PDA

View Full Version : What Local Charities Should Benefit?

Matthew
21-Apr-09, 03:22
Some of you may have already heard about a possible upcoming Caithness Auction website. (If not, you can see the original thread here (http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=74037)) To make the website more appealing for people in caithness, I am wanting to give a percentage of listing fees to local charities or causes in Caithness. I am looking for about 5 or 6 local charities or causes that the money would be split between.

I would appreciate if people could reply to this thread with the names of any charities/causes that you think would benefit the mostfrom the money being donated through the auction website. Remember - Only local charities please. Lets help our community in Caithness!

Thank you!

Aaldtimer
21-Apr-09, 03:29
Highland Hospice.

hotrod4
21-Apr-09, 05:53
SSPCA-Balmore
Alzheimers scotland-Longberry
Fishermans mission-Scrabster
Stepping stones-Thurso
Lybster day care centre.
Friends of Caithness General

Thats just a few. I think a good thing would be to give it to "local" charities as opposed to "national" charities.What I mean for example is Cancer research may have shops in Caithness but they are a National charity,wheras some of the little ones like I mentioned dont have the same support as a National one.That way the money would truly go towards Local people.
Thats not to say Cancer research etc arent good charities as they are excellent but they have a wider scope than the small local ones.

Matthew
21-Apr-09, 06:20
SSPCA-Balmore
Alzheimers scotland-Longberry
Fishermans mission-Scrabster
Stepping stones-Thurso
Lybster day care centre.
Friends of Caithness General

Thats just a few. I think a good thing would be to give it to "local" charities as opposed to "national" charities.What I mean for example is Cancer research may have shops in Caithness but they are a National charity,wheras some of the little ones like I mentioned dont have the same support as a National one.That way the money would truly go towards Local people.
Thats not to say Cancer research etc arent good charities as they are excellent but they have a wider scope than the small local ones.

Thanks for the list, and yeah... That's the idea! :)

Mr P Cannop
21-Apr-09, 09:50
Britsh red cross Thurso, home aid thurso and wick

tootler
21-Apr-09, 10:50
I think Crossroads Carers do a fantastic job and so do the Caithness Riding for the Disabled - now I know these are, technically, branches of national charities but these local branches use local volunteers who provide invaluable service to Caithness people, and funds which they get are spent locally, so please don't discount them.

In many cases, being affiliated to a national charity does not make local branches financially secure and, for some organisations, local branches have to do all their own fundraising, too. I think so long as the money's being spent in Caithness you'll find local people will support you.

It's a great idea, Matthew, and very generous - we should all take a leaf from your book!:D

poppett
21-Apr-09, 12:38
"Crossroads" do wonderful work. All monies donated locally stays local and provides hours of respite care for full time carers. I owe my sanity to them.

Fran`s cancer support group

Friends of Caithness General and Dunbar Hospital in Thurso

Couthie Corner a part of Bayview House in Thurso who run day care for dementia sufferers.

Liz
21-Apr-09, 12:47
Caithness Cats Protection. Every penny stays in Caithness to not only help cats but their owners.:D
Cats make wonderful companions and often the elderly or people on low income need help.

Animal charities are often excluded from ventures like these so it would be nice to see them being supported.

Well done Matthew!

hobbes1962
21-Apr-09, 13:29
The Caithness branch of MS (Multiple Sclerosis) Scotland.

And while I'm on the subject, if anyone would like to be a helper or would volunteer to drive the minibus at the Thurso group on a Tuesday afternoon or a Thursday morning then please PM me

Skerries
21-Apr-09, 14:09
Thurso and Wick RNLI are a very worthy cause and would really appreciate any help. They put their lives at risk to provide an emergency service and get no government funding. Please consider the two RNLI stations in Caithness!

Shabbychic
21-Apr-09, 14:12
How are you planning to charge for using the site Matthew? Will this be a fee for everything that is listed, then a percentage of what the item sold for, like Ebay? (although I see Ebay now have free listing on certain items.)If so, this could soon all add up for the seller, especially if someone has a few items that don't sell, and may restrict the amount of items offered.

Amazon used to do auctions, and how they worked was; listing was free, and a percentage fee was charged only when the items sold. This way folks can put loads of items on, and keep them on if they don't sell first time round, resulting in a larger selection of items offered on the site. I know I am put off putting a lot of things on Ebay because of the initial listing charges. I in fact used Ebid (http://uk.ebid.net/) quite a lot, having been with them since they started and watched the site flourish. They don't charge at all, but I certainly don't mind paying a percentage if an item sells, and of course, your site will get rid of silly postal charges, which is a great bonus.

To make more money for charity, you could put advert links on the site, like Amazon.

Just food for thought as you go through the planning stages.:D

Matthew
21-Apr-09, 14:51
Thanks for all the replies!

Shabbychic, The way that sellers are charged is still something I need to have a deeper look into. There are so many different methods that would work but some will not be as good as others. But your idea about no listing fee seems like it would work very well. And adverts would be a must. Google ads for example could produce a lot of money if used properly.

JWM
21-Apr-09, 15:26
Why dont you set up a nomination section for the charitys that way you could change it every so often.
for example if a charity was doing some fundraising for something.
Let the public nominate the charity and there could be a poll to decide who gets it.

As a regular EBayer i think this is a great idea of a local auction website.

Of course this is only an idea and can maybe can be put forward in a better manner.

By the way well done with the screenshot looks as if you have been busy - It looks very professional

Kodiak
21-Apr-09, 16:02
I think that both the Thurso and Wick Branch of the C.A.B. They have helped many times as I am sure thaey have helped many other people within Caithness.

honey
21-Apr-09, 16:04
Thurso and Wick RNLI are a very worthy cause and would really appreciate any help. They put their lives at risk to provide an emergency service and get no government funding. Please consider the two RNLI stations in Caithness!

Im not in caithness anymore, but i agree with anything that helps our sea heritage is worth while.

Fran
22-Apr-09, 01:32
I would like to suggest anything to do with cancer as top priority,
A & E Dept Caithness General towards new machinery for all the lives they save,
Cats Protection as i understand they may have to close.
And an organisation who I never see get donations and who well deserve it.................and they need it just now as they are doing home visits to the old folk...and that is the Fire Brigade.