PDA

View Full Version : Badgers

Kathy@watten
07-May-09, 18:39
Didn't think we got badgers up here but on Tuesday when travelling back north we saw and stopped to find a monster large male badger who had been killed at the side of the road just south of Latheron, are there more??? Pictures were taken at the scene to prove it was a badger and to convince the otherhalf that my tired mind was not playing tricks on me (has been known to report exotics only to find it was a cat!!)

unicorn
07-May-09, 18:49
Sadly now I have seen a couple dead on the same road.

r.rackstraw
07-May-09, 21:57
Yes there has been a small population of badgers in that area for many years.
There are occasional sightings elsewhere in Caithness but they may be wanderers from Dunbeath/Latheron or from Strath Halladale.
Has anyone else seen badgers in Caithness?

Haweswater
14-May-09, 00:17
I'm aware of at least two occupied setts in Caithness. Both have sustained generations of badgers for well over forty years.
Whilst it is no bad thing to encourage those interested in seeing them, we should be hesitant about identifying specific locations as those involved in the illegal and cruel activity of badger digging (central Scotland based) will travel great distances to satisfy their blood-lust.
I am aware of illegal activity around setts in Sutherland, proving that distance is no object.