PDA

View Full Version : Judging Looks

WickLad08
20-Apr-09, 13:40
Should people be initally judged by their looks? For example Susan Boyle on Britain's Got Talent.

Shabbychic
20-Apr-09, 13:50
No, people should not be judged by their looks either initially or thereafter. Neither should they be judged by what they wear or how they live. Sadly, that is not the case, and probably never will be.:~(

Most folks tend to judge things by their own standards and ideals, and if you don't conform to this, you are deemed weird or strange and definately not one of us.

ellimac
20-Apr-09, 14:11
No, people should not be judged by their looks either initially or thereafter. Neither should they be judged by what they wear or how they live. Sadly, that is not the case, and probably never will be.:~(

Most folks tend to judge things by their own standards and ideals, and if you don't conform to this, you are deemed weird or strange and definately not one of us.

I agree shabbychic, we should not judge people by how they look, but I'm afraid in the world now a days thats exactally what we do... Just for instanst when Susan Boyle came on the Britains got talent, you could see that people thought OMG what have we hear and then she sang and she was absolutely brill.... I for one have never judged anyone by there looks, I take people as I find them and I make up my own mind on how I think of somebody.....:D

the poacher
20-Apr-09, 16:34
i dont think anybody should be judged by looks alone PERSONALITY IS MORE IMPORTANT i think.

MadPict
20-Apr-09, 16:51
I suspect that Simon et al were prejudging this woman on her appearance when she stepped out on stage. No doubt they were up for a good laugh at the woman's expense.

Her voice isn't that good - it isn't bad either but hardly worth the rather OTT response from the judges and the audience.

I have to ask who these shows are really about - the camera spent more time looking at the agape gobs of Cowell/Morgan/Holden than it did the act. Suppose as it is their party they call the camera angles....

On a side note, there was a piece written on one of the newspaper 'blogs' about the quality of her performance which has attracted venom and vitriol from her 'fans' (700 replies so far). Someone I know shares the same name as the blogger and came home to his inbox overflowing with hate mail from her legion of fans. They had Googled the authors name and just bombarded any email address which seemed to match.

Quite disturbing....

Invisible
20-Apr-09, 16:51
No.

Its very vain to do so and that's how some people get hurt.

northener
20-Apr-09, 17:09
I think we are predisposed to judge people by what we deem to be acceptable. This covers 'lifestyle' and fashion as well as looks.

Looks don't make any difference to me personally, although I know people who judge purely on looks (sad gits if you ask me) and will ridicule anyone who soesn't fit in with their own narrow ideals.

The same can be said for how people dress or their lifestyle.
I've been around motorbikes for over 30 years and don't bat an eyelid at some huge bearded guy in leathers and a cutoff wandering into a restaurant or 'trendy':roll: bar, yet some folk assume the worse from the outset and look terrified......

Takes all sorts, I suppose.

Venture
20-Apr-09, 17:57
Should people be initally judged by their looks? For example Susan Boyle on Britain's Got Talent.

I thought we already had a thread about looks and Susan Boyle. Why start another one?:roll:

balto
20-Apr-09, 18:10
as i have said before, its whats on the inside not the outside that matters.

hotrod4
20-Apr-09, 18:17
Everyone judges on looks, its easy to say its whats on the inside that counts,but if the wrapping is bonny then you are more likely to "open" the parcel!!!:lol:
On the same token how many times have you seen a bonny parcel only to open it and be disappointed?

We all judge by looks but its if you can see beyond the External wrapping then you will be truly blessed.(Copyright Hotrod4 2009);)

WickLad08
20-Apr-09, 18:47
I thought we already had a thread about looks and Susan Boyle. Why start another one?:roll:

Yes there is a thread about Susan Boyle but not about looks. She was simply used as an example to relate to.

Gizmo
20-Apr-09, 19:48
as i have said before, its whats on the inside not the outside that matters.

How does that work for someone who is constipated?...:lol:

Nibbler
20-Apr-09, 20:15
We all like to think we dont judge people by their looks but in some ways, I think we all do to some extent.

For example, walking down the street at night and it is starting to get a bit dark. You (being on your own and say, female) see walking towards you some male, in his early twenties, sporting a massive mohican, doc martins and earrings you wouldn't believe. I for one, would be taking a deep breath and thinking to myself, say nothing, dont breathe just walk a bit faster till get past him. For all I know, he could be the sweetest person on earth and do anything for any stranger but, by his appearance alone, I would have judged him. It is wrong, but, that is me.

I take it, that is what wicklad08 is getting at!! Correct me if I am wrong cos I do sometimes tend to go off on a tangent every so often :roll:. I am told, it sometimes is part and parcel of being a mother :confused

Rheghead
20-Apr-09, 20:20

How about posting a photo of yourself in your frillies and we can all judge you?:lol: If its any comfort, I posted one of myself whilst wearing a skirt, so please feel free to do the same.

canuck
20-Apr-09, 20:25

Interesting question. It started me thinking about the orgers I have met. I actually got to know them 'online' long before I had any idea what they looked like. So, my mind was made up when we first met in person. And surprise, surprise, all the orgers I had come to respect via the internet were all drop dead gorgeous looking.

trix
20-Apr-09, 20:29

i think 'iss is a(nither) terrible thread...poor susan :(

what aboot her looks exactly? do ye no think she wis a bonny crieter?

as soon as i saw her i recognised a beauty within....i certainally didna think she wis oogly....!

is 'at what yer sayin :confused

its people lek ye that causes 'iss stereotypical prejudgement on people...

ye must be choost gorgeous, are ye? [lol]

Whitewater
20-Apr-09, 20:30
How about posting a photo of yourself in your frillies and we can all judge you?:lol: If its any comfort, I posted one of myself whilst wearing a skirt, so please feel free to do the same.

Oh dear, I missed that one, did you look good in it?

Venture
20-Apr-09, 20:30
Interesting question. It started me thinking about the orgers I have met. I actually got to know them 'online' long before I had any idea what they looked like. So, my mind was made up when we first met in person. And surprise, surprise, all the orgers I had come to respect via the internet were all drop dead gorgeous looking.

Oh no canuck, what have you done. I can see a lot of swollen heads appearing shortly. :lol:

hotrod4
20-Apr-09, 20:33
You havent met me then!!!![lol]
If you look under gorgeous in the dictionary you wont find any mention of me I am afraid, but look under cute,cuddly,pot bellied and incredibly talented then you may see I get a small mention!!!:lol:

trix
20-Apr-09, 20:36
we met briefly once canuck....at 'e litehoose, rite before ye blew oot yer candles......!

thanks ;)

majic
20-Apr-09, 20:45
is not beauty in the eye of the beholder in what ever shape or form

northener
20-Apr-09, 20:55
We all like to think we dont judge people by their looks but in some ways, I think we all do to some extent.

For example, walking down the street at night and it is starting to get a bit dark. You (being on your own and say, female) see walking towards you some male, in his early twenties, sporting a massive mohican, doc martins and earrings you wouldn't believe. I for one, would be taking a deep breath and thinking to myself, say nothing, dont breathe just walk a bit faster till get past him. For all I know, he could be the sweetest person on earth and do anything for any stranger but, by his appearance alone, I would have judged him. It is wrong, but, that is me.

And, life being as perverse as it is, you would probably be in less danger from someone who 'stands out ' than you would be from a 'normal' looking person. I wonder how many rapists, muggers and knife merchants who have been convicted actually would fit your description (or my description of a Biker)?

Not many, I'd bet....that's not a criticism of your post, Nibbler, apologies if it scans that way.

Put it this way, I'd sooner have Mrs N walk down a dark alleyway full of Hells Angels or Outlaws (for example) than the same alleyway full of your average Saturday night drinking crowd.

joxville
20-Apr-09, 20:58

How about you give your opinion when you open a thread instead of waiting to see what other orgers post, this is the second time in the space of days that you've started a contentious thread without actually giving your view first. May I remind you that the vast majority of constructive posts in your 'Being Gay' thread came from the heterosexual community, which you chose to mock and when challenged you deleted them. Deja vu methinks.

northener
20-Apr-09, 21:02
Yer wasting your time, Joxy. He hasn't got the bottle for a proper discussion........

Venture
20-Apr-09, 21:07
Yer wasting your time, Joxy. He hasn't got the bottle for a proper discussion........

Now don't be saying things like that Northener, or next he'll be closing the thread.[lol]

joxville
20-Apr-09, 21:07

Actually, I think he does have the bottle.....he's using it to do his roots. [lol]

teenybash
20-Apr-09, 23:56
An old book lies, maybe gathering dust and a bit dog earred. The cover is worn looking and a slightly dated............but look a bit further and enjoy the story that waits within the pages.................So based on that I would not judge someone on appearance.

Anne x
21-Apr-09, 00:17
An old book lies, maybe gathering dust and a bit dog earred. The cover is worn looking and a slightly dated............but look a bit further and enjoy the story that waits within the pages.................So based on that I would not judge someone on appearance.

Mmm that is so true but in this day and age not apt everyone is judged these days by weight , height , colour etc notice weight first
a person can be as ugly as sin and stick thin and people say She is so thin not pretty not intelligent thin
It's all so sad really first we had the Smokebusters and that law got passsed tg :)
Now they after fat people who next I wonder Small People says me bowing out again :~(
The way I was brought up and told was to take everyone you meet at Face value and treat others as you would wished to be treated do not judge anyone
As behind every Door ,House and Person is a story

Nibbler
21-Apr-09, 07:34
And, life being as perverse as it is, you would probably be in less danger from someone who 'stands out ' than you would be from a 'normal' looking person. I wonder how many rapists, muggers and knife merchants who have been convicted actually would fit your description (or my description of a Biker)?

Not many, I'd bet....that's not a criticism of your post, Nibbler, apologies if it scans that way.

Put it this way, I'd sooner have Mrs N walk down a dark alleyway full of Hells Angels or Outlaws (for example) than the same alleyway full of your average Saturday night drinking crowd.

Northener - you are spot on. Like I said in the post, he would probably be the most helpful guy around.

It was just to show a different way of judging looks. Most posts seemed to be aimed at the beautiful aspect of looks. I dont judge people on how bonnie they look but on their appearance - as in dress and such. Judge is maybe too strong a word but I do have a first impression made when I see someone dresses 'out of the norm'. Probably comes from living a quiet life :lol:.

As for bikers, some are big and hairy (not all - I am quite petite and not too hairy), but they would pretty much bend over backwards to help someone.

P.S. Northener -hope the hangover isn't too bad.