PDA

View Full Version : Do you like practical jokes?

joxville
22-Apr-09, 00:53
I've been doing a bit of research for the org quiz and found some info about bamboo by accident. Apparently some species of it can grow about 24 inches per day, to a height of 6 feet, but what I'm wondering is how quick it takes the first shoots to show? I've had the wicked idea of getting some seeds and scattering them in a colleagues garden when he's off on holiday, he'll return to a mini forest!

Some of you will know it's just the sort of thing I would do but what is the best/worst practical joke you know of?

lazytown
22-Apr-09, 08:14
I think that would be quite funny :) so I googled for it as well

http://www.wikihow.com/Grow-Bamboo-from-Seed

Rie
22-Apr-09, 08:52
Why would something like that NOT suprise me of you two lol:lol:

Dadie
22-Apr-09, 08:55
Be warned the recipient may not find it funny.
You would have a lot of digging to do to get the garden back and your friendship back on track!

honey
22-Apr-09, 09:15
i like practical jokes... if they arent being played on me.. but that DOES sound funny!

anneoctober
22-Apr-09, 10:00
I've been doing a bit of research for the org quiz and found some info about bamboo by accident. Apparently some species of it can grow about 24 inches per day, to a height of 6 feet, but what I'm wondering is how quick it takes the first shoots to show? I've had the wicked idea of getting some seeds and scattering them in a colleagues garden when he's off on holiday, he'll return to a mini forest!

Some of you will know it's just the sort of thing I would do but what is the best/worst practical joke you know of?
Tee hee - DOUBLE dare you :evil

Bazeye
22-Apr-09, 10:31
[quote=lazytown;537528]I think that would be quite funny :) so I googled for it as well

http://www.wikihow.com/Grow-Bamboo-from-Seed[/quote

Sounds to me like too much hard work, but I like your thinking fella.:)

bekisman
22-Apr-09, 10:42
Having served in the Far East and many jungle excursions, I had a fair idea of the speed Bamboo grows.
Back in 1984 I took my wife out to Thailand on an expedition to kayak the Kwai from source to sea, the first night in primary jungle I warned her that at night that most noise comes from the bamboo as it grows. She did not believe me.

Having set up the basher, we settled down and she was soon aware of what sounded like a heard of elephants crashing around us; no, it was simply the bamboo growing!

Errogie
22-Apr-09, 10:53
I think there would have to be a huge acceleration in global warming for this to work, but I once threw a handful of swede seeds into a favourite teacher's garden!

The Angel Of Death
22-Apr-09, 11:02
go for the cress seeds through the letter box

tonkatojo
22-Apr-09, 11:30
I think there would have to be a huge acceleration in global warming for this to work, but I once threw a handful of swede seeds into a favourite teacher's garden!

I suppose that's better than the docken seeds some people have used http://forum.caithness.org/images/smilies/wink2.gif

Gene Hunt
22-Apr-09, 12:41
My son got me when on holiday a few years back when I fell asleep in the sun. I was a bit overweight then and he decided to spell F-A-T G-I-T on my back with sun tan lotion, When I woke up there it was branded on my back slightly lighter than the rest of the surrounding skin, I only found out when I woke up and went to the bar for a drink and wondered why everyone was giggling and pointing at me.

joxville
22-Apr-09, 18:41

I like this idea....it has to be something fast growing, within a fortnight ideally.

Be warned the recipient may not find it funny.
You would have a lot of digging to do to get the garden back and your friendship back on track!

He would find it funny........dunno about his wife though!! I would be a suspect but there are also another couple of guys that would be suspected too. [lol]

Dadie
22-Apr-09, 20:38
You have posted your intent on the org!
That will put you as no1 suspect though:lol:
If you do.... just think of the retaliation..
You have been warned so no running to me complaining as I told you so!

Cedric Farthsbottom III
22-Apr-09, 20:43
Jox,the bamboo will work:lol:Another one to try,the old fashioned cellophane over the bog at a house party.The expression on the faces as a tinkle becomes the sound effects of Singing in the rain.Don't worry about the jobby part,folk just think their magicians and have mastered floating.:lol:

joxville
22-Apr-09, 20:51
You have posted your intent on the org!
That will put you as no1 suspect though:lol:
If you do.... just think of the retaliation..
You have been warned so no running to me complaining as I told you so!

I'm a Scotsman living in Hampshire and he is English. He's never heard of the org so it's highly unlikely that he'll know my intentions. [lol]

Dadie
22-Apr-09, 20:55
Ahh the 6 degrees of separation though .....someone you know and blab to will tell someone who will tell someone who knows his wife ..
Either that or you will tell...

Gene Hunt
22-Apr-09, 21:18
Get some Grass Killer and just spell out a rude word or phrase on his lawn, do it a couple of days before he comes back. You can then savour his reaction as the words/symbol slowly appear.

I did this years ago to a Supervisor I worked with who I couldn't stand. He had a 6 foot cartoon of male genitals on his lawn for ages.

Cheap to do and highly effective.

Cedric Farthsbottom III
22-Apr-09, 21:27
Get some Grass Killer and just spell out a rude word or phrase on his lawn, do it a couple of days before he comes back. You can then savour his reaction as the words/symbol slowly appear.

I did this years ago to a Supervisor I worked with who I couldn't stand. He had a 6 foot cartoon of male genitals on his lawn for ages.

I hope his name wisnae Dick(Richard).:lol::lol:

joxville
22-Apr-09, 22:10

I'll need to remember this one for someone else. :D

barmar62
23-Apr-09, 09:58
I did hear a rumour that someone put Wick police station up for sale on April fools day!

Invisible
23-Apr-09, 16:15
The only pratical jokes played on me that i can remember was when someone took of my rearscreen window wiper. I was not impressed and I had to buy a new one. Not being Mr Grumpy but there's a fine line between pratical jokes and vandalism.

the other was when my car got sprayed with that streamer stuff, luckily i managed to get it of before it took some of the paint with it.

Dadie
23-Apr-09, 16:21
Plant bulbs to spell out something or make a shape of something in the middle of the lawn

Take a long time for the joke to happen ....next year...

but it may very well come up year in year out!

Daffodils or snowdrops!

Plus it doesnt damage anything!

and flowers are pretty anyway just the arrangement will have to be altered

George Brims
23-Apr-09, 22:35

Less nasty is to do it with liquid fertilizer. It won't damage the grass, but as it grows the letters will literally stand out.

The one about swede seeds reminds me of a tale about a certain notorious character in Watten*. Once a year the mart in Wick would have a sale where folk could buy things for their garden like cabbage plants, cauliflower plants etc. Saved growing them from seed, and people in the country would make a bit of money raising the seedlings. In those days most farms grew fields of neeps, including swedes. The plants were sown fairly thick then thinned (having to thin neeps is now banned by the Geneva Convention as cruel and unusual punishment). Our enterprising friend went to a neighbour's field and retrieved lots of the discarded swede thinnings, packaged them up as cabbage and cauliflower plants, and sold them at the sale at the mart. Of course people weren't particularly happy at the fine crop of swedes they got. He went for a wee holiday in Porterfield for that one.

*I haven't mentioned the guy's name but anyone from Watten or further afield will know who I'm talking about. My Dad's generation used to have tons of stories of his very creative criminal activities. In later years his main goal seemed to be getting caught somewhere in mid-December, so he would spend the coldest part of the year residing in Inverness.