PDA

View Full Version : A little of what to expect.....

weeboyagee
23-Apr-09, 13:50
On a more positive note about the Mod - a little of what to expect - here's a wee session in the Central in Donegal last week. Scotland's entry for the new song competition being practiced in one of the hotel bars with session musicians. Hope you enjoy it - even if you can't understand it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXbbaBSKvPg

WBG :cool:

crayola
23-Apr-09, 13:55
Could we have subtitles please? Bilingual ones of course. :)

starry
23-Apr-09, 14:20
I really liked that

Thanks

crayola
23-Apr-09, 14:27
What colour wellies do you wear weeboyagee? I see you in bright yellow ones. :lol:

northener
23-Apr-09, 15:14
Nice, I'm loking forward to the Mod, I hope I can get some time to hear some of the music.

WBG - Question:

Is there any chance of any 'overspill' from the Mod taking place in Wick? Just wondering if there's likely to be session or two in any of the pubs here.

Anne x
23-Apr-09, 15:59
On a more positive note about the Mod - a little of what to expect - here's a wee session in the Central in Donegal last week. Scotland's entry for the new song competition being practiced in one of the hotel bars with session musicians. Hope you enjoy it - even if you can't understand it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXbbaBSKvPg

Enjoyed that thanks for sharing

Cedric Farthsbottom III
23-Apr-09, 16:06
Cheers WBG.Didnae understand one word of it.Then once ye've heard 'Skye' by Runrig.Man,English and Gaelic in perfect harmony.Imagine that,in perfect harmony.:D

Connor.
23-Apr-09, 17:40
I was lucky enough to see some of the songs over there in Ireland. Great music and great banter!

Alice in Blunderland
23-Apr-09, 18:53
Nice, I'm loking forward to the Mod, I hope I can get some time to hear some of the music.

WBG - Question:

Is there any chance of any 'overspill' from the Mod taking place in Wick? Just wondering if there's likely to be session or two in any of the pubs here.

I am sure there will definately be overspill in Wick. If the bed and breakfasts and hotels in Wick are booked out with MOD entrants and followers then there is most likely going to be many impromptu concerts everywhere. :D

I am looking forward to it as my mum and dad went down to a MOD once neither of them speak Gaelic or drink :eek: and they had a whale of a time. Impromptu concerts in nearly all the pubs and Hotels every night and even in the street according to my mum .:)

tootler
23-Apr-09, 19:14
Hey, WBG, thanks for posting that link - great song! :D Could you give us a translation of the title so that we know what it was all about? Cheers!

S&LHEN
23-Apr-09, 20:30
Its a song about Mull and the hills pretty sure this was specially written for the Mull mod and its won a medal.

The mod is fantastic its great fun and the atmosphere is great wish I was going myself :)

We should have started an Caithness orgers choir :lol: :lol:

Sun Circle
23-Apr-09, 21:03
Thanks for posting that weeboyagie, I'm lovin' it!

S&LHEN
23-Apr-09, 22:04
Heres another excellent band that sometimes make an apperance at mods and other various things they are magic :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gn76mOR9NQ0

crayola
24-Apr-09, 00:50
Its a song about Mull and the hills pretty sure this was specially written for the Mull mod and its won a medal.
That's right it's a love story, the story of a man and a woman and their love for the island of Mull, its hills, its towns and its people and its flora & fauna.

No, I was joking, this is what it's really about......

It's a sociological study of the attitudes and attributes of people with different coloured wellies. The singer addresses the hills as he despairs of people with green wellies and he doesn't seem to appreciate those with yellow wellies, but worst of all he is so taken aback by the ignorance of a modern-day man with black wellies and traditional headwear that he exhorts us all to ignore the colour of people's wellies and to fight to bring back the native language of Mull to the island. :D

See, I understand Gaelic and the modern day Gael's psyche better than most of those who would call me ignorant. :Razz

weeboyagee
24-Apr-09, 14:03
What colour of wellies do I wear? Hmm, if it were me I’d probably be in Mull during the times of the bare feet brigade Crayola! You’re very clever. The song indeed is called “A Mhuile nam Beann” or “Mull of the Mountains” – the story more or less as Crayola states.

Northerner, the Mod will be starting in Wick and the sessions will be there at the beginning of the week, moving through to Thurso on the Monday. I am sure there will be sessions taking place in Wick, not just as an overspill. There are already several choirs booked into Wick so I am sure you will see a ceilidh or two taking place - as they will all over the place but most of them as usual - spontaneous! You just have to be in the right place at the right time.

Connor me lad – bejabbers – have you recovered? If you liked the Pan Celtic then think of the National Mod – which is 5 times bigger! You might have been tired out in Ireland and you’ve it all to go again in Oct 2010!

S&LHEN – You might be in for a big surprise when you see who we’re after for the final night of the Mod – that’s if we manage to get them!

A wee bit more about the song? Mull celebrates it’s 75th Local Mod this year – Mòd Ionadail na Dreolluinn (the old name for Mull). It launched a competition to seek a new song for Mull (Oran Ur do Muile). You could enter by setting one of a few given songs to music or composing a completely new song. The song “A Muile nam Beann” won the New Song category and then went on to represent Scotland at the Pan Celtic Festival in Ireland where it was runner up by 1 point to the Welsh. Incidentally, the Welsh entry was a winning song from a £10,000 competition in Wales – just shows you what the Welsh splash out on their country’s language and music and yet we still gave them a cracking run for their money. Besides me on the guitar, there was Alasdair Whyte singing solo accompanied by his mother Riona on backing vocals – both have been guest artistes in Caithness many times!

crayola
28-Apr-09, 00:07
The song indeed is called “A Mhuile nam Beann” or “Mull of the Mountains” – the story more or less as Crayola states.
Thanks WBG. I bet most people thought I was playing the fool. :)