PDA

View Full Version : The Yard

Amy-Winehouse
05-May-09, 11:04
Is it being taken over by new proprietors? I just walked past it & there was a white van outside with the steel shutter over the front door removed- obviously Ive heard rumours about who the next manager is going to be(living in Wick, its impossible not to!) but until this morning theres been no life in the building since about July last year.

Lets hope it is & it is run properly this time.

The Angel Of Death
05-May-09, 11:55
Mates were telling me last wee that the shutter was off and they had people in looking about checking the drains etc

No idea who mind you but its a start nice pub but i will always remember it as carters dunno why but it was just better then

telfordstar
05-May-09, 13:45
Ive not heard a thing who is taking it over i must lead a sheltered life here in wick.:lol:

I really cant see it making money at all and toon seems to be doing fine without it.

Invisible
05-May-09, 15:50
I've heard no crk about the Yard in ages.
I think the rumour van has run out of fuel.

im behind you
05-May-09, 17:48
Is it being taken over by new proprietors? I just walked past it & there was a white van outside with the steel shutter over the front door removed- obviously Ive heard rumours about who the next manager is going to be(living in Wick, its impossible not to!) but until this morning theres been no life in the building since about July last year.

Lets hope it is & it is run properly this time.
i must of been sleeping i thought the place just closed down after the new year sorry if im wrong

Gizmo
05-May-09, 17:54
i must of been sleeping i thought the place just closed down after the new year sorry if im wrong

I believe the 'No life since July last year' was a little dig at the way it was previously run..(into the ground)

Gizmo
05-May-09, 19:52
Well well, the plot thickens, just been passed some info that The Yard is to be taken over as an Indian Restaurant.

northener
05-May-09, 20:20
Well, that makes three different versions I've heard today!:Razz

Ah, Wickers...dontcha just love their never-ending quest for the truth.......

Gizmo
05-May-09, 20:28
Well, that makes three different versions I've heard today!:Razz

Ah, Wickers...dontcha just love their never-ending quest for the truth.......

Well, my info never came from a Wicker/Wick or Caithness ;)

Wick66
05-May-09, 20:37
Well well, the plot thickens, just been passed some info that The Yard is to be taken over as an Indian Restaurant.

Not sure about the restaurant bit but the owners of the Taj in Castletown were definately putting furniture in there on Monday evening.

LMS
05-May-09, 20:39

I spotted a car belonging to an Indian restaurant (signage on car door) sitting outside it on Monday night. I am a useless gossip though because I can't remember which one it was! Reminder - must try harder to remember useless information next time :)

northener
05-May-09, 21:06
So not a Chinese restaurant or Belhaven moving in with bulldozers...that's two Wick gossip items crushed straight away....:Razz

Maybe "Gossip Item No 3" was correct after all.

im behind you
05-May-09, 22:19
ye-a another take away/restaruant in the town we need another one of them dont we wonder what will end up in the old toymaster shop now that is empty again chineese maybe

Fran
06-May-09, 02:51
The door was open and people in there when i passed at 9am today

hotrod4
06-May-09, 06:28
ye-a another take away/restaruant in the town we need another one of them dont we wonder what will end up in the old toymaster shop now that is empty again chineese maybe
At least we will all die happy with Arteries the width of Bridge street!!![lol]
Serioulsy I hope that "normal" business' can be found for wicks vacant spaces.The old Azad vidoe shop was renovated but still no takers,its such a shame.

Amy-Winehouse
06-May-09, 12:48
The other rumour I was told was that the Yard was going to be renovated into a sort of strippers club once a month:confused I cant quite see that taking off in Wick somehow, some of these rumours are just fantastic imagination!!

I should have posted , whats the most outrageous rumour you have ever heard thread, I bet there would some absolute stoaters:cool:

Tubthumper
06-May-09, 13:14
I heard a rumour on the street
That pub once known as Carters
Has been bought over by the Queen
How’s that for juicy starters?

Apparently she’s opening
A thrift shop for the town
Where she can sell her dresses, shoes
Her orb, her golden crown

The Prince of Wales will man the till,
With Princess Ann on hand
To stack the shelves,
Unpack the boxes,
Hang up robes on stand

Prince Andrew is to drive the van
And load the stuff for sale
While Edward will around the town
pursue new business trail

Her Maj is hoping that the shop
Will turn round fortunes Wick
And raise some cash as credit crunch
Has left bank balance sick

Jacques Vert has opened in the town
for dresses smart and sleek
For ball-gown you could try this place
It will be called Phil Greek

northener
06-May-09, 13:22
The other rumour I was told was that the Yard was going to be renovated into a sort of strippers club once a month:confused I cant quite see that taking off in Wick somehow, some of these rumours are just fantastic imagination!!

I should have posted , whats the most outrageous rumour you have ever heard thread, I bet there would some absolute stoaters:cool:

This happened about 4-5 years ago in Wick:

There was a very unfortunate incident where a car went into Wick harbour - along with the occupant. No-one knew initially who was involved.

I was shocked and saddened to learn a couple of hours later that the occupant was a young woman who I had taught to drive...she was a lovely girl and had a couple of young kids. Really spoilt my day, as you can imagine......

Four hours later who did I see walking down Bridge St?[disgust]

I've never listened to the 'word on the street' since then.

Gizmo
06-May-09, 13:38

Mmmmm, me thinks that maybe a lot of these rumours are actually started by an Orger who has the username of a skanky drug riddled female [cough]..singer?...eh Amy? :lol:

Amy-Winehouse
06-May-09, 17:38
Mmmmm, me thinks that maybe a lot of these rumours are actually started by an Orger who has the username of a skanky drug riddled female [cough]..singer?...eh Amy? :lol:

Nope thats genuine rumour I heard last week while I was on my way through the town, Im glad I wasnt drinking coffee or Id have spat it all over the place in disbelief!!

Gizmo
06-May-09, 18:01
Nope thats genuine rumour I heard last week while I was on my way through the town, Im glad I wasnt drinking coffee or Id have spat it all over the place in disbelief!!

I hope it's not true, after seeing Weazle strutting his unique stuff on the old Yard pole dancing pole it's kinda put me off all stripper/pole dancer/lap dancer activities for life :lol:

dogman
06-May-09, 20:29
I hope it's not true, after seeing Weazle strutting his unique stuff on the old Yard pole dancing pole it's kinda put me off all stripper/pole dancer/lap dancer activities for life :lol:

On numerous occasions you joined him on the pole.;)

Gizmo
06-May-09, 21:31
On numerous occasions you joined him on the pole.;)

Lies lies and more lies....i deny all allegations :lol:

Amy-Winehouse
07-May-09, 11:04
Christopher Beattie was the best pole dancer the night I was in, although that lady Viviene from Broadhaven was allowed on it another night & it brought the house down, nobody could see for tears of laughter or embarrasment- I couldnt believe they would actually let her on the pole?

sevenfortyseven
07-May-09, 12:50
I heard a certain nightclub owner from thurso was looking at the yard, came from a reliable source too..... ;)

telfordstar
07-May-09, 14:20
Christopher Beattie was the best pole dancer the night I was in, although that lady Viviene from Broadhaven was allowed on it another night & it brought the house down, nobody could see for tears of laughter or embarrasment- I couldnt believe they would actually let her on the pole?

my word. :lol:

Gizmo
07-May-09, 14:33

But Weazle actually won the £50 first prize..on two occasions :lol:

tommy1979
07-May-09, 19:58

This is very true

The Yard shall be known from this day forward as the.................Spice Tandoori

DarkAngel
07-May-09, 21:30
This is very true

The Yard shall be known from this day forward as the.................Spice Tandoori

I Never Head That It Was The Spice Tandoori But i Did Hear That It Was Goin To Be A Indian Restaurant!!!!

Miss Mack
08-May-09, 14:27
Not sure about the restaurant bit but the owners of the Taj in Castletown were definately putting furniture in there on Monday evening.
Yip, my hubby seen them 2:eek:

jock leith
09-May-09, 02:21
The rumour in NZ is that the police have bought it and will be renamed
SCOTLAND YARD ????;)
JL

northener
09-May-09, 08:22
I saw a man in overalls and wearing a hard hat near The Yard yesterday, so it must be true that Bob The Builder is taking it over.....

Gizmo
09-May-09, 10:44
I saw a man in overalls and wearing a hard hat near The Yard yesterday, so it must be true that Bob The Builder is taking it over.....

[Sings out loud]...Can he fix it?...NO IT's...._ _ _ _ _ _ :D

cemmts
09-May-09, 11:05
lol :) dear dear gizmo

northener
09-May-09, 11:43
[Sings out loud]...Can he fix it?...NO IT's...._ _ _ _ _ _ :D

It most certainly is, Gizmo.:lol: Rather a large hole in which to throw thousands of pounds......

dirdyweeker
09-May-09, 16:08
The rumour in NZ is that the police have bought it and will be renamed
SCOTLAND YARD ????;)
JL

Like this suggestion. :)
The boys in blue will be nearer the action then at the weekends, might help reduce crime!

Gizmo
12-May-09, 20:38
Well, it's 100% true that it's going to become an Indian Resturant, i go to Wick College on a Tuesday afternoon and today there were a couple of Asian blokes hanging around outside it, checking things and pointing at stuff, so i popped over to ask them if it was true about it opening as a resturant, i never asked what it was going to be called but they said it opens next month.

loobyloo
12-May-09, 20:49

Christopher, you're shameless: imagine logging on as a female to big yourself up!

Amy-Winehouse
15-May-09, 10:13
Christopher, you're shameless: imagine logging on as a female to big yourself up!

Erm, Im definatley not mr Beattie, nor is my OH who posts on here sometimes using this name- sorry to dissapoint you. Now you have offended me [lol]

Alice in Blunderland
16-May-09, 16:07
i enjoyed gettin drunk an dancin on the pole but enjoyed it better when my pole got danced on hahaha.

and no, i dont log on as someone else an big myself up...sorry

ALBUM OUT SOON THOUGH

Kristafur I get your post but remember this is a family site feel free to let us know your likes and dislikes but just a little too much info for a Saturday afternoon me thinks. :)

Kristafur
16-May-09, 16:55
no, i dont log on as someone else an big myself up...sorry

2little2late
16-May-09, 20:18
Well, it's 100% true that it's going to become an Indian Resturant, i go to Wick College on a Tuesday afternoon and today there were a couple of Asian blokes hanging around outside it, checking things and pointing at stuff, so i popped over to ask them if it was true about it opening as a resturant, i never asked what it was going to be called but they said it opens next month.

Biggest heap of lies I have ever heard. It would need planning permission for change of use of premises. Has a planning application been submitted?

Gizmo
16-May-09, 20:26
Biggest heap of lies I have ever heard. It would need planning permission for change of use of premises. Has a planning application been submitted?

Are you calling me a liar?, I can assure you that the conversation I had with two Asian/Indian blokes outside The Yard on Tuesday afternoon at 2pm was NOT a figment of my imagination.

2little2late
16-May-09, 20:29
I'm talking about it being another restaurant being a load of tosh.

Gizmo
16-May-09, 20:31

So you're saying that they lied to me?, fair enough, time will tell, eh?

DeHaviLand
16-May-09, 20:32

If its opening up as a licensed restaurant, how is that different from its previous use. Spice Tandoori it is, as Tommywhatshisnumber already told you! :roll:

Gizmo
16-May-09, 20:41
If its opening up as a licensed restaurant, how is that different from its previous use. Spice Tandoori it is, as Tommywhatshisnumber already told you! :roll:

Good point DHL, I never thought of that, it already is licensed as a restaurant.

Kirdon
16-May-09, 20:52
Are you calling me a liar?, I can assure you that the conversation I had with two Asian/Indian blokes outside The Yard on Tuesday afternoon at 2pm was NOT a figment of my imagination.

I also spoke to the gentleman who has taken over these premises and he told me that it "IS" going to be an Indian restaurant. He already has at least one in Elgin.

Hen Broon
17-May-09, 09:02
I don't know about licensing laws but the yard previously served food, so would it need a change of use to become a full restaurant ?

WickLad08
17-May-09, 12:24
It wouldn't need a change of use at all - what a load of old tosh! Belhaven make their money on drink sales to the tenant not rent - therefore its a restaurant with bar the same as it was - no difference - no change of use - no license change.

im behind you
17-May-09, 13:45
i herd it is going to be an indian its going to be called tandori spice

Amy-Winehouse
17-May-09, 19:39

Sorry mate, yer post is like your username , 2 little & 2 late, it is going to be a Restaurant. I spoke with some guys who were fitting it out on Friday & they confirmed it.

Shame about the removal of the pole, but that went years ago- still , it was funny at the time eh guys?

tommy1979
17-May-09, 21:18
Shame about the removal of the pole, but that went years ago- still , it was funny at the time eh guys?

Nice avatar action shot of you on said yard pole :lol:;)

telfordstar
17-May-09, 22:22
well all I'm sure that time will tell what it's going to be and put rumers and who said what stories to rest.

Amy-Winehouse
17-May-09, 23:14
It cant be any worse than the last person in charge, thats for sure. least there will be someone in it at the weekends

The Angel Of Death
26-May-09, 12:13
Anyone know when this new indian is opening ?

See they got all the signs and stuff there already

Gizmo
26-May-09, 12:18

Anything to add to that statement now?...:lol:

I love it when people jump in feet first with a know it all statement and make themselves look daft :p

Blondie
26-May-09, 12:19

My friend was told yesterday by one of the guys thats its the 1st of June.

Gizmo
26-May-09, 12:22

I know i need new glasses, but those signs are really difficult to read unless your right up close, the red background is way too bright for that gold writing, still...looking forward to trying the food :)

Julia
26-May-09, 12:37
Well I hope the new restaurant does well, it's about time K2 had a little competition.

DeHaviLand
26-May-09, 13:00
Well I hope the new restaurant does well, it's about time K2 had a little competition.

Aye, and lets hope they have a sprinkler system fitted, in case things start to heat up :eek:

The Angel Of Death
26-May-09, 13:25
Aye, and lets hope they have a sprinkler system fitted, in case things start to heat up :eek:

For the toilet or the restaurant ;)

Miss Mack
26-May-09, 19:20
It was a great pub when Ed & Sylvia opened it many years ago.

dogman
26-May-09, 19:23
It was a great pub when Ed & Sylvia opened it many years ago.

It cetainly was.

It was a terrible pub when the last guy had his way with it.:(

katarina
27-May-09, 11:17
Do we really need another indian restaurant? Personally i would like to see a nice italian one or even greek.

poppett
27-May-09, 11:58
Nice Italian with good authentic pizza would do it for me.

Gizmo
27-May-09, 13:01
Do we really need another indian restaurant? Personally i would like to see a nice italian one or even greek.

With the pending court case against the owner of K2 for involvement in the fire at the Taj Mahal in Castletown i wouldn't hold your breath for the long term survival of K2.

Amy-Winehouse
27-May-09, 20:55

Im not alone then :D Id love an Italian restaurant in Wick also as Im not keen on the Indian food .

BonsBalls
01-Jun-09, 21:36
Well what can i say i went into the new Indian tonight for a menu but was blown away by the Friendly staff i decided get a takeaway :)

This is the best Indian meal i have ever had and believe me i have had a few in different places but this will TAKE SOME BEATING. Loads of quality big pieces of chicken that are so tender and tasty.

What a transformation from The Yard the new decor has a nice friendly warm feel about it and looks great.

I will be a regular from now on :)

butterfly
01-Jun-09, 23:05
With the pending court case against the owner of K2 for involvement in the fire at the Taj Mahal in Castletown i wouldn't hold your breath for the long term survival of K2.

You got a point there Gizmo!

catran
02-Jun-09, 23:56
Well what can i say i went into the new Indian tonight for a menu but was blown away by the Friendly staff i decided get a takeaway :)

This is the best Indian meal i have ever had and believe me i have had a few in different places but this will TAKE SOME BEATING. Loads of quality big pieces of chicken that are so tender and tasty.

What a transformation from The Yard the new decor has a nice friendly warm feel about it and looks great.

I will be a regular from now on :)
What I cannot understand is why does one have all these Indian restuarants and take aways in the likes of Caithness or wherever in Britain for that matter? If they are so great why cant people go to India for their holidays? Does India and China do British take aways? Apologies for being ignorant but for the life of me I cannot understand it. If we want a curry it is made at home (one knows what is in it) and it is probably just as good given all the spices that are available even in the Co-Op.

Aaldtimer
03-Jun-09, 03:11
What I cannot understand is why does one have all these Indian restuarants and take aways in the likes of Caithness or wherever in Britain for that matter? If they are so great why cant people go to India for their holidays? Does India and China do British take aways? Apologies for being ignorant but for the life of me I cannot understand it. If we want a curry it is made at home (one knows what is in it) and it is probably just as good given all the spices that are available even in the Co-Op.

Yes, you are being ignorant.
People do go to India on holiday, and Thailand, and Spain, and France, and anywhere else you can think of! They probably enjoy the local food too!
Quelle surprise!
As for your snide (one knows what is in it) comment...well, enough said!

Also "and it is probably just as good given all the spices that are available even in the Co-Op"...well, no actually, a genuine Indian/Pakistani/Thai/Spanish/Franch, whatever chef will always achieve much more than our feeble efforts.
I lived in Singapore for a couple of years, and ate where the locals ate. Singapore is multi-cultural btw, Chinese, Indian, Malay, Russian , you name it restaurants.
Believe me the Indian food we get in UK is much more like the real deal than anything you will get in your average Chinese restaurant here. :)

Nightingale
04-Jun-09, 10:33
Well we had a meal in the Spice Tandoori and it was excellent. It's really nice decor inside and is now completely full of tables, even where the dance floor used to be. The food was very good and the staff lovely and friendly. It's great for Wick to have another quality restaurant. I would love a good Italian too though...