PDA

View Full Version : Too jag or not too jag?

hotrod4
20-Apr-09, 18:37
Signed my chi up for her first Injection this week BUT, I have been given advice that Chi's dont take too kindly to it and have been known to take a very bad reaction to it(some have died).Some people on chi forums say not to and some say "do". Personally I think I will(better safe than sorry) But theres still the little niggle.
Vet says that because Chi's dont go out much they dont need it as much,but because of our Pap it may be best but he wasnt "forcing" the issue.
Has anyone else ever been in this predicament?

neepnipper
21-Apr-09, 12:48
One thing that puzzles me, why do you say 'jag' not 'jab', I've never heard the phrase 'to jag' other than up here.:roll:

teenybash
21-Apr-09, 12:51
I have never been in your situation as I have never had a little chi chi but, I feel this...........'when in doubt, the answer is no.' I wouldn't, if I were in your shoes, put her through the risk.

Shabbychic
21-Apr-09, 14:53
I had a Yorkie that had a very bad reaction to to his first injection. It was touch and go for a while, but he made it. He never had another one in his life. If in doubt, I wouldn't chance it.

One thing that puzzles me, why do you say 'jag' not 'jab', I've never heard the phrase 'to jag' other than up here.:roll:

I say 'jag' too. Anywhere I have been in Scotland they tend to use this word. :)

babybunt
21-Apr-09, 20:56
Yeah a lot of chi forums say that the injections should be given separatly. I have a chi Rocky. i gave him his jags as normal, figured I would take the risk as it is a small risk. Is she a really tiny chi?

Liz
21-Apr-09, 22:09
Why not see whether you can get homeopathic nosodes?:D

hotrod4
22-Apr-09, 05:34
Yeah a lot of chi forums say that the injections should be given separatly. I have a chi Rocky. i gave him his jags as normal, figured I would take the risk as it is a small risk. Is she a really tiny chi?
She is tiny.
She isnt a "minauture" but her parents are really small.They are halfway between minauture and full size.

hotrod4
22-Apr-09, 05:36
Some good unbiased advice there. We are going to go ahead with the injection,I know its a risk but as we have another dog and there are loads of cats in the Area,I think it would be safer for her.
The risk is less than the potential disease etc that she could pick up,and if we decide to breed her further down the line it would be safer in the long run.

carasmam
27-Apr-09, 09:43
How did your little Chi get on Hotrod? Hope she is fine after her jags :)

kmahon2001
27-Apr-09, 12:07

I say 'jag' too. Anywhere I have been in Scotland they tend to use this word. :)

I'm puzzled too. I can understand where jab comes from because of jabbing someone with a needle, but why jag? :confused

Shabbychic
27-Apr-09, 13:01
I'm puzzled too. I can understand where jab comes from because of jabbing someone with a needle, but why jag? :confused

To jag means to penetrate with a sharp object. (I tried to use a word starting with p and ending in ck, but the Org has rejected this word as it thinks I'm Swearing :eek: )

Have you never heard of a jaggy nettle or a jaggy thistle? Then there is the football team called Partick Thistle, also known as the Jags. The thorny crown worn by Jesus is known as a Jaggy Bunnet. If you look on the Scottish Government website, you will find the word jag in relation to vaccinations. :)

kmahon2001
27-Apr-09, 14:12
To jag means to penetrate with a sharp object. (I tried to use a word starting with p and ending in ck, but the Org has rejected this word as it thinks I'm Swearing :eek: )

Have you never heard of a jaggy nettle or a jaggy thistle? Then there is the football team called Partick Thistle, also known as the Jags. The thorny crown worn by Jesus is known as a Jaggy Bunnet. If you look on the Scottish Government website, you will find the word jag in relation to vaccinations. :)

That's what to jab means to me - prod or pierce with a sharp object. Jag or jagged means rough, uneven or spikey, like a jagged cut on a piece of wood etc. Just goes to show that even though we speak the same language, there are fundamental differences. I remember a similar issue with a friend from Australia. When I talk about flogging something, I'm referring to selling it. When he talks about flogging something he means stealing it. Same language, but totally different meanings.[lol]