurkha's have won I feel that my response to Percy's comments, however amusing they were are no longer needed.

Consider this post me standing next to Percy chanting "1-0" at him while making extremely loud raspberry noises at various intervals.

percy toboggan
22-May-09, 09:26
SV650 - it's not me who needs to grow up.
Look at the contribution from Gene Hunt.
So 'amusing' he deleted them - if they were of similar standard to the ones he left in
he did us a favour.

Unlike him, I will not abruptly close the thread because of hostility or
infantile 'raspberry blowing'.

Gene Hunt: your comments reveal all one needs to know. Keep blowing.

Gene Hunt
22-May-09, 10:58
SV650 - it's not me who needs to grow up.
Look at the contribution from Gene Hunt.
So 'amusing' he deleted them - if they were of similar standard to the ones he left in
he did us a favour.

Unlike him, I will not abruptly close the thread because of hostility or
infantile 'raspberry blowing'.

Gene Hunt: your comments reveal all one needs to know. Keep blowing.

No Percy you will just make private threats about publishing your so called "dossier" on me on open forum. So please summon up your "nerves of steel" and please do go right ahead. How many times do I have to call your bluff ?? .. I am as interested as anyone else in seeing what you apparently "have" on me. For the last time .. POST IT UP. See that Bluff in front of you ?? .. I'm calling it. Summon up those "Nerves of Steel" and go right ahead. Or send them to the Mods. Either is fine by me.

I did not close the first Gurkha thread because of "hostility", I closed the thread because after trying to end the argument gracefully by saying I respected you sticking to your guns you then bigged yourself up and insulted and insinuated about the service of my son and myself. I closed the thread, sent you a PM and then proceeded to give you a dose of your own medicine on receiving your reply. At which point you took your ball and went home crying as the big boys played too rough .. again. Your only reply post that was to threaten to post up my PM's and get other people to side with you and gang up on me. Just how old are you ?? Which seems to be your tack on the post I have just quoted above .. interesting. And you are referring to me as infantile ??, Percy are you familiar with the word ironic ??

So pardon me if I really dont care what a failed crab trainee who cant even carry out an internet threat or make a convincing walter mitty "I had dealings with that aircraft" lie without getting caught out thinks about me. Sorry mate but life is just too good for you to bother me. You would have to make it your career. And even then its a long shot.

Oh and while I am here .. "1-0" .. "1-0" .. *raspberry*

percy toboggan
22-May-09, 12:19
No Percy you will just make private threats about publishing your so called "dossier" on me on open forum. So please summon up your "nerves of steel" and please do go right ahead. How many times do I have to call your bluff ?? .. I am as interested as anyone else in seeing what you apparently "have" on me. For the last time .. POST IT UP. See that Bluff in front of you ?? .. I'm calling it. Summon up those "Nerves of Steel" and go right ahead. Or send them to the Mods. Either is fine by me.

I did not close the first Gurkha thread because of "hostility", I closed the thread because after trying to end the argument gracefully by saying I respected you sticking to your guns you then bigged yourself up and insulted and insinuated about the service of my son and myself. I closed the thread, sent you a PM and then proceeded to give you a dose of your own medicine on receiving your reply. At which point you took your ball and went home crying as the big boys played too rough .. again. Your only reply post that was to threaten to post up my PM's and get other people to side with you and gang up on me. Just how old are you ?? Which seems to be your tack on the post I have just quoted above .. interesting. And you are referring to me as infantile ??, Percy are you familiar with the word ironic ??

So pardon me if I really dont care what a failed crab trainee who cant even carry out an internet threat or make a convincing walter mitty "I had dealings with that aircraft" lie without getting caught out thinks about me. Sorry mate but life is just too good for you to bother me. You would have to make it your career. And even then its a long shot.

Oh and while I am here .. "1-0" .. "1-0" .. *raspberry*

I'm not yer 'mate'

Gene Hunt
22-May-09, 13:38
I'm not yer 'mate'

Took you long enough to work it out.

david
22-May-09, 14:06
David: "Wot then about the various nationalitys encouraged to stay here to save lives (nurses doctors etc)."

Wot about the 50,000 Gurkhas who have died and 150,000 who have been injured in service to your country?

And there have been 750,000 citizens of Iraq killed since 2003...just to get things into perspective.

Gene Hunt
22-May-09, 14:17
And there have been 750,000 citizens of Iraq killed since 2003...just to get things into perspective.

And a lot of Iraqi's were allowed to enter Britian and claim Benefits having never worked a day here before. Which is kind of why the vast majority of people were upset that the Gurkhas who have paid into and served the country were not.

Rheghead
22-May-09, 14:38

Killed by who?:confused

golach
22-May-09, 14:42

How many of them were suicide bombers or insurgents trying to kill our own soldiers and our Gurkha allies?

bekisman
22-May-09, 15:02
David: "And there have been 750,000 citizens of Iraq killed since 2003...just to get things into perspective"

Uh? your comment makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Incidentally, I find the above a rather strange statement especially when you wrote earlier: "than in my 7 years in the forces." (5th July 2008). And yet you ask: "As far as I am aware service personnel pay nowt towards their pension pot" Surely as an ex-squaddie you would/must know the answer to that? I did.

Interested to see you were in both the Fire Service AND the Army - what mob was that then? never yet come across a squaddie who denigrated the Gurks.. hmm

You then state: "Why can't a fireman cover for a serviceman? Having been both I can say I was in more danger in the Fire Service than in my 7 years in the forces." Seven years? then a fire-fighter?, rather confusing all this, after your comment "Not true. I was invited to apply for this [Jobseekers Allowance] a few years ago until they discovered I had a pension. This was when I was 35 years old. Maybe the rules have changed since then?" in relation to a statement that you CANNOT claim Jobseekers Allowance unless you are UNDER State Pension age.
Hope not being too nosey but pension at 35 and you served in the Army for 7 years AND the Fire Service?

(Me? 15 years Army 11 years Fire Service - there, see it's easy)

rich
22-May-09, 15:02
Now is the time to raise money for my "SEND PERCY TO NEPAL" fund. He might enjoy himslef so much that he would settle there. I should point out that this would be a one-way ticket.
Cheques and postal orders please to Rich Enterprises, Watten, Ontario
Thank you!

bekisman
22-May-09, 15:11
"The Gurkhas are a very remarkable organization. They have very good fighters," said Brig.-Gen, Guy Laroche, commander of the Canadian Forces in Afghanistan. "We want to keep on working with them as long as we can."

Now ain't that nice - got this from my son (ex-Army now living in Richmond, Toronto)

http://milmat.blogspot.com/2008/01/canadians-and-ghurkas-in-afghanistan.html (http://milmat.blogspot.com/2008/01/canadians-and-ghurkas-in-afghanistan.html)

Rheghead
22-May-09, 15:17
"The Gurkhas are a very remarkable organization. They have very good fighters," said Brig.-Gen, Guy Laroche, commander of the Canadian Forces in Afghanistan. "We want to keep on working with them as long as we can."

Now ain't that nice - got this from my son (ex-Army now living in Richmond, Toronto)

http://milmat.blogspot.com/2008/01/canadians-and-ghurkas-in-afghanistan.html (http://milmat.blogspot.com/2008/01/canadians-and-ghurkas-in-afghanistan.html)

As a commander of Canadian forces and who always has a political need to keep Canadian casualties down then he would say that though, wouldn't he?

bekisman
22-May-09, 15:33
'As a commander of Canadian forces and who always has a political need to keep Canadian casualties down then he would say that though, wouldn't he? '

Possibly, but as you can read below, any help is certainly neeeded, and having Gurks certainly helps..
'A Canadian soldier serving in Kandahar is six times more likely to be killed by a hostile attack than a U.S. soldier serving in Iraq, a report released Monday suggests. The study, published by the Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives, says Canadian soldiers are incurring a "disproportionately heavy burden of casualties" among coalition troops in Afghanistan. Canadians have accounted for 43 per cent of all coalition military deaths in Afghanistan since February, the report, entitled 'Canada's Fallen,' says. It finds that, after the United States, Canada has suffered more casualties from hostile action in Afghanistan than any other U.S. ally -- 27 of 71 casualties, or two in five of non-U.S. deaths.'

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20060918/cdn_afghan_update_060918/20060918/ (http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20060918/cdn_afghan_update_060918/20060918/)

Gene Hunt
22-May-09, 15:35
As a commander of Canadian forces and who always has a political need to keep Canadian casualties down then he would say that though, wouldn't he?

To be honest Rhegs if you can find someone who has worked with the Gurkha's who doesnt think they are impressive and effective I will be surprised. Ask the Argie's who ran down the opposite side of the hill the Gurkha's were climbing up in the Falklands when they saw them. And you know what ??, if I looked out of my trench and saw Gurkha's advancing on me with a Kukri drawn .. I would be off too. Because thats not going to end well for me. I never met anyone in my time in the TA who didnt have the greatest respect for them and their abilities. And their curries of course. Awesome they were.

Rheghead
22-May-09, 15:48
To be honest Rhegs if you can find someone who has worked with the Gurkha's who doesnt think they are impressive and effective I will be surprised. Ask the Argie's who ran down the opposite side of the hill the Gurkha's were climbing up in the Falklands when they saw them. And you know what ??, if I looked out of my trench and saw Gurkha's advancing on me with a Kukri drawn .. I would be off too. Because thats not going to end well for me. I never met anyone in my time in the TA who didnt have the greatest respect for them and their abilities. And their curries of course. Awesome they were.

I wasn't making a comment about their renowned bravery or lack of etc. To be honest I'm not interested. But I was making the angle that a commander would want other nationalities to fight his own battles for him and making the enemy run at the thought of being cut up with a Kukri must be an added bonus.

The ultimate expendable army would be a robot army but would that be immoral against a less technological foe?:confused

percy toboggan
22-May-09, 16:25
Oh dear...is this a portent?
Or will their kids join the army too..
at least they are nice and handy for Aldershot...
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/hampshire/4278544.stm

percy toboggan
22-May-09, 16:33
Seems the folk of Hampshire are bracing themselves....

'knife carrying hoodlums' ??
Who'd have thought it...
like father like son perhaps?

link withdrawn because it's too old.
I'll be going myself soon.

scorrie
22-May-09, 16:47
Seems the folk of Hampshire are bracing themselves....
http://www.gethampshire.co.uk/news/s/2040942_preparing_for_new_gurkha_influx

'knife carrying hoodlums' ??
Who'd have thought it...
like father like son perhaps?

Did you bother to read the article Percy? I suggest you try again if you have, because the content actually debunks your thrust on this matter. Your link in the previous post is almost four years old and proves very little other than that you are struggling to find a recent and pertinent article. There are any number of goons with chibs, from all backgrounds, in this country.

percy toboggan
22-May-09, 16:52
Did you bother to read the article Percy? I suggest you try again if you have, because the content actually debunks your thrust on this matter. Your link in the previous post is almost four years old and proves very little other than that you are struggling to find a recent and pertinent article. There are any number of goons with chibs, from all backgrounds, in this country.

Skimmed it Scorrie,
I can't spend too much time on Gurkhas and the Nepalese...until recently they are not something I'v e thought about very much at all to be honest.Beyond the book 'Into Thin Air' I know little of Nepal...
If the age of the article offends you then fair enough - I'll withdraw it.(is the other one more pertinent?)

As for Rich and his 'Send Percy to Nepal' fund - I'm up for it.
I like immersing myself in foreign cultures, particularly if I can stomach the grub.

My ongoing recovery has left me feeling fit enough to contemplate a walk up Ben Nevis next year, but Sagamartha may be asking a little too much, even if Mr.Fiennes managed it - and he's even older than I am ! :eek:

Let me know if you're inudated with cheques.(or is that ANOTHER immigration thread?)

scorrie
22-May-09, 17:00
Shocking footage just in of a WHITE youth with a knife:-

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i237/scorrie57/SuperStock_1444R-260420.jpg

Investigations reveal that there is no cause for alarm. A BNP spokesman said:-

"Look, the guy is WHITE, it is obvious there is nothing sinister here. This lad was just heading round to a pensioners house to help peel her tatties, when the photographer took the photo and obviously got the wrong end of the stick. It is safe enough when you see white lads with knives, they are only whittling sticks to pass the time, or helping to get stones out of horses hooves. You only need to worry when brown or black coloured people have knives on them, as they don't have our British sense of fair play and decency"

bekisman
22-May-09, 17:02
Oh dear Percy exaggerating again? you must stop this xenophobia
Re #88; 'He said there was not a divide between the two communities: "That was just one mad fight."
Percy, you must read 'Gangs of Manchester' Hooligans' history; Alfred Hickling on the late 19th century's style-conscious Mancunians, happens everywhere.
And reference your #89 "and misunderstandings between the indigenous white population and the new arrivals, One welcome development is that overt racism, while still experienced by members of the Nepalese community, is not as widespread as previously feared, [well it is in certain places?] the meeting was told.. Percy: 'knife carrying hoodlums' ?? totally and I'm afraid usual exaggeration Fact: "Myths about the new arrivals still abound, with stories about immigrant families being given preferential access to council houses, benefits and jobs, and Nepalese youths feared as knife-carrying hoodlums"
Lets have a deeper look:
In reality, according to Peter Amies, head of Rushmoor Borough Council’s community department, the evidence points to the contrary.
Extracts from housing registers and council records show that the vast majority of Nepalese immigrants either privately rent or buy their own homes, and that the majority of adults of working age are employed in one or more jobs, he said.
Data from schools shows that schools with a higher than average number of children from immigrant families actually perform better in exam league tables. In addition, a number of zero-tolerance police operations to stop and search teenagers for weapons and drugs have uncovered just a handful of blades being carried by youths from Nepalese backgrounds. Police have concluded that the reality is a far cry from the mistaken belief that it is traditional for Nepalese boys to carry kukris - the curved knives used on the battlefield by the Gurkhas.The council is now preparing a “myth-busting” fact sheet to distribute to key people throughout the area to try to dispel some of the myths that are perpetuated about the Nepalese population.
PS I like your bottom line Percy: "and half-baked opinions in equal measure"

percy toboggan
22-May-09, 17:11
Just what we want eh...a load of foreign kids out-performing our own at school.
As if they aren't demoralised enough!

I know I said I'd done on this topic, and one or two of you can't see the bulge in my cheek during any of this - especially the two main dunderheads.

There should be a clue in the 'half-baked bit' - when I see the plodding style of bekisman and think how long it took him to bash out that reply I really should stop it. Now!
But I might not.

Gene Hunt
22-May-09, 17:17
It seems we cant even discuss the Gurkha's now without Percy turning up spouting his usual load of drivel and taking sly digs at the Gurkha's, the Army or the Armed Forces. Frankly I am sick of people who have never been near a uniform (or have and didnt stay in it long enough to get it dirty) wading into these guys on a personal level. Implying they are somehow a new brand of hoodie is just stupid. They are hard working, honourable people who would make brilliant neighbours. Jox works with ex Gurkha's and see his comments.

I would welcome the Gurkha's living near me as opposed to the Jeremy Kyle watching dole scrounging abusive filth I have to put up with near me. I would happily live in a street with nothing but Gurkha neighbours. Plus they have a quality I like, they back up what they say which is a lot more than can be said for some of their detractors. I never met a Gurkha I didnt like, I wish I could say the same for other Brits.

784pete
22-May-09, 17:58
It seems we cant even discuss the Gurkha's now without Percy turning up spouting his usual load of drivel and taking sly digs at the Gurkha's, the Army or the Armed Forces. Frankly I am sick of people who have never been near a uniform (or have and didnt stay in it long enough to get it dirty) wading into these guys on a personal level. Implying they are somehow a new brand of hoodie is just stupid. They are hard working, honourable people who would make brilliant neighbours. Jox works with ex Gurkha's and see his comments.

I would welcome the Gurkha's living near me as opposed to the Jeremy Kyle watching dole scrounging abusive filth I have to put up with near me. I would happily live in a street with nothing but Gurkha neighbours. Plus they have a quality I like, they back up what they say which is a lot more than can be said for some of their detractors. I never met a Gurkha I didnt like, I wish I could say the same for other Brits.

can we not ban his idiotic views from this threat as we all seem to be getting really fed up with them, its clearly a subject this uniform hating clown knows little or nothing about and is close to racisim at points.

Gene Hunt
22-May-09, 18:18
can we not ban his idiotic views from this threat as we all seem to be getting really fed up with them, its clearly a subject this uniform hating clown knows little or nothing about and is close to racisim at points.

No, we cant ban him from the thread. Percy has spiced the thread up with his prejudices. I kind of like Percy's posts really, its like getting a preview of what being senile would be like.

bekisman
22-May-09, 18:21
"dunderheads." (as in a foolish, stupid person) I'm one I presume? Naughty, naughty, Percy name calling, a bit devoid of imagination there mate..

"when I see the plodding style of bekisman and think how long it took him to bash out that reply"
Sorry about that mate but I have bit of a busy life, not sat in front of a PC all day banging out burble - I like to check me facts before I go spouting off with misleading information..

bekisman
22-May-09, 18:25
Opps just noticed Percy, where's your #89: http://www.gethampshire.co.uk/news/s/2040942_preparing_for_new_gurkha_influx (http://www.gethampshire.co.uk/news/s/2040942_preparing_for_new_gurkha_influx) Gone?

As I said 'I like to check me facts before I go spouting off with misleading information..'

Alice in Blunderland
22-May-09, 18:27

Its a public forum with many people with differing views posting. :)

Some posters you will agree with and some you will big time disagree with but this is what makes for a good forum and also then good debates. :)

As long as the poster is sticking within the rules all you can do is use the ignore option.

bekisman
22-May-09, 18:49
A in B: Its a public forum with many people with differing views posting. :o) Some posters you will agree with and some you will big time disagree with but this is what makes for a good forum and also then good debates. :o) As long as the poster is sticking within the rules all you can do is use the ignore option.

Quite agree, he keeps me smiling!

_Ju_
22-May-09, 18:54
Now is the time to raise money for my "SEND PERCY TO NEPAL" fund. He might enjoy himslef so much that he would settle there. I should point out that this would be a one-way ticket.
Cheques and postal orders please to Rich Enterprises, Watten, Ontario
Thank you!

Whatever have the Nepalese done to deserve that?

david
22-May-09, 18:55
How many of them were suicide bombers or insurgents trying to kill our own soldiers and our Gurkha allies?

Maybe 750,000?

_Ju_
22-May-09, 19:00
Just what we want eh...a load of foreign kids out-performing our own at school.
As if they aren't demoralised enough!

Thats right....lowering (not raising) the standard is the way to go. How did I NEVER think of that????????????? School as a means to pass time until you are old enough (or pregnant) to claim benefits and council house.

david
22-May-09, 19:11
David: "And there have been 750,000 citizens of Iraq killed since 2003...just to get things into perspective"

Uh? your comment makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Incidentally, I find the above a rather strange statement especially when you wrote earlier: "than in my 7 years in the forces." (5th July 2008). And yet you ask: "As far as I am aware service personnel pay nowt towards their pension pot" Surely as an ex-squaddie you would/must know the answer to that? I did.

Interested to see you were in both the Fire Service AND the Army - what mob was that then? never yet come across a squaddie who denigrated the Gurks.. hmm

You then state: "Why can't a fireman cover for a serviceman? Having been both I can say I was in more danger in the Fire Service than in my 7 years in the forces." Seven years? then a fire-fighter?, rather confusing all this, after your comment "Not true. I was invited to apply for this [Jobseekers Allowance] a few years ago until they discovered I had a pension. This was when I was 35 years old. Maybe the rules have changed since then?" in relation to a statement that you CANNOT claim Jobseekers Allowance unless you are UNDER State Pension age.
Hope not being too nosey but pension at 35 and you served in the Army for 7 years AND the Fire Service?

(Me? 15 years Army 11 years Fire Service - there, see it's easy)

Not sure what you want here. When I was in the forces I was unaware of paying anything into a pension pot-perhaps I was wrong. I joined the forces at 17 and left for the Fire Service after 7 years. I remained in the Fire Service until I was 33. I hope this helps with your confusion.

bekisman
22-May-09, 20:24
David: Not sure what you want here. When I was in the forces I was unaware of paying anything into a pension pot-perhaps I was wrong. I joined the forces at 17 and left for the Fire Service after 7 years. I remained in the Fire Service until I was 33. I hope this helps with your confusion.

Me (Army) served in N.Ireland, Aden, Germany, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Singapore.
Fire Service: West Mids, be nice, as you're an ex-squaddie, where did you serve and nice, being an ex-fire-fighter, what Brigade?

david
22-May-09, 21:08
David: Not sure what you want here. When I was in the forces I was unaware of paying anything into a pension pot-perhaps I was wrong. I joined the forces at 17 and left for the Fire Service after 7 years. I remained in the Fire Service until I was 33. I hope this helps with your confusion.

Me (Army) served in N.Ireland, Aden, Germany, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Singapore.
Fire Service: West Mids, be nice, as you're an ex-squaddie, where did you serve and nice, being an ex-fire-fighter, what Brigade?

Falklands 2 tours. Fire Service Bucks and Staffs. High wycombe, Lichfield, Burton on Trent.

bekisman
23-May-09, 10:40
'Falklands 2 tours. Fire Service Bucks and Staffs. High wycombe, Lichfield, Burton on Trent.'
Thanks for that.. Just surprised that a squaddie would say (05-Jul-08) "We should be looking after our own folks rather than paying for retired mercanarys." and (21-May-09) "Agree on the guns for hire, how many British mercanarys are allowed to stay in the country they were employed to kill in,"
I've spoken to my three 'boys', and with me and them covers a period of 46 years Forces service, never once have any of us heard a disparaging remark re the Gurks..
(Forgive me, but I can't help putting my other hat on, see my Public Profile.) And I'm only taking this from what's on the forum anyway..
As you mention above you were in the Army(?) from age 17 to 24, thence Fire Service until age 33 years [and had to retire with a knee injury]. , i.e. 7 years in Forces and 9 years in Brigade?. You mention (05-Jul-08) "far as I am aware service personnel pay nowt towards their pension pot" and then,(22 May 09) "When I was in the forces I was unaware of paying anything into a pension pot-perhaps I was wrong.". And then (29-Mar-08) "The point I am making is that I was paying around 13% of my wage into my pension fund for 16 years" - I am aware that Fire Service contributions are that % but Forces is non-contributary so not quite sure where the 16 years comes from.
Anyway, hope you don't mind my asking the above. You were obviously too young for the Falklands War, what mob were you in?

Tubthumper
23-May-09, 11:16
You were obviously too young for the Falklands War, what mob were you in?
Either 1st Battalion the Royal Highland Dancers or a Regiment of the 'Whine' by the look of things.
I would far rather have some of these gents and their families in my neighbourhood than some of the dross, leftovers and throwbacks that populate our towns and cities.

david
23-May-09, 19:23
Either 1st Battalion the Royal Highland Dancers or a Regiment of the 'Whine' by the look of things.
I would far rather have some of these gents and their families in my neighbourhood than some of the dross, leftovers and throwbacks that populate our towns and cities.

Shame you are unable to move. This is a wonderful place to live. I couldn't wait to get back to Caithness after serving my country in various capacities since leaving at an early age.

bekisman
18-Jun-09, 18:19
Liked to have been in Folkstone today as one of the 10,000 supporters! Well done...
Actress Joanna Lumley joined thousands of people to celebrate the Gurkhas being given the freedom of the Kent town where they are based. About 10,000 people lined the streets of Folkestone to witness a parade by 630 members of the 2nd Battalion the Royal Gurkha Rifles (2 RGR). The regiment returned from a tour of duty in Afghanistan six weeks ago. Two members of the regiment lost their lives during the deployment. Rifleman Yubrai Raj, 28, and Colour Sergeant Krishna Dura, 36, were both killed in November last year in separate incidents. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/kent/8107081.stm (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/kent/8107081.stm)

ss.sv650
28-Jun-09, 15:04

offensive racisit and banned !!!!