PDA

View Full Version : Dry Stone Dyking Course

dunnetforest
22-Apr-09, 10:30
Dunnet Forestry Trust, with support from Highland Council Cultural Project, are planning to hold a training weekend for drystone dyking on Saturday and Sunday 16/17 May under the direction of George Gunn, master dyker. The number of places will be limited so anyone interested should phone Will Menzies on 01847 851 662 before 1st May. The cost per person will be £30 and lunch of soup and sandwiches will be provided.

Bazeye
22-Apr-09, 10:36
Dunnet Forestry Trust, with support from Highland Council Cultural Project, are planning to hold a training weekend for drystone dyking on Saturday and Sunday 16/17 May under the direction of George Gunn, master dyker. The number of places will be limited so anyone interested should phone Will Menzies on 01847 851 662 before 1st May. The cost per person will be £30 and lunch of soup and sandwiches will be provided.

Is there any job opportunities for this in Caithness? I only ask because about 5 years ago I was talking to 2 men in the Weigh Inn and thats what they did for a living and they were from Ulverston, a town 10 miles from where I stay.

Errogie
22-Apr-09, 10:58
Will the course cover the Caithness speciality of vertical flagstone walls which are such an unique feature of the north landscape, or just laying broken flags horizontally which is a much more common tecnique everywhere else using whatever is available?

dunnetforest
22-Apr-09, 15:28
The course will be broken flags placed horizontally. The Dyker has 23 years experience and will be only too happy to answer questions on the day.