PDA

View Full Version : Tv tonight.

cuddlepop
03-May-09, 16:35
Why is it that there's usually nothing on the tv and tonight we want to watch chanel 1,3 @ 4 all about the same time.Its pointless regording as we tend to forget.George Gently or Martin Clunes,chanel 4's Secret Millionaire repeated at 10pm tomorrow so just have to remember to stay up.lolWhat you watching.

cuddlepop
03-May-09, 16:39
Ps sorry about the spacing but for what ever reason cant seem to paragraph my posts or use my smilies "frown"

Gizmo
03-May-09, 16:54
'The Snooker Final' and 'Lost' are the only things i'll be watching on Tv tonight.

lister
03-May-09, 17:15
Me too Gizmo the snooker final and probably anything else i watch would be a repeat anyway,suppose will have till watch a dvd which I've seen as well but at least no adverts!!

Kodiak
03-May-09, 17:30
One Programme I will be watching is the New Series of "Islands of Britain" introduced by Martin Clunes.

The main reason is that he is starting off at one of the Lighthouses where I worked for a while, "Muckle Flugga" which is the Most Northerly Point in the UK. It will be good to see it again. :D

lister
03-May-09, 17:39
Might give islands of britain a look and amazed at the knowledge (as written in the t.v.book) that there is over a 1000 islands in britain ,didnae think there was that many!

hotrod4
03-May-09, 17:56
CSI NY, missed it last night due to Alcohol Intoxication!!![lol]

newpark
03-May-09, 18:08
9 o'clock Lost
10 o'clock Fringe
11 o'clock reapet of friday's Dexter

Hope I can stay awake.

im behind you
03-May-09, 18:18
might watch channel 955 or round about that area

zappster
03-May-09, 18:28
think I'll joost go to ma pit ...i'm knackered after gettin up to see Ricky Hatton getting Battered!!

balto
03-May-09, 22:37
well tv tonight was total rubbish(sunday) nowt worth watching on, just for a change.

Liz
03-May-09, 23:00
I really enjoyed the first of Martin Clunes' programmes visiting the Islands around Britain.:D

ShelleyCowie
03-May-09, 23:07
Me and my OH sat and watched Meet the spartans. Nothing on tv so switched over to sky movies instead.

Nothing else on though. :confused

Kodiak
03-May-09, 23:16
I really enjoyed the first of Martin Clunes' programmes visiting the Islands around Britain.:D

I did too, especially the start about Mukle Flugga as I was there for a short Period as a Keeper, Great Place it is :D

cuddlepop
04-May-09, 09:52
Martin Clunes programe one in the end and I'm so glad we watched it.Barra is so beautiful.

Liz
04-May-09, 12:25
I did too, especially the start about Mukle Flugga as I was there for a short Period as a Keeper, Great Place it is :D

It is beautiful but wouldn't want to stay there.:confused How did you pass the time Kodiak? You couldn't go for a walk.:D

Liz
04-May-09, 12:26
Martin Clunes programe one in the end and I'm so glad we watched it.Barra is so beautiful.

Barra looked breathtaking.:D To think we have all these beautiful places on our own doorstep.

Kodiak
04-May-09, 12:41
It is beautiful but wouldn't want to stay there.:confused How did you pass the time Kodiak? You couldn't go for a walk.:D

But we could, we would often walk around the Station Grounds. The Island is heaving with all types of Birds including my Favourites, Puffins.

We had a TV, not great reception, Read Books, worked on the Maintainence of the Lighthouse, also the most important one Cooking and Cleaning.

We also worked for the Met Office and we passed on a weather report every hour on the hour 24/7. Believe you me there was always something to do.

I enjoyed my service for the Northern Lighthouse Board and if I had the chance I would do it all over again. Mind you I am sure it would not suit everyone.

Liz
04-May-09, 13:03
But we could, we would often walk around the Station Grounds. The Island is heaving with all types of Birds including my Favourites, Puffins.

We had a TV, not great reception, Read Books, worked on the Maintainence of the Lighthouse, also the most important one Cooking and Cleaning.

We also worked for the Met Office and we passed on a weather report every hour on the hour 24/7. Believe you me there was always something to do.

I enjoyed my service for the Northern Lighthouse Board and if I had the chance I would do it all over again. Mind you I am sure it would not suit everyone.

Oh I see! You would need to get on with your fellow lighthouse keepers.:D

What other lighthouses were you posted to? Yes I am sure it wouldn't suit everyone but must have been good to be away from everything for a while. Would be good to be so close to birds like the puffins.

You should tell us all about your time as a lighthouse keeper as I , for one, would be really interested to hear about it.

Kodiak
04-May-09, 13:30
I have been at these Lighthouses :-

Girdleness Lighthouse
Rattray Head Lighthouse
Pladda Lighthouse
Ailsa Craig Lighthouse
Neist Point Lighthouse
Cantick Head Lighthouse
Muckle Flugga Lighthouse
Cape Wrath Lighthouse
Stroma Lighthouse
Holurn Head Lighthouse

I spent most time at 2 of them and they were, Cape Wrath and Stroma. I did ponder for a while about writing book about being a Lighthouse Keeper but there are several on the market all ready. I might get around to it one day, that is if I can myself motivated.

Liz
04-May-09, 15:36
I have been at these Lighthouses :-

Girdleness Lighthouse
Rattray Head Lighthouse
Pladda Lighthouse
Ailsa Craig Lighthouse
Neist Point Lighthouse
Cantick Head Lighthouse
Muckle Flugga Lighthouse
Cape Wrath Lighthouse
Stroma Lighthouse
Holurn Head Lighthouse

I spent most time at 2 of them and they were, Cape Wrath and Stroma. I did ponder for a while about writing book about being a Lighthouse Keeper but there are several on the market all ready. I might get around to it one day, that is if I can myself motivated.

Yes you should write a book Kodiak. I'd buy it.:D

How many days did you spend at any one time on a lighthouse?
Are there any manned lighthouses now or are they all automated?

I live not far from Noss Head and used to hear 'Wailing Winnie'. It used to be really eery on a foggy night to hear this loud wailing noise.:lol:

Kodiak
04-May-09, 16:04
How many days did you spend at any one time on a lighthouse?

28 Days and 28 Days off

Are there any manned lighthouses now or are they all automated?

No there are no more Manned Lighthouses, the last few closed and became fully Automated on 31st March 1998.

I live not far from Noss Head and used to hear 'Wailing Winnie'. It used to be really eery on a foggy night to hear this loud wailing noise

The silencing of the Fog Horns was really the Death-knell of the Lighthouses. It was in 1985 that the ILA (International Lighthouse Authority) decided that Fog Horns were no longer a necessity at Lighthouses due to Satelite Navagation. So it was decided then to stop the Use of Fog Horns.

As soon a the Fog Horns became silent it became Much easier to Automate Lighthouses, it was mainly the difficulty of Auotmating Fog Horns that had delayed the Automation of Lighthouses.

I was eventually made Redundant in 1991 due to the Automation Program and as I said above, the Last Lighthouse was closed on the 31st March 1998.

And Thus Ended 222 Years of of Manned Lighthouses around Scotland and the Isle of Man by the Northern Lighthouse Board.

Liz
04-May-09, 17:53
Many thanks for the info Kodiak. Now get writing that book.:D