PDA

View Full Version : Sugar Free Chocolates and Sweets

Kodiak
06-May-09, 15:05
There has been lots of Posts about Sweets. Seeing that both me and Mrs Kodiak are Diabetic we can not eat any, sadness :~(

A while ago I came across a site that sold Sugar Free Sweets and Chocolates, perfect if you are a Diabetic or on a Diet. :D

Mind you due to being made with Maltitol be careful how many you eat at a time. :eek:

Here is the link to this site :-

http://www.sugarfreesuperstore.co.uk/

I am running low and will need to put in an order soon, YUM !!

EDDIE
06-May-09, 17:11
I like weather originals sweetys problem i have is i have a headful of fillings and i tried buying the suger free ones but ok it might be sugar free but it also tastes rubbish be just as well not bothering buy it.

Kodiak
06-May-09, 17:25
I can honestly say that anything I have bought from them has been lovely. Since they replace the sugar with Malitol they taste as good as any sweet that contains sugar.

bish667
06-May-09, 17:53
I'm also a diabetic, i eat sweets but in moderation, mostly eat them when needed tho, but if your type 2 i guess that makes a difference.

starry
06-May-09, 18:05
Another diabetic :cool:

bish667
06-May-09, 18:09
They're bloody everywhere :roll: :lol:

Rheghead
06-May-09, 18:21
Tesco sell sugar-free Polos.

neepnipper
06-May-09, 18:54
www.aquarterof.co.uk (http://www.aquarterof.co.uk) sell lts of sugar free sweets.

Kodiak
06-May-09, 19:03
www.aquarterof.co.uk (http://www.aquarterof.co.uk) sell lts of sugar free sweets.

Yes they do but do they sell Creamy Sugar Free Belgian Chocolate? MMMM Lovely :Razz

Kevin Milkins
06-May-09, 22:31
This post reminds me of the up and coming Welsh boxer, Sugar Dai Betus.:lol:

ShelleyCowie
06-May-09, 22:49

Added to my favourites list!

Maybe i can endulge my cake craving with this! :Razz

Fran
07-May-09, 02:22
Beware of sugar free chocolates. i was delighted when i found them but ended up eating the lot, not many in the bag, and spent the rest of the day on the toilet!!! You have been warned!!

Metalattakk
07-May-09, 02:44
There has been lots of Posts about Sweets. Seeing that both me and Mrs Kodiak are Diabetic we can not eat any, sadness :~(

A while ago I came across a site that sold Sugar Free Sweets and Chocolates, perfect if you are a Diabetic or on a Diet. :D

Mind you due to being made with Maltitol be careful how many you eat at a time. :eek:

Most of them still have a high carbohydrate content. Just because they're classed as 'sugar-free' doesn't mean they are 'carbohydrate-free'. Most of these products are no better for a diabetic than 'real' sweets.

For diabetics there is no such thing as 'eat-as-many-sweets-as-you-want', whether they are 'sugar-free' or not.

'Everything In Moderation' is the diabetic's mantra, and if that means having a wee (real) sweetie every now and then, then so be it. As long as it's not all the time.

BINBOB
31-May-09, 11:36
Beware of sugar free chocolates. i was delighted when i found them but ended up eating the lot, not many in the bag, and spent the rest of the day on the toilet!!! You have been warned!!

it is a great way to lose weight rapidly.............dietitians always rec. normal things,not diabetic subs. they are too expensive and give u tummy issues ,if eaten to excess!!
mind u..all has to be in moderation.
hope u are ok now ,fran.;)

Kodiak
31-May-09, 12:17
it is a great way to lose weight rapidly.............dietitians always rec. normal things,not diabetic subs. they are too expensive and give u tummy issues ,if eaten to excess!!
mind u..all has to be in moderation.
hope u are ok now ,fran.;)

No Diabetic Nurse would recommend a Diabetic to have any form of a so called "Normal" Sweet or Chocolate as the Sugar content is too high, even a small bar.

With sugar Free chocolates a Diabetic can have a small sweet or piece of Chocolate without the intake of the concentrated Sugar in regular Chocolate.

For those of you who wish to know the exact content of a small Chocolate bar here is the list of ingredients, this is for a Orange Flavour Chocolate Bar, weight 18g which is just the perfect size for a one off Chocolate Treat. Cost 40p

Ingredients: Maltitol, Full Milk Powder, Cocoa Butter, Cocoa Mass, Vegetable Fats, Hazelnuts, Wheat Flour, Fat Reduced Cocoa, Emulsifier: Soy Lecithin, Flavourings, Skimmed Milk Powder, Salt, Cocoa Solids min 32%, Milk Solids min 21%.

You will note that the sugar replacement is Maltitol and in some people this can have an adverse reaction, ie running to the toilet.

At no time should anyone eat Sugar Free Chocolates or Sweets in large amounts. Whether you are a Diabetic or whatever you should only eat a Sugar Free Chocolate in Very Moderate Portions and then you should not have any adverse reaction to them.

They also do not need to be expensive and that is why I posted this web address. http://www.sugarfreesuperstore.co.uk/

But I do agree they are not for normal consumption but fine for that little Chocolate Treat. On saying if you can do without, this is the best way if you are a Diabetic, but every so often I crave for a bit of Chocolate so one of these small bars is perfect for me. But I only eat one and then it is days before I even contemplate another.

Metalattakk
31-May-09, 13:20
With sugar Free chocolates a Diabetic can have a small sweet or piece of Chocolate without the intake of the concentrated Sugar in regular Chocolate.

The carbohydrate intake is roughly the same though.

Ask your dietician or Diabetic Nurse and see if they recommend using 'sugar-free' chocolate or not.

Kodiak
31-May-09, 13:38
The carbohydrate intake is roughly the same though.

Ask your dietician or Diabetic Nurse and see if they recommend using 'sugar-free' chocolate or not.

I know all about the Carbohydrate content and you consume far more Carbohydrate's eating a Medium Boiled Potato. The actual Carbohydrate content of the Sugar Free Chocolate Bars I enjoy are :-

Carbohydrate 51.9g of which Polyols 47g

I have already asked my Designated Nurse and she is quite happy with me eating these Sugar Free Cocholate Bars in moderation. Since I only have perhaps 2 a week there is not a Problem.

starry
31-May-09, 14:02
No Diabetic Nurse would recommend a Diabetic to have any form of a so called "Normal" Sweet or Chocolate as the Sugar content is too high, even a small bar.

Mine has, well she hasn't said go and eat chocolate but she has told me to eat what I fancy in moderation and in her opinion diabetic foods are usually a waste of money.
I am lucky I don't really have a sweet tooth but when I do fancy something I just have normal choc, if I adjust my other food intake then it balances out.
But everyone is different and tolerates sugar/carbs differently, if sugar free works better for you then stick with it :)

bish667
31-May-09, 14:08
There's also a big difference in the way/things you eat depending on if your type 1 or type 2.
As Type 2 is more diet related.

I'm a type 1 and have never had an issue eating sweets 'in moderation'

BINBOB
31-May-09, 14:28
There's also a big difference in the way/things you eat depending on if your type 1 or type 2.
As Type 2 is more diet related.

I'm a type 1 and have never had an issue eating sweets 'in moderation'

thank u..ditto...;)

BINBOB
31-May-09, 14:29
Mine has, well she hasn't said go and eat chocolate but she has told me to eat what I fancy in moderation and in her opinion diabetic foods are usually a waste of money.
I am lucky I don't really have a sweet tooth but when I do fancy something I just have normal choc, if I adjust my other food intake then it balances out.
But everyone is different and tolerates sugar/carbs differently, if sugar free works better for you then stick with it :)

absolutely correct...thank u...;)

BINBOB
31-May-09, 14:33

For those of you who wish to know the exact content of a small Chocolate bar here is the list of ingredients, this is for a Orange Flavour Chocolate Bar, weight 18g which is just the perfect size for a one off Chocolate Treat. Cost 40p

Ingredients: Maltitol, Full Milk Powder, Cocoa Butter, Cocoa Mass, Vegetable Fats, Hazelnuts, Wheat Flour, Fat Reduced Cocoa, Emulsifier: Soy Lecithin, Flavourings, Skimmed Milk Powder, Salt, Cocoa Solids min 32%, Milk Solids min 21%.

You will note that the sugar replacement is Maltitol and in some people this can have an adverse reaction, ie running to the toilet.

At no time should anyone eat Sugar Free Chocolates or Sweets in large amounts. Whether you are a Diabetic or whatever you should only eat a Sugar Free Chocolate in Very Moderate Portions and then you should not have any adverse reaction to them.

They also do not need to be expensive and that is why I posted this web address. http://www.sugarfreesuperstore.co.uk/

But I do agree they are not for normal consumption but fine for that little Chocolate Treat. On saying if you can do without, this is the best way if you are a Diabetic, but every so often I crave for a bit of Chocolate so one of these small bars is perfect for me. But I only eat one and then it is days before I even contemplate another.

well can only tell what i have had said to me,by several dieticians over the last 15 years.i am TYPE 1.........and have NO diabetic complications at all.so real choccy has not caused me any issues..i know i am lucky.
but u must do as u are told and if it suits,well done.then there are bananas...............:roll:

Metalattakk
31-May-09, 14:39
I know all about the Carbohydrate content and you consume far more Carbohydrate's eating a Medium Boiled Potato.

20g of CHO per 100g of boiled potatoes.

The actual Carbohydrate content of the Sugar Free Chocolate Bars I enjoy are :-

Carbohydrate 51.9g of which Polyols 47g

I have already asked my Designated Nurse and she is quite happy with me eating these Sugar Free Cocholate Bars in moderation. Since I only have perhaps 2 a week there is not a Problem.

If you're only having 2 a week I'd just stick to normal chocolate as the difference is negligible (except for the price ;)).

Kodiak
31-May-09, 18:06
20g of CHO per 100g of boiled potatoes.

I have just weighed a one the Potatoes I have in the house and it was 350G, so that would make it a total of 70g of Carbohydrate.

If you're only having 2 a week I'd just stick to normal chocolate as the difference is negligible

If you think there is no Difference then you are incorrect, a Normal Bar of Chocolate not only has lots of Suigar it also has Carbohydrate's.

So if you are Diabetic you go your way and I will go mine.

My blood sugar is controlled as under 5 so I am happy, my Diabetic Nurse is happy with me as is my Doctor.

JimH
31-May-09, 18:27

No Diabetic clinic/nurse/carer whatever would recommend any form of sweets chocolate etc. All things affect all people in different ways.

The rule is eat normal - and in moderation.

We all need sugar in one form or another, but some of us (Me included) are diabetic, and need help to process it.

So called sugar free stuff is usually expensive and totally unnecessary.

Metalattakk
31-May-09, 18:30
I have just weighed a one the Potatoes I have in the house and it was 350G, so that would make it a total of 70g of Carbohydrate.

Well, did you boil that 'medium' potato first or not?

I just took a medium potato (uncooked) and weighed it - 134g. Someone's either talking tosh or twisting the figures to match their argument.

If you think there is no Difference then you are incorrect, a Normal Bar of Chocolate not only has lots of Suigar it also has Carbohydrate's.

Your 'sugar free' alternative has the roughly same carbohydrates. After eating it, your blood sugar levels will still rise, albeit at a slightly slower rate.

As I said, the odd one here and there (twice a week in your case) won't do any harm, but nor will eating regular chocolate with the same regularity.

bish667
31-May-09, 19:42
I can happily live without sweets or chocolates.
The only reason i eat them is when my sugar levels are too low and I have to eat them.
The problem is its not just sweets and chocolate, pretty much everything we eat or drink is going to have carbohydrate of some form(apart from water mainly).

I didnt realise until about a year ago how much sugar was in milk :eek:

Fran
01-Jun-09, 01:37
I am diabetic, type 2, and have been told by the nurse to eat normal foods but watch what i am eating and not to have weight waTCHERS meals etc as they have more sugar in them than norm, and diabetic sweets are not good to eat either.

Metalattakk
01-Jun-09, 02:58
I didnt realise until about a year ago how much sugar was in milk :eek:

I've stopped drinking milk as it used to put my blood sugar levels totally doo-lally. I could have a cup of coffee in the morning (with milk) and my levels would just rocket sky-high.

As a type 1 child, I was encouraged to drink a pint of the damned stuff a day. And I did, as they told me it was good for me.

As has been said already though, everyone reacts differently.

BINBOB
01-Jun-09, 10:09
I am diabetic, type 2, and have been told by the nurse to eat normal foods but watch what i am eating and not to have weight waTCHERS meals etc as they have more sugar in them than norm, and diabetic sweets are not good to eat either.

spot on ,fran....;)

oldmarine
01-Jun-09, 18:32

I am a type 2 diabetic meaning I take a pill to control my diabetes. I don't respond to many of those ads because I want to know whether my physician would authorize those items on my diet list.