PDA

View Full Version : Concerned about a guide dog

Liz
25-Apr-09, 13:50
It's been brought to my attention that a local guide dog is not being cared for.

Does anyone know whether I can report this? I have emailed Guide Dogs for the Blind but wondered whether there was a local rep?

unicorn
25-Apr-09, 14:00
Could the SSPCA not check it out?

GetWithTheTimes
25-Apr-09, 14:02
you might want to approach the person first and say you are concerned it isnt being looked after and warn if it continues you will report him rather than just reporting him and saying nothing!

do you have any proof or are you just going on what someone has told you?

small towns have alot of gossip and tales so id speak to the dogs owner before you go acting on it no matter how reliable the source is if you heard it from someone rather than seeing it yourself it could still be exaggerated or a down right lie or gossip spread round and got to you

Liz
25-Apr-09, 14:03
I was thinking of contacting them Unicorn but thought that Guide Dogs for the Blind should know about it?

Liz
25-Apr-09, 14:04
you might want to approach the person first and say you are concerned it isnt being looked after and warn if it continues you will report him rather than just reporting him and saying nothing!

do you have any proof or are you just going on what someone has told you?

small towns have alot of gossip and tales so id speak to the dogs owner before you go acting on it no matter how reliable the source is if you heard it from someone rather than seeing it yourself it could still be exaggerated or a down right lie or gossip spread round and got to you

I appreciate what you are saying but my sources are reliable. One is my sister.

unicorn
25-Apr-09, 14:06
This is the Inverness contact details

38 Ardconnel St
Inverness, IV2 3EX

01463 241827‎

Liz
25-Apr-09, 14:07
This is the Inverness contact details

38 Ardconnel St
Inverness, IV2 3EX

01463 241827‎

Cheers Unicorn.:D

GetWithTheTimes
25-Apr-09, 14:16
I appreciate what you are saying but my sources are reliable. One is my sister.

yes but has your sister seen this or has she been told?

i understand you will believe what your sister has said but if she was told by someone else who was told by someone else who was told by someone else how reliable are they all and how much has the story changed before it got to you

i dont think the guy would be very happy if sspca turn up and the dog is perfectly happy and treated well

i am just saying little towns especially the likes of thurso are bad for spreading rumours and unless you know for certain yourself or spoke to the guy and the dog looked mistreated it wouldnt be fair to report him

i dont know if you own a dog but if the sspca turned up at mine and accused me of mistreating my dog i would be well annoyed and even more annoyed st the person who reported me if i found out

and you have openly said you want to report him in here so it wouldnt take much to find out who reported him

just make sure you got your facts right before you go reporting him is all im saying it could cause more trouble than its worth if you report him/her and he/she hasnt done anything wrong

Liz
25-Apr-09, 14:20
I totally agree with you re rumours and believe me I am not one to believe them!

I always wait until I get the facts and I would not be getting involved if I wasn't concerned about the dog.

I wouldn't care if the person found out it was me. I am much more concerned that a poor dog, who is providing such a great service, is not getting the care it deserves.

unicorn
25-Apr-09, 14:36
Any suspicions of animal or child protection issues should always be acted upon as it is up to us as able bodied adults and humans to talk up for those who cannot defend themselves.

unicorn
25-Apr-09, 14:41
Your post tickled me a bit considering t's not that long ago that you were rumourmongering about a local business GWTT. Yet if the shoe was on the other foot you clearly state that you would be unhappy to be reported.

kwbrown111
25-Apr-09, 17:47
You should make sure it is a 100% definite that it is being mistreated before you do report it as i think this person probably has enough problems with being blind, without people accusing them of mistreatment. If you are 100% sure, it is Bill Logan in Inverness at the address already given you need to speak to.

Liz
25-Apr-09, 17:59
You should make sure it is a 100% definite that it is being mistreated before you do report it as i think this person probably has enough problems with being blind, without people accusing them of mistreatment. If you are 100% sure, it is Bill Logan in Inverness at the address already given you need to speak to.

How often do I have to say that I am 100% sure!

unicorn
25-Apr-09, 18:40
I would rather be 100% wrong and report suspicions than be 100% correct and have done nothing.

Liz
25-Apr-09, 18:44
Unicorn I am so glad that someone agrees with me!

Thanks a lot.:D

kwbrown111
25-Apr-09, 18:59
Ok,
If it is then Bill Logan will definetely sort it out very quickly. i wasn't saying you were wrong.

KCI
25-Apr-09, 19:13
Although I can understand people telling Liz that she should be 100% certain before reporting this, can I just say that Liz has a lot of experience with animals, and wouldn't report something like this unless she was 100% certain.
She is not the sort of person to spread or listen to rumours.
Hopefully this situation will be resolved and the dog will be OK.

Liz
25-Apr-09, 19:15
Thanks a lot KCI. I really appreciate that!:D

Liz
25-Apr-09, 19:16
Ok,
If it is then Bill Logan will definetely sort it out very quickly. i wasn't saying you were wrong.

Thanks.

I didn't think you were saying I was wrong but it's just that GWTT already asked me whether I was 100% sure. Twice in fact!:confused

kwbrown111
25-Apr-09, 19:30
Ok,

My wife got a phone call one time from Guide Dogs saying that her guide dog had been found somewhere in England. seems someone found one but gave the wrong number that was on its tag.

BalmoreSSPCA
25-Apr-09, 20:25
Please report any concerns you have to the Scottish SPCA. Local Tel 01847861386 If no-one tells us where there are problems then we cannot do anything about it. It is better to err on the side of caution and report it. The Scottish SPCA Inspector will deal with all calls diplomatically and in complete confidence. It is appreciated that The Guide dogs for the blind should be contacted but if the dog is being neglected or is suffering then thats a matter for the Scottish SPCA

Dadie
25-Apr-09, 21:05
I would rather the sspca did checks on suspicions that end up to be unfounded rather than people not saying anything and animals suffering.

Kathy@watten
25-Apr-09, 21:20
I would have thought it would be in the blind persons interest to look after their dog...perhaps there is a problem with the dog in question...an underlying medical problem or perhaps this could be a social issue for the owner...has been tough times for some. Not that either would excuse neglect or misuse there are normally reasons and perhaps the owner is unaware of the dogs degeneration?? Am sure there must be some sort of back up/support for guide dog users and home checks done regularly to make sure both parties are happy.

Liz
25-Apr-09, 22:51
Thanks everyone.

My first port of call for any case of animal cruelty or neglect I see is the SSPCA.
However, I thought that since it was a guide dog my first port of call should be the Guide Dogs for the Blind as I thought they would have checked up on the dog.

Without going into detail, it isn't just neglect (bad enough as that is)that is the problem.

Believe me when I say this poor dog is very unhappy.

Fran
26-Apr-09, 00:59
There is a man in Castletown who is connected to Guide dogs but i dont know in what capacity or his name. Maybe if you contacted Carolyne on Labrador Rescue she may know and could help you. good luck.

Margaret M.
26-Apr-09, 02:56
can I just say that Liz has a lot of experience with animals, and wouldn't report something like this unless she was 100% certain.

Absolutely! I hope they move swiftly to check on the poor doggie.

Aaldtimer
26-Apr-09, 04:00
Thanks everyone.

My first port of call for any case of animal cruelty or neglect I see is the SSPCA.
However, I thought that since it was a guide dog my first port of call should be the Guide Dogs for the Blind as I thought they would have checked up on the dog.

Without going into detail, it isn't just neglect (bad enough as that is)that is the problem.

Believe me when I say this poor dog is very unhappy.

Perhaps people should not rush to be so judgemental.
Being blind is a very frustrating condition.
If this person is on his/her alone with the dog, it may be the only target for release of that tension.
Sad, I know, and I'm not in any way excusing the behaviour.
I have some slight knowledge of a person suddenly blinded, and the target of release was the OH, but once the Guide Dog was received it was loved and cared for and lived a happy life until being retired and replaced by a new model!

Liz
26-Apr-09, 12:43
Perhaps people should not rush to be so judgemental.
If this person is on his/her alone with the dog, it may be the only target for release of that tension.
Sad, I know, and I'm not in any way excusing the behaviour.
I have some slight knowledge of a person suddenly blinded, and the target of release was the OH, but once the Guide Dog was received it was loved and cared for and lived a happy life until being retired and replaced by a new model!

Excuse me but I am not being judgemental.

I am just concerned for a dog who is not being cared for. I realise that going blind must be very frustrating but it is no excuse to be cruel!

teenybash
26-Apr-09, 12:46
Much safer, for both dog and owner to have this situation checked out and if it is discovered their is something amiss, then steps can be taken to resolve things. Always better to be safe than sorry and I am sure it will all be dealt with discreetly.

evelyn
26-Apr-09, 13:16
Aaldtimer, being frustrated at being blind is no excuse for animal cruelty. I am appalled at you suggesting that this may be a reason for the owners behaviour. It belittles Liz's genuine concern for a vulnerable animal.
evelyn

ShelleyCowie
26-Apr-09, 13:33
Liz i admire your concern for the doggy!

And everyone, Liz would never get involved if she was not 100% sure about it. Liz has genuine love for all animals. And i really do admire her for this.

It can not be easy to have to report a guide dog of all things.

Is it not better to get it investigated anyway. I know that if i had concern for any animal being mis-treated in any way i would want it checked out to be reassured. If the person was not mistreating the animal then they will not mind being investigated! Nothing to hide...right?

Thats my opinion!

Margaret M.
26-Apr-09, 15:24

Good grief, that's all the more reason to cherish a dog that has been highly trained to be your eyes. I'm sure that the appropriate care of the animal was covered extensively before it was placed and it was obviously ascertained that the prospective owner had the wherewithal to take care of it. If a service animal is not being treated appropriately, then it should be removed and given to someone who will appreciate the help.

I am so thankful that there are people like Liz who step forward to do the right thing!

Aaldtimer
26-Apr-09, 16:23
Aaldtimer, being frustrated at being blind is no excuse for animal cruelty. I am appalled at you suggesting that this may be a reason for the owners behaviour. It belittles Liz's genuine concern for a vulnerable animal.
evelyn

I agree Evelyn...that's why I included the statement.."Sad, I know, and I'm not in any way excusing the behaviour."
I'm certainly in no way trying to bellittle anyone, especially Liz.

Liz
26-Apr-09, 18:02
I am pleased to say that the SSPCA Inspector will be calling on the dog's owner.

Many thanks indeed to those of who who have supported me in my decision.

It means a lot to me.:D