PDA

View Full Version : Bird flu spreads to cats!!!!

connieb19
28-Feb-06, 23:24
A cat in Germany has died of bird flu!! What does this mean now for humans?

Doolally
28-Feb-06, 23:30
Sorry to tell you this Connie but there has already been fatalities in humans due to bird flu. I guess that's why everyone is so excited about it.

However, the cases have been remote and only where the person has been in very close contact with poultry. Most cases have been in areas where the standard of living is low and at nights the chickens even sleep in the same house as the occupants.

Saveman
28-Feb-06, 23:31
It's only a matter of time before it spreads to humans on a larger scale, the question is how well can it be contained when that happens.

Alice in Blunderland
28-Feb-06, 23:36
Not very well and how will our NHS cope with the sudden extra demand it will have put on it.

JAWS
28-Feb-06, 23:42
A cat in Germany has died of bird flu!! What does this mean now for humans?
Much the same as before. Cats have been getting bird flu in China almost from the start. It's just that this is the first cat to get it in Europe.

The cat is in an area where many wild birds have died from bird flu. There is no suggestion that the cat has caught bird flu other than by the same method humans have contracted it, straight from infected birds.

connieb19
28-Feb-06, 23:43
So is it ok for Tiddles to go out then? :confused:

fred
01-Mar-06, 00:02
So is it ok for Tiddles to go out then? :confused:

It's OK for him to go out so long as he doesn't chase after birds.

Though in my experience that does sorta take all the fun out of going out.

DW
01-Mar-06, 00:06
Maybe we could just merge this thread with the "pets dying" one and save some cyberspace. [lol]

Geo
01-Mar-06, 01:58
It's only a matter of time before it spreads to humans on a larger scale, the question is how well can it be contained when that happens.

That glass half empty again? ;)

Saveman
01-Mar-06, 12:31
That glass half empty again? ;)
I suppose it could be looked on as a negative attitude, I prefer to view it as a realistic one :)