PDA

View Full Version : Meaning of Life?

highlander
27-Apr-09, 15:51
Now and again i get this silly questions that pop in my head, like what is the meaning of life, why are we here? Is our aim in life to achieve our best at all times, are we here to leave our mark to the future of mankind. Not all of us have the intelligence to be an inventor etc etc, so does that mean i have failed. Do you think our lives are mapped out for us or that we have not worked hard enough to achieve success. Now i ask myself what am i trying to succede, i have a wonderful family that i care for and they care for me but its the bit at the start (birth) and end (death) why are we here? If you can make sence of what i am trying to explain then well done lol what are your thoughts on this?

Connor.
27-Apr-09, 16:01
There is no meaning to life, we are just here. We just think that there might be a meaning to life to ironically "give our life meaning". Our lives are what we make of it. Truth is, whatever we do is irrelevant.

bekisman
27-Apr-09, 16:15
I think it's 42

Invisible
27-Apr-09, 16:28
to reproduce

ShelleyCowie
27-Apr-09, 16:34
I think it's 42

No u never thought that! Thats from the computer in Hitch-hikers guide to the galaxy! ;)

Iffy
Well, I'm a Christian, and was brought up by the Christain faith and stand by it resolutley - no matter what ANYONE tells me different !!!!

So I guess MY beliefs on "Why we're here" is fairly obvious - BUT having said that - I DO NOT WANT TO GET INTO A DEBATE ABOUT RELIGION.... PLEASE !!!!!!!!!...:eek::eek:

The bottom line in life..... is to always do your best, treat people/animals around you with care and love (as much as possible) and never expect anything within your life unless you have made the effort to put something in yourself (ie - education )

Don't worry how others see you - be TRUE to yourself - (some people just always need others to talk about !!)

And basically be as kind as you can be..... you NEVER know when you, or yours MAY need that consideration returned ;)

Saveman
Ecclesiastes 12:13

joxville
27-Apr-09, 16:42
Life is like toilet paper..........;)

emszxr
27-Apr-09, 16:43
to pay taxes

Bobinovich
27-Apr-09, 17:49
IMO there is no real meaning to life. we are born, we live, then we die and that's that - if you procreate somewhere along the line to assist the species on it's way then all well & good, but the species will survive regardless (if WW3 doesn't end it all :D)!

To me it's how you choose to live your life which makes it all worth while. Embrace life, work to live not live to work, make each moment count and have fun as often as possible, and you should have a fulfilling life.

But at the end of the day the inevitable is that we all die and we can't take anything with us, so just enjoy it while you can.

tootler
27-Apr-09, 18:16
Highlander, we're only here to have fun! :lol:

(Don't miss your chance while you're worrying...)

Mystical Potato Head
27-Apr-09, 18:21
Meaning of Life...........good film and followed by The Life of Brian makes for a very entertaining evening.

Each
27-Apr-09, 18:58
Its a struggle to out of bed in the morning as it is...
... if there wasn't a reason to get out of bed in the first place.

Reason for gettingout of bed include...

having fun.
marvelling at the beauty of universe.
sharing your experience with someone else.
Work is only a means to fund the other activities.
Without them why would you bother getting out of bed.

Of course we dont live on our own, in isolation, and our actions impact on others around us, so even if you see no value in your own life, thats no reason to have a negative impact on the lives of those around you and you would still have a responsibility to live ethically according to a common set of shared principles.

As individuals our lives may well be short and meaningless, but as a community stretching through the ages we can occassionaly achieve something satisfying / marvelous / terrfifying / inspiring....

The pyramids
The great wall of china
The national health service
The internet
The electric guitar
From the smallest contribution from the of an individual to the great feats of man, there are plenty stories and craic to be had along the way. Stories of struggle small acheivements and heroic failures (Argentina 1978 ?).

The beauty is, we leave all our mistakes behind us when we die.

Tighsonas4
27-Apr-09, 19:17
if i can help somebody as i journey on then my living will not be in vain tony

Kenn
27-Apr-09, 19:35
Life has no meaning, it's what we do with it that's important.
It matters not what a person achieves in the material world but what they achieve on a personal level.
Sharing a smile, having time to make and be a friend,being true to one's self and those around one, dealing with challenges to the best of one's ability,supporting others in times of need and expecting little.
We are here for but a short time and leave little behind appart from how others perceive us in memory.

Anne x
27-Apr-09, 23:17
IMOP life is what you make it
You can be anything you want to be really trudged down by every day events be it Illness Bereavement Pain or whatever but can be uplifted by friends or people you have never actually met and just talked to in cyberspace althought having said that we sometimes know more about them than everyday people and trust them implicitly
We all in some way hide behind barriers because we are lonely Sad or in Pain
Again life is up to the individual grasp it by both hands or waste it we certainly only ever get one shot at it thats for sure

Meaning of Life call me back on that one

davlaurjen
28-Apr-09, 00:10
I think it's 42
From the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy,if I am not mistaken.[lol]

scorrie
28-Apr-09, 00:15
Ecclesiastes 12:13

Who were they playing?

Oh right, it's a Dental Appointment ;)

Matthew
28-Apr-09, 00:47
I think the meaning of life is to live, learn, reproduce and evolve.

Rheghead
28-Apr-09, 00:52
Well, I'm a Christian, and was brought up by the Christain faith and stand by it resolutley -no matter what ANYONE tells me different !!!!

That's what I like to see, a closed mind.:D

At least you're honest about it without resorting to a load of pseudo-science rubbish to muddy the waters or push your agenda...

ShelleyCowie
28-Apr-09, 10:44
No u never thought that! Thats from the computer in Hitch-hikers guide to the galaxy! ;)

From the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy,if I am not mistaken.[lol]

Already caught him out! Good to see fans of the galaxy tho! Hope u have your towel! :lol:

bekisman
28-Apr-09, 11:46
You are both correct - wonder if that makes us old?:lol:

squidge
28-Apr-09, 11:53
To love and be loved in return. Thats all thats left when we are gone so it must be the reason we are here.

The Angel Of Death
28-Apr-09, 11:59
I think the meaning of life is to live, learn, reproduce and evolve.

So 2 out of 4 no problems then :D

The learn and evolve part ain't going to happen anytime soon as a species we are flawed and have always been greed power corruption anyone ?

Cedric Farthsbottom III
28-Apr-09, 13:26
The meaning of life?Life is like a large colouring in book.Start at the first page and use as many bright colours as you can before you get to the last page.
Every colouring in book is different,mine is only a third of the way through,now where did I put those felt tips and crayons.:lol::lol:

joxville
28-Apr-09, 14:52
You're all wrong!!

Life is like toilet paper..........;)

....you're either on a roll or taking crap.[lol]

lister
28-Apr-09, 16:04
I dont think anyones wrong or right or there is a meaning to life,it just is,why worry about it we're never going to know.
I think joxville has a point though,simplify,the world is far to comlicated to understand and people are the same if you can be happy with yer lot then ah ha you've cracked it!

Each
28-Apr-09, 17:42
If we were happy with our lot we would still be huddling together for warmth in some dark god forsaken cave, grunting and trying to mate with as many of the opposite sex as possible while wild animals circled around outside at night waiting to pick us off one by one....

..wait a minute, that sounds like skinandis - oh no things havent changed at all , were al deluding ourselves !

ett23
28-Apr-09, 18:18
"The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments. For this is the whole obligation of man."- Ecclesiasties 12:13

So there you have it! :D

butterfly
28-Apr-09, 18:46
"The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments. For this is the whole obligation of man."- Ecclesiasties 12:13

And dont believe everything you read.............

lister
28-Apr-09, 19:00

Everything having been heard???
Not everythings been said yet!!
If you want to conclude then the late great Dave Allen aptly said "Goodnight and may your god go with you",an he was a catholic who always saw the funny side of life and religion.

check out Dave allen on you tube / religion .
Its a scream :lol:

Mrs Bucket
28-Apr-09, 19:01
Of course there is more than this. There is a great adventure waiting for us all. Or ................maybe not. But I believe there is :lol:

joxville
28-Apr-09, 19:02
Everything having been heard???
Not everythings been said yet!!

That's true-you've not heard the last of me yet. [lol]

Gene Hunt
28-Apr-09, 19:12
I have always thought that there is no such tangible thing and no answer can be wrong. Its unique to everyone like our fingerprints because every life is different according to our hopes, dreams and values.

For me its my children because they will be here after I am gone (hopefully) so therefore my life had some meaning in the long run. What life means to me is doing my best, enjoying my family and career, being no ones fool and savouring the contentment I feel right now.

Right that's my philosophical moment for the year over, sarcasm and flippancy will resume again shortly.

tommytool
29-Apr-09, 01:10
the meaning of life.. pretty heavy stuff

i think long ago before we had reason or the ability to think rationality or understand and draw conclusions in an abstract way, (as in human thinking) before we were able to use our minds for intellectual thought there could not have been meaning.

if these thought processes give humans reasons to live feed breed and thrive, then i believe its evolution dear watson.

Fran
29-Apr-09, 01:51
There is no meaning to life itself. you can however give life meaning through your actions and make the world a better place for yourself and your family.
Love gives meaning to our lives as does friendship. Age can change the way we feel about our lives. each age has its own experience and ways of living and feeling life.
Youth involves an intensity of positive feelings that aged people dont have. Maturity and old age involve new experiences, truths and reflections and a deeper meditation about the meaning of our lives.
Life is what we make of it, and in my case, certainly didnt work out as i had expected or had hoped for, probably the same with everyone. You can work hard at making life good for you and your children, have happiness and love and friendship, everything, and then suddenly its all gone and you wonder why.

Life is half spent before we know what it is. Life is very short so we must try to make the most of it.

Aaldtimer
29-Apr-09, 03:27
Kahlil Gibran:-

Life

The death of each of us is in the order of things:
it follows life as surely as night follows day.
We can take The Tree of Life as a symbol.
The human race is the trunk and branches of this tree,
and individual men and women are the leaves,
which appear one season, flourish for a summer, and then die.

I too am a leaf of this tree and one day I shall be torn off by a storm,
or simply decay and fall - and become part of the earth about its roots.

But, while I live, I am conscious of the tree's flowing sap and steadfast strength.
Deep down in my consciousness is the consciousness of a collective life,
a life of which I am a part,
and to which I make a minute - but unique - contribution.

When I die and fall the tree remains,
nourished to some small degree by my manifestation of life.
Millions of leaves have preceded me and millions will follow me:
but the tree itself grows and endures.

:D

Lingland
29-Apr-09, 10:47
That is food for thought audtimer

ShelleyCowie
29-Apr-09, 10:50
My meaning of life is to live happy. Raise my family. And life my life to the full! :Razz

The meaning to me is to see my family grow happy. Thats all that matters to me anyways! :D

The Pepsi Challenge
30-Apr-09, 16:16

At least you're honest about it without resorting to a load of pseudo-science rubbish to muddy the waters or push your agenda...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/E9tN-YbA3Vo&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/E9tN-YbA3Vo&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

The Pepsi Challenge
30-Apr-09, 16:17

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9tN-YbA3Vo&feature=player_embedded

majic
30-Apr-09, 22:51
to spend spend spend

Invisible
30-Apr-09, 23:40
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
Get wasted all the time
and have the time of your life

Ricco
01-May-09, 21:18
I think it's 42

Is it?? I thought it was 24 - never was much good at math.;)

gleeber
01-May-09, 21:22
I dunno if there's any meaning to life but one things for sure. Theres plenty people looking for meaning. :eek:

Rheghead
02-May-09, 01:23
I dunno if there's any meaning to life but one things for sure. Theres plenty people looking for meaning. :eek:

I quite agree. To ask for a meaning to life in the first place presupposes that there is one anyway.

bekisman
02-May-09, 09:37
Didn't think about folks outside the UK who might not have watched 'hitchhikers guide'.. ;)
so a bit more for our overseas posters: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Notable_phrases_from_The_Hitchhiker's_Guide_to_the _Galaxy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Notable_phrases_from_The_Hitchhiker's_Guide_to_the _Galaxy)

lister
02-May-09, 10:39
[quote=bekisman;542843]Didn't think about folks outside the UK who might not have watched 'hitchhikers guide'.. ;)
so a bit more for our overseas posters: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Notable_phrases_from

Loved the film and to think its only a small fraction of the book.
I cannae help but laugh at the planet where they land and get a dam good slapping,doesn'a get any funnier:lol: