PDA

View Full Version : Yacht "Venus" from Wick, 1962

Gus
01-Mar-06, 17:47
Hi,

Does anyone know anything about a wooden sailing yacht from Wick called "Venus" which was in or around Wick in 1962?

We found two pictures of her on top of a wardrobe when we moved onto our house, done in some kind of felt-pen by an artist whose initials are P.E. (neither of us can make out the rest of the surname), and I would love to know more about both artist and boat.

Any info gratefully received, and the pictures are now framed and hanging in the hallway!

Thank you...

fred
01-Mar-06, 19:53
Hi,

Does anyone know anything about a wooden sailing yacht from Wick called "Venus" which was in or around Wick in 1962?

I've heard she was a good ship and I think the captain had a bad back or something and couldn't do manual labour.

( this is not a serious reply please ignore )

erli
01-Mar-06, 20:07
I have no idea if this is going to be any use to you but, I rang my Dad and asked about this yacht and from his memory, he thinks it's a Shetland built yacht and he reckons it's about 20ft. If it's the same yacht, then it was owned by a man from Shetland, whos name escapes him, but the guy was sailing round the british isles and came to Wick to shelter from bad weather.
He also remembers that the guy was friendly with Mr Campbell, the watchmaker.
Just out of interest, is the boat berthed along side another boat, as my Dad said he remembers it because it was berthed beside my Grandads boat.
I have got him curious now so he may be able to get more information for you.
Hope this helps.

Gus
03-Mar-06, 00:29
Thanks both! Could tell Fred a thing or two about the captain's daughter and the other folks aboard! Brought a nostalgic chuckle forth!

Thank you very much, Erli. I appreciate this. If you PM me with your email, I can send you a photo of the two pictures. They're both of the yacht at sea (one with calmish seas, one very rough), and the surname on the signature could be P Erkine or Erskine? Something like that, anyway.

I have heard tell of the Caithness watchmaker, but know not who, where or how.

Thanks again.

Gus
03-Mar-06, 01:03
Wow!

Thanks to your Shetland link, Erli, I think I may have gotten somewhere. Take a look at the black and white photo in the right-hand navigation bar of this site:

http://www.venusketch.com/

Perhaps you could show this to your father and see what he says?

It certainly looks like the boat in the pictures and I've emailed the chappie who's put that site together.

Will see what happens!

(Am excited!)