PDA

View Full Version : co-op or tescos

the poacher
01-May-09, 20:07
i went to the co-op today to do some shopping found it alot dearer than it used to be so i decided to go to tescos instead it was alot cheaper i thought.

what about you what do you prefer.

co-op or tescos?

Kodiak
01-May-09, 20:12
There is no Doubt it, between those two I prefer Tesco. Mind you I prefer Tesco at Wick as I find the Staff at Tesco Thurso Very Unhelpful and they do not carry as much Stock, so I drive through to Tesco Wick once every 2 weeks.

For all other shopping inbetween I go to Lidl and they are very good.

the poacher
01-May-09, 20:14
yi the staff in our tescos are realy helpfull but iv never been in thurso tescos so i honestly couldnt say what the staff is like there lol

ShelleyCowie
01-May-09, 20:36
I use Lidl, Coop and Tesco. I went to Lidl tonight and found it to be extremelly reasonably priced. I really should go there more often for alot of things.

Tesco i tend to go in with a tiny list and come out with £100 worth of shopping easy!

Coop i found to be quite pricey now! I use it for fresh fruit and veg, so i tend to go in 2-3 times a week!

In lidl tonight too i seen the marmalade i eat for £1.21 and i paid double that in coop! :eek:

the poacher
01-May-09, 20:42
lidl is good to i go there if i just need a couple of things.

i agree with you about tescos i go in for bread and milk and come out with a months shopping.

never mind its fun well so the other half says:)

telfordstar
01-May-09, 20:50
I prefer tescos for doing my big shop but tend to go to somerfields on a wedensday as they have pretty good deals on most of the time.

lister
01-May-09, 20:54
I prefer tesco's as theres more room but there prices dont half fluctuate on a daily basis,must be the price wars wi asda.

Macwull
01-May-09, 22:06
Usually go to tescos but was watching what I bought the other day, 4 seperate tins of tomato soup (Heinz) was cheaper than buying a 4pack!!

Also Pasta, cheaper buying 2x500g than 1x1kg bag!!!

Prob most people think the opposite would be the case!!

balto
01-May-09, 22:26
must say i prefer shopping in the coop, i feel the staff are so much more plesant in there. also the money you get back twice yearly with your membership card is good.

Mr P Cannop
01-May-09, 23:02
must say i prefer shopping in the coop, i feel the staff are so much more plesant in there. also the money you get back twice yearly with your membership card is good.

aye i agree with you balto

scorrie
01-May-09, 23:37

You get 1% back with the Coop, so it is easy to calculate how much difference it is actually making to the prices they charge. If a bottle of wine is £4 in the Coop, you are actually getting it for £3.96 once you get your Dividend awarded. The Dividend vouchers look good when you get them, but it is worth bearing in mind that you had to spend £5000 to get £50 of vouchers!!

I shop very selectively in both the Coop and Somerfields, sticking pretty much to offers on items we need or occasionally buy. Our main shop is in Lidls, who offer the best ratio of quality to price by far. It is no exaggeration to say that they are 40% cheaper than the Coop on the items we used to buy from both stores. No-name biscuits, chocolate, yoghurts etc are superior to the famous names, and a lot cheaper. Check the percentages of the actual ingredients and have a taste to find out for yourselves. Lidl's Cheese has a name you won't recognise but used to be made by McLellands, Scotland's biggest cheese maker who make Seriously Strong cheddar and several other brand names. Likewise, the Bacon was branded by names you had never heard of but which the small print revealed to be the well known brand Tulip. Half the time you are paying for the prime names to advertise their products. Numerous products are made for Lidl by UK companies and it is best to forget the notion of cack being shipped in from Europe for the peasants who cannot afford to shop elsewhere. Aldi and Lidl both offer many quality products and real savings. If you prefer 40 lane checkouts and temptation on every corner, then Tesco is probably your best bet.

butterfly
02-May-09, 00:07

Aye,staff discount and shares are good too.;)

concerned resident
02-May-09, 00:21
Would prefer to go to Asda's, as i was in one for the first time last week, down south, did not realize how reasonable the prices were, and how we are being ripped of by the Coop and Tesco's. The money i could have saved, and everyone else if we had an Asda, Should not forget to mention the Caithness Councilors who screwed it up, so we do not have an Asda in Wick or Thurso.

miranda
02-May-09, 00:26
i live a couple steps away from lidls , they cool for few things ...but tescos is "the boy" i spend three figures in tescos evey time...canna help ma sel!!!!
was in co-op today spent £15.80 and had 2 bags ...!!!!!!

joxville
02-May-09, 00:53
i live a couple steps away from lidls , they cool for few things ...but tescos is "the boy" i spend three figures in tescos evey time...canna help ma sel!!!!

was in co-op today spent £15.80 and had 2 bags ...!!!!!!

Was that one for the Baileys and one for the bag of ice? [lol]

Anne x
02-May-09, 01:04
Would prefer to go to Asda's, as i was in one for the first time last week, down south, did not realize how reasonable the prices were, and how we are being ripped of by the Coop and Tesco's. The money i could have saved, and everyone else if we had an Asda, Should not forget to mention the Caithness Councilors who screwed it up, so we do not have an Asda in Wick or Thurso.

Asda is not all it seems Not that cheap and not a lot of other things imop !! I prefer not to shop there really dont like it they do not have the quality or much else going for them
Locally I use my Coop , Tesco and M&S foodstore all within 10 mins of the house if I go further afield 20 mins I go to Sainsburys
I realise this is not the case in Caithness as I lived there for years but on your doorstep you have it all and its fresh

miranda
02-May-09, 01:05
Was that one for the Baileys and one for the bag of ice? [lol]

im a white wine girl jox , chardonnay or an asti:lol:

Matthew
02-May-09, 01:42
There is no Doubt it, between those two I prefer Tesco. Mind you I prefer Tesco at Wick as I find the Staff at Tesco Thurso Very Unhelpful and they do not carry as much Stock, so I drive through to Tesco Wick once every 2 weeks.

I apologise if I ever gave you poor service at tesco thurso. :confused.

butterfly
02-May-09, 01:50

No worries Matthew,i found the staff cheery enough when i was last up there.

Kevin Milkins
02-May-09, 09:02
We shop at Tesco and Lidl for mst of our goods.

Mrs M thinks she has an eye for a bargain untill I pointed out the error of her ways this week. :eek: She brought home one packet of bacon that was (.Buy One Get One Free) :lol:

I am not fussed about spending time in a supermarket and often sit in the car, but I seem to have a lot of tools from Lidl that will come in one day:confused

concerned resident
02-May-09, 09:07
It would just be nice to have the choice of an Asda Supermarket. Tesco in Thurso does not have the offers or the choice of Wick, and the Coop always appears more expensive. Tesco have now blocked any chance of an Asda, by buying up the only remaining site in Thurso, to stop asda or any competition, and of course with the help of our Caithness Councillors.

lazytown
02-May-09, 09:19
We use mainly tescos Thurso and Wick, I prefer the Wick tescos as it has a lot more choice and some of the products are cheaper than in Thurso.
I find Thurso staff very pleasant, helpful and always get the craic when we go in there. Occasionally we go to lidl's and stock up on tin stuff for convienience lunches (macaronni cheese, meatballs), I have also tried thier milk and fruit which seems to go of very quickly.

Amy-Winehouse
02-May-09, 09:21
Lidls , Somerfields & Tesco for me, I dont shop in the Coop, cant remember why though? Maybe coz theyre too dear?

golach
02-May-09, 09:42
Sighs.....what a quandary I am in down here, will I pop over to Scot-Mid Co-op, 2 mins from my house, or will I go to Iceland 4 mins away, or will I be adventureous and walk for 7 mins to Sainsburys, then again I may change my mind and hop on a bus to Morrisons ( they have a good deal on Real ale), then again I may be even more adventureous and travel to Asda a 20 min bus ride, I will definately give Tesco's a miss, its a 2 bus ride away. But there again I could pop down to Leith to Lidi's, and Farmfoods. Or I may head to Musselburgh to Aldi.
Oh dear what will I do? Decisions Descisions, you lot dinna how easy your life is [lol]

balto
02-May-09, 11:12
Aye,staff discount and shares are good too.;)
oh cant wait to get mine, hopefully discount card will arrive next week.[lol]

pat
02-May-09, 11:30
Have 2 supermarkets here - Co-op and the dreaded TESCOs.
Prefer to shop at the co-op, wider aisles, wider choice but still use tescos as the bread I use is £2 for 2 in tescos but it is £1.56 in Co-op.

Prefer the soft fruits, better tasting fruit juices, and many things I prefer in Co-op, I prefer not to buy in tescos but sometimes buy there due to low stock or no availability in Co-op.

Tescos took over the Sommerfield here - a great improvement on the service they were providing - many of the same staff but they are much happier getting the extra money tescos pay them (when they acquired the site last it was £1 an hour extra for all the workers), staff smiling and helpful instead of grumpy and biting your head off if you dared ask if something was in stock but in store room.
Wish Lidl, ASDA or any other supermarket would come to Lewis or Harris.

Certainly will be much better supplied and wider choice when Sutherland Bros start delivering to the islands next week.

ShelleyCowie
02-May-09, 13:03
oh cant wait to get mine, hopefully discount card will arrive next week.[lol]

Shall we start doin a weekly shop together! :lol:

Do get to use ma dads tesco card tho.

goldilocks
02-May-09, 13:42
I shop at Tesco's in Wick as there is a great selection, I do use the Thurso store but not as often, and like a few have said before me the staff are friendlier in Wick, but there are a good few who are very helpful I must say tho....

Rheghead
02-May-09, 14:24
Before Tescos I went to Co-op quite a lot but then I found it pretty dire until Tescos came. Since then I think Co-op has improved its presentation, product range and quality quite a lot to maintain its customer base. I find that I have responded to their improvements and still go to Co-op more than Tesco now after the Tesco honeymoon has died down.

Connor.
03-May-09, 10:25
I prefer the Wick tescos as it has a lot more choice and some of the products are cheaper than in Thurso.

Tesco is a nationwide store therefore the prices should be the same in any shop of Tesco's you go into. If there is a price difference, mention it to a member of staff along with a differing store :cool:

Ash
03-May-09, 10:46
i shop in lidl,coop and tesco, i dont think tesco is that cheap, and they hardly ever change there offers, i also use semi chem as they do good offers on juice, coffee ect as does 99p shop

balto
03-May-09, 11:32
i shop in lidl,coop and tesco, i dont think tesco is that cheap, and they hardly ever change there offers, i also use semi chem as they do good offers on juice, coffee ect as does 99p shop
have to agree with you on this on, i dont find tesco are cheap atall, semi chem are good when it comes to special offers on juice,crisps and biscuit.

Ash
03-May-09, 11:45
have to agree with you on this on, i dont find tesco are cheap atall, semi chem are good when it comes to special offers on juice,crisps and biscuit.

yeah if you shop around you can get good offers, if im in tesco like i was yesterday well the one in wick i got a few good things cheaper than the thurso one

bigbenjokazooie
03-May-09, 14:51
Tesco is a nationwide store therefore the prices should be the same in any shop of Tesco's you go into. If there is a price difference, mention it to a member of staff along with a differing store :cool:

the reason prices differe from store...

depends on the size of store and product range...
unfortunately it is a pain in the chuff...but all stores get prices sent down centrally from head office, the store cant lower the price to match another Tesco that is cheaper...

all we can do if offer great customer service and hope you pay the extra to come back and see us :)

sevenfortyseven
03-May-09, 15:19
i prefer co-ops own brand stuff but i pretty much shop wherever is cheapest

sevenfortyseven
03-May-09, 15:20
the reason prices differe from store...

depends on the size of store and product range...
unfortunately it is a pain in the chuff...but all stores get prices sent down centrally from head office, the store cant lower the price to match another Tesco that is cheaper...

all we can do if offer great customer service and hope you pay the extra to come back and see us :)

yea its true - price does differ in different tesco sizes. take tesco/tesco express for example

bekisman
03-May-09, 15:23
Hi Pat #26 - found this, but expect you know?
SUPERMARKET giant Lidl is looking at the possibility of opening a store in Lewis, it was confirmed this week. But the company stressed that nothing has been decided, and the area is among several being looked at. Douglas Marshall, of Lidl Scotland, said: "I was in Stornoway last week taking a look around" (problem is I think this was 2007?)
http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1G1-188721269.html (http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1G1-188721269.html)

Socrates
03-May-09, 15:38

I suppose if you work in a Co-Op you have to say that staff in Co-Op are better!!

kat300586
03-May-09, 16:02
iv been shoppin in somerfield for weeks now cos i can get a weeks worth of shoppin for 4 pll for roughly 30 pound.tescos is good for some stuff but somerfeild is my choice at the moment

cuddlepop
03-May-09, 16:14
iv been shoppin in somerfield for weeks now cos i can get a weeks worth of shoppin for 4 pll for roughly 30 pound.tescos is good for some stuff but somerfeild is my choice at the moment

How on earth do you manage that.There are 3 of us in our home and a big carton of milk costs £2.20 and a loaf roughly a £1.00,so daily its costing us £3.30.Multiply by 7 and thats just £22.10 for bread and milk.We're stll waiting for Tesco's in Portree so like you shop at Somerfields,which is better value than the coop.

scorrie
03-May-09, 16:59

Gee whiz, that is little more than a £1 a day per head. I wish I could put three meals a day on the table, plus snacks for a £1 per skull.

balto
03-May-09, 20:46
I suppose if you work in a Co-Op you have to say that staff in Co-Op are better!!
absolutly nothing to do with the fact i work for the coop, there is a small and large coop in thurso, and i was refering to the large one, where i dont work, have always liked the staff in the big coop, since i moved to thurso, they seem to be more community minded.

butterfly
03-May-09, 21:10

Nonsense! She has a mind of her own therefore can say what she likes!
There's no having to in it.

balto
03-May-09, 21:21
Nonsense! She has a mind of her own therefore can say what she likes!
There's no having to in it.
must be a case of if we are employees of the coop we arent allowed to have an opinion as a customer, i do all my shopping there so i think of myself as a customer to

Cedric Farthsbottom III
03-May-09, 21:27
Me and the wife shop in Tesco.Use the Co-op and Somerfield for run outs during the week.Use Harrolds for sausages,cannae beat them!!!The only down side to Tesco is that big baldy guy on the fruit and veg, dog chewing on a wasp!!!!!:lol::lol:

butterfly
03-May-09, 21:45
must be a case of if we are employees of the coop we arent allowed to have an opinion as a customer, i do all my shopping there so i think of myself as a customer to

Agree there Balto.It pay's to shop around as then you get better value for money.Used to do all my shopping in co-op but now i do a little everwhere.Still go to the butchers in McCarther St cause his apple n pork burgers are just tasty.I think his pies are good too.

balto
03-May-09, 21:47
i would be a bad idea if i shopped around it would end up costing me a small fortune.

misty woman
03-May-09, 21:51
Agree there Balto.It pay's to shop around as then you get better value for money.Used to do all my shopping in co-op but now i do a little everwhere.Still go to the butchers in McCarther St cause his apple n pork burgers are just tasty.I think his pies are good too.agree with you there butterfly it is always best to shop around,i shop in all four supermarkets to get the best buys.

balto
03-May-09, 21:53
agree with you there butterfly it is always best to shop around,i shop in all four supermarkets to get the best buys.
aye but your loaded misty lol.[lol][lol]

misty woman
03-May-09, 21:55
yes iknow,i have more money than sense!

balto
03-May-09, 21:57
yes iknow,i have more money than sense!
hey £10 not bad then lol.[lol][lol]

butterfly
03-May-09, 22:17
That last two are crackers too![lol]

balto
03-May-09, 22:20
That last two are crackers too![lol]
hey i know what you mean butterfly, that misty woman is a bit of a nutter lol. can you tell im the sainer of the 2 lol.

butterfly
03-May-09, 22:25
hey i know what you mean butterfly, that misty woman is a bit of a nutter lol. can you tell im the sainer of the 2 lol.

Sorry Balto i thought that read sinner of the two,must put my glasses on![lol][lol]

balto
03-May-09, 22:26
Sorry Balto i thought that read sinner of the two,must put my glasses on![lol][lol]
nope not me im a good girl i am lol.[lol]

sweetpea
03-May-09, 22:33
I'm a lidl girl with an occassionaly trip to the co-op. Better eye candy in lidl, and they are quick. I lost my tesco card so don't go there much. At leats in lidl you don't get asked "Have you got your divident?" and looked at like your from another planet if you don't have one:)

I grow my own herbs, garlic and some veg because I'm not keen on supermarket stuff but if I had to choose it would be lidl again. I buy all my meat from butcher too.:roll:

I shop little and often because I have time.

balto
03-May-09, 22:36
I'm a lidl girl with an occassionaly trip to the co-op. Better eye candy in lidl, and they are quick. I lost my tesco card so don't go there much. At leats in lidl you don't get asked "Have you got your divident?" and looked at like your from another planet if you don't have one:)

I grow my own herbs, garlic and some veg because I'm not keen on supermarket stuff but if I had to choose it would be lidl again. I buy all my meat from butcher too.:roll:

I shop little and often because I have time.
unfortunatly this is part of our job to ask customers if they have their mebership card, me personnaly cant understand why folk dont take the few mins to get one, as it all adds up the money you get back.

sweetpea
03-May-09, 22:39
unfortunatly this is part of our job to ask customers if they have their mebership card, me personnaly cant understand why folk dont take the few mins to get one, as it all adds up the money you get back.

I've got one but half the time it's in another handbag or something:)
What I didn't mind tho was getting asked my age at the fag counter when I tried to buy a bottle of wine[lol]

balto
03-May-09, 22:40
What I didn't mind tho was getting asked my age at the fag counter when I tried to buy a bottle of wine[lol]
unfortunatly, you must be young looking as anyone thats looks under 21 is asked for id, but as from june the 1st anyone looking under 25 is going to be asked.

misty woman
03-May-09, 22:41
What I didn't mind tho was getting asked my age at the fag counter when I tried to buy a bottle of wine[lol]you must have looked under 21 sweetpea!

sweetpea
03-May-09, 22:44
you must have looked under 21 sweetpea!

If only...... I'm a fair bit older than that lol The woman kept insisting and I asked her if she was being serious. Mind you she was a fair bit older than me either that or she hadn't got her glasses on.[lol]

balto
03-May-09, 22:44
you must have looked under 21 sweetpea!
been a few years since we did eh misty woman.[lol][lol]

misty woman
03-May-09, 22:49
speak for yourself balto!

balto
03-May-09, 22:51
speak for yourself balto!
well well what can i say to that lol. dont want to get myself into trouble with my older sister lol.:Razz:Razz

misty woman
03-May-09, 22:51
If only...... I'm a fair bit older than that lol The woman kept insisting and I asked her if she was being serious. Mind you she was a fair bit older than me either that or she hadn't got her glasses on.[lol]you must have looked under 21 or the staff would not have asked.

misty woman
03-May-09, 22:53
well well what can i say to that lol. dont want to get myself into trouble with my older sister lol.:Razz:Razzolder in body but not in mind!

balto
03-May-09, 22:53
older in body but not in mind!
oh so true lol.

misty woman
03-May-09, 22:57
please dont go of thread balto,do you love the cooperative,tesco,somerfield or lidls the most!

butterfly
03-May-09, 23:29
please dont go of thread balto,do you love the cooperative,tesco,somerfield or lidls the most!

I love them all but then i love my food dont i..yum yum!

bigbenjokazooie
04-May-09, 00:44
its gona be think 25 soon instead of think 21 so brace yourselves haha :D

Vistravi
04-May-09, 13:44

I too apologise Kodiak if i ever gave you poor customer service in my time there.
I've always tried to be as helpful as i can to any customer that asked me anything so maybe it was someone else who proved to be unhelpful to you;) The store is also alot smaller than the wick one.

Matt i'm sure you're not one of the unhelpful ones;)

balto
04-May-09, 14:39
ooh get you lol, put the claws away. me i love the coopie always have and always will, dont like lidil atall, prefer to know what im eating lol.[lol]

ShelleyCowie
04-May-09, 15:32
Im sick of spending so much on shopping! [evil]

Fair enough we always get our usual first which is nappies, baby milk, bread, milk, sugar and coffee. Then comes athruns other foods such as porridge, fruits and some tins. Then meals like meat, pastas etc etc...

Here is the kicker...i am eating healthy so i have to buy all my own meals. Then the OH refuses to eat healthy so have to buy seperate meals for him and his other 2 boys. Costs me a fortune that i dont have! Luckily all the bills are going over to him this week! :Razz

grumpy1
05-May-09, 18:22
you must have looked under 21 or the staff would not have asked.

thank yer lucky stars give it a week and its think 25....

Rheghead
05-May-09, 18:28
Im sick of spending so much on shopping! [evil]

So am I so when I saw OH had spent rather a lot more than we usually do at Tesco last week I nearly choked. On being challenged she said that we've got extra for us to last a month to keep us in isolation from the outside world.:lol:

The garage is now looks like a set out of Deep Impact![lol]

grumpy1
05-May-09, 18:30

yeah i agree being a tesco employee myself we have the same problem..it amazes me how folk dont take time to read up about it and realize just what they can get back..i personally shop in tesco but i always have.. although i have been known to go to the coop as well for odd an sods..i have cards for both stores however it confuses me that i hardly go to the coop yet the less i seem to spend there..the more i get back in dividend strange ...:confused