PDA

View Full Version : Black Grouse just outside Thurso

Dorrie
06-May-09, 20:34
Hi, I am not a bird watcher as such but have recently started feeding the birds. We planted trees about 10 years ago and they are coming on nicely, we are now finding that we get different birds and that has got me interested in them.

As we were heading into Thurso tonight (about 6pm), we saw in a field a large very glossy black bird, I guess pheasant size but rounder and it had a very very bright red top on it's head. I have never seen these birds before, have I just not noticed them?

I will try and get some photos if I can - I would like to go out early one morning and see what I see. :)

The new birds that we have this year are greenfinches, I'm sure most people get them on their bird tables but we have never seen them at our house before and it is lovely. We also have a pheasant which I often see in the veg garden or field.

Does anyone know of black grouse being seen in Caithness?

r.rackstraw
06-May-09, 22:26
Yes please try to get a photo.
Black Grouse had a toehold at Rumster Forest a few years ago. Not sure if they are still there. I think there have been a few scattered records elsewhere in Caithness but they are certainly very scarce.

Kenn
07-May-09, 09:02
Have seen a grouse out by the standing stones just north of the forrest but only the once last autumn.Hear then calling from time to time also.
Have seen several very dark verging on black cock pheasants from Cairngorm through to the north so will be interested to see a photo.

Dorrie
07-May-09, 09:20
If I can get a photo but I will try - but not today in the high wind! lol

nirofo
07-May-09, 14:19
Here's a couple of Black Grouse photo's to be going on with.

Black Grouse male on lookout at Lek.
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o71/nirofo/Birds/BlackGrousemaleonlookoutatLek.jpg

Black Grouse male (Blackcock).
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o71/nirofo/Birds/BlackGrousemale.jpg

nirofo.

the_count
08-May-09, 00:02
This is one of my "Must Photograph" birds lol nice 2nd shot nirofo were you in a hide to get that or is it a long lens shot? :cool:

nirofo
08-May-09, 01:26
This is one of my "Must Photograph" birds lol nice 2nd shot nirofo were you in a hide to get that or is it a long lens shot? :cool:

They are great birds to photograph, both shots were taken from a hide set up near a lek on a forestry track using a 400mm lens. You need to be in the hide from about 02.00 in the morning, the birds start appearing about 03.00 but the light is still not good enough until about 05.00, (if it's a good day that is). The experience of being close to lekking Blackcocks is tremendous, the fantastic sounds they create when doing their mock battles is something to remember for the rest of your life. The lekking starts slowly as the light improves and builds up to a crescendo, suddenly it's all over and the birds melt away into the woods. The quietness after all that is deafening and you feel totally shattered !!!

Unfortunately the birds have decreased to such low numbers now almost everywhere, it's difficult to locate a regular lekking site, most only have 2 to 3 birds turn up. You'll need to put in a lot of work or be very lucky to discover a regular lek anywhere near Thurso, you'll probably have to spend many sleepless nights sitting in the car on forestry tracks listening for lekking birds. Once you've heard them you'll never forget the sounds they make. I might have some old tape recordings of the lekking sounds somewhere, probably in the loft, I've not played them for some time but if they are still any good I'll try to post a copy here.

nirofo.

cazmanian_minx
08-May-09, 18:18
If anyone's prepared to get up that early, the rangers are doing a trip to watch black grouse at a lek starting at 6.30am tomorrow morning - meeting at the Ferrycroft Visitor centre, Lairg. See:

http://www.highland.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/8F70E038-8355-4261-9381-473D1579894E/0/Caithnesseventbooklet2009.pdf

for full details.

nirofo
08-May-09, 19:40
If anyone's prepared to get up that early, the rangers are doing a trip to watch black grouse at a lek starting at 6.30am tomorrow morning - meeting at the Ferrycroft Visitor centre, Lairg. See:

http://www.highland.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/8F70E038-8355-4261-9381-473D1579894E/0/Caithnesseventbooklet2009.pdf

for full details.

I hope the birds are still lekking when they get there?

nirofo.