PDA

View Full Version : Spot On.

cuddlepop
06-May-09, 17:20
As you know we've got a Beardie cross whose just a fluff ball.In March we treated him for ticks with the stuff thats extremely poisonous to cats ,cant remember the name.He was still picking up ticks so trated him again with Spot On and he's still picking up ticks as is the wee collie.Anyone else having this problem?

PAH26
06-May-09, 17:52
Many over-the-counter spot-ons for fleas and ticks (Bob Martin for example)contain pyrethroids (synthetic compound similar to pyrethrins, a naturally-occuring compound derived from certain plants) which are EXTREMELY poisonous to cats. They are meant to kill the ticks on contact, i.e before they get a chance to bite so I'm kind of at a loss on this one. My suggestion is that as the spot-on has to dissolve in the sebum (natural skin oils) and spread over the body that way it is possible parts of the body are not protected.

I'll wait to see if Neil comes on for help on this one, he's a flea and tick expert :Razz

PAH26
06-May-09, 17:57
Oh I should also note that it can take up to 48 hours to kill ticks, unlike the 24 hours for fleas. The packaging should state this. Therefore I would be recommended not to let your dog in tick-infested areas for that 48 hours until the treatment has spread via the method I mentioned previously.

Liz
06-May-09, 17:58
I give Billy No Mates which is a natural product which is added to food.

He has never had fleas or ticks so must assume it works or we have been very lucky.

cuddlepop
06-May-09, 18:10
I give Billy No Mates which is a natural product which is added to food.

He has never had fleas or ticks so must assume it works or we have been very lucky.

Billy No Mates is a brilliant name for tick potions.Dont want to overdoze the dogs so not sure what to do.

Liz
06-May-09, 18:24
Yep great name isn't it?

I'm not sure what to recommend as,personally, I don't like using chemicals on my animals but realise that ticks are a real problem and can cause health problems.
You can actually get a wee device which you attach to their collar and it emits an electromagnetic field which ticks and fleas don't like.
You can get it from Pet Planet.

cuddlepop
06-May-09, 18:26
Yep great name isn't it?

I'm not sure what to recommend as,personally, I don't like using chemicals on my animals but realise that ticks are a real problem and can cause health problems.
You can actually get a wee device which you attach to their collar and it emits an electromagnetic field which ticks and fleas don't like.
You can get it from Pet Planet.

Thanks Liz will look it up.