PDA

View Full Version : Where was I?

northener
29-Apr-09, 18:22
I was here today...tell me where it is and why this photo is so unusual and you'll win a Mars Bar.

There's a clue in the 'unusual' comment.:Razz

Kodiak
29-Apr-09, 18:31
Looks like Cape Wrath to me, but there are at least three others that look like this as well.

Venture
29-Apr-09, 18:35
I think its definitely Cape Wrath. Is this maybe a trick question Northener? Maybe you were here and not there at all.

ciderally
29-Apr-09, 18:35
i know.....hope you had a good trip..

joxville
29-Apr-09, 18:43
It's Cape Wrath Lighthouse. I'd suggest it's unusual because you normally don't take photographs.

Or the rain stayed off long enough for you to take the pic.

Does the power for the light come from a generator, hence the need for an oil tank. All other lighthouses are powered direct from the National Grid.

Now I must go and find more straws to clutch. :D

armanisgirl
29-Apr-09, 18:45
Is it Duncansby Head? (Only one I can think of with some of the letters from unusual and am assuming thats the clue? lol)

Kodiak
29-Apr-09, 18:47
I thought it was Cape Wrath, although I have not been there since 1983. Here is a Picture I took of Cape Wrath when I was a Keeper there, Taken about 1980. :D
I can see nothing unusual in your Photograph, unless you are meaning the Gates but they have been there for ages. I know the gates used to further back up the track but that was before they removed the old Principal Keepers House and the Engine Room along with the three out buildings of which one was a Garage.

http://i39.tinypic.com/2567j82.jpg

K.

northener
29-Apr-09, 18:55
Well, Cape Wrath it most certainly is.

But you're missing the vital bit..the clue is in the picture - so no Mars Bar until someone tells me why it is an unusual scene.

helenwyler
29-Apr-09, 18:56
I'll go with Cape Wrath seeing as you've titled the pic CW :D.

Has the Motherbin morphed into a motorbike-shaped Jaffa cake?

Kodiak
29-Apr-09, 18:59
Is it Duncansby Head? (Only one I can think of with some of the letters from unusual and am assuming thats the clue? lol)

No this pic is of Duncansby Head

http://i42.tinypic.com/hs7xgp.jpg

armanisgirl
29-Apr-09, 19:00
Because you're not ON the bike? I haven't been North for sooo many years I wouldn't have a clue why the picture is unusual! I would hazard a guess (which will be wrong haha) that it's something to do with the big tank thing in the lighthouse grounds? (like it's powered by oil or gas rather than electric? God knows!?!)

armanisgirl
29-Apr-09, 19:03
Looks like Cape Wrath to me, but there are at least three others that look like this as well.

Looks like you've won half a mars bars! :) Thanx for pic of Duncansby too!

Kodiak
29-Apr-09, 19:11
You will need to say what you think is unusual in your Photograph notherner, I can see nothing Unusual at all.

The Oil tanks are normal and have been there since 1998. There is a SchemeR on the Balcony and that is Usual as well. The Gates are closer to the Lighthouse than they were but this is also Usual as are the Hand Rails, they were there long before I was appointed a Keeper there in 1979.

So I dont know so please tell us.

Just a biy of Trivia, Cape Wrath was the Very First place where the PI Windmill was Tested back in 1981. The PI revolved Horizontally and was very innovative in its time but was a Failure. I was one of the keepers who Monitored this until it was blown down in a Rather Strong Gale that lasted three days.

joxville
29-Apr-09, 19:16
It's unusual cos you had something strapped to the bike and it fell off without you noticing.

I've run out of ideas. Give us a clue or just tell us all please.

armanisgirl
29-Apr-09, 19:28
This is worse than spot the difference! At least with that you can see whats unusual! Doesn't help that I've not been up for about 20 yrs! Ok, how about the green stuff o the road is seaweed? lol. Or, you normally take black and white pics and this is colour? Or you don't normally take pics of buildings/lighthouses. Or......think I'm grasoing at straws here haha

woofit
29-Apr-09, 19:34
Cape Wrath and it's so unusual as it's not raining?

northener
29-Apr-09, 19:36
Kodiak, I'm suprised you haven't got this.

It probably isn't very easy for anyone who doesn't know the area - so here's a prompt.

Google Cape Wrath and read about tourism.;)

helenwyler
29-Apr-09, 19:37
Ok, how about the green stuff o the road is seaweed? lol.

I think the green stuff up to the fence looks suspicious too, armanisgirl!

Looks like a shadow behind the bike, but there's no sun. Maybe a bit of photoshopping? :eek:

Aha! No public road access?

northener
29-Apr-09, 19:37
I'll go with Cape Wrath seeing as you've titled the pic CW :D.

Has the Motherbin morphed into a motorbike-shaped Jaffa cake?

Ooooh, getting warm, Helen.;)

lister
29-Apr-09, 19:38
Have you got a pic of the Mid Clyth lighthouse and especially the road down to it.
Its quite scary going down for the 1st time you think its going straught into the sea over the high cliffs,amazing sight

highlander
29-Apr-09, 19:44
The only thing i see in the photo is the colour of the sky is very pink, but maybe its because you were the first to be served at thier new cafe?

joxville
I didn't need to Google this. It's one of only two places in Britain with Cape in it's name-the other being Cape Cornwall.

northener
Have you got a pic of the Mid Clyth lighthouse and especially the road down to it.
Its quite scary going down for the 1st time you think its going straught into the sea over the high cliffs,amazing sight

Sorry Lister I haven't, but you've given me an idea for my next little 'adventure'......should be easier to get to as well.

woofit
29-Apr-09, 19:49
You have to get the ferry to go to Cape Wrath and then a tourist bus to the lighthouse, so no motorbikes allowed?? Am I getting any closer?

lister
29-Apr-09, 19:50
Sorry Lister I haven't, but you've given me an idea for my next little 'adventure'......should be easier to get to as well.

I feel you might need some advice 1st,make sure you're brakes work (o god)and watch the bend at the bottom its tight and turns right and does'nt go anywhere but the lighthouse itself.
Stunning.
I'm sure all who view your exploits with the camera will be amased too!

highlander
29-Apr-09, 19:54
Maybe its a sooper-dooper sonic bike and dodged all the ammo fired at you at the firing ranges. lol Is it not off limits at this time of year to be at cape wrath?

armanisgirl
29-Apr-09, 19:55
You have to take a boat to get to it?

armanisgirl
29-Apr-09, 20:05
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince was potentially going to be filmed here - thus bringing a huge tourism boost to the area. Dunno if they did film any part there or not? But Cape Wrath was picked as a possible location

armanisgirl
29-Apr-09, 20:08
P.S - The following locations were also checked out as possible film locations for HP - Smoo Cave, Clo Mor, the arches under Cape Wrath, Stac Clo Kearvaig, and the cave at Whaligoe Steps (isn't google amazing?)

woofit
29-Apr-09, 20:08
There are no seabirds in the photo as they have all been traumatised by the MOD's bombing in the area??!

Kodiak
29-Apr-09, 20:23
There are no seabirds in the photo as they have all been traumatised by the MOD's bombing in the area??!

There never have been many Sea Birds at Cape Wrath. What we were told many years ago was that it was the High amount of Natural Radiation from the Rocks that kept them away. I do not know if this is true or not.

You have to take a boat to get to it?

This is not exactly 100% correct. As there are at least 2 other ways you can access Cape Wrath without going by the Ferry.

One there is a small bridge down at the narrow end, just big enough for a Bike or to walk across and there is a path that leads to the road.

Two There is a Road that goes almost to Sandwood Bay and you could walk or ride in to Sandwood Bay and then over the Hill to either the Road or the more direct route to Cape Wrath.

So perhaps this is the unusual thing northerner, a Motor Bike at the Cape. Unfortunately if this is what you mean then it has been done before.

There was once a 4 Berth Caravan brought in to the Lighthouse. It was for a worker from Marconi who was there for 6 months during one Summer. The Caravan was towed across the Kyle on a Raft, it was some sight to see. When it was taken off it was air lifted by a Sea King Helicopter. All Good Fun.

northener
29-Apr-09, 20:39
Well, we got there in the end!

Well done.

Woofit was the first one to get it near as dammit....so PM me yer address Woofit and a Mars Bar will be winging it's way to you.

The only 'proper' access to the Cape these days is by foot passenger ferry. It's a little 18ft orkney glass fibre fishing boat - so it is pedestrian access only these days...that's why it's unusual to see a motorbike up there.

But we had 16 motorbikes up at the lighthouse today.

We were doing a tour for charity visiting the most Northerly, Easterly, Westerly etc points of Scotland. Unfortunately, I could only do the Far North leg.
We organised use of the floating pontoon they use to take the minibus and military landrovers over to the Cape. And it was a right laugh loading them on and off the slipways at either end. Something I'll bet Kodiak is all too familiar with.:Razz

I'm sure we weren't the first motorbikes to go to the lighthouse (i didn't know about the caravan:eek:), but the lads who run the ferry said we were the first 'civvy' motorbikes to go across on their pontoon/ferry.

Anyway, it was very good fun and lovely to have the road completely to ourselves.

Here's a piccie of the first load setting off.

Tristan
29-Apr-09, 20:44
There is no one else in the picture, which means he had to ride alone...very unusual.[lol]:D

Invisible
29-Apr-09, 20:44
I should have got here earlier. Knew the answer (not that im braggin)

skinnydog
29-Apr-09, 20:51
Looks like a lot of fun. I love seeing loads of bikes together - that must be so cool just touring about. No use for me unless I had a massive side cart for the daughter and the dog. And perhaps the OH too.........

joxville
29-Apr-09, 20:56
I dinna like Mars Bars anyway.[evil]

Kodiak
29-Apr-09, 20:59
What we had at the Lighthouse, which all came across the Kyle by the Raft, was the following:-

A Land Rover
Massey Ferguson Tractor
A Larger Trailor for the Tractor

Also as I said earlier a 4 berth Caravan. Since we had all this I tought nothing unusual about a Motor Bike/s being at the Cape.

Also during my time at the Lighthouse I remmber the Mini-Bus and there was a new one each year and usually there was 2 running at a time. All of these Busses had to be transported across the Kyle by being towed on the raft.

At the time the raft was owned by the Ferryman at the time, John Muir was his name, and he took everything across.

woofit
29-Apr-09, 21:03
Woohoo I've won a Mars bar....delighted! I do love a good mystery :-)

Looks like a lovely part of the country for a visit, very picturesque.

Thanks for putting me out of my misery northener, my guesses would only have become more random! Glad you enjoyed your day.

northener
29-Apr-09, 21:07
What we had at the Lighthouse, which all came across the Kyle by the Raft, was the following:-

A Land Rover
Massey Ferguson Tractor
A Larger Trailor for the Tractor

Also as I said earlier a 4 berth Caravan. Since we had all this I tought nothing unusual about a Motor Bike/s being at the Cape.

Also during my time at the Lighthouse I remmber the Mini-Bus and there was a new one each year and usually there was 2 running at a time. All of these Busses had to be transported across the Kyle by being towed on the raft.

At the time the raft was owned by the Ferryman at the time, John Muir was his name, and he took everything across.

There's the minibus, an Argocat and a ford pickup over there at the moment. The boys on the ferry were saying they used to take over Army trucks up until recently - but they had to put a weight restriction on one of the bridges - so the Army only take Land Rover sized stuff across.

We went across two years ago as foot passengers - the old boy who dives the minibus drives like something posessed - you remember how narrow the stone bridge is? He doesn't even slow down for it......

I don't know what the current ferrymans name is - but he must have been doing it for some time as he remembers an aquaintance of mine who was in the Coastguard many years ago.

armanisgirl
29-Apr-09, 21:13
Bet that was fun trying to get 'rafts' filled with big heavy bikes and riders! Didn't you have any near 'accidents'? lol. What a great way to spend the day, and for charity. well done :)

Hmmmm, those 'clues' were a bit dodgy! "Google Cape Wrath and read about tourism", hmmmmmm "unusual", hmmmmmmmm. :P

Kodiak
29-Apr-09, 21:17
I was also in the Aux Coastguard for many years, both at Cape Wrath and Stroma.

The Bridge at the River Dall was errected by the Army in either 1981 or 1982, cant remamber which. Until then it was just a Ford and you had to drive through it quite slowly as sometime the water was quite high, all good fun.

I have many memories about the Cape, like when the Road gave way when I was driving the Land Rover and it was stuck there for almost a week. Lots of little things and I keep on saying that I will write a book about it all but I have got round to it, maybe one day.

Kodiak
29-Apr-09, 21:49
Here is a Picture of the Road at Cape Wrath and the River Dall. It shows what the River was Like before the Bridge was put in and if you look closely you can see the small Foot Bridge spanning the river. :D

If you floow the road to the top of the hill you will see a small building on the skyline, this used to be the School when there were family's living that side of the Kyle.

http://i41.tinypic.com/2cr8rqg.jpg