PDA

View Full Version : More effort from out of town locals

jock leith
26-Apr-09, 00:00
I have been to a couple of School Reunions over the years and a lot of people attend from Overseas and other places throughout the UK
??Why do locals do not bother to attend such functions in greater numbers.
Living away from Wick for many years I still enjoy catching up with old school mates and having a pint,although we have not seen each other for many years we still are at ease in each others company and have a good time .Do others have good mates that they may only see every few years,but have still a strong bond with.
JL

Fluff
26-Apr-09, 00:02
Maybe they don't bother because they still see the people who still live in the area alot? Hard to say I suppose.

jock leith
26-Apr-09, 00:16
Maybe they don't bother because they still see the people who still live in the area alot? Hard to say I suppose.

People have given me that excuse before,and then in the next breath say I would have attended if I knew you were there.People can check to see who have shown interest,the out of towners usually book first because they have to book flights/transport etc.
JL

Metalattakk
26-Apr-09, 00:25
I have been to a couple of School Reunions over the years and a lot of people attend from Overseas and other places throughout the UK
??Why do locals do not bother to attend such functions in greater numbers.
Living away from Wick for many years I still enjoy catching up with old school mates and having a pint,although we have not seen each other for many years we still are at ease in each others company and have a good time .Do others have good mates that they may only see every few years,but have still a strong bond with.
JL
The whole concept of the School Reunion is based around either (or both) of two things:

1.) One-upmanship: Are you doing better now than those who used to get better grades than you?

2.) Nosiness: I wonder what that old flame looks like now? I bet she's a fat bloater after all those kids.

Let's face it, if any of these people were 'good mates' you'd have kept in touch with them regardless, and wouldn't need a school reunion to reacquaint yourself.

Kenn
26-Apr-09, 00:29
Quite agree..although I did manage to get back in touch with a favourite cousin via my old school website.

Bobinovich
26-Apr-09, 00:34
...Do others have good mates that they may only see every few years,but have still a strong bond with.

Absolutely - although I'm lucky in that a few of my best mates did move away and have since moved back, there are others who are either down south or overseas, however whenever we've got together it's instantly back into the same old easy banter. Going to see one & his OH in June & really looking forward to it :D

The whole concept of the School Reunion is based around either (or both) of two things:

1.) One-upmanship: Are you doing better now than those who used to get better grades than you?

2.) Nosiness: I wonder what that old flame looks like now? I bet she's a fat bloater after all those kids.

Let's face it, if any of these people were 'good mates' you'd have kept in touch with them regardless, and wouldn't need a school reunion to reacquaint yourself.

Have to agree here - having helped at a few (DJ'ing) they do tend to be organised by those who might consider themselves to have done well in life.

golach
26-Apr-09, 00:35

Sadly I agree with you Metalattack, to be honest, if my school had a reunion and even paid for me to attend, I do not think I would attend, I have very little fond memories of my final years at school, I do still keep in slight contact with my "best mates" but only slightly. I have moved on from school, to a further life.
I attended the celebration of the closure the former HQ of the Customs in Scotland recently, and I have to agree of the 150 invited guests, it was nice to meet a few of them, but the majority were, like your statement 1.)

butterfly
26-Apr-09, 01:06

Have to agree with that.

Bazeye
26-Apr-09, 14:25
Just turn up wearing a disguise and a different name on your badge.

Rheghead
26-Apr-09, 23:28

I agree that there will be folk who do think that way, that is obvious by your post. However, there will be a large percentage who are genuinely interested in people who they have lost contact with and are not on a one upmanship trip.

It is rather ironic that there could be a whole rake of women who would happily trade in those better grades just to be fat after having a load of kids.:lol: Happiness or success does not come from how well academically you achieve or how you look, but I do appreciate there are a lot of folk that judge it that way.

Kodiak
27-Apr-09, 11:31
I went to School in Dundee about.......Well lets just say a Very long time ago.

School to me was the Very Worst time in my Life and Nothing and I mean NOTHING, in this world could make me even slightly interested in going to a School Reunion.

When I left School I just walked away and left it behind.

anneoctober
27-Apr-09, 11:41
I'm afraid I have to agree also. I've kept ONE very close and good friend from Primary school days. If the rest were as good a friend to me, then they'd be in my "inner circle" too !!:D

webmannie
27-Apr-09, 19:08
A good friend of mine once went to his wifes school re-union, he was getting bored as he knew no-one and decided to have some fun. Seeing some ladies name tags left unclaimed he picked one up and went around telling everybody that 'Josephine' had a sex change since the last re-union and he was now to be known as 'Joseph'.