PDA

View Full Version : Help!!!!

lildj
01-May-09, 19:30
My cats keep walking al over my worktops any way I could stop them?

I can only keep them in my kitchen coz they scratch my couch to bits if they are in the living room alone :( help please

Also i have had them for 2 months and one of them is still really scared and won’t let any one touch him

teenybash
01-May-09, 19:44
Patience, patience and more patience............lift down the kitty you can handle and simply say Down and repeat and repeat. When the timorous wee sould jumps up onto worktop say Down.....he will have watched you going through your regime with the other. With the passing of time they should stop.............though having said that my 10 year old still does it. I just wipe over the work tops but, if I find her I just tell her Down and off she goes. :Razz

Liz
01-May-09, 23:05
Agree with Teenybash in that it will take patience with your nervous wee cat. However, you may find that a Feliway diffuser may help as well. Try Ebay or www.vetuk.co.uk (http://www.vetuk.co.uk) Also try just speaking to him gently and hand feeding him something really tasty. This usually wins them round.

Re them walking on your worktops I don't fancy your chances at getting them to stop walking on them.

By the way you can get sticky strips which you put on your couch to stop them scratching it. I used this with mine and after a while I could take them off as they just stopped trying.

I'm afraid if you have cats you just can't be too house proud.:confused I would rather have my pets than a perfect house but I can understand that you don't want your suite ruined so hope this helps.

Liz
01-May-09, 23:07
Here you go Lildj http://www.woofnwhiskers.co.uk/sticky-paws-p-556.html

balto
01-May-09, 23:08
my cats have always been bad for this, but since we moved house, our kitchen is a lot littler, and they now walk right round crossing over the cooker in the process, tell you my hearts in my mouth ever time i am cooking.

Dadie
01-May-09, 23:38
Water pistol!Spray the little pests and shout down or pssst every time they set foot on the worktops... worked wonders in our house!they soon asocciate the sound with getting wet and dont bother to try it!

unicorn
01-May-09, 23:42
I just have to do pssssst and they are off [lol]

ShelleyCowie
01-May-09, 23:44
Fintan is always on the worktops thinkin he owns the place! Especially when im making a sandwich! Luckily brenon is too small for this yet!

But fintan is well trained. When i say down in quite a firm voice he knows i mean business. And when i say "bed time" he goes to the door waiting to get out!

So as they have said patience. :D Takes time. Took brenon 2 weeks now to realise my carpet is not his large toilet! lol

Rie
03-May-09, 13:05
I think i am lucky as my cats only do this if there is fod left about by the kids not clearing up after themselves and when the cats all i have to do is say OI and they are off in a shot .
But at first it was a case of removing them each time they were on.

Vistravi
03-May-09, 18:59
Agree with Dadie. Water pistol works wonders. We use two spray bottles filled with water, one in the bedroom and one in the living room.
When we first moved into our flat the cats were walking all over the work tops, tables and all around my partners beloved xbox(they use it as a stepping stone to get to the window)
After a few days of being sprayed constantly everytime they went on the table and work tops they soon learnt not to do it. My queen is a very good cat and learnt quicker than our tom cat did. He still gets a spray every so often when he tries something he isn't allowed to and knows hes not allowed to.
I didn't mind too much bout the xbox but my partner did so we had to move our tv and the unit the wii, xbox and sound system is kept on around and have had no issues since.
If youre cats are so bad with the couch you should give Liz's idea a shot. Our two sometimes try to claw at out couch, compter chair and the carpets and they always get a spray for it and that always stops them. with my queen i just tell her no but my tom cat needs the spray as he'll jus go and do it again.
I'd def give the spray bottle a try as they very quickly learn and if you have a cat like my tom cat, being put down and told no jus doesn't work. If you want to try the spray bottle then make sure you don't use a bottle that has been used for cleaning chemicals of any kind. Its worth buying a new empty one if you have to. Better safe than sorry ;)

Vistravi
03-May-09, 19:25
My cats keep walking al over my worktops any way I could stop them?

I can only keep them in my kitchen coz they scratch my couch to bits if they are in the living room alone :( help please

Also i have had them for 2 months and one of them is still really scared and won’t let any one touch him

I got my queen from balmore when she was only 15 weeks old and she was very timid and wouldn't let anyone touch her at all. After some time she'd only let me stroke her and fuss her when she wanted it. She'd also only show me her belly, no one else. She's always had a wild part to her and the reason i picked her from balmore was because she was the only one that would not come to me.
Now bout 2 years later she is a very different cat. Since we've moved to Inverness she has become so much more tame, friendly and will let anyone stroke her now. I'm not sure whether my sisters cat's influence or now lack of has helped this or not.
So patience Lidj is needed with your timid cat. you've only had her/him for 2 months so you will need to have lots of patience with him/her and you will need to give him/her plenty of space and opportunitys to come to you. You just have to play it on your cats level and rate untill your cat feels comfortable and comes to you for a stroke.

Dadie
03-May-09, 21:13
They also dont like the tinfoil under their feet.....I resorted to putting it in the sinks when Frodo was a dirty little beggar that would poop in them!

Vistravi
04-May-09, 11:56
They also dont like the tinfoil under their feet.....I resorted to putting it in the sinks when Frodo was a dirty little beggar that would poop in them!

At least he didn't do it on the floor/carpet!!;)
I'd rather they did it in the sink instead of the floor.

Vistravi
11-May-09, 22:42
Lildj how goes the cat training? Had any success in getting them to stay off the worktops and stop clawing the couch to bits?