PDA

View Full Version : Fainting Goats

weefee
02-Mar-06, 20:21
this is too good not to share
http://www.qarxis.com/Fainting_Goats (http://www.qarxis.com/Fainting_Goats)

for those of you who have not seen this already......brilliant, every home should have one for hours of entertainment!!!!

:lol:

krieve
02-Mar-06, 21:48
lol the umbrella bit is funny

Moira
02-Mar-06, 21:56
Sorry - didn't find this funny. I know the "falling down" is caused by a medical condition, which I hadn't heard of before, but I didn't enjoy watching the animals in distress :(

unicorn
02-Mar-06, 22:04
I agree Moira. Why on earth breed animals with known defects, that always makes me mad. If I bred rabbits like that and put video on here would it be so funny then?? I think not!!!

connieb19
02-Mar-06, 22:06
I have to agree with Moira and Unicorn...I cannot see anything funny about it at all!! :(

landmarker
02-Mar-06, 22:13
I didn't see much to laugh at either. Sorry.

teddybear1873
02-Mar-06, 22:16
am i supposed to laugh at this

teritoots
02-Mar-06, 22:19
Yep have to agree with you guys wasni laughing! Quite weird though but I'd imagine they really wouldni survive in wild cause if anything went to chase them they'd keel over therefore they would be easy targets so by natural selection they should of been extinct surely?
Felt quite sorry for them really but they don't seem too bothered and just get back up...

parkie
02-Mar-06, 22:23
pretty sad if you like watching this:confused:

golach
02-Mar-06, 22:29
I agree very sad, sorry I watched it now:(

carasmam
02-Mar-06, 23:08
[disgust] yep all of the above

webmannie
02-Mar-06, 23:13
Must be something wrong with me, i found it funny! Oh dear, how sad, never mind.

It happens in humans too, google Myotonia.

phoenix
02-Mar-06, 23:22
Not funny.........can't stand when humans act in a manner as if they're above animals.........seems as if the animals here are the humans! [disgust]

angela5
02-Mar-06, 23:31
Glad i read through the posts first before clicking on the link..I cannot stand seeing animals in distress or find anything funny about it:cry:

ice box
02-Mar-06, 23:45
i dont like seeing animals being hurt neither but u have to admit there is a funny side to it the animal have a gentic disorder . but it dose'nt hurt them .

unicorn
02-Mar-06, 23:50
But they are being deliberately bred with a genetic disorder for no good reason and I completely disagree with that, what good does it do them to be that way? What good is it to the breeder to breed them that way? I can only imagine they are doing it for their own amusement as I can see no benefit from it at all ! When you breed an animal you should be striving to improve the breed not weaken it...

angela5
02-Mar-06, 23:52
But they are being deliberately bred with a genetic disorder for no good reason and I completely disagree with that,
When you breed an animal you should be striving to improve the breed not weaken it...

Totally agree unicorn..

webmannie
03-Mar-06, 00:28
Wait a minute, this all begs the question, should we the human race breed if there is the chance of inherited Myotonia Congenita?

If you watch the clip, it is plainly obvious that the news editor has made use of the same incidents more than once (edited cleverly). This is not a whole breed with the condition, it is a handful amongst many thousands. Otherwise numerous different myotonic episodes would be shown. They are just recognised as a breed that has the condition, pot luck if it shows up in their genes, same as humans.

I was once at a farm, where my young cousin was asked to hold the young billy goats tail, my Great Uncle 'docked' it with a rusty knife and left her with the tail in her hand. Now that's what I call cruel, don't you think?

Happens to young goats at farms all over, ever seen one with a long sharn covered tail?

2little2late
03-Mar-06, 00:49
Not funny at all. Not my kind of amusement.

spiggie
03-Mar-06, 01:09
nop sorry guys didnt find this vid clip amusing at all, felt more sorry for the poor things more than anything else!!!

weefee
03-Mar-06, 15:32
sorry i didn't realise this would cause so much offence, there is no harm to these goats, see below from a goat breeder (these goats are bred for meat incidently not for the craic of seeing them fall over)

Myotonia congenita is the medical term to describe stiffening; this simply means that the condition is inherited from prior generations. Myotonia was probably originally the result of a genetic mutation as the evolutionary process took place. However, myotonia is no longer considered a defect. Myotonia occurs in the muscle fiber... not as a function of the central nervous system.... and causes no problem for the goats. http://www.qarxis.com/misc/smileys/wink.png
Stiffening and sometimes falling over results when the rear legs and the back of the neck are affected by myotonia. Respiration, heart function, and other body functions are NOT affected. It is common to view goats shoving each other at the feed trough, stiffening, falling over, and continuing to eat as the body recovers from the myotonic episode! It does not hurt them in any way whatsoever. http://www.qarxis.com/misc/smileys/wink.png

I thought these wee guys were lovely and had never heard of them before, i thought the clip was along the lines of you've been framed, where peoples and animals unfortunate incidents are deemed funny....i don't condone cruelty to animals or humans. Sorry again for any offence.....but i still found it amusing!

Ann
03-Mar-06, 16:09
Weefee, thanks for your explanation and apology. I think it was the idea that they were deliberately being chased or frightened to induce the reaction which upset many people, my self included. I would hate to think that they were terrified while being unable to move.
Ann

Abdullah
03-Mar-06, 16:12
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~jimknapp/goats.html (http://www-personal.umich.edu/%7Ejimknapp/goats.html)

lasher
03-Mar-06, 18:56
Brilliant thought that was hilarious. :o

landmarker
03-Mar-06, 18:58
sorry i didn't realise this would cause so much offence,

For my part I wasn't offended at all, just not amused.