PDA

View Full Version : Homeaid shop,Wick

Fran
22-Apr-09, 01:38
I don't know why the homeaid charity shop is closing in /wick. They were very good for furniture etc for many people. the shop was ideal for room with 2 floors and very central. I thought they were doing very well, then the doors closed without notice. I see they are having a closing down sale now.

TRUCKER
22-Apr-09, 05:57
I heard that graham begg was wanting the shop back as he was moving up from whitechapel.

secretsquirrel
27-Apr-09, 20:08
I am not suprised it is shut, as it never had any decent items for sale, the items for sale never seemed to move and the items it had where very overpriced for a Charity shop. This is something that appears to be unique to Caithness Charity Shops being overpriced. For instance one was selling a Tesco teashirt which cost more to buy in the Charity shop than if I went to Tesco and bought it new.

Back to Homeaid, when I visit Caithness I allways used to support them, but recently it appeared that their where more paid staff than customers. The stock was never changing, probably due to the high prices and lack of decent stock. I understand that donations of good quality items never reached the shelves, I wonder why????????
Is it due to a car allways being parked their at 5:00 at night??????????

The opening hours where silly, a shop being closed for a 1 hour lunch, when they had such numbers of staff. Many people who work where unable to support them as the only time they could visit was when it was shut. Their closing time at night was also silly, again when people finished work at 5 o'clock it was shut.

Pick Up Charge - I was amazed to see that they where charging for pick up of donations. The goods where being given freely by the good people of Caithness, why could they not collect freely?????? Afterall it would be cheaper to recycle with the Council.
Was this charge due to new vans being bought and a paid driver?????? was it neccessary to buy "new"?????? Did they buy from a local dealer?????

Paid Staff - why did they have to have so many paid staff - when other Charity Shops are staffed by volunteers and a paid manager only?????

The people of Caithness are a generous, good hearted and willing volunteers (see other Charity Shops), but it would appear that Homeaid where taking the people of Caithness for "mugs".

bekisman
27-Apr-09, 20:41
As someone who has freely donated quite a number of large items to them, found this on their newsletter, helps to explain why they are charging..

For the past two years, HomeAid has not been charging for collections or deliveries to senior citizens or people on a low-income. Running two vehicles is costing HomeAid approximately £16,000 per year. In this very difficult economic climate the directors have decided that a £5 charge for both collections and deliveries will help towards these costs, a decision which has not been taken lightly. The directors are fully aware of how difficult it is to just put food on the table when you’re trying to survive on a low-income or on a state pension.

Collection charges:

The Highland Council are charging £15 for the collection of three items; HomeAid will collect any number of re-usable items for £5. Items can be dropped off at the Ormlie warehouse or the charity shop in Thurso free. For those donors who cannot afford to pay the collection charge, or who don’t have transport, HomeAid can offer them the opportunity to sell the item(s) privately using the display board outside the charity shop. Alternatively, the items could be advertised in the donor’s local shop or in Scot-Ads free.

Delivery charges:

The £5 delivery charge will be applied to any number of items purchased from the charity shop. Applications for HomeAid’s assistance will be charged at £5 per application for help, not for every item delivered. Therefore, for example, a double-bed, wardrobe, table and chairs, cooker, fridge etc. could all be obtained for £5 which is good value for money and HomeAid directors are hoping will not be too much of a strain on low-income groups.

Complaints:

HomeAid has received several complaints particularly about the £5 for collection charges, with most of the callers advising that ‘they would rather dump the items than pay the £5 charge’. Hopefully, the callers will take a responsible attitude to waste diversion and ‘dump’ the items at the amenity site. HomeAid has a recycling container at both amenity sites in Thurso and Wick. HomeAid asks these callers to please have a change of heart and ‘dump’ the items in HomeAid’s containers rather than send them to the landfill site. The majority of HomeAid callers have been very understanding and to those people HomeAid cannot express enough gratitude.
HomeAid is a small local charity for the local people, HomeAid cannot compete with the bigger charities in the South and HomeAid never loses sight of the fact that without the support of the communities HomeAid would not exist.
If you have any complaints please address them in writing to: The Directors, C/O 32A Princes Street, Thurso, KW14 7AA. http://www.homeaid.org.uk/files/news/news476.pdf (http://www.homeaid.org.uk/files/news/news476.pdf)

greenasiamcabbagelooking
27-Apr-09, 23:09
I heard that graham begg was wanting the shop back as he was moving up from whitechapel.

wee birdie told me that Graham Begg is charging Homeaid £1200 a month for his premises and they simply can't afford it.

hopefully another charity shop can move in to replace Homeaid so Bridge Street doesn't lose it's character :confused

purplelady
27-Apr-09, 23:17
I know for a fact it is not because gramham is moving in there, as for a charge for collecting goods you donate am sorry but i think that is a bit much i do not mind paying for delivery but to donate no way x

Kodiak
27-Apr-09, 23:30
As an Ex-Director of HomeAid I think that the idea of charging to Uplift Donations is DISGUSTING. It makes no difference how much it costs to operate the Vans, there should be NO CHARGE for the collection of Donations.

starry
27-Apr-09, 23:41
Does Blyswood charge to pick up donation ?

ShelleyCowie
27-Apr-09, 23:47
I quite agree that Home Aid seems to be rather over-priced. When i walk past the one in Thurso there are things outside for sale, not exactly good condition, but i bet i can find that same item on ebay for the same price or cheaper for next to new.

greenasiamcabbagelooking
28-Apr-09, 00:07
have to agree with you there Shelley, some of the stuff they have on display outside the Thurso shop (prams, lawnmower, tat etc) looks like they've pulled it out the river, guestimated a price and then doubled it.

Fran
28-Apr-09, 02:39
I'm sure all the workers are not paid. Arent they unemployed who have to work there on placement in order to get their money.
Also a manager told me the rent was too high and they were hoping to move to Dempster Street.

Matthew
28-Apr-09, 02:44
As an Ex-Director of HomeAid I think that the idea of charging to Uplift Donations is DISGUSTING. It makes no difference how much it costs to operate the Vans, there should be NO CHARGE for the collection of Donations.

I wasn't charged when I donated them a fridge. They just came picked it up and dissapeared within seconds. :eek:

porshiepoo
28-Apr-09, 09:51
Completely agree that the place was well over priced and usually it all seemed to be tat.
Charging for the pick up of donated goods is also bloomin disgusting!
Personally I won't be sad to see it go, I just hope that it's not replaced with another charity shop. I'd love to see the council put some money and effort into the regeneration of Wick town and encourage more varied shops to the area and prevent them all from accumulating on the outskirts. (easier said than done I know).
Wick town itself really is going downhill and at this rate it won't be long before it's simply a shell.

Hibeechick
28-Apr-09, 11:31
I'm sure all the workers are not paid. Arent they unemployed who have to work there on placement in order to get their money.
Also a manager told me the rent was too high and they were hoping to move to Dempster Street.

Yeah but didnt the manager get in trouble for saying that as it wasnt true?

ashaw1
28-Apr-09, 11:34

Can't see that being true. There is only one shop i know of becoming vacant in Dempster Street and i can't see that being anywhere near big enough for their needs.

kitty kat
28-Apr-09, 11:51
i see the homeaid van drive past my house on the way back to the thurso depo everyday i phoned up to make a small donation and was told they would charge me £5 i couldnt believe it, it was only a few black bags of clothes and a few toddler toys, paying to donate :eek: if i could have taken them in i would

yes i can understand they need to make a small profit but why charge £5 for the delivery of a bed table sofa and any other item to a new home owner they get grants and loans to help set up a home surely they could afford £5 per item its not to much to ask for £5 for a cooker / bed / units.