PDA

View Full Version : Quick everyone panic!!!!!

Moonboots
01-Mar-06, 10:16
ITS ONLY ABIT OF SNOW

Is it just me or what!!!!

Why are the schools off and the buses not running...
I remember when I was a kid, it could be a foot deep of snow and there was still school.....

Sorry but just alittle rant... what do you think about it..

dragonfly
01-Mar-06, 10:20
agree with you, used to be if you lived in town you went - had to be really severe before they sent the town kids home

porshiepoo
01-Mar-06, 10:23
For us, living in Lybster, it's more the fear that our kids won't get home from school if the snow gets worse. Even if the school had been open today we wouldn't have let them go.
The roads are bad too so it's just not worth the risk really.

You think this is bad though moonboots you should see england. This amount of snow will bring the country to a complete standstill, the gritters will be out after the event hoping to look as though they're sorting it, none of the minor roads will even see a snow plough and they wouldn't even know what to do with a pile of grit landed at the side of the road (not a problem though cos they'll never see one). lol

You would think we'd have learnt a lesson down there but oh noooo! To easy! They have to make a half inch of snow a nationwide catastrophe.:o)

Tugmistress
01-Mar-06, 10:38
Must admit i agree with both moonboots and porshie :o
yes it had to be really bad for the kids that walked to school to be sent home, but for those in outlying villages it makes sense to stay off when the roads are bad and if it happened during the school day, the furthest out buses used to turn up early collect their kids and so on until it was just us 'townies' in school, and if the snow carried on then we would usually get let out at 3pm instead of 4pm :) and i am sure that was to do with the teachers being able to travel home too.

Think i may just take a drive this afternoon after work to see if i can get some good piccies :D at least some of it has laid now and not all blown away :D

Moonboots
01-Mar-06, 10:42
lol porshiepoo..

I must admit it, England is alot worse with abit of snow than us.
Dont get me wrong, I dont blame you not putting your kids to school as you are in Lybster.. I wouldnt either...

I think its too much to do with H&S regulations and too many claims being made in courts nowadays which makes every business and the government running scared.

I can remember that I had to fight my way through the snow just to get to school and then they might only be about 10 pupils in the class but we still had to do our work or sometimes play. The only way we would get home if the electricity cut off or heating stopped working... THE GOOD OLD DAYS lol

Now I feel old hehehe

The Gritters - dont get me started on them.... too late.....lol
Since the contract went out from the Council themselves... it has gone downhill. Years ago when there was a good bit of snow on the ground... the gritters were making sure the roads were still open.. The roads never were hardly closed except berriedale.

Im going to stop and let someone else talk now...lol

brandy
01-Mar-06, 11:00
a lot of the teachers live out in teh country as well at the schools that have closed.. also the roads are terrible outside the towns.. we made it to inverness yesterday but almost didnt make it back.. left at 5 pm and got home at 9pm
the roads were scary!
before brora and after there was no roads just snow and whiteouts.. and drifts..
from brora to berridale the road was completly covered and white and it was a 10mph trip.. not nice.. and anywhere where there was open land then the roads were trecherous!
hubby said roads were not nice today as he went to work at dounrey..
so do not blame them for closing the schools for that have country folk going..
the town schools are still open

MadPict
01-Mar-06, 12:36
Loking at the latest pics (I'm sure some better ones will appear) the snowfall seems more like a 'light dusting'. I also remember when the snow really hit the north with a vengeance and we still went to school!!! The kids from the country wouldn't make it in, but us town dwellers had to trudge to school all the same...

The trainline and roads between Caithness and Inverness would be blocked - Was it 1977 or 1978 that the RAF helicopters had to fly in supplies for farmers etc?

Again the conditions are not as bad as in the past - I find it amusing that the country grinds to a halt at the slightest mention of snow - the Scandanavians must have a right laugh at us when we get these civilisation stopping flurries....