PDA

View Full Version : Dounreay: The Atomic Dream

connieb19
03-Mar-06, 19:14
The above programme is on BBC2 tonight at 9pm if any-one is interested!!:)

Rheghead
03-Mar-06, 19:24
Cheers for that, I had forgotten, I will put it on autoview:o

DrSzin
03-Mar-06, 20:04
Thanks for the reminder Connie. I saw an ad for it on tv a few nights ago, made a mental note, but I must have erased it with a few cans of Oranjeboom - not my favourite continental tipple, but I fancied a change.

Will we see any Orgers on TV tonight?

scorrie
03-Mar-06, 20:41
Thanks for the reminder Connie. I saw an ad for it on tv a few nights ago, made a mental note, but I must have erased it with a few cans of Oranjeboom - not my favourite continental tipple, but I fancied a change.

I think I saw Edgar Fisher in the trailer for this, I remember him from the shift labs in the early eighties.

Sadly I have to "tan" some beer this evening, so will need to record the program.

Oranje is not the only beer. Check out Brahma, a Brazilian Lager available in the Coop, 8 bottles for £7. Very smooth and easy drinking tipple and is the real, imported McCoy, not the usual, "Brewed under licence in the UK" watery widdle.

"Brahma, it's a Brammer"

JAWS
03-Mar-06, 20:51
Thanks Connie, I hadn't spotted it.

Funky_Foal
03-Mar-06, 21:18
my dads been waiting to watch that the whole week.

knightofeth
03-Mar-06, 23:05
I just finished watching this. I was a bit concerned that it would be too anti-nuclear but it seemed to give a pretty good overview of the history of the plant. The only problem with it was the fact that they gave Lorraine Mann so much screen time. She doesn't even know what she's talking about as far as I can see.
At the end it said Caithness is one of the places being considered for a new reactor. I don't remember reading that anywhere.

connieb19
03-Mar-06, 23:08
I just finished watching this. I was a bit concerned that it would be too anti-nuclear but it seemed to give a pretty good overview of the history of the plant. The only problem with it was the fact that they gave Lorraine Mann so much screen time. She doesn't even know what she's talking about as far as I can see.
At the end it said Caithness is one of the places being considered for a new reactor. I don't remember reading that anywhere.I have to agree. That Lorainne Mann is just...well, Erm..Lorainne Mann!! :roll: What else can you say!!

Rheghead
03-Mar-06, 23:10
I thought the programme was fair and balanced, as for the site being the place for a new reactor then read today's Groat.

ice box
03-Mar-06, 23:12
At the end it said Caithness is one of the places being considered for a new reactor. I don't remember reading that anywhere.That why there is so much things happen in caithness ie wick makes you all think coz it aint oil .

knightofeth
03-Mar-06, 23:13
I thought the programme was fair and balanced, as for the site being the place for a new reactor then read today's Groat.

ah.. I just went and read it. Oh well :(

zappster
WOW joost switched it on a whiley ago & there was ma mams uncle on it talking about the old days when he was in the dounreay police!!...Brilliant!!

kwbrown111
Don't suppose any taped this as i missed it as i was busy painting. will pay for copy if necessary

Gogglebox
03-Mar-06, 23:20
Thought this was a well balanced programmes showed al the exteremely impressive start and build of the project - - these guys have to be admired what an amout of work in 4 short years it was running
Some overtime bill there

Also it was only fair to show some of the problems which we all already know had happened and whereas the gung ho method got the thing together Health & Safety may have avoided these problem like the shaft etc

It really shows you that as much as we curse it Dounreay has enriched all our lives in the North in a lot of ways whether you are pro nuclear or not

My view bring on the next stage, the locals here accepted and built the government technology at the forefront of the world. We now deserve the chance to show we can do it again and to a even higher technological standard. THe knowledge and skill base are already here and the locals are receptive why look elsewhere - - Bring it on!

JAWS
03-Mar-06, 23:26
Just how big a group is Scotland Against Nuclear Dumping? The only references I can find is that Lorraine Mann is Convenor, it's not politically affiliated and it's not professional.

I can't find a website for it nor can I find out how big the organisation is supposed to be.
It strikes me it's another Mary Whitehouse's Viewers and Listeners Association which was given much prominence and attention by the media but only ever reached a maximum of about 200 members.

Who is she? Does anybody know?

Gogglebox
03-Mar-06, 23:38
Excellent picture of old Thurso, hope there is more of them around
Funny seeing Pennyland and Ormlie getting built

girnigoe
03-Mar-06, 23:44
Don't suppose any taped this as i missed it as i was busy painting. will pay for copy if necessary

For me also!!! Please PM me if you can help. Thanks

Cedric Farthsbottom III
03-Mar-06, 23:54
Watched the programme with the wife.Thought it was really good.

One point though,the programme made it sound as though Caithness was empty of people before Dounreay arrived.Was Caithness so really 'low populated in the 50's?:grin:

DrSzin
04-Mar-06, 00:14
I was surprised by this programme. I expected the usual Horizon- or Panorama-style sensationalist anti-nuclear crap. Instead, I saw people from my long-lost past, people I haven't seen for many, many years. I heard them describe their working lives at Dounreay, their personal experiences and their personal thoughts. I saw the father of a high-school classmate, I saw the man who signed me into Viewfirth week after week, I saw people dismantling things that my father had built more than 30 years ago. I found it really quite emotional. I didn't expect that, I really didn't.

And I saw Lorraine Mann. There was a thread on here some years ago. It was entitled "Who would be your nightmare date?" My list had several names on it. Not any more. [mad]

Fran
04-Mar-06, 00:21
Now the secret news is out. At the end of the Dounreay programme, they stated that Caithness has been earmarked for a new reactor. That explains all the new shops, thousands of houses being built and the big stores coming, but why so many on the Wick side and not Thurso?
Also an arts museum with restaurant and shops are being planned for wick.

Robby50 has taped this programme.!

Saveman
04-Mar-06, 00:23

Didn't get a chance today....what's it say?

landmarker
04-Mar-06, 00:25

Oranjeboom doc? I'm genuinely surprised LOL. A sheep in wolfs clothing with an unsubstantial after taste.

Saveman
04-Mar-06, 00:27
Oranjeboom doc? I'm genuinely surprised LOL. A sheep in wolfs clothing with an unsubstantial after taste.

Beggers can't be choosers.

So I've heard....
;)

Rheghead
04-Mar-06, 00:40
Didn't get a chance today....what's it say?

'No way Hoseé' is the Council decision by 28-21 vote majority that a reactor will not be built in the aftermath of the Dounreay experiment.

landmarker
04-Mar-06, 00:41
Hosee has a 'j' Rheggy, just like Oranjeboom lol.

kwbrown111
04-Mar-06, 00:42
if gov decides highland council can whistle up the wind as usual

Rheghead
04-Mar-06, 00:44
Hosee has a 'j' Rheggy, just like Oranjeboom lol.

You are right! though a broken clock tells the right time twice a day!:p

Ann
04-Mar-06, 00:46
Watched the programme with the wife.Thought it was really good.

One point though,the programme made it sound as though Caithness was empty of people before Dounreay arrived.Was Caithness so really 'low populated in the 50's?:grin:
Population of Caithness in 1951 - 22,710

DrSzin
04-Mar-06, 01:23
Oranjeboom doc? I'm genuinely surprised LOL. A sheep in wolfs clothing with an unsubstantial after taste.Hey, it's not that good!

By way of excuse, I did say it wasn't my usual tipple. To be honest it's godawful, I only buy it because I like the word oranjeboom. :lol:

Rheghead
04-Mar-06, 01:27
I only buy it because I like the word oranjeboom. :lol:

You are letting your objectivity slip, Doc

The Pepsi Challenge
04-Mar-06, 04:13
Now the secret news is out. At the end of the Dounreay programme, they stated that Caithness has been earmarked for a new reactor. That explains all the new shops, thousands of houses being built and the big stores coming, but why so many on the Wick side and not Thurso?
Also an arts museum with restaurant and shops are being planned for wick.

Robby50 has taped this programme.!

I wouldn't blow up any balloons or put out any party streamers quite yet.

Tymey
04-Mar-06, 11:00
I found the program to be very enjoyable and fair. Sad that much of the pioneering work done there was kept quiet because of the Official Secrets Act.

Loved the poetry which was read, thought that was a lovely touch.

That chap had a bit of a bee in his bonnet about the price of fish though....

scorrie
04-Mar-06, 12:48
Hey, it's not that good!

By way of excuse, I did say it wasn't my usual tipple. To be honest it's godawful, I only buy it because I like the word oranjeboom. :lol:

Try Orlandobloom lager instead, it's sure to leave you Legolas ;o)

mareng
04-Mar-06, 12:54

Orangeboom?!??! Brave man!

That must be one of the few beers universally recognised as giving killer headaches!

connieb19
04-Mar-06, 13:01
Orangeboom?!??! Brave man!

That must be one of the few beers universally recognised as giving killer headaches!I wonder if he's even out of bed yet this morning then? I wonder if he's ever tried Elephant beer...it's awful!!

DrSzin
04-Mar-06, 15:54
I wonder if he's even out of bed yet this morning then? I wonder if he's ever tried Elephant beer...it's awful!!Elephant beer is ok - but only if you want to get ratbottomed as quickly as possible.

I think you guys secretly like Oranjeboom - you've been rabbiting on about it for the last page on here. Well, maybe you don't much like the beer either, but maybe you like the word too: oranjeboom, oranjeboom, ...

Loved the poetry which was read, thought that was a lovely touch.Yeah, me too, the poetry was one of the highlights of the programme.

I also loved listening to the owld mannie that lived near Dounreay, I could have listened to that wonderful accent all night. Sincere apologies for not remembering his name. :o

That chap had a bit of a bee in his bonnet about the price of fish though....Yes, that was soo funny, and after all these years too.

Just how big a group is Scotland Against Nuclear Dumping? The only references I can find is that Lorraine Mann is Convenor, it's not politically affiliated and it's not professional.Lol JAWS, I found that website too. Not professional? Well, yes, I guess it does say that. :)

I can't find a website for it nor can I find out how big the organisation is supposed to be.
It strikes me it's another Mary Whitehouse's Viewers and Listeners Association which was given much prominence and attention by the media but only ever reached a maximum of about 200 members.

Who is she? Does anybody know?:lol:Well, I would guess she's the same Lorraine Mann listed here (http://www.highlandyouthvoice.org/Minutes/Executive_minutes_10thJan2003.htm). (Scroll down a bit to find the bit about her.)

I liked the bit when she laughed. It was far more scary than living next door to a nuclear power station. :eek:

I'm no expert on nuclear power, but I'd guess that the next generation of reactors to be built in the UK won't be fast breeders. (Yes, I do think there will be a next generation.)

weeboyagee
04-Mar-06, 16:26
....watched the programme in the Comm and what a mix of laughs and serious notes on the effect Dounreay has had on the community over the past few years. Best laugh on the programme was when George said (in respect of the sodium explosion in the shaft....) how his grandmother used washing soda but she never blew the roof o' her hoos' off! The pub fell about laughing! :D

The next laugh was when some who didn't understand what we were laughing at had the subtitles put on the tele to let them understand the Kaitness accent!

Whats this oranjboom you guys - I've not heard o' that one - and that's unusual! :D

golach
04-Mar-06, 17:17
[quote=weeboyagee
Whats this oranjboom you guys - I've not heard o' that one - and that's unusual! [/quote]
its a cheap beer from Holland, and I would not touch it even if that was the only beer my local served

~~Tides~~
04-Mar-06, 18:53
My view bring on the next stage, the locals here accepted and built the government technology at the forefront of the world. We now deserve the chance to show we can do it again and to a even higher technological standard. THe knowledge and skill base are already here and the locals are receptive why look elsewhere - - Bring it on!

Didn't it say in the Groat yesterday that the Highland council had decided not to put Caithness forward for another reactor, against the wishes of the local councilers?

r.rackstraw
04-Mar-06, 22:52
I thought that the programme was reasonably well balanced.
I was an 'Atomic' back in the 1960s.
It was remarkable what was achieved in a few years - and a sad mistake when the politicians decided to pull the plug.

Rheghead
05-Mar-06, 13:04
Does anyone know who wrote/recited the poems throughout the programme? I thought they were very funny and well recited.

jimag
05-Mar-06, 13:44
Dont know who recited the poem but almost certain it is by the late Donald Grant - first rector of Thurso High School

Sandra
05-Mar-06, 18:30
I really like the poems too, and thought the old films from the past were great.

What a great sense of achievement there must have been. And yes, it is sad that the government pulled the plug.

The Pepsi Challenge
06-Mar-06, 07:12
Could Government not get Dounreay as far away from London from possible? Be nice to know if anyone has put the documentary up on putfile.com or youtube.com