PDA

View Full Version : Washday blues..

Dadie
20-Apr-09, 10:22
Washday blues reds and yellows..
My hubby laughs at my washing line hanging out system!
I have a line of blue pegs on 1 line yellow on another and red on another...
I need to replace some of my pegs but my hubby said why dont I just use the green or the white ones I already have....
Not enough of either colour to complete a row!
Plus Im struggling to get nice bright new ones as all i have seen are pastel coloured!

Do you agree with my hubby that it doesnt matter what colour they are or do you like your washing lines looking co ordinated!

ellimac
20-Apr-09, 10:39
Sad I know, [lol] but I too like to co-ordinate my pegs when I hang out my washing..... My OH has a laugh at me too, saying why do I waste time and why do I not just put any peg on it..... I got nice new pegs from Serendepities or Souters as it was known..... :lol:

marlyn
20-Apr-09, 10:40
No - I don't have colour co-ordinated pegs, don't give me any ideas!

I do like my washing hung out the right way though, and have a thing about symmetry, but if hubby hangs it out then its everywhere and I just try not too look at it - certainly not complaining about it!!

I am sure I seen bright pegs in Serendipity, I am quite fussy about them too - they have to be good strong ones for up here.

Dadie
20-Apr-09, 10:46
But what will I do with the ones left over that dont match my system.....they will be left to languish in the bottom of the pug tub until my hubby hangs out the washing any old way:lol:

Alice in Blunderland
20-Apr-09, 11:10
But what will I do with the ones left over that dont match my system.....they will be left to languish in the bottom of the pug tub until my hubby hangs out the washing any old way:lol:

Set up a swapping system on the good old org.

I too am fussy about my wahing line system and my mum is even worse.At school when my mum went they were taught the correct way to hang out a washing........... :eek:

jeez the kids learn nothing in home economics like that nowadays. :lol:

poppett
20-Apr-09, 11:17
All the whites together, pastels next, then darks.......ladies and gents kept together and the ladies nightwear stops, the gents starts. Bed linen completely spread out, pillowcases inside out, towels in size order with the bath towels sideways (to stop Moonboots cats climbing up them, no other reason). Certain things get wooden pegs others colour co-ordinated coloured ones............Different wash basket for carrying to the line, on collection the ironing goes in a different basket from the stuff for airing. I didn`t realise it was such a nightmare until I started writing this......thanks a bundle....(of washing, that is).

Alice in Blunderland
20-Apr-09, 11:22
Large bath sheets and towels in the centre of the line going down in size to the tea towels at the outer edges. This is when you stick your pole in then the longest items get raised up from the ground. :roll:

As taught to me by my mum who learned this from her school lessons. :eek:

Also you are supposed to hang duvet covers and sheets up folded in half and pegged by the corners so that the wind can get inside them and billow them out like a sail. Easy to see she was taught in a school in Edinburgh and not in Caithness. :lol:

goldilocks
20-Apr-09, 11:29
I am a bit fussy when it comes to my washing going out on the line also, I like everything to be colour co-ordinated and all in the right sizes... I thought it was just me who did things like that.........Lol.....[lol]

ocd
20-Apr-09, 12:14
:)You cannot believe how reassuring this post is for me!!! I thought I was mad!

My washing is hung out in size order and also lights and darks separate. The pegs need to match also.

And yes Alice it is much better to hang sheets/duvet covers up like a sail- they dry quicker and it blows more of the creases away!

woofit
20-Apr-09, 12:18
I am not fussy what pegs I use,though usually they have to be storm pegs for obvious reasons! I do generally stick to the method employed by Alice in Blunderland (and her mother). I am particular about what I hang out, for instance, hanging out undergarments, is a a big no no! I guess I'm just weird like that lol.

MadPict
20-Apr-09, 12:35
Sounds like you may suffer from WLPCOD!*

*Washing Line Peg Colour Order Disorder

crayola
20-Apr-09, 12:43
Do you agree with my hubby that it doesnt matter what colour they are or do you like your washing lines looking co ordinated!
What's a washing line? ;)

I haven't had one for years.

MadPict
20-Apr-09, 13:01
What's a washing line? ;)

I haven't had one for years.

When the cost of electrickery goes through the roof (even with 'free' [lol] energy sources like wind doing the job) you might find yourself practising your knot tying and pegwork to hang out the laundry. Then wonder why you bothered after it has hung outside for five days sopping wet and covered in seagull doodoo!

Kathy@watten
20-Apr-09, 13:02
Yes the sad brigade we are...when us grown women get all excited about finding the "right" pegs and lashing the washing out on the lines! was gifted some lovely new storm pegs by a friends OH after he was sent on a mission to get them...have done loads of washing since, oh Dadie if you need a home for your odd coloured pegs I will take em as I have not got OCD tendencies!

Vistravi
20-Apr-09, 13:52
Colour cordinated pegs?????:lol:

Thats madness. Any old peg does the job as long as it prevents your cothes from blowing away[lol]

Honestly theres more important things to worry about instead of ensuring all your pegs match.

emszxr
20-Apr-09, 13:54
i just hang it any old way as long as it gets dry. but the fact i have no immediate neighbours probably helps that i am not bothered which way its hung

Vistravi
20-Apr-09, 13:58
i just hang it any old way as long as it gets dry. but the fact i have no immediate neighbours probably helps that i am not bothered which way its hung

As long as its dry, thats all that counts;)

ellimac
20-Apr-09, 14:05
Yes the sad brigade we are...when us grown women get all excited about finding the "right" pegs and lashing the washing out on the lines! was gifted some lovely new storm pegs by a friends OH after he was sent on a mission to get them...have done loads of washing since, oh Dadie if you need a home for your odd coloured pegs I will take em as I have not got OCD tendencies!

Yes we are a bit sad eh, but at least we can laugh..... :lol:

lynne duncan
20-Apr-09, 14:08
i am the world's worst clothes pegger!!!!, i have at least 10 pegs in each towel or sheet or guarenteed they end up on the ground. wish we had been taught how to do it at school

Thumper
20-Apr-09, 14:09
Peg colours dont really bother me but I refuse to put underwear out,dont like the thought of the neighbours seeing my undies :eek: x

Dadie
20-Apr-09, 14:42
No I dont mind hanging out underwear on my line but all the knickers have to face the same way and socks have to be in pairs (as much as possible depending on the odd sock monster that lives in the washing machine)
and they all are on the blue line!

ShelleyCowie
20-Apr-09, 16:27
I rarely hang out washing. I get spider infestation on my line and its awful. So i use clothes horses inside! Takes up so much room that i dont have! :roll:

the poacher
20-Apr-09, 16:31
washing is washing to me aslong as i get it hung out and dried dont matter wat colour of pegs i use but i do like the clothes in line e.g jeans with jeans tops with tops and so on.

balto
20-Apr-09, 16:32
i have trousers together, jumpers together and so on, always done that. why i dont know lol. it makes me gringe when my oh hangs out washing, it goes anyway, i know he trys but come on he is having a laugh lol.

crayola
20-Apr-09, 16:42
When the cost of electrickery goes through the roof (even with 'free' [lol] energy sources like wind doing the job) you might find yourself practising your knot tying and pegwork to hang out the laundry. Then wonder why you bothered after it has hung outside for five days sopping wet and covered in seagull doodoo!
Good grief, I hope not. [disgust]

My washing comes straight out of the washing machine and goes straight into the dryer. I don't have a washing line and I don't own any pegs.

Vistravi
20-Apr-09, 16:55
I rarely hang out washing. I get spider infestation on my line and its awful. So i use clothes horses inside! Takes up so much room that i dont have! :roll:

Ah same with me shelley. only problem i have with clothes horses is my cat taj stealing cothes from it to wear[lol][lol]

Rie
20-Apr-09, 19:47
I am not so bad with rows of coloured pegs but thing hung out have to be done with paired pegs , cant have a red and a blue hanging something up!
And i am with Thumper, i dont hang undies out for the simple reason when i lived down south i hung them out and had some stolen , dont like the thought of any one but my O/H perving over my undies.:confused

Elenna
20-Apr-09, 20:42
I don't have any place to hang things out :( and I miss being able to do it! I'm not fussy at all about the colours of pegs, as long as they hold the washing on the line! Nor am I too bothered about any order of things hung out, though would tend to put bigger/longer items at the centre of the line, to get the lifted height from the pole.

wifie
23-Apr-09, 11:35
Not sure if this thread reassures me or not. I like to hang a "bonnie washing" as taught by my mother! A lot of this probably stems from years ago when things like this meant a lot to the women of the area. I watched one of those programmes about days gone by and the women described having to have the washing out on a Monday morning and all in by a certain time or you would be thought to be a slovenly housewife. Some things have to have an order - makes life easier really. I have to admit to having to have the same coloured pegs on a garment but mix them line to line cos I have a mixture of colours. Alice, I love the idea of my duvet covers and sheets "billowing like a sail" - have always done that but now I will be off on a seafaring excursion in my head on a nice sunny day with the bed linen out! Thanks! :D Dre-e-e-e-eam Dream Dream Dream

sjr014
23-Apr-09, 13:25
Well ive just hung out my washing, and i do have a kind of system, towels together, tops together, trousers together etc, but not fussed bout what colour of pegs as long as it stays on the line!

Bobinovich
23-Apr-09, 18:22
My washing comes straight out of the washing machine and goes straight into the dryer. I don't have a washing line and I don't own any pegs.

Ditto - gave up on washing lines 'cos more often than not the clothes were wetter when I checked them than when they went out! Yes a dryer is expensive to run but at least I can guarantee the washing will be dry by the morning :D

alanatkie
23-Apr-09, 18:52
Peg colours dont really bother me but I refuse to put underwear out,dont like the thought of the neighbours seeing my undies :eek: x

I'm with you on that one Thumper.
Depending on weather - they get hung out if it's nice if not it goes in tumble. Undies either go in tumble or on the airer - i'm so glad i am not the only one as OH thought i was barmy :roll: when we first got together & i wouldnt put my undies on the line [lol]