PDA

View Full Version : i've lost my sound

katarina
29-Apr-09, 21:09
help. i've lost my sound. my pc says everything is working. i get themessage 'media player has encountered a problem' any ideas?

dx100uk
30-Apr-09, 01:06
do you mean all sound?
ie if you click once on the speaker icom in the bottom right, and move the slider does it go ping when you let it go again?
if it does then its prob a wmp fault.
i'd reinstall it.

what are running xp or vista?

dx

katarina
30-Apr-09, 08:08
I've got vista, and the slide at the bottom makes no noise at all. I've tried to return the computer to a previous saved point, but this too is unsuccessful

katarina
30-Apr-09, 08:10
At one stage i got the message 'a file is missing' but can't get it again. How do i find out which file?

blueivy
30-Apr-09, 16:48
At one stage i got the message 'a file is missing' but can't get it again. How do i find out which file?

In Vista if you go to Start->Control Panel->Device Manager do you get anything listed with an exclamation mark and yellow shield?

katarina
30-Apr-09, 17:57
No I don't. ........

blueivy
30-Apr-09, 19:09
No I don't. ........

Do you have the drivers for your sound card? If so, reinstall. If not, go to Start->Control Panel->Device Manager->Sound, video and game controllers and find your sound device. What is it called?

katarina
30-Apr-09, 21:08
two things have come up here. Sigma Tel High Definition Audio CODEC

and sound tap recorder.

blueivy
01-May-09, 11:17
two things have come up here. Sigma Tel High Definition Audio CODEC

and sound tap recorder.

My advice would be to reinstall the drivers for the sound card. Is this a branded computer (ie. is it a Dell, HP, Acer etc.)?

katarina
01-May-09, 16:28
It is a dell. I did download the drivers but still no sound.

katarina
01-May-09, 16:30
I have also gotten the message 'file maybe renamed or moved to a different location.' if that's the case, how can i find out where it has gone? thanks for your patience.

blueivy
01-May-09, 16:43
I have also gotten the message 'file maybe renamed or moved to a different location.' if that's the case, how can i find out where it has gone? thanks for your patience.

When do you get this message and what are you doing at the time? It may not be related.

My suggestions is to uninstall the drivers for the sound. Reboot. Reinstall the drivers. You may have already done this but did you do the reboot in the middle?

Are you also ABSOLUTELY SURE your sound is working?

katarina
01-May-09, 21:36
I'm absolutely cartain my sound isn't working. I did reboot, but I didn't uninstall anything first. How i lost my sound was this. I bought an mp3 player from tescos. I asked the girl was it compatable with itunes, and she said she would fine out. She came back and said it was. Of course it wasn't - no songs would load. I took the whole thing back and a guy from the relevant department came amd told me that i couldn't load from itunes unless i downloaded a converter from the net first and told me how to do that. I said I didn't want it if it wasn't compatable with itunes, but that didn't make an impression. I downloaded the converter, converted all the tunes (and it converted ALL the tunes - my daughters as well as mine) And yes it loaded them on to my mp3 player, but afterwards all the tunes were deleted from my computer - my daughter wasn't best pleased! At this point the sound was still working. I then tried to copy a cd, only instead of putting it into itunes, copied it straight into the new downloaded program. It copied the cd - but since then I have no sound. I deleted the new program but that did not solve the problem.
I'm going away tomorrow for the weekend but be back on monday if you have any more suggestions i would be happy to try them. Thanks.

dx100uk
01-May-09, 23:17
well in intersting story but only a remote prob it is linked.
poss might be that the prog installed earlier versions of an important .dll files etc.
but that would have killed it as soon as you installed it, not days after.

i think the only way to get this going is to see if paul can pop around or p'haps install logmein, that way i can look at your pc config remotely & fix it .
i'm not back in wick till end of may 1/2 term holiday, if its not fixed by then, i'll gladly get you going.

leave things with you to decide.

dx

Matthew
02-May-09, 01:46
It is a dell. I did download the drivers but still no sound.

This does sound like a driver problem. Do you see the sound icon at the bottom right? If you dont then it is definately drivers. If you do have a sound icon, check all connections to your speakers. Maybe your speakers are faulty? Try different speakers?

You should have a dell service tag. Go to dell support type this in and you will be able to download all drivers specifially for your computer. If you have already downloaded them from there then I dont know else to suggest.

katarina
05-May-09, 12:26
the sound icon is there.

blueivy
05-May-09, 12:40
the sound icon is there.

I would suggest you get somebody to look at this Katarina. If you reinstalled the software the sounds then it's not going to be something that can easily be fixed through the forum. You may get lucky though.

If you're in Wick I could take a look at it. Drop me a PM if you're interested.

katarina
05-May-09, 12:54
I went into speaker set up and tested the sound and I did get the test sound, so speakers must be working. Still can't play music tho.

blueivy
05-May-09, 13:36
I went into speaker set up and tested the sound and I did get the test sound, so speakers must be working. Still can't play music tho.

If you click on the speaker icon in the system tray, there should be an option at the bottom that says Mixer. Click that. What do you see (any of the sliders at the bottom for example or muted)?

Invisible
05-May-09, 15:56
this happens with my vista laptop, i don't know if its a fault or comes standard with Sony Vaio. If i leave my laptop about 5 mins without action it comes up with no sound when i try to return to itunes. To fix it i need to exit itunes and fold down the screen, restart and play itunes again.

katarina
05-May-09, 21:01
If you click on the speaker icon in the system tray, there should be an option at the bottom that says Mixer. Click that. What do you see (any of the sliders at the bottom for example or muted)?

No they are half way up.

katarina
05-May-09, 21:33
I've got it working! there was a tick on the speaker icon for sound tap recording, when i changed that to the icon for sigma tel high definition audio, the sound came back on! Simple really, if only I knew how. thank you all who tried to help especially blue ivy!