PDA

View Full Version : Advertising and Us!

Angel
02-May-09, 16:27
Everywhere you look, be it television, newspapers, posters even the top of this page you get advertisments, on the radio in front and behind DVD movies, the internet, shop widows, everywhere...

Do we need or want it, could we live/exist with-out it...

Wanted - Answers via posts to this thread...

Angel...

butterfly
03-May-09, 02:13
Well,tv advertisements get on my nerves and have me reaching for the mute but business's need them to get people buying of them.As for advertisements on shop windows and such like,i never take much notice lol!

Aaldtimer
03-May-09, 02:50
If it wasn't for the advertising on here, the .Org probably wouldn't be economically viable!
So stop yer bitchin'!;)

JAWS
03-May-09, 05:16
Ever since humans first learned to barter there has been advertising and no we couldn't live without it.
The moment one person offers to exchange one item for something else they are advertising what they believe their item is worth compared with something else.

Matthew
03-May-09, 16:26
Most businesses that have advertisments on their site, channel or whatever need them there to pay for their running costs. Some sites and forums have a subscription option where you can pay to remove the ads.

cuddlepop
03-May-09, 16:52
I can mute the adverts on TV so there bearable.Adverts on radio are so annoying,I just want the music.Magazines are also annoyingaly full of adverts both as supplements and in the mag.I'll buy what I buy because I want to not because someone says so......or so I think.lol

Kodiak
03-May-09, 17:34
The adverts here on .org are quite small and I never seem to notice them. As to Adverts on TV they can come in handy at times. Like when you need to visit the smallest room or you want to make a cup of tea or coffee. Other times I just mute the sound so they do not bother me too much.

Angel
04-May-09, 20:51
I was only asking a question and not complaining Auldtimer, so get it right in your head before your fingers do the typing!

I agree all the comments to date, it is a nessessary evil!

The feeling I get is we don't want it but need it...

Angel...

tiggertoo
04-May-09, 21:53
buissnesses need to advertise to sell there products,other buisnesses need to advertise to pay for there costs ie.tv, radio,papers and magazines i dont mind them as i think mostly evrything public buy is through advertising even the people who complain about it, whats more annoying is the bbc who dont advertise and people have to pay to for the rubbish and reapeats they show on tv and you dont even have to watch there rubbish

jimbews
04-May-09, 21:54
Most businesses that have advertisments on their site, channel or whatever need them there to pay for their running costs. Some sites and forums have a subscription option where you can pay to remove the ads.
And if you use Firefox, try the Add-on "Adblock Plus".
First installation gives a suggested Filter subscription list such as Easylist.
One of the settings it will install is to block "http://ads.", so blocks
http://ads.caithness.org/... Hope that doesn't breach their terms & conditions.
After that, if not automatically blocked, invoke the plugin and it will give a list of items on the page.
Makes lots of websites MUCH faster :Razz
For example the "Groat" can be made even faster and cleaner by also selecting the filter:
http://ic.pressflex.com/*

JimBews