PDA

View Full Version : Ministers defeated in Gurkha vote

bekisman
29-Apr-09, 16:29
Don't want this to be a slanging match, just a quick post to celebrate..

Ministers defeated in Gurkha vote

The government has lost a Commons vote on its policy of restricting the right of former Gurkhas to settle in the UK.MPs voted by 267 to 246 in favour of a Lib Dem motion that the government should extend an equal right of residence to all Gurkhas. Earlier Lib Dem leader Nick Clegg said the current policy, announced by the government last week, was "shameful". Gordon Brown said earlier he wanted justice for the Gurkhas but any policy change had to be affordable.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8023882.stm

MadPict
29-Apr-09, 16:43
Let's hope they hang their heads in shame and change the rules to allow all retired Gurkhas rights to live and work in the UK.

“Aayo Gurkhali”

Gene Hunt
29-Apr-09, 17:14
Just seen it. Great Result.

Not over yet though.

Tighsonas4
29-Apr-09, 17:35
itdosent seem to be a outright victory. seems they need to have won a vc or other medal to stay,but still a big defeat for the goverment tony

Gronnuck
29-Apr-09, 18:00
Great news for our Gurkha colleagues.
It's been reported as a 'significant' defeat for the government. Well here's hoping they'll get use to it because I'm sure there will be many more defeats heading their way.

Kodiak
29-Apr-09, 18:01
This is the best news I have heard about for quite some time now. :D

ciderally
29-Apr-09, 18:38
at long last....

Aaldtimer
29-Apr-09, 19:23
..."
'Immense victory'
The vote is not binding, but it represents an embarrassing Commons defeat for Gordon Brown."...:eek:

Fly
29-Apr-09, 23:29
What's the betting that this shower will find some way of wriggling out of it like they have done previously.
Our present government welcome the scum of the earth and throw money at them, but these men who have fought for Britain are treated like dirt.

MadPict
29-Apr-09, 23:48
Listening to that slimebag Woolas reply to todays events I have no doubt they are working flat out on some excuse as to why the rules they tried to push through were fair to the Gurkhas....

butterfly
30-Apr-09, 00:05
It's not a victory yet....but a step in the right direction.Good result.

tommytool
30-Apr-09, 01:45
respect to all who fights for queen and country
its the least we can give to these brave soldiers who have fought so we can enjoy the freedom and rights we expect and often take for granted.

percy toboggan
30-Apr-09, 08:36
In the words of Nicholas Clegg - the great, profound & heavyweight Liberal leader 'those who are willing to die for the country must be allowed to live in the country'

Two points: 1) If you're unwilling to die for your country should you be thrown
out? (this might be a good idea)

2) Why not now scour the globe and launch recruiting campaigns in Darfur and other miserable third world hotspots for combatants, who knowing their families could all come here and look forward to decades of state funded dependency might be trampled in the rush. Flushed with extra numbers who will soldier for a bowl of porridge and a spam sandwich a day our politicians could invest in all kinds of foreign mis-adventures and 'wars' . Dependents could be given skivvy jobs at sub-saharan sub-minimum wage, enabling the British populace to stay at home waiting for their Girocheques.

This is a bad move - if the numbers are in the hundreds then I suppose we shall have to live with it, but the worst case scenario is for thousands of Gurkha dependent people (family members) will be migrating to Britain.

You do not need a slanging match - and I am dismayed by the way such a term is used in an attempt to supress any well constructed counter view. The other - prematurely 'closed' thread was far from a slanging match either.

Some people wouldn't know a slanging match if it jumped up and shouted nasty words at them.

golach
30-Apr-09, 09:12
Ahhh Percy, your medication must be kicking in this morning, and your "Spurtle" is hard at work as usual.[lol]

MadPict
30-Apr-09, 10:53
In the words of Nicholas Clegg - the great, profound & heavyweight Liberal leader 'those who are willing to die for the country must be allowed to live in the country'

At least he had the decency to challenge this despicable shower of spineless noses-in-the-trough so called "honourable" scum...

Two points: 1) If you're unwilling to die for your country should you be thrown
out? (this might be a good idea)

2) Why not now scour the globe and launch recruiting campaigns in Darfur and other miserable third world hotspots for combatants, who knowing their families could all come here and look forward to decades of state funded dependency might be trampled in the rush. Flushed with extra numbers who will soldier for a bowl of porridge and a spam sandwich a day our politicians could invest in all kinds of foreign mis-adventures and 'wars' . Dependents could be given skivvy jobs at sub-saharan sub-minimum wage, enabling the British populace to stay at home waiting for their Girocheques.

This is a bad move - if the numbers are in the hundreds then I suppose we shall have to live with it, but the worst case scenario is for thousands of Gurkha dependent people (family members) will be migrating to Britain.

You do not need a slanging match - and I am dismayed by the way such a term is used in an attempt to supress any well constructed counter view. The other - prematurely 'closed' thread was far from a slanging match either.

Some people wouldn't know a slanging match if it jumped up and shouted nasty words at them.

Your remark above besmirches the brave and loyal Gurkhas who have served this country and belittles their right to a decent retirement after their service. Why should they get anything less than any other person serving in the UK Armed Forces?
You would fit in well with Brown and his cronies on the front benches with an opinion like that.

Thankfully, because the Gurkhas and British servicemen and women have had the backbone to stand up and fight for whatever cause the UK government has decided to go to war, you can sit comfortably (or not, depending on the current level of pain relief you have at your disposal) and post such claptrap.

But I am sure you will have some witty retort waiting to match your diatribe above...

[disgust]

percy toboggan
30-Apr-09, 11:00
At least he had the decency to challenge this despicable shower of spineless noses-in-the-trough so called "honourable" scum...

Your remark above besmirches the brave and loyal Gurkhas who have served this country and belittles their right to a decent retirement after their service. Why should they get anything less than any other person serving in the UK Armed Forces?
You would fit in well with Brown and his cronies on the front benches with an opinion like that.

Thankfully, because the Gurkhas and British servicemen and women have had the backbone to stand up and fight for whatever cause the UK government has decided to go to war, you can sit comfortably (or not, depending on the current level of pain relief you have at your disposal) and post such claptrap.

But I am sure you will have some witty retort waiting to match your diatribe above...

[disgust]

Witty diatribe? As if . I do not besmirch anyone. If Gurkhas wish to settle here they need to adopt British traits of humour and self-deprecation, and of course a sense of humour.

Perhaps a new motto for civvy life 'life a little, laugh a lot - especially at oneself'

I'm comfortable thank you, but I would feel even more comfortable on that front bench. I'd be at home on the leather there and thank you for filling my head with such grand ideas.

I can hear the speaker now " Percy Toboggan"! as I rose, gingerly waving a sheaf of prescriptions I'd recently paid for and notes laden with witty diatribes.No party would have me though and I wouldn't join one that would.

bekisman
30-Apr-09, 11:47
Percy: "You do not need a slanging match - and I am dismayed by the way such a term is used in an attempt to supress any well constructed counter view. The other - prematurely 'closed' thread was far from a slanging match either. Some people wouldn't know a slanging match if it jumped up and shouted nasty words at them. " - I actually stayed - unlike some - in the Army Percy so do actually know what a 'slanging match' can be. My purpose of post was to release the good news, and hopefully not degenerate into a civilian standard of slanging match.

I think you might be in a time warp here Percy; "All I can add is any motto which states 'Better to die than be a Coward' is I'm afraid complete and utter nonsense from the ranks of winged back armchairs, handlebar moustaches and dinner tables where cruet sets are lined up as the glorious 600th...or whatever." Do you really think of winged back armchairs, handlebar moustaches etc? - don't know where you got that idea from; Biggles? as the Modern Army 'aint like that you know (but then perhaps you don't).

"I'd be disappointed now if either of my children had joined the military" - really Percy, surely whatever path your son followed you should not be 'disappointed' in him. My three sons were not the slightest bit interested in Military life during my own 15 years in the cake, until wife and I came up to live in Scotland; leaving all three settled in the south with accommodation and jobs; Architect, Electrician, HGV1 driver. (And I was not disappointed about that either)
But six months later all three joined up - your quote, as: 'Cannon Fodder' - I was not 'Disappointed', but rather proud that I had three sons who had enough about them - without any encouragement - to take the Queens Shilling, and a bonus for one of them to receive a Commendation for 'Distinguished Service in support of NATO Operations' in Kosovo, that was for humanitarian action Percy not as cannon fodder, I hasten to add.. And Middle son is off to Afghan in September, our thoughts will be with him.

"They might well be in front of your elderly relatives a place in any care queue.This sounds selfish and it is" yep
"Although I relaise I am probably firmly in the minority camp with the Gurkhas." yep

"Sentiment has no place in decisions of this nature.. swept up in a tide of emotion.. I'd have to judge the case on its merits for my safety and longevity would never be compromised for money, faux notions of national pride and militaristic longing. Only my families direct ongoing welfare could tempt me to take up arms for Politicians, much less H.M. Queen and the idea of her flipping country... does not mean we should rush to extend a welcome to these men who are undoubtedly a cut above the usual."

Oh well never mind - thankfully you are well in the minority.

My thanks to Golach for giving us this link; http://www.gurkhajustice.org.uk/ (http://www.gurkhajustice.org.uk/) just checked and there are 201,867 signatures. This morning it was being signed by someone every 8 seconds, and I for one am proud and satisfied that my own name is there..

Aayo Gurkhali !

percy toboggan
30-Apr-09, 12:33
Percy: "You do not need a slanging match - and I am dismayed by the way such a term is used in an attempt to supress any well constructed counter view. The other - prematurely 'closed' thread was far from a slanging match either. Some people wouldn't know a slanging match if it jumped up and shouted nasty words at them. " - I actually stayed - unlike some - in the Army Percy so do actually know what a 'slanging match' can be. My purpose of post was to release the good news, and hopefully not degenerate into a civilian standard of slanging match.

I think you might be in a time warp here Percy; "All I can add is any motto which states 'Better to die than be a Coward' is I'm afraid complete and utter nonsense from the ranks of winged back armchairs, handlebar moustaches and dinner tables where cruet sets are lined up as the glorious 600th...or whatever." Do you really think of winged back armchairs, handlebar moustaches etc? - don't know where you got that idea from; Biggles? as the Modern Army 'aint like that you know (but then perhaps you don't).

"I'd be disappointed now if either of my children had joined the military" - really Percy, surely whatever path your son followed you should not be 'disappointed' in him. My three sons were not the slightest bit interested in Military life during my own 15 years in the cake, until wife and I came up to live in Scotland; leaving all three settled in the south with accommodation and jobs; Architect, Electrician, HGV1 driver. (And I was not disappointed about that either)
But six months later all three joined up - your quote, as: 'Cannon Fodder' - I was not 'Disappointed', but rather proud that I had three sons who had enough about them - without any encouragement - to take the Queens Shilling, and a bonus for one of them to receive a Commendation for 'Distinguished Service in support of NATO Operations' in Kosovo, that was for humanitarian action Percy not as cannon fodder, I hasten to add.. And Middle son is off to Afghan in September, our thoughts will be with him.

"They might well be in front of your elderly relatives a place in any care queue.This sounds selfish and it is" yep
"Although I relaise I am probably firmly in the minority camp with the Gurkhas." yep

"Sentiment has no place in decisions of this nature.. swept up in a tide of emotion.. I'd have to judge the case on its merits for my safety and longevity would never be compromised for money, faux notions of national pride and militaristic longing. Only my families direct ongoing welfare could tempt me to take up arms for Politicians, much less H.M. Queen and the idea of her flipping country... does not mean we should rush to extend a welcome to these men who are undoubtedly a cut above the usual."

Oh well never mind - thankfully you are well in the minority.

My thanks to Golach for giving us this link; http://www.gurkhajustice.org.uk/ (http://www.gurkhajustice.org.uk/) just checked and there are 201,867 signatures. This morning it was being signed by someone every 8 seconds, and I for one am proud and satisfied that my own name is there..

Aayo Gurkhali !

Bekisman, like one or two other more recent arrivals on this board you take my comments far too seriously.
In the scheme of things neither of our opinions amount to a row of beans so please do not get so het up abou them.

As soon as I click off your posts you are forgotten, I'd urge you to do the same about me.

I follow my instincts, and you follow yours. Surely there is enough room between us for any rancour not to matter. Oh! and I bought a leather winged backed armchair recently for my time warp. Very comfy it is too.I'm working on the handlebar 'tasche.

MadPict
30-Apr-09, 19:29
Interesting to see who voted and which way.....

Link (http://www.publicwhip.org.uk/division.php?date=2009-04-29&number=104&display=allvotes)