PDA

View Full Version : Dr Death's Roadshow

Kodiak
05-May-09, 13:44
Dr Nitschke, who is dubbed as Dr Death, has taken his euthanasia workshop to Bournemouth, well known as a place where the elderly retire.

Over 100 people turned up to see Australian Dr Philip Nitschke demonstrate his DIY suicide kit which includes an "exit bag", drugs from Mexico and "Peaceful Pills".

See Link :-

http://www.itv.com/News/Articles/Dr-Death-brings-roadshow-to-UK-711195045.html

Should he have benn allowed to demostrate how to help someone to die, especially as in this country it is illegal to assist in suicide. Do you think he should even been allowed into this country?

Should we have the right to help a loved one die if they wish to or is this just too dangerous and could be used for all the wrong reasons?

The Angel Of Death
05-May-09, 13:50
Yes we should have the right we don't let an animal suffer when its in pain and on its last legs (no pun intended) so why should we let a human go through the same

I know if it happened to me i would want to choose when the time was right for me to go not be stuck in some vegitive state dribbling all over the place making me a burden on loved ones or in so much pain I'm wishing for it to come

Obviously there would have to be a stringent process in effect to make sure the person is of sound mind and aware of what there doing etc but i see no reason for there not to be a place where people go within the uk to end there suffering

Rheghead
05-May-09, 14:13
I know if it happened to me i would want to choose when the time was right for me to go not be stuck in some vegitive state dribbling all over the place making me a burden on loved ones or in so much pain I'm wishing for it to come
Obviously there would have to be a stringent process in effect to make sure the person is of sound mind and aware of what there doing etc but i see no reason for there not to be a place where people go within the uk to end there suffering

What of persons who aren't able to come to that decision because of mental illness and who are in a vegetative state of pain and suffering?

Surely all persons are allowed a dignified death without pain and suffering? Will their dignity be ignored?

The Angel Of Death
05-May-09, 14:26
If there wishes are made clear before hand then i see no reason for a situation like that to hinder the process we all carry (or should) a donor card why not combine that with something to say that you want to be switched off if you happen to have an accident that leaves you in a vegetative state

I know my wishes are well known switch me of if I'm in such a state and harvest everything of use apart from my eyes (there the gateway to the soul you see) as there not much use to me after I'm gone may as well give em to someone who needs them

Rheghead
05-May-09, 14:33
So what you're saying is that persons who are in a painful vegetative state and who are unable to make a decision to exercise their right to die will be ignored to suffer in silence.

The Angel Of Death
05-May-09, 15:56
Obviously that's where there family would come into the equation but that opens up a can of worms where 2 siblings cant agree on letting go one does and one doesn't who is right in the eyes of the law ?

If a person is vegetative state in the eyes of the law they will be unable to make a sane decision but that's where a donor card type pre consent card could come into the equation

Would you carry such a card if it were available and legal in the event of something happening that left you unable to communicate your wishes ?

As it stands the law makes it illegal to provide ANY assistance on this my suggestions may not be perfect but i think they would be a step in the right direction

Rheghead
05-May-09, 16:09
Should he have benn allowed to demostrate how to help someone to die, especially as in this country it is illegal to assist in suicide. Do you think he should even been allowed into this country?

British law doesn't prevent anyone lecturing on the concept of suicide, he isn't assisting anyone to commit suicide.

Kodiak
05-May-09, 16:20
British law doesn't prevent anyone lecturing on the concept of suicide, he isn't assisting anyone to commit suicide.

What about him demonstrating his DIY suicide kit which includes an "exit bag", drugs from Mexico and "Peaceful Pills"

Surely this is more than just lecturing on the Concept of Suicide.

What would happen if someone bought a Suicide Kit from him and then using this Kit commited Suicide. Could that be clssed as assisting in a Suicide as he provided the means to do so?

The Angel Of Death
05-May-09, 17:08
What would happen if someone bought a Suicide Kit from him and then using this Kit commited Suicide. Could that be clssed as assisting in a Suicide as he provided the means to do so?

If i buy a car from you and use it for the sole purpose to commit suicide are you still assisting ?

Kodiak
05-May-09, 17:28
If i buy a car from you and use it for the sole purpose to commit suicide are you still assisting ?

Sorry but not the same thing.

A Car is made to transport you and Passengers. Not made to specifically Kill.

A Suicide Kit has only One Function and that is Commit Suicide.

Therefore the person selling must know in advance that it will be used to commit suicide and as such could be said they were assisting the Suicide.

Rheghead
05-May-09, 17:33
What about him demonstrating his DIY suicide kit which includes an "exit bag", drugs from Mexico and "Peaceful Pills"

Surely this is more than just lecturing on the Concept of Suicide.

A very small lightly colored grey area.

It is in the realms of committing an act 'to conspire to aiding and abetting murder', it is a legal non starter. Who is the victim? the weapon?

But there have been specific laws passed in this country in the same tone such as anti terrorist propaganda laws, the essential difference is that Dr Nitschke is doing it with the consent of victims.

Kodiak
05-May-09, 17:42
A very small lightly colored grey area.

It is in the realms of committing an act 'to conspire to aiding and abetting murder', it is a legal non starter. Who is the victim? the weapon?

You are quite correct it is a Very Grey Area.

If you obtain 20 Z***C***E tablets, Starred out as I did not want to put in the correct name, and then gave them to another person. This person swallowed them all and Died, then it is possible for you to be accused of Assisting a Suicide.

So would the same thing happen if you sold this same person a Suicide Kit and they then did take their own life using this Kit.

I do not know and that is the question

Rheghead
05-May-09, 18:02
So would the same thing happen if you sold this same person a Suicide Kit and they then did take their own life using this Kit.

I do not know and that is the question

I think he would be guilty of assisting suicide if he sold a ready-made kit to someone.

However, is he selling a marketed product or just demonstrating a device?:confused

Is he even selling parts to make his suicide design? I don't think so from what I can make out but I will be interested if otherwise.

Kodiak
05-May-09, 18:09
It says in the news article :-

Dr Philip Nitschke demonstrated his DIY suicide kit which includes an "exit bag", drugs from Mexico and "Peaceful Pills".

So it is His but it does not say he is selling it or not, only demostrating.

So the Mud thickens as they say.

MadPict
05-May-09, 20:02
Is he giving free classes?

Kodiak
05-May-09, 20:14
Is he giving free classes?

The report does not mention anything about a charge so I suppose it is free his lecture. :D

Are you Volunteering??

scorrie
05-May-09, 20:19
It says in the news article :-

Dr Philip Nitschke demonstrated his DIY suicide kit which includes an "exit bag", drugs from Mexico and "Peaceful Pills".

So it is His but it does not say he is selling it or not, only demostrating.

So the Mud thickens as they say.

How does he know the kit works?

Is it a case of "If you haven't tried it, don't knock it" and "If you have tried it, knock it if you still can" ;)