PDA

View Full Version : Strange Cat behaviour

M R
02-May-09, 13:35
1 of my dads Cats was run over on wed morning, casuing some nasty damage to her poor little face, (anyone no anything about that ? viewfirth / st magnus rd area )

Think she suffered a broken nose type injury, she is struggling to breath thoo her noes and i guess cats don't really breath thoo their mouths.

Anyway, her brother is now (it seems) freaked out by seeing her he wont go anywhere near here and litterly runs away @ the sight of her.

Anyone have any ideas as to why and maybe what can be done to help the issue.

Cheers

teenybash
02-May-09, 17:49
Anxiety probably is the answer...............not afraid of her but, he will be aware something is wrong and this sometimes causes animals to shy away from the one that is injured. Could also be that she is still carrying the scent of fear from the trauma and vet smells including any medication given.
She could also be sending out a signal to him to say 'Stay away...' because she is hurting.
Once she is feeling better all should return to normal with her brother.

Hopefully the little cat repairs well and back to her usual self real soon. Poor wee mite....virtual hug for her arriving...now.:)

Liz
02-May-09, 18:08
So sorry that your poor cat was run over and injured. I take it she has to go back to the Vet for a check up. Hope they can help her breathe properly.

Totally agree with Teenybash. Cats are very much creatures of habit and anything new can freak them out so there will be the smell from the Vets and the fact that his sister isn't well.

You could try some Rescue Remedy in their drinking water as this should help them both.
Also the homeopathic remedy Aconite is brilliant for emotional 'trauma'.

Sage
02-May-09, 18:29
Just adding a me too type answer

When one of my cats had an accident last year the other wouldnt go near her. They're very sensitive to smell and the fear / vet smell lingers.

Just keep her quiet and in time the other one will come round, but if you're worried I'd definitely ask the vet, thats what they're there for.

Hope she gets better soon xx

M R
02-May-09, 18:37
The vets basically said to give her time and see what happens, she seems to be on the mend, her breathing is certainly improving.

From what i gather she is eating very little and doesn't seem to be drinking much. She just lays in front of the fire. Dad has put out a litter tray but there is no sign of her using it.

Will see what happens for the rest of the weekend and take her back to the vet on monday i think.

Cheers for the advice

unicorn
02-May-09, 18:41
I would call the vet out and get a second opinion. The cat cannot tell you how she is feeling but her behaviour does not sound like that of a happy cat.

M R
02-May-09, 19:59
Hmm you could have a point, but i don't suppose she will be happy after being run down, nor would i, the vet told me she would struggle to eat because she cannot smell & cats won't eat anything they can't smell. Shes been hand fed turkey and tuna so far wich she takes ok. As for the water intake, i have never seen her drink, ever, so i guess she does it when i am not there or @ night.

If i thought she was getting any worse believe me, i would be calling the vet out imedietly.

See how it goes tomorrow and take it from there.

Liz
03-May-09, 13:11
Glad that she is eating as that is a good sign.

She just needs to rest now poor soul to let her injuries heal.

M R
05-May-09, 19:11
Update.

Cat pretty much back to her old self, back out and about and breathing a whole lot better.

Brother is slowly comming round.

Cheers for comments.

8 lives remain :)

Liz
05-May-09, 19:16
Oh that is great news and thanks for letting us know.

Who said pets relieve stress?:lol: