PDA

View Full Version : A wee rant....

rambo1978
30-Apr-09, 23:59
What is it with all these damn bingo and gambling ads on tv recently, it really is getting out of control, there is enough rubbish advertised on tv without having all of that crap too.

Am I the only one getting worked up about this?

Kodiak
01-May-09, 00:04
No you are not, I feel exactly the same way. Mind you at the first sign of an advert for Bingo or the like I mute the Sound so I do not have to listen to it.

You can get a good laugh at watching someone in a FOX Suit dancing to no Music. [lol]

davlaurjen
01-May-09, 00:04
It's the sheer number of different online bingo sites that baffles me.Do they all make a profit?I suppose they must.:eek:

Anne x
01-May-09, 00:24
What is it with all these damn bingo and gambling ads on tv recently, it really is getting out of control, there is enough rubbish advertised on tv without having all of that crap too.

100% agree

Bazeye
01-May-09, 00:38
I know its not a bingo ad but the one that does my napper in is the one for the skillcentre where the two blokes meet up 3 years after workin gtogether. God , that really does get me reaching for the remote :mad::mad::mad:

rambo1978
01-May-09, 00:44
I know its not a bingo ad but the one that does my napper in is the one for the skillcentre where the two blokes meet up 3 years after workin gtogether. God , that really does get me reaching for the remote :mad::mad::mad:
Yeah that one kills me too Baz lol, although the most annoying ad is the hefty woman in pink pj's dancing up the walls etc doing the most ridiculous dance, that really grates on my nerves!

butterfly
01-May-09, 03:02

Have to agree,but i press the mute whenever the ads come on because the sound seems higher than the programme i was watching.

Aaldtimer
01-May-09, 03:05
Have to agree,but i press the mute whenever the ads come on because the sound seems higher than the programme i was watching.

Absolutely agree with that one Butterfly!
Mute button gets overtime in my pad![disgust]

Metalattakk
01-May-09, 03:17

Apparently not. But, one question:

Why on earth would anyone watch adverts?

joxville
01-May-09, 05:51
Apparently not. But, one question:

Why on earth would anyone watch adverts?

Sometimes the ad's are better than the programmes.

Kevin Milkins
01-May-09, 06:30
I watch my favourite programs from ten minutes after the start, rewind them with the live TV and then fast forward them through the adverts.:Razz

It must work OK as I don't remember seeing any of the above adverts.

hotrod4
01-May-09, 06:47
Have you had an accident in the last five years?(Not available in Scotland)
Did you trip and fall on some water because Aggie the cleaner forgot to put a sign?
Did you get a lovely big cheque from your employer and still keep your job? Dont think so!!!![lol]
Hate those ones[evil]

Twiggy
01-May-09, 07:38
The one that gets me going is the one with all the people shouting Gives a job[lol]

joxville
01-May-09, 07:45
One that makes me cringe is Moonpig, and that blooming Foxy bingo ad is sooooo cheap.

woofit
01-May-09, 09:17
I'll second that...Foxy bingo adverts are so AAARRRRRGGGGHHH! What annoys me is to think that somebody is getting a fat wage to come up with these adverts?! I wonder how long they needed to 'brainstorm' to come up with the concept of having somebody dress up in a fox outfit...it's just so cutting edge, lol.

I also find the Tunnocks Caramel Wafer advert a bit naff, again a 'startling' concept of people pretending to eat them...I'd better remove myself from this thread as I fear I may be beginning to rant hehe.

kmahon2001
01-May-09, 09:37
Absolutely agree with that one Butterfly!
Mute button gets overtime in my pad![disgust]

I don't mean to swank (well actually, yes I do :Razz) but I've got Sky+ and so I record anything I want to watch and then watch it later, that way I can fast forward all the ads. So if anyone needs a spare mute button..... ;)

percy toboggan
01-May-09, 09:46
I was recently dismayed to see that ITV 1 output after 11pm. was dominated by gambling shows.

Adverts for these should be banned. I also dislike the fact some football clubs have sponsorship on their shirts promoting gambling organisations.

This is yet another sign of a nation going belly up. I fear we need a new puritannical age to route out the corrosive elements of the last four decades. It's unlikely to happen as we have few politicians of charisma and conviction. In fact the very thought has me laughing into my corn-flakes.

p.s. you prefaced your post with the heading: 'rant'
- innapropriate in my view, nothing ranting abou your words at all, just common sense objectivity...you even closed with an open question. I gave you good rep whereas a rant would have gone in one ear and out the other - probably.

balto
01-May-09, 09:51
oh bingo ad that gets me is that bingo.com, ooohhhh that womans voice is so annoying, you know the one where she says cheecky cheecky in a posh english voice, tell you the mute button swiftly gets pressed.

pat
01-May-09, 10:17
very rarely watch television - make an exception for The Antiques Road Show.

Many of the television programmes and definitely the adverts contain so much rubbish that I find it hard to believe people sit every night in front of a box with moving pictures and then complain about what they are watching.
There is an off button and many more interesting things to do with life than watch other people playing/acting out idiotic situations and also to be inundated with different ways to entice you to spend your hard earned money on rubbish you are seeing being advertised too.

I am definitely an OFF completely button - would not really notice if there was not a television in the house.

Vistravi
01-May-09, 14:55
Sometimes the ad's are better than the programmes.
You must watch very rubbish tv jox ;)

I don't mean to swank (well actually, yes I do ) but I've got Sky+ and so I record anything I want to watch and then watch it later, that way I can fast forward all the ads. So if anyone needs a spare mute button.....

I'll do one better Kmahon, i don't watch tv at all :lol:. I download any tv series such as heroes onto the computer and watch it there.
By the sounds of it i'm not missing much. :roll:

honey
01-May-09, 14:58
i usually sky+ my progs and watch them with at least a 10 min delay so that i can fast forward ads.. they drive me mad!!

joxville
01-May-09, 15:45
You must watch very rubbish tv jox

Doesn't everyone? :confused

Vistravi
01-May-09, 15:53
Doesn't everyone? :confused

Very true. Thats all thats on the tv really.

lister
01-May-09, 16:45
Cillit bang.....what the hells he shouting for??????? i haven't moved my sitting room chair 70 feet into the front garden on my neighbours since the programme ended,jeeez!!!
T.V. years ago was simple and more entertaining so were the adverts with 2/3 channels(giving away ma age now)of genuine entertainment not repeats an gambling...RANT:rolleyes:

Gizmo
01-May-09, 17:13
I'm surprised no one has mentioned that utterly pathetic 'Cheese Strings' advert, it's gets my vote for worst ad ever, and at the other end of the spectrum you have the utterly genius 'Compare the market/meerkat' ad, if i was an Arab then Alexandar The Meerkat could probably sell me sand :D

teenybash
01-May-09, 17:27
The gambling ads are just the next in line to get us all hooked on something.....First came tobacco ads and all got hooked...then the big foody ads and we all ate too much...next in line booze and now gambling....The follow up to all of this, once whoever has made their mega bucks is.....ban smoking, obesity kills, alchol ruins your life and causes crime....we will have to wait and see what gambling causes..............OOoooo maybe I am just getting paranoid!!:confused

Bazeye
01-May-09, 21:50
The gambling ads are just the next in line to get us all hooked on something.....First came tobacco ads and all got hooked...then the big foody ads and we all ate too much...next in line booze and now gambling....The follow up to all of this, once whoever has made their mega bucks is.....ban smoking, obesity kills, alchol ruins your life and causes crime....we will have to wait and see what gambling causes..............OOoooo maybe I am just getting paranoid!!:confused

Just waiting for the "Crack cocaine, you know you want it" ad as endorsed by Pete Doherty.

mrsinkstack
02-May-09, 14:51
I hate Moonpig, had a rant at work one day and a colleague of mines saved it for his ring tone for the next six months, just to wind me up, cheers :roll:

Iris
02-May-09, 15:14
Hmm. So glad I don't have a TV!

goldilocks
02-May-09, 16:21
I think all Ad's should be banned, they take up to much time and you aren't two minutes into watching a programme when, yip you guested it they break for an Ad, Gggrrrrr [disgust]

Mrs Bucket
02-May-09, 19:17
The one that gets me going is the one with all the people shouting Gives a job[lol]
Cant stand that advert. Absolutely hate it Disgusting [disgust]