PDA

View Full Version : Why faith is better than worrying...

alex
28-Apr-09, 20:54
My crates from Africa arrived today. Two of them had large holes in them but the contents were intact, except for an elephant who's lost his trunk and and rhino who's lost his leg (small malachite ornaments for those who think I'm fooling again).

I'd decided when I heard everything was lost that there was no point worrying, it was just memories, and that if they were meant to come with me they would. And they did and I'm grateful, probably after a far more exciting trip than me.

Sadly however, all my notes are intact so I have got to get on with my work now [lol] no more pootling round town pretending to be thinking...

ps: Thanks to Billy Ross for fielding the phone calls from customs (when the katundu finally arrived) and lending me his guys to bring the crates to my door.

Iffy
28-Apr-09, 21:07
Hey Alex,

WELCOME to Caithness - Sorry to hear about the damages !!!!!

But I really wish you all the very best for your future in Caithness XX :Razz

wifie
28-Apr-09, 21:18
Glad you got your stuff although some items were a bit damaged. Hope your stay in Caithness is a happy one! :)

alex
28-Apr-09, 21:29
Thank you, the tiny wee house I have, close to the beach seems too small for a party but (if anyone knows when the hot day is) the little lane behind seems ideal for a braii (sorry barbecue) if the neighbours prove congenial.

wifie
28-Apr-09, 21:34
LOL! Good luck catchin that day Alex! [lol]

cuddlepop
29-Apr-09, 08:38
Glad you arrived safely,its a pity some of your possessions were damaged but at least they arrived.

Hopefully you'll get a good day soon so you can have your "beach party" they're lots of fun and a great way to meet the neighbours...have you meet your seagulls yet.:lol:

Venture
29-Apr-09, 09:10
Alex a couple of tubes of super glue might restore the damaged ornaments. I think you and your belongings have done well considering it's only just over a month since you posted on here for the first time from the other side of the world looking for advice about moving to Thurso. I hope it's not been too much of a culture and weather shock for you and that you have happy and contented times ahead in your new home.:):)

Dadie
29-Apr-09, 10:18
Something always gets broken when you move...
Usually something you really like..
But how come that vase/jug/monstrosity that you got as a wedding/engagement/housewarming gift from your gran/mum/mother in law that you always hated but are to scared/guilty to throw away always survives no matter how badly wrapped :lol:

poppett
29-Apr-09, 12:26
Glad your stuff turned up at last.

I hope you enjoy your stay in Caithness and get the chance to visit round and about as well.

tootler
29-Apr-09, 14:35
Welcome to Caithness, Alex - enjoy your writing!:D

alex
29-Apr-09, 18:36
Alex a couple of tubes of super glue might restore the damaged ornaments. I think you and your belongings have done well considering it's only just over a month since you posted on here for the first time from the other side of the world looking for advice about moving to Thurso. I hope it's not been too much of a culture and weather shock for you and that you have happy and contented times ahead in your new home.

Thanks very much every one. Sadly the missing bits must have dropped through the holes as I can't find them - ah well. I'm grateful that anything got here at all to be honest.

It is hard to believe that only a month ago I was only "thinking of moving to Thurso" and here I am, already chatting over the fence to my neighbour and recognised by some of the shopkeepers as I walk in to get my bits and bobs.

The one thing that is tough, is opening the door after looking out on a bright sunny morning and feeling the bitter chill on the wind. But I'm even getting used to that and may be ready to get the haircut I so need soon [lol]

Other things I need to get used to. The barbecue may be delayed :(... my first conversation in the supermarket was with a man who was looking at a piece of beef fillet no bigger than my palm with a price tag of twenty three pounds! That's two weeks wages in Zambia :eek: where prime fillet sells for just over £2 a kilo (or about one pound a pound). We both couldn't believe it and had to verify the price several times before walking away shaking our heads. I hope the independent butchers are little more reasonable.

Carrying a nearly empty wallet and a pocket full of coins is also a little strange after nearly a decade of counting off thick wads of paper to pay for the most mundane of goods but it's good not to have to do long division in my head every time I reach a till.

Oh and if you see me wandering about looking a little confused I shan't be offended if you come up and say "Are you Alex?" It would be terrific to put a few faces to nicknames.

ciderally
29-Apr-09, 18:43
och... well done alex, and enjoy xx