PDA

View Full Version : The Delights Of Mma Ramotswe

mostlyharmless
04-Mar-06, 10:17
Having discovered the delights of this forum since work outside is difficult of late I have also enjoyed the stories of The No1 Ladies Detective Agency.Not only the idea of the warmth of Botswana but the warmth of the stories is a blessed relief from more tortuous subjects. [da vinci code...aah shouldnt have mentioned it]
I am on the fourth book already and hear there are two more and a film is being made too!

Anyone else discovered this or any other printable delights during this snow?

_Ju_
04-Mar-06, 13:42
Having discovered the delights of this forum since work outside is difficult of late I have also enjoyed the stories of The No1 Ladies Detective Agency.Not only the idea of the warmth of Botswana but the warmth of the stories is a blessed relief from more tortuous subjects. [da vinci code...aah shouldnt have mentioned it]
I am on the fourth book already and hear there are two more and a film is being made too!

Anyone else discovered this or any other printable delights during this snow?
I always have to brew loadsof rooibos when I read any ladies no. 1 detective agency. I got hooked when I heard part the first book dramatised on bbc 4 radio, when I was on a long drive. I did read some books, but hearing it on the radio with the accents and entonation was fantastic.I did rent an audio-book from the library but it was read in "straight" Queen's english. I don't know how to get hold of it, but try to find the dramatisation played on bbc4.

I've just read an Anita Shreeve book ( titled Eden Close) and enjoyed it quite alot. Maybe you would like her too?

unicorn
04-Mar-06, 13:50
I just finished Dean Koontz velocity it was good! :)

mostlyharmless
04-Mar-06, 14:10
What is eden close about?
Whats velocity about? roughly...

I find Red bush tea really good too even in the hot when I usually don't drink hot drinks at all. I wonder how much these books helped its sales, and indeed helped Botswana's economy?

unicorn
04-Mar-06, 14:14
velocity was about a guy who recieves notes that basically say if you go to the police I will kill a mother of 2 if you dont I will kill an old woman... so the guy tries to ignore it but it doesn't work and he is pulled into the murderers world anyway.... it was good lots of twists and turns in the story.

Errogie
04-Mar-06, 15:38
For a moment thought this thread was about the various e mails which I receive from Africa seeking help to relocate large sums of money out of the country usually accompanied by pitiful tales of murder and mayhem placing the poor unfortunate orphan survivor in a perilous position.

Glad it's not. The books are great, I like the basic story telling, writing style, which is a like a take on an old fashioned rural society even possibly closer to what it may have been like in Caithness 150 years ago, but with the different climate!

_Ju_
04-Mar-06, 16:02
Eden Close is about exploring the past in the history of a family by the boy who is now a man and lived nextdoor. The time period of growing up is the seventies in the far north USA (possibly close to a place like maine).

If you are into historical novels, try the Colleen MacCullough Roman series. Or if you are into celtic historical situated in Alba ( Scotland), I'm reading Jules watson's "white mare" and " dawn stag" right now....excellent!

weefee
04-Mar-06, 19:53
I just finished Dean Koontz velocity it was good! :)

yeah i've read that one too, its good, i thought Watchers was his best one.

Jeffrey Deaver is really good, especially for twists and turns, he wrote The Bone Collector but most of his others arn't as grisly as that.

unicorn
04-Mar-06, 19:54
I love Jeffery Deaver so difficult to put down once you start

mostlyharmless
04-Mar-06, 22:33
I wish I could afford to buy them all, maybe there should be some sort of book timeshare on the org...yes okay a library or even a review group for new books particularly local ones.

Maybe getting too far ahead of myself here, the snow will melt and my temporary cabin fever will be over....

In the meantime I'll try and find the next ladies detective agency books before I run out of time.

Fran
05-Mar-06, 23:33
I wish I could afford to buy them all, maybe there should be some sort of book timeshare on the org...yes okay a library or even a review group for new books particularly local ones.

Maybe getting too far ahead of myself here, the snow will melt and my temporary cabin fever will be over....

In the meantime I'll try and find the next ladies detective agency books before I run out of time.
the wick hospice has a huge selection of books upstairs in their shop and could order a particular one from one of their other shops maybe.

weefee
06-Mar-06, 00:23

well there is a music thread, so why not a book one? does anyone know of any good local authors?

angela5
06-Mar-06, 02:12
I love Jeffery Deaver so difficult to put down once you start

unicorn i have the same problem as you