PDA

View Full Version : Body Mass Index (BMI)

Rheghead
02-May-09, 19:49
I was wondering what people thought of the classifications of the Body Mass Indexing calculation?

<18.5 Under weight
18.5-25 Optimal
25-30 Overweight
>30 Obese

BMI= Weight(kg)/(Height(m))²

Or just following this chart for a classification.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Body_mass_index_chart.svg

Mine is 27.2 so slightly over-weight, must do better :lol: But I was about 31.6 in February so not too bad.

Do people think that the classifications are wrong or what or impossible to achieve with a western diet and lifestyle?:confused

ShelleyCowie
02-May-09, 19:54
Im barely at the right BMI. Just on the line ( I start scottish slimmers on monday anyway)

Before having my son i was 5ft 8 1/2" and weighed under 9 stone. So underweight i think. After my son i ballooned up.

But joining back to Scottish Slimmers to try to loose about a stone or so. :Razz

Bobinovich
02-May-09, 19:59
I don't believe BMI to be a good gauge to follow as it doesn't take build into consideration at all. I'm short yet stocky and believe I would look (more) appaling at my ideal BMI :D

Gizmo
02-May-09, 20:08
I have a BMI of 26.08 so i'm overweight, which is total garbage, because apart from some belly fat i'm still carrying from my hard living days there is hardly any fat on me, this BMI thing doesn't take into account muscle mass, which i have quite a lot of these days.

Rheghead
02-May-09, 20:16
I don't believe BMI to be a good gauge to follow as it doesn't take build into consideration at all. I'm short yet stocky and believe I would look (more) appaling at my ideal BMI :D

I got one of those bathroom scales which calculates fat/water percentage, body age, weight of bones, etc all singing and dancing really. Do you think that would be a better tool to assess weight etc?

I'm asking because the health person at work seems to be obsessed with the helpfulness of the BMI and such scales in order to assess weight probs.

But talking to other colleagues about it, it just seems the ones who are obese or overweight even to my layman's eyes are the ones saying that BMI calculations and other electronic scales to measure fat are a load of tosh. Are they in denial about their weight perhaps?

Rheghead
02-May-09, 20:23
I have a BMI of 26.08 so i'm overweight, which is total garbage, because apart from some belly fat i'm still carrying from my hard living days there is hardly any fat on me, this BMI thing doesn't take into account muscle mass, which i have quite a lot of these days.

Don't take this the wrong way but I think 26.08 seems about right from the description you gave of yourself.

I got some belly fat as well, will it disappear eventually you think? Skin shrinkage and all that?

northener
02-May-09, 20:29
It's rubbish.

I am officially obese. And as anyone who knows me will testify...I ain't no lightweight - so I can't argue with that.

However, using the same calculations, for me at 6'2" I should weigh just 14 stone....and that's tops:eek:

I last weighed that when I was 16 ...with a 36" chest and a 30" waist. I've filled out a lot since then. Even knocking off all the lard I reckon I'm about a 44" chest now.
There's no way I'd be healthy at that weight. My own personal reckoning is about 15 1/2st as ideal....I'm at leat 17 1/2st at the moment.

Gizmo
02-May-09, 20:56
Don't take this the wrong way but I think 26.08 seems about right from the description you gave of yourself.

I wasn't questioning my BMI rating, what i have a problem with is that it says i'm overweight when i'm clearly not, i'm a short-erse at 5'3" and weigh 10st 7lb, but because i spend so much time in the gym my muscles are solid as a rock, i'm stocky and solid, and not carrying much fat at all, so to be classed as overweight is wrong, it doesn't offend me in the slightest, it's just wrong.

Tristan
02-May-09, 21:02
BMI is an OK general measure that is suitable for the average population. There are other measurements that are better such as waist to hip ratio or even better %body fat.
The big problem with BMI it does not work for people outside of the average. If you lift weights or are actively involved in strength sports you can have a very high BMI but a very low %body fat.
IMHO it is a good idea to get a fat calliper. If you don't want to do that track your BMI but also track other measurements like waist, hip thighs and neck which help give you a better idea of how your body changes over time.
It is also a good idea to to take before and after photos - pictures don't lie.

ShelleyCowie
02-May-09, 21:04
I wasn't questioning my BMI rating, what i have a problem with is that it says i'm overweight when i'm clearly not, i'm a short-erse at 5'3" and weigh 10st 7lb, but because i spend so much time in the gym my muscles are solid as a rock, i'm stocky and solid, and not carrying much fat at all, so to be classed as overweight is wrong, it doesn't offend me in the slightest, it's just wrong.

Shorty indeed! :p But i already knew that!

I cant wait til loose weight! sittin eatin a bowl o fruit just now! Its my mummy tummy im struggling with! :confused Not forgetting the hips, but my bottom is just peachy! :lol:

Rheghead
02-May-09, 21:05

Ah ok, if you got an athletic build then it will tend to overate your BMI, that is a known shortcoming with the BMI classifications. Another problem with the BMI is with the elderly.

twiglet
02-May-09, 21:16
Boo Hoo! :~( Am obese according to BMI calculator on NHS site. Ah well, have to do something about that then.....

Gizmo
02-May-09, 21:21
Shorty indeed! But i already knew that!

I cant wait til loose weight! sittin eatin a bowl o fruit just now! Its my mummy tummy im struggling with! :confused Not forgetting the hips, but my bottom is just peachy!

You're still a bairn so you'll lose the weight in no time at all if you're tough on yourself :D
Don't leave it till yer auld and withered lek masel....cos' it's bloomin hard to lose it when you're a couple of years away from 40, in April i covered 268km in the Gym, and how much weight did i lose?...diddly squat...that's how much :(

ShelleyCowie
02-May-09, 21:41
You're still a bairn so you'll lose the weight in no time at all if you're tough on yourself :D
Don't leave it till yer auld and withered lek masel....cos' it's bloomin hard to lose it when you're a couple of years away from 40, in April i covered 268km in the Gym, and how much weight did i lose?...diddly squat...that's how much :(

Dinna feel lek a bairn! haha!
Wantin to loose it now to get ma confidence back. Become a poser again! lol

What! 268Km! I wish i cud do that in a year!

squidge
02-May-09, 22:39
I dont care. Im healthy and happy and the NHS can stick their BMI thingie wotsit.

Aaldtimer
03-May-09, 02:29
..."What! 268Km! I wish i cud do that in a year! "...

15 years ago I could cycle that in a day, now I can hardly walk the length o' masel'!
So much for regular exercise. Used to cycle to Dounreay and back every day, summer and winter. Mind you the smoking and alcohol didnae help.[disgust]

JAWS
03-May-09, 06:24
According to the BMI classification when Mohammed Ali won the Heavyweight Boxing Title he was well overweight.
I certainly wouldn't have risked telling him he was a big fat lazy slob.

I have never heard yet just how the "ideas" were arrived at all you are ever told is how the figures are calculated.

We are slowly being indoctrinated into aiming to become a society where one size fits all. If you do not conform to certain criteria then you are considered abnormal and must be embarrassed and bullied into striving to conform.

I have this terrible dread that one day I will drive into a city to be confronted by thousands of identical robots all pointing and slowly repeating, “You fail to conform to the required standard. Exterminate! Exterminate! Exterminate!”

I only hope I can find their off-switch before they finally get me. :eek:

A_Usher
03-May-09, 08:45
If you are going to use an all dancing machine, you really need to make sure you stick to the same time each day, as they can vary as they primarily use conductance to test, which can fluctuate. They also tend just to use a forumla, so they are no better than a manual calculation.

BMI does not take into consideration muscle mass either, muscle being heavier than fat.

The best way to work out your body percentages, and the cheapest way is to use cheap but accurate scales, and then use a formula. Using a formula you can work out what is your lean body mass, and what percentage is fat. The best way of finding out fat is to use body callipers such as the accumeasure ones. However nothing will be exact unless you go for the fancy body immersion measurements.

Andrew
Dunbeath Surgery

A_Usher
03-May-09, 08:57

This may be because you worked too hard on the treadmill and where in too high a heart rate zone, causing you to burn carbs more than fat, and putting muscle on. To loose weight you need to burn fat, which is best done either by High Intensity Interval Training, or working in an optimised heart rate zone.

I am in the process of shifting flab, after two years of bad psoriatic arthritis, which meant no martial arts training, running or circuit training. Using proper HIIT and optimized heart rate training, i have lost 12 pounds over the last 4 weeks, the ideal weight loss being 2.5 pounds per week. You need to alter diet also, check protein levels, carbs levels etc, and really plan your workout to make sure that you are both exercising using strength and cardio. It all really comes down to calories in versus calories out. The other is not to look at the scales, go by changes in clothing styles, muscular definition etc, as bulking up may mean some weight increase etc.

If anyone wants info, drop me a pm and i will share what i know. I have resurrected my martial arts club, which will comprise of sessions in high interval training, tabata and strength, and all adults are welcome, even just for the fitness component.

Andrew.

Tristan
03-May-09, 09:34
HIIT training is a great fat burning and a a great way to increase your fitness.
Don't forget to add strength training in there. You don't have to go to body building extremes but general strength training, squats, push ups, chin ups etc will help tone, strengthen and build muscle. Muscle burns more calories = faster weight loss and a better fitness level.

Gizmo
03-May-09, 10:06
This may be because you worked too hard on the treadmill and where in too high a heart rate zone, causing you to burn carbs more than fat, and putting muscle on. To loose weight you need to burn fat, which is best done either by High Intensity Interval Training, or working in an optimised heart rate zone

Mmmm, i wouldn't think so, i don't use the treadmill at all due to my knees being goosed and in constant pain, the problem was diagnosed as 'Patella Femoral Degeneration', which the surgeon says there is no fix for, so i only use the recumbent cycle, regular cycle, and eliptical strider for cardio work, none of which i feel put my heart rate sky high, i keep a spreadsheet of my gym training (level, time, and distance) i'll drop you a PM later and see about sending it to you, any help and advice would be most welcome.