PDA

View Full Version : How did they get it so wrong?

badger
02-Mar-06, 14:48
The new Welsh Assembly building was finished on time, on budget and appears to look fantastic. The Scottish Parliament building was late, 10 times over budget, is in the opinion of many hideous - and now it's falling down! [mad]

Rheghead
02-Mar-06, 14:58
"Independence in haste, leaves a bad taste."

The parliament building looks like a scrumpled bit of office paper from above, rather poignant me thinks...

Back to the drawing board! :)

Whitewater
02-Mar-06, 15:10
Makes you wonder where it all went wrong. Can only hope the loose beam is ornamental rather then structural.

scotsboy
02-Mar-06, 17:19
It is also worth comparing the Millenium Stadium in Cardiff with Hampden Park, looks like they know how to build and manage a project which produces a quality product in Wales.

JAWS
02-Mar-06, 22:24
Makes you wonder where it all went wrong. Can only hope the loose beam is ornamental rather then structural.
I got the impression from the way it was being described that it is one of the beams holding the roof up and weighs several hundred-weights.
Now they are having to check if it's a one-off or if any of the others are likely to do the same.

The Welsh Assembly Building cost six times less than Shoddyrood, doesn't require air-conditioning and uses collected rainwater to clean the windows.

Whitewater, a suggested answer to your question as to where it all went wrong.
Once the decision to have a Scottish Parliament had been made the then Scottish Secretary in Westminster (I wonder who that was) decided that it was necessary to rush through the design and contracts for Shoddyrood.
One reason for this was the fact that any delay meant that other interested parties might have different ideas to his as to where it should be and he might not get his own way.
A second reason, and possibly the more important, was that there might be a decision to have the Parliament at Calton Hill and that was something to be avoided at all costs for political reasons.

The excuse that if it were left to the democratically elected MSPs would mean that it would never get built is proved to be rubbish by the fact that the Welsh left the decision to their Assembly and now have a far better looking building at a fraction of the cost.

It's surprising what a little patience, care and attention to detail can produce.

Kenn
04-Mar-06, 01:50
Well this building was described as a carbuncle on the city of Edinburgh.Maybe it's the ghosts of Edinburgh past that have blighted it.Being a cynical person , perhaps it is a judgement on the politicians who currently sit in the chamber.
I have always appreciated the classic beauty of the Scots capital city but I have severe reservations about this building and think that maybe the populace of the country have been severely ripped off as regards to the cost.

JAWS
04-Mar-06, 15:10
It's the same problem Scotland has suffered throughout it's history, a loyal, sane, sensible, hard-working people led by chancers on the make.

weeboyagee
04-Mar-06, 15:23
It's the same problem Scotland has suffered throughout it's history, a loyal, sane, sensible, hard-working people led by chancers on the make.
Well said Jaws.......as a reference in a film once said (although not a direct quote), Scotland does not exist that they might serve the Parliament, our MSP's exist that they might serve Scotland. And without meaning to be sick about it, if the beams fell on their heads it might knock some sense into them.

The laws they pass may be debatable in terms of their general benefit for Scotland but one things is for sure - they could have been just as effective doing the job they are supposed to be doing supposing they held conference in a bunch of tin shacks - except the shacks would have been a dashed sight cheaper than the monstrous disaster of a design cock-up as represented by the technical drawings and final timber, tin and tattered looking junk house that we ended up with. Sheeesh.....:eyes

brandy
04-Mar-06, 16:41
is it just me.. or does any one else think its just plain ugly?

badger
04-Mar-06, 17:46
is it just me.. or does any one else think its just plain ugly?

Think most of us agree on that. Having watched the tv programme about how it was built I'm amazed it ever got off the ground and not really surprised it's now falling down. Too many people fighting each other and a committee of MSPs who had probably never overseen a construction in their lives. One of the things I always find odd about governments is that they don't actually know how to the job. Ministers get switched around and you think - what do they know about their latest responsibility? Answer - very little. Why don't government computer systems work? Because no-one in charge will admit they don't know anything about it or will employ someone who does. Same with this sad building. Wonder how the Welsh do it?