PDA

View Full Version : injections for dogs

purplelady
05-May-09, 12:54
My dogs have to go and have injections as they are going to stay with a lady from highland petcare for a week am a bit worried bout them having them as have read they can make older dogs ill was wondering does anyone on here have any advice on this they have to go tomorrow so am not looking forward to it x

GruesomeTwosome
05-May-09, 14:31
I have personally never had any trouble with any of my dogs ever having injections but if I were in your position I would seek advice from your vet. I'm sure they would be happy to answer any questions or concerns you may have.

Good luck

Margaret M.
05-May-09, 14:32
Which shot do you mean? If they need the shot (although there is also a nasal mist) for kennel cough because they will be around lots of other dogs, I would do that.

If it is the vaccinations that are recommended annually (Parvo, Distemper), I would ask the vet to do a Titer test to see if they need the shots. Studies show that our pets are usually over vaccinated. I have the vet do a Titer blood test on both my dogs to see if a vaccination is necessary and for the past four years the test showed that they were still immune and the vaccinations were not necessary. The vet indicates on their shot records that Titers was done so no shots were needed.

If you Google titers, you can find lots of info about it. Every vet in my area does the Titer test when requested. If your vet does Titer testing, check the cost -- if money is an issue you need to factor that in to your decision. If the Titer test indicates that their levels are low and they need the vaccination, then you have the additional cost.

"Dear Dr. Shawn:
"What do you currently recommend regarding vaccination of pets? I prefer not to give my dog and cat all those shots every year. One of my email groups said that vaccine recommendations have recently changed anyway, so annual shots might not even be needed. What do you think? I’m more than a little confused."

Answer:
”Excellent question. We now know that vaccines are not needed by most pets each year. Immunity from immunizations last more than 12 months, and in my practice many pets have immunity that lasts several years. I agree that annual shots should become a thing of the past, but certainly annual exams and diagnostic blood testing is essential in order to diagnose and treat diseases early before they become serious.
In my practice, I use a blood antibody test called a titer test to help me determine which vaccines a pet might require. This is a simple and inexpensive approach, but is not used by many doctors. A recent survey by the American Animal Hospital Association revealed that only 10% of doctors surveyed use vaccine titers in their practices. This is quite disappointing, but also encourages me to the extent that more doctors are starting to investigate a holistic approach to immunizations.
There is never any guarantee of protection, whether we use titers or immunize the pet. What is known is that unless the titer is low or non-existent, giving an extra vaccine to an adequately immunized pet is of no value, a waste of money, and possibly harmful. Vaccines are currently being investigated for links to a whole host of serious diseases, including thyroid disease, autoimmune disease, and cancers in pets. The less we immunize the pets the better for their health!
Finally, keep in mind that if the titer is low, I recommend trying to only immunize against the specific disease indicated by the low titer, rather than giving your pet a vaccine that contains everything. Finally, never vaccinate a sick pet. When needed, vaccines are only meant to be given to healthy pets.”

Tyke
05-May-09, 15:14
My dogs have to go and have injections as they are going to stay with a lady from highland petcare for a week am a bit worried bout them having them as have read they can make older dogs ill was wondering does anyone on here have any advice on this they have to go tomorrow so am not looking forward to it x
I agree with having dogs vacinated,but if your dogs are being looked after in your home or the carer's home why do you have to have them vacinated. Just curious!

Liz
05-May-09, 18:54
Could she not look after the dogs in your own home and then you wouldn't need to get them vaccinated?