PDA

View Full Version : car boot sales

mrjolly
25-Apr-09, 19:17
i often attend car booties and enjoy them, i do not agree with the practice of letting fokes in to the venue to buy or to reserve items before the start time. the last one i was at was advertised for 13.30 and yet people were buying at 13.00 some fokes were still setting up their tables it was a shambles
may i take this oportunity in making this suggestion.why not charge people who want in to the sale early to buy or reserve .pay a fee of a table. around the £6.00 mark. this would give us all a fair chance.

Fran
26-Apr-09, 17:27
I agree. I went to a car boot sale today advertised as starting at 2. i got there at 1.55 and many people were leaving, so they must have got in half an hour or more before they should have opened.So why bother having a starting time!!!

secretsquirrel
27-Apr-09, 20:30
I understand that the same happened at Ackergill car boot. I was speaking to some of the sellers who told me that they had to be their 2 hours before the opening time to set up. It then started at 2 o'clock but was finnished by 3 o'clock, what was the point of having a car boot sale for 1 hour.

Having been at several car boot sales in Caithness it appears to me that they need a good shake up, the old phrase "could not organise a booze up in a brewery" springs to mind.

I was surprised by the lack of buyers at these sales, if the buyers are not their then the sellers will not attend these car boot sales and many local organisations will lose out on a perfect oppertunity to raise funds and buyers will lose the oppertunity to snap up a bargain. If the people of Caithness do not support these local events then they will die out. It is the same with Wick Saturday Market, I understand from the local sellers that the people of Caithness donot support them as they used to.

davlaurjen
28-Apr-09, 00:26
Could the location be a factor in the lack of customers at some of these sales?Supermarket car parks in towns are usually a good choice in some areas.I don't know if the same applies in Caithness.

secretsquirrel
28-Apr-09, 00:48
That sounds like a good ideal - howabout some carboot sales in the Co-op, Somerfield and Tesco??? obviously in good weather.