PDA

View Full Version : redwing

anneoctober
23-Apr-09, 19:13
Just seen this beauty in back garden, which is adjacent to farmland. I've been over the RSPB identifier 3 times and nothing else remotely fits. Definately not a mistle or song thrush. He was grabbing worms like there was no tomorrow :eek: Any one got any other suggestions for my "redwing" ?

nirofo
23-Apr-09, 19:45
No reason why it wouldn't be a Redwing, it's probably stocking up with food before it sets off on it's journey back to it's nesting grounds in Scandinavia or Iceland. We do have a few that stay to nest in this country, quite often in Sutherland but occasionally in Caithness. We had one nesting in the north east of Sutherland last year almost in Caithness, it was in the main fork of an old Rowan tree.

nirofo.

Kenn
23-Apr-09, 19:47
There are a few being reported along with some Fieldfares over in Orkney so they are still about.
Lovely when they take flight and the red underwing flashes .

anneoctober
24-Apr-09, 12:01
Thanks Liz & nirofo - He was a beauty and I'm pleased that my old eyes were n't playing up :lol: I've never seen a redwing here before, was only last year that I saw Fieldfares for the first time !

nirofo
08-May-09, 01:40
Redwing is a common Winter visitor to most parts of the country, Caithness and Sutherland included, a very few stay to breed.

Here's a photo of one.

Redwing.
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o71/nirofo/Birds/Redwing.jpg

nirofo.

anneoctober
08-May-09, 01:44
Thanks Nirofo, definately was a redwing, looking at your pic which is much better than RSPB site. :)

WeeBurd
04-Nov-09, 21:54
I was delighted to have my first Redwing visit the garden today - I thought it was maybe a Mistle Thrush at first, but when I checked out my birdie book, the distinct eye stripe was the giveaway. Co-incidentally, I spotted another one amongst a gathering of blackbirds later in the day, rummaging for beasties in a nearby garden/field. How thrilled am I! :D

Liz
08-Nov-09, 20:08
Haven't seen Redwings for a few years now.

The last time I saw them was in the field next to my house and they were eating apples I had thrown out. Better chuck out some more.:D

WeeBurd
09-Nov-09, 00:19
He's been back several times now, but just seems to sit in the tree or in the long grass of the field out back. Bonny wee fellow. :)