PDA

View Full Version : Wick Saturday Market - Support it or Lose it?

secretsquirrel
27-Apr-09, 20:40
Their is a lovely Saturday Market held in the square in Wick. It is a dissapointment to me that more people from Caithness do not support it.

All the traders their are locals who start at 9 o'clock in the moring (but set up earlier than that) till 4 o'clock in the afternoon, in all weathers. What a hardy lot.

Their are people their selling:

A gentelman who sells locally grown potatoes and vegtables (cheaper than you can buy in supermarkets and better quality).
A lady with local free range eggs - which are really tasty, I can vouch for that.
A lady with locally produced Jams etc - much better than the mass produced shop bought.
A couple with sweets, for those with a sweet tooth, is pick and mix back?
With pocket money priced item and novelty items etc- ideal for presents, work collegues and friends as well - and of course yourself.
A lady selling affordable Fashion jewellery and nail accessories - again cheaper than the supermarkets and I would say personally a lot more attractive.
A gentleman with home grown plants - suitable for Caithness Weather - unlike the supermarket ones.
A lady with photographs of Caithness.
And other various sellers throught the year.

What happened to the lovely cake seller who used to be their?????

Remember when you visit the Market do not walk by on the opposite side of the street but browse the Market before it becomes a thing of the past like so many others.

ShelleyCowie
27-Apr-09, 21:09
I would love a market like this in Thurso. I have no transport to wick so can not go to the one there and i am rarely in wick.

If they had one in Thurso i would definetely support it. Agree with you 100% about the potatoes, eggs and other caithness produce.

secretsquirrel
27-Apr-09, 21:15
I agree with you there should be a market in Thurso as well.

Is there anywhere it could be held in Thurso?

What about it being held on a Friday or Sunday Afternoon in Thurso? so as not to compete with Wick's.

How about some of the local farmers getting involved?

How about people using it as a "car boot" venue as well?

ShelleyCowie
27-Apr-09, 21:22
I agree with you there should be a market in Thurso as well.

Is there anywhere it could be held in Thurso?

What about it being held on a Friday or Sunday Afternoon in Thurso? so as not to compete with Wick's.

How about some of the local farmers getting involved?

How about people using it as a "car boot" venue as well?

Im sure it can be done indoors at the legion or somewhere. And there has been markets held in the precinct or they have closed the small car park infront of the 99p shop.

As long as there are eggs and potatoes and things on sale i would buy it! Store bought dont taste the same in bacon and egg rolls, potatoes are far better from farmers too!

Im sure there are many ideas that can be brought to the table. As you said a "car boot" sale aswell. Im sure there are people in thurso that would hire a table to get rid of some bric a brac! I know i would! :Razz

JimH
27-Apr-09, 23:31
During the three years I spent in Caithness, I visited the "market" 4 times.
each time I found it to be drab stalls selling drab products.
I and some native friends thought we may be able to liven it up a bit but were very quickly told not to bother as it was not open to competition.
I believe the "market" will eventually get what it deserves. Caithness people are not fools.

secretsquirrel
27-Apr-09, 23:44
Has JimH actually visited the market recently???

It is easy for someone from Norfolk to run down a small rural market, after all Caithness doesnot have the population of Norfolk Area, or the money.

Why did he want to "compete" against it, that is not the purpose of a market???????

Caithness has lost too much due to people like this not being prepared to support "local" people.

Metalattakk
27-Apr-09, 23:48
Has JimH actually visited the market recently???

It is easy for someone from Norfolk to run down a small rural market, after all Caithness doesnot have the population of Norfolk Area, or the money.

Why did he want to "compete" against it, that is not the purpose of a market???????

Caithness has lost too much due to people like this not being prepared to support "local" people.

Reactionary, ill-informed hogwash.

Read the post properly, understand it, then respond. It's not rocket science.

davlaurjen
27-Apr-09, 23:56
There some diametrically opposed opinions in this thread.Where lies the truth?

Kodiak
27-Apr-09, 23:56
I have visited the Market in Wick several times. Each time I come away saying "Well I wont be going back there again". This has been mainly to the cold reception from the Stall Holders and the High Prices.

So secretsquirrel I completely disagree with you when you state, and I quote you :-

(cheaper than you can buy in supermarkets and better quality).

I have never seen anything cheaper and better Quality at the Market and as far as I am concerned they offer me no real incentive to buy from them.

Metalattakk
27-Apr-09, 23:59
I have never seen anything cheaper and better Quality at the Market and as far as I am concerned they offer me no real incentive to buy from them.

And therein lies the truth. Provide a viable service and it will be used.

starry
28-Apr-09, 00:07
I think Jim was trying to support it :confused

sjr014
28-Apr-09, 13:09
Bring back the cake lady! Her Malteser slice was yummy and very reasonably priced and you got a huge slice! Have had the turnips n tatties they were fine!

Anji
28-Apr-09, 16:15
I have visited the Market in Wick several times. Each time I come away saying "Well I wont be going back there again". This has been mainly to the cold reception from the Stall Holders and the High Prices.

So secretsquirrel I completely disagree with you when you state, and I quote you :-

(cheaper than you can buy in supermarkets and better quality).

I've always found the stall holders friendly, and at £1.20 for half a dozen fresh eggs and 40p for a turnip, I can't see why anyone would complain about the prices.
The turnip isn't wrapped in cellophane, either.

Stack Rock
28-Apr-09, 18:52
I've always found the stall holders friendly, and at £1.20 for half a dozen fresh eggs and 40p for a turnip, I can't see why anyone would complain about the prices.
The turnip isn't wrapped in cellophane, either.

I'll second this - in fact I'm sure the free range large eggs are £1.10 per 1/2 doz.

Fran
29-Apr-09, 02:39
There doesnt seem to be so many stalls, last week i think there was just three. How about car booters, why dont they have a stall. The council were thinking of using woolworths in wick for market stalls. Charities could have stalls on a saturday. Maybe as the weather improves we will have more stalls, hope so.

JimH
30-Apr-09, 10:23
There doesnt seem to be so many stalls, last week i think there was just three. How about car booters, why dont they have a stall. The council were thinking of using woolworths in wick for market stalls. Charities could have stalls on a saturday. Maybe as the weather improves we will have more stalls, hope so.
That sounds about par for the course. I had never seen more than 3 or 4 that's why we thought we would have a go.

Geo
30-Apr-09, 12:35
Their is a lovely Saturday Market held in the square in Wick. It is a dissapointment to me that more people from Caithness do not support it.

Is it actually at risk? I heard there are plans to expand it and move it indoors, although I like it outside when the weather's good!

I have used it but unlike you I found I could get what I wanted cheaper elsewhere, eggs for example from roadside suppliers. That may have changed though as I haven't checked the market for a while. Worse though I tend to simply forget it's there and when I remember I will already have done the shopping. I must try harder!

teenybash
30-Apr-09, 15:43
I use the Saturday market when I can and love the potatoes...slightly dearer than the supermarket but definately better taste. At this time of year I buy plants and so far found them hardy and able to grow in the Caithness climate. Just wish there were more stalls with a wider choice of goods. Would be nice to see it moved inside both for stallholders and shoppers.:D

butterfly
30-Apr-09, 19:23
I get my eggs and veg there and they are a lot cheaper and fresher than the supermarkets.Bought there bedding plants last year and they also were good value for money too.

lister
30-Apr-09, 19:43
I get my eggs and veg there and they are a lot cheaper and fresher than the supermarkets.Bought there bedding plants last year and they also were good value for money too.
Me to butterfly the eggs are the best and the lady who sells them,Liz,is very nice and welcoming.

Tighsonas4
01-May-09, 13:01
has been proved good if you want fresh produce and there bedding and other plants have acclimatised to our weather tony