PDA

View Full Version : First Cuckoo in Caithness?

Stargazer
29-Apr-09, 21:01
I heard my first Cuckoo this year in the forest to the west of Loch Calder this morning. Has anybody else heard one earlier in Caithness?

the_count
30-Apr-09, 00:35
heard one up at st johns loch at the weekend but only called once so not really a positive id. i was sure it was too early but down south i know you used to hear them as early as april. :D

AngieMac
30-Apr-09, 08:11
I know it's not Caithness but Cuckoos back in Borgie, Sutherland on Sunday. Swallows made it home on Saturday. Always a welcome sight.

Kevin Milkins
30-Apr-09, 09:21
heard one up at st johns loch at the weekend but only called once so not really a positive id. i was sure it was too early but down south i know you used to hear them as early as april. :D

It is April,lol.

I think down South they say April 14th is the optimun date, but have not heared one yet:(

They sure fills me with the joy of spring and saw some swallows at the weekend.

Kenn
30-Apr-09, 09:29
Not heard one down here either but at least one has been reported on Orkney.
Must have done a silent fly past!

Anji
30-Apr-09, 10:28
We heard one at Greenland last night. I hope it comes and sits on our fence again like it did last year.
Assuming it's the same one of course.

sprint95m
01-May-09, 22:33
Swallows made it home on Saturday. Always a welcome sight.
In Wick's town centre, I also saw swallows last Saturday.
This morning, again near the town centre, I saw two swifts. This evening one was flying over the Bignold Park.

mostlyharmless
01-May-09, 22:55
Yes I've heard one[cuckoo] a couple of times this week Weds and Thursday morning for long periods on and off... in Scarfskerry!Swallows arrived back today too 30th.