PDA

View Full Version : Is the law geared towards the criminal.

maverick
25-Apr-09, 21:16
I was reading a story the other day about a gent who had a vehicle inspection pit in his work place, when an insurance assessor told him because he has no cover over hit pit then he will have to leave the lights on at night until he gets a cover, the reason being in case someone broke in and hurt themselves in the process, the company could be sued for damages. If a burglar breaks into your home and your dog attacks him/her then they can sue for damages and request that the dog be destroyed, and if you disfigure an attacker in your home they can apparently sue you for damages. Are there any laws left to protect the victims???????

joxville
25-Apr-09, 21:20
Also, if you have a safe in your home you must leave it unlocked in case the criminal gets hurt trying to force his/her way into it.

tiggertoo
25-Apr-09, 21:56
is being a criminal not an occupation so has to be covered by health and safety regulations:lol: soft modly codly britain,makes you proud eh.

rockchick
25-Apr-09, 22:47
I thought that the law with respect to your own home towards trespassers (i.e. criminals) is limited to you setting no traps. That is, anyone breaking into your home does so at their own risk, but if you set up something designed to hinder burglars (i.e. dig a pit for them to fall into, or place broken glass on top of a fence) then you were liable.

But perhaps that's just on the other side of the pond...far too sensible for Grand Old Britain!

Angel
25-Apr-09, 23:11
Please leave directions to all valubles clearly visible in all languages...
Please remove all locks...
Please sign all blank cheques...
Please remove all communication devices...
Please keep all motorised transport fully fueled with keys in ignition...
Please switch off any surveillance equipment...
Please leave all passports, credit cards and cash clearly visible...

I am sure we can do more to help the crims... any ideas?

Angel

Kodiak
25-Apr-09, 23:53
Nice story but this is an old old story that went around back in the 1980's and is was proved then to be just a wind up. So all I can say do not believe everything you read. :D

joxville
26-Apr-09, 00:10
Nice story but this is an old old story that went around back in the 1980's and is was proved then to be just a wind up. So all I can say do not believe everything you read. :D

Especially my post above....I made it up. [lol]

spurtle
26-Apr-09, 00:15
This sort of thing is not always made up. I have a friend who's husband caught a burglar in the house and punched him , then got taken to court for assault

poppett
26-Apr-09, 00:19
In 1986 a burglar broke a window in the living room and reached in to steal the tv. My dog restrained him by the arm. I called the dog off and the burglar ran off, but he had been witnessed by two neighbours. We all made statements to the police and the burglar was arrested. The next day the police interviewed me regarding my "dangerous dog" as the burglar wanted him put down.

Case didn`t get to court but it was very scarey at the time.

Not such an urban myth after all.

Aaldtimer
26-Apr-09, 03:38
Especially my post above....I made it up. [lol]

Nawwwwwww?:roll:

percy toboggan
26-Apr-09, 10:11
If this is true, and not just another urban myth then it's anothr sorry signpost of the madness which is permeating this sorry country.

I actually doubt that garages up and down the nation are leaving inspection pit lamps on to protect the unwary burglar.

Alice in Blunderland
26-Apr-09, 10:22
I actually doubt that garages up and down the nation are leaving inspection pit lamps on to protect the unwary burglar.

More than likely its to let the burglar or anyone else think that they are working late so move on as there are people in the premises.

Bazeye
26-Apr-09, 14:21
My friends brother is a lawyer and told him this. I you hear an intruder,the best weapon to arm yourself is one of those huge mag lite torches. If you use anything else like a baseball bat or a knife it will be deemed pre meditated and could drop you right in it. If you hit them with the mag lite youve got less chance of being convicted for assault as you can say you were investigating a strange noise and when confronted, just panicked and lashed out. So get rid of that baseball bat under the bed now.

Gene Hunt
26-Apr-09, 15:46
We need more Judges like Judge Dudley Bennett .. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1171385/Facebook-salutes-tough-talking-judge-told-headbutted-burglar-serves-right.html

Now that's the spirit we need.