PDA

View Full Version : Have you met anyone famous??

linzy222
09-Oct-03, 14:11
My daughter was at Dunrobin castle last Thursday and she met Ainsley Harriet

I have met Ian Botham and the policeman from Take the high road and i have played darts with Bobby George and Les Wallace buts thats it so far!!

Mr Sensitive
09-Oct-03, 19:11
Famous people? Hmmmph. Nope, no-one really interesting. But I've met a few famous birds:

Harry Potter's owl.

The famous grouse. No, not the whisky. The birds from the TV ad. Well, ok, I have met the whisky too. On many occasions. We've shared some great nights, the famous grouse and me. And some horrible mornings too.

Some other bird from a famous film. Don't recall the film title but the bird was white.

The whale from "Free Willy".

That's about it.

golach
09-Oct-03, 21:15
I was an extra in a film in 1957 "The Key" and shook hands with Sophia Loren.....never washed that hand for a fortnight :evil

squidge
09-Oct-03, 22:14
I have met several not so famous people

Danny la Rue
Brian Rix
Kevin Rowlands from Dexy's Midnight Runners - you would have to be as old as me to remember them although a friend of mine insists it was not him just someone who humoured me
peggy from hi de hi cant rememeber her name in real life
lots of Coronation Street Actors
kissed Shane Ritchie once - mmmmmmmm
The man that used to read the news on Look North West
Steve Davies

acameron
09-Oct-03, 22:40
Not one to name drop but - had lunch with Kevin Harper (ex-hibs) who wouldnt give me a ticket for the Gers game
Spoke to David Beckham on the phone (awful shy lad the time)
Malky Mackay (ex-celtic) who was decent enough to train some youngsters basic football skills - he also refused to tell me what they say in the celtic huddle
And of course there is myself when I pass the mirror I ask for my autograph but refuse cause I haven t time for riff-raff

acameron
09-Oct-03, 22:43
Not one to name drop but - had lunch with Kevin Harper (ex-hibs) who wouldnt give me a ticket for the Gers game
Spoke to David Beckham on the phone (awful shy lad the time)
Malky Mackay (ex-celtic) who was decent enough to train some youngsters basic football skills - he also refused to tell me what they say in the celtic huddle
And of course there is myself when I pass the mirror I ask for my autograph but refuse cause I haven t time for riff-raff

Anonymous
10-Oct-03, 09:51
You have even posted it twice if thats not name dropping!

mike.mckenzie
10-Oct-03, 15:22
Met Mani from the Stone Roses on Saturday! Yeah.

Supergrass in January

Steve McManaman

John Barnes

Gazza

and I was on the tele with Ant and Dec once upon a time!

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
10-Oct-03, 16:01
erm, kissed fran, neill and dougie from travis - but not andy - met them in cornwall at the eclipse in 99 the day after ranger bet parma and I was wearing a rangers top and they all came over to speak,

met idlewild , shed 7 and kelly jones from stereophonics and got the crack with the all famous DONNIE MUNRO.....

been out in Aberdeen will Maurice Ross, oh of course went to school with David Mowat - star player of the cowdenbeath!!

Jerry- from jerry and the pacemankers......

OOOOOOOOOOOh i almost forgot i met busted at heathrow last year on my way to see the dixie chicks......

Tic Chick
15-Oct-03, 12:37
Sorry to be pedantic but Mani was from the Manic Street Preachers.

As for famous folk I've met, eh Billy Connelly briefly, Sally from Coronation St, some dude from Emmerdale and the lovely Queen Mum. Not really much to shout about.

squidge
15-Oct-03, 14:12
Ooooh I met sally off coronation street too

I also worked with the brother of the girl who played Alan Bradleys daughter Jenny in Coronation Street - Sally Ann Matthews - and she was at my sisters wedding. Her brother Tim was very good friends with Michael Le Vell who played Kevin and he often used to come into the place we worked and make out like he was important lol
:eyes

codex
15-Oct-03, 18:16
I played the pink oboe with Danni minogue....

©Amethyst
15-Oct-03, 19:51
Ally McCoist's auntie was at my uncle's wedding where I was a brides maid. Does that count? lol

And I've met Cobra - remember, from Gladiators.

That's all I can think of just now - would still love to meet Blythe Duff...

lol... the small time celebrities.

Loafer
16-Oct-03, 07:12
I met the guy that plays Cain Dingle, out of Emerdale Farm, a couple of months ago, Jeff Hortle I think his name is. He looks a beeg loon on telly, but he is a skinny bloke!! Maybe thats what the beeg black leather chaiked is for! I asked him if he went to school with me cause I said I had seen him before. :D :D :D

The Loafer

mike.mckenzie
16-Oct-03, 16:28
Sorry to be pedantic but Mani was from the Manic Street Preachers.

As for famous folk I've met, eh Billy Connelly briefly, Sally from Coronation St, some dude from Emmerdale and the lovely Queen Mum. Not really much to shout about.

No, sorry you are wrong, Mani was the bass player for the Stone Roses and now plays bass for Primal Scream, Nicky Wire is the bass player for the Manics. Don't mean to be pedantic...

You couldn't get them mixed up, Mani is a stocky 5'6" manc, and Nicky Wire is a tall effeminate skinny Welshman.

Issy2
18-Oct-03, 08:25
I met Louis Armstrong in 1951.
He & his band were playing in Nelson, B.C., a town near my home town in Canada.
It was in the ice rink and the ice had been covered up with boards. It was very cold.
At the first intermission,my boyfriend & I went backstage with a message for Louis from a mutual friend.
He was drinking a very thick syrup as his throat was scratchy and he had red mittens on, trying to keep his fingers warm.
He was very charming to talk to and we were thrilled !!
:D

FairyFi
18-Oct-03, 15:21
Never met anyone famous, but i do get mistaken for Catherine Zeta Jones down here in edinburgh quite alot, does that count?

FAYRAY
18-Oct-03, 19:18
My gran sold tickets for Newcastle United all her working life and when she died the whole team came to her funeral, Allen Shearer got realy drunk at the wake.
My dad died on Piper Alpha and lots of dogooder famous people met us then the most famous being Prince Charles, I met him again last year when he was in Thurso and he actualy remembered who I was.

sassylass
19-Oct-03, 17:56
I was waiting for the train into San Francisco and when it arrived the doors opened and out came Richard Nixon with his entourage. He grabbed my hand and shook it. This was back in the 70's when he was still famous and not yet notorious. :roll: I have since scrubbed my hands thoroughly.

golach
19-Oct-03, 19:48
Sassylass
An ye still voted for Arnie [lol]
Golach

sassylass
19-Oct-03, 22:46
you just wish I voted for Arnie, pal ;)

Tic Chick
20-Oct-03, 12:31
Mike my humble apologises. I had thought your opening sentence was a sarcastic one and I was thinking of Richey Edwards. Not sure why as I know fine who Mani is.

Anyway back to topic, I've also met Mr C and Tall Paul. Carl Cox smiled and said 'Hi' to me once, I was over the moon.

Zeebie
20-Oct-03, 19:16
You WERE honoured indeed 'Tic chick'! :o)

frank ward
23-Oct-03, 09:01
I got drunk once with the singer from Echo & The Bunnymen, what'sisname McCulloch, in Yates' Wine Bar, Liverpool.

Oh and Derek Hatton once threw a pint of Lager at me.

Do these count as famous?

solastar
24-Oct-03, 19:10
I served Ian Duncan Smith petrol at the garage when he was up staying with Mr Minter. Is he famous???????? :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Solastar

Mr Sensitive
24-Oct-03, 19:14
Who is Iain Duncan Smith?

Anonymous
25-Oct-03, 15:38
C'mon, you remember Ian Duncan Smith...

Was he not the chef from the muppets? :roll:

Liz
25-Oct-03, 19:22
Do you not mean chief of the muppets!!!!! :D

hotrod4
17-Jan-04, 21:31
Ive cooked for some famous people.
WHen i worked in the merc i cooked for Bruno Brookes( old dj very short!)Eric Bristow and his obnoxious wife Maureen Flowers!.

When i was in the army i cooked for the duke and duchess of Kent.

I also spoke to Louise the popstar on the phone and was so gobsmacked i got to speak to her i forgot what i phoned in to say! and ended up asking her what her favourite chocolate is!!DUH its snickers by the way.

And my claim to fame is when i was in Germany cooking for 2000+soldiers a day i cooked and served "forbie" and David Gammie!!! I know there not famous but it goes to show no matter where u go you always meet a Weeker!! :lol:

daviddd
17-Jan-04, 23:19
I set up the PA system and was introduced to Kenneth Kaunda, then Zambiam president, when I was working in that country in 1979.

Have a pic taken with Beirut hostage John McCarthy and appeared (for several minutes - ooohhh!!) in an episode of his documentary series about sailing around Britain - filming was on the little island off Finstown in Orkney.

Won 2 tickets for the Royal Variety perf at the Palladium in 1969, saw loadsa stars but too shy to speak to them!

Ah.....I'm so blessed!!! :Razz

Caledonia
18-Jan-04, 14:37
I have met Ainsley too, he is a wee bit taller than me and he was wearing a large felt hat, very dapper!

I usually have something wise assed to say to celebs but my wife had business with his wife so I kept the flapper shut. Due mainly to geograohical reasons I have met a ton of film stars, pop stars and otherwise known folks, but I rarely really take notice. I did give the Gallaghers a Cornetto each at a mate's house.

;)

lynne duncan
26-Jan-04, 00:32
again interesting reading BUT IS NO-ONE RELATED OR PALLY WITH ANYONE THAT WOULD BE FAMOUS ENOUGH TO LEAD THE CAMPAIGN FOR THE MATERNITY UNIT (small hobby horse or mine)
IE PRINCE CHARLES OR ONE OF HIS WITH THEIR LOCAL CONNECTIONS

frank ward
26-Jan-04, 12:02
I was at the Thurso public meeting last year when Jamie Stone MSP opened his remarks by saying that as our dear Queen Mum was no longer with us, we should write to Prince Charles for his support.
I ridiculed this nonsense then and I'd do it again. The campaign against the attacks on health sevices will be fought by ordinary peple and won by ordinary people, not by imaginary saviours like nutty prince Charlie.
I presume Jamie has already acted on his own bold initiative and asked Charlie to speak out? Deafening silence tells its own tale. While Charlie's support would not go amiss, let's not kid ourselves by relying on The Great and The Good to fight battles on our behalf.
Political decisions wil be made in relation to the forces pushing on them.

Reminder: Public Meeting Wick Asembly Rooms Wednesday 7.30pm to form Action Group on maternity unit.

Frank Ward
'Put Not Your Faith In Princes'

squidge
26-Jan-04, 22:12
I usually have something wise assed to say
;)

You???? Surely not!!!
:lol: [lol] :D

Fluff
28-Jan-04, 21:20
i was in HMV in oxford street today, and i bumped into Edith Bowman(well, im more or less positive it was her!) hehe, im well happy now. i said sorry and she said sorry-- i was in her way! i couldnt belive it! hehe
im such a hillbilly! :p

scotsboy
18-Apr-05, 13:59
Met quite a lot of famous people, loads of footballers, sports journos etc. Sat next to Jessica Lange on a flight to Inverness once - that was nice as she spoke to me all the way :cool:
Last November whilst staying in Glasgow we happened to be in the hotel lift with Marti Pellow, and he wished my wee lassie Happy Birthday. Actually later that trip home we went to the panto in Inverness and Mrs Mac had a "shot" of our then 3 month old baby in the cafe :lol: Life in the fast lane.

mareng
18-Apr-05, 15:21
I've got a photograph of Hitler playing golf - is that any good? :roll:

Rheghead
18-Apr-05, 15:29
I met Royston Vasey aka Chubby Brown in a bar in Plymouth. We had a chat about his show for about 5 minutes then he sat with his stage crew. He is not at all like his Chubby persona.

Rheghead
18-Apr-05, 15:42

only if it is of him on Reay or Thurso golf course in the last week or so. :cool:

neepnipper
18-Apr-05, 16:13
I was the house keeper at Ardverikie House where 'Monarch of the Glen' is filmed so met all the cast and they used our flat in the 'big house' for filming!!

Also lived in the same village in Devon as Jennifer Saunders and Ade Edmondson, they used to buy buns in the bakers I worked in, their kids were little brats! Michelle Dotrice (Betty in 'Some Mothers do 'ave em') came in too, oh, and Rolf Harris, he had paint all over his shoes!

gee
18-Apr-05, 16:53
i have met a lot of irish bands that came up to caithness. does that count. i also met the levellers who were playing in the central and then went on to skinandis and had one or five drinks with them. that was a good laugh. do you remember the band psychedelic furs, i met them and also julian cope. this was all in thurso. i met bruno brookes as well when he was up in wick many years ago, i skived of school that time and got caught. :roll:

just a shame cant get someone famous up here to draw attention to the need for wick hospital.

mareng
18-Apr-05, 19:54

only if it is of him on Reay or Thurso golf course in the last week or so. :cool:

Sadly, no - but the one of Elvis on the tramoplines last week is coming back from the chemist tomorrow :lol:

Brizer2k2
18-Apr-05, 20:11
Have met Mad mental Jim McLean - Former Dundee United chairman / manager while I was at a Dundee United reserve game in Dundee.

Also met several Dundee United players in the pub round the corner from The Uni of Abertay Dundee called The Bread in 1993 including big Duncan Ferguson, Paddy Connolly, Alex Cleland, John ONeil, Allan Preston (recently was Livingston manager), Andy McLaren and Ray McKinnon and a few years later Craig Brewster (cup final winning goalscorer in 1994) and Jerren Nixon (Trinidad and Tobago International who Mad Ivan Golac said had a 20 million price tag !!!).

At a Dundee United dinner at The Stakis Hotel, Dundee I met Former Dundee United legend and now Sheffield Wednesday boss Paul Sturrock.

Also met Damian Duff of Chelsea and Republic of Ireland in O'Neill's Bar in Leicester Square, London.

philupmaboug
18-Apr-05, 21:03

Was he by any chance ' in a bunker'?

In answer to Lynne Duncans request for a message to HRH for the maternity unit, ask Bill Fernie to contact the Smee's to put a word in, I believe they are meeting HRH this week ;-) SERIOUSLY.

Idlewild
18-Apr-05, 21:31
Met loads of Aberdeen footballers over the years.

Met Idlewild and got Colins drum sticks! He was really nice and stopped to chat to everyone! In a rush to get to another tent at Gig on the green a few years back apparently walked passed Ginger & John 5, I doubt I'd have missed them if Marilyn Manson had been with them!! Stood beside the singer from Alien Ant Farm said nought as we panicked!

Spoke to Sean Connerys wife on the phone when I worked at BT didn't realise till someone told me. Not even when she said hi Sean, DOH!!!

Bobinovich
18-Apr-05, 22:40
I was most honoured to speak to my all-time fave singer Cyndi Lauper after a gig at the Usher Hall in Edinburgh many moons ago. I've never been bothered about anyone else - sad or wot!

luskentyre
19-Apr-05, 00:38
I was waiting at Heathrow airport once, early and the only one at the particular stance. This hippy walked in and (despite there being loads of seats) sat right next to me. Having looked at him (long hair, unkempt beard, cowboy hat, guitar etc.) I decided I'm not going to speak to him. Gradually the place filled up and our flight was called.

The hippy guy was in front on me in the check-in queue and as he presented his ticket the girl at the desk said "good evening Mr Connolly". Arghhhh....

LRM
19-Apr-05, 12:46
Have met a few sports people Jocky Wilson David Wilkie Chris Eubank. Also met Margaret and Dennis Thatcher!!! Had the chance to meet Annie Lennox as she was staying at the hotel my friend owned but I was ill in bed. Got her autograph though.Funniest one I ever spoke to was Rab. C Nesbitt!!!

The Pepsi Challenge
19-Apr-05, 18:13
Met loads; from Franz Ferdinand and Sir Clive Sinclair to Mick Jones (of The Clash) and Justin Timberlake. On the whole, most of them were pleasant, generally down-to-earth types. Though Jerry Sadowitz stands out as the most talented-yet-messed-up person I’ve had the pleasure of talking to. A genius. Also Luke Skywalker himself, Mark Hamill - though I only spoke to him on the phone. A genuniely funny, intelligent and witty guy.

Donnie
22-Apr-05, 16:52
Just Snowpatrol when they played Skinandis. Nothing very exciting.

Sandra
22-Apr-05, 19:01
I've met Barbara Castle, a Labour MEP, when my sister was her housekeeper, Mel C twice, loads of touring car drivers, Robert Jackson an Oxfordshire MP, and a member of the Belle Stars when I was very young, can't remember which one it was thou lol.

amanda
22-Apr-05, 19:13
Robson Green his sister has moved up here and he is here on holiday...... :o)

Rheghead
22-Apr-05, 20:06
I have met the original drummer from Simple Minds on Isle of Barra. I guess he went there to get his life back together after all the heavy Rock and Roll scene.

2little2late
22-Apr-05, 21:41
I have met Postman Pat. I work for Early Learning Centre and they have a new shop at Glasgow Fort Shopping Centre and Postman Pat was there to open it. I also have the photo to prove it.

lassieinfife
23-Apr-05, 21:21
met the cast of blakes7 [anyone remember prog?] dennis waterman and rula lenska when they all used to holiday in fife.
also met Jomo Kenyatta :o) and Idi Ammin :mad: [my dad trained kenyan army] and met the Dutches of Kent..... a very lovely lady :D

monkey
24-Apr-05, 05:25
Nope, never met anyone famous... but I talked with Bill Fernie once. He runs this really cool website :)

And me Dad was the president of the Thurso Youth Club when the Queen Mum opened it in the old mill in the mid '60s. Got all the photies from that.

I'm a close personal friend of the CEO of this startup company though, and if they make it, then I'll know someone famous :D

Does having a relationship with the God of Creation count? I would think it would, so maybe I do know someone famous.

gleeber
24-Apr-05, 08:19
Does having a relationship with the God of Creation count? I would think it would, so maybe I do know someone famous.

If I was a judge it wouldnt count unless of course you had a photograph of yourself and the person you claim to have met taken somewhere between the pearly gates and the first book of Genisis.
But on reflection if I let you off with that one all the kids would be rushing in with their olde photos of Santa Claus claiming to know someone famous. :eek:
We couldnt have that. The world would be in such a state if everyone believed Santa Claus was real.
Mind you i suspect its as real for you as Santa Claus is ior kids. ;)

00Smee
25-Apr-05, 10:51
I once took a pee beside Phil McGuire and Russell Anderson of Aberdeen FC once when I was at the Caley Thistle Vs Aberdeen friendly a couple of season's ago when Paterson left Caley! Best pee I've ever taken!!!

Smee2
25-Apr-05, 13:59
What do you mean Santa Claus isna real! :(

Met Jon Bon Jovi in Heathrow airport early on morning, nice guy, and the whole cast of 'crossroads' had a re-union drink my local pub. Actually lots of stars from 80's TV and music used to drink in my local.

weeboyagee
25-Apr-05, 14:04
Mainly through extra curricular activities (not associated to work!.....) I've met loads including the following:

Jackie Byrd, did 7 programmes on tele with Anne MacKenzie, Iain (John) Morrison (BBC TV reporter) - he crawled out of a party that we had in a room in an Oban guest house a few weeks ago :lol: (he's obviously recovered since he's doing the reporting on the election campaign in Scotland) ;) , did recordings with Fiona MacGregor and Robin Hall (of Robin Hall & Jimmy MacGregor fame!), Charles Kennedy, Jim Wallace, Alex Salmond, Eileen MacCallum, Jim Telfer (we were probably his worst rugby team when he was deputy head of my old school years ago), HM Queen, the late HM Queen Mother, but best of all was meeting, chatting and having lunch with HRH Princess Anne. Most of them are real down to earth people who like a dram and the craic!! Didn't make much of HMQ though the twice I met her - very reserved - she must get bored stiff with the work!!

The Pepsi Challenge
30-Apr-05, 03:55
C-3PO himself, Anthony Daniels. A very warm, engaging and talkative chap. You can read how I got on speaking to him in today's Scotsman. http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/index.cfm?id=460862005

danc1ngwitch
29-Mar-07, 21:12
spent some time in the town where flying doctors was set lol ;)

The Pepsi Challenge
29-Mar-07, 21:18
I've met Johnny Fatts a few times. He's famous - right?

johno
29-Mar-07, 21:40
accidently bumped into lennox lewis in santa ponsa three years ago
was,nt looking where i was going, i got knocked back about two feet.
he was real nice about it ,asked if i was ok. i was that in awe that i never even asked him for his autograph for my son who,es a real boxing fan.
:roll: :eek:

Jeemag_USA
29-Mar-07, 22:29
I have met

Liam Neeson (Bewley's Cafe in Dublin)
Billy Connolly (outside the old Parkhead having a pee behind a wall)
Jinky Johnston (at Celtic Park)
Billy McNeill (at Celtic Park)
Bertie Auld (at Celtic Park)
Ron Artest (formerly of Indiana Pacers NBA team) he was at my work using a gym.
Tony Dungy (coach of 2007 Superbowl Champs Indianapolis Colts) in a TV store.
Simon Le Bon and all the members of Duran Duran (don't ask) in Edinburgh Odeon
Queen Mother (on River Thurso fishing)

Met a load of other Celtic and Man United players including ROy Aitken, Tommy Burns, Arthur Albiston, Lou Macari, Danny McGrain, and many more.

Thats about it unless you include Hazel Adair from Tomorrow's People , who nobody will probably remember, met her on a boat on Loch Lomond when I was a bairn, was a great thrill for us because our family loved the show, it was like a kids sci fi series on TV in early seventies.

sweetpea
29-Mar-07, 22:35
I met the green cross code man, timmy mallet and....

futurelegends
29-Mar-07, 22:54
I've met the Queen, Prince Philip, Jack McConnell (all on the same day).

Carl Palmer of ELP Fame, Rick Wright of the Floyd, Chris Spedding (When he was playing with Bryan Ferry) Karen Matheson, Geno Washington (soul Superstar) Linda Gail Lewis (Gerry Lee's Sister) to name but a few.

Not Forgetting Artic from Caithness FM.

Interviewed quite a few 'Stars' on the Phone as well.

Froggie
29-Mar-07, 22:56
I met the green cross code man too.....that was a long long time ago when i was just a tadpole;)

I got drunk on my 18th birthday with the band Goodbye Mr Mackenzie. Shirley Manson from Garbage used to be with them. They stole my plastic cowboy gun........I've still got the tour pass, tour posters and autographs somewhere, do you think they could be worth anything?

Met a few football players and darts players as well. And best of all Terry Nutkins.....anyone remember him:cool:

bingo1
29-Mar-07, 23:02
I have met the queen my father has met the queen mother who gave him a bottle of wine while she was at the castle of may and my sister has had the pleasure of meeting and cooking with ainsley harriot, who signed a book to my father to get well as he was poorley at the time. While in london 11 years ago with the army cadet pipe band we had the pleasure of getting a look around the blackwatch fire station the actual station where londons burning was filmed, didnt meet any of the cast though it was still good to be there.:Razz

poppett
29-Mar-07, 23:25
We visited the Castle of Mey gardens in the early 1960`s when I was very young and the Queen Mother took pity on me being desparate for the loo and let me use one of hers (servants quarters). I have never forgotten her kindness.

Was in a line up who met the Queen some years later at Thurso High School there are photos somewhere of us in our brownie uniforms.

Johnny Dunfries the motor racing driver who is the Marquess of Bute in his other life

Played darts with Eric Bristow in the l980`s at his "Crafty Cockney" pub in Stoke on Trent.

Suffered the indignity of Bernard Manning making jokes about my outfit in Pitlochry one night.

Frank Carson saw fit to make fun on my height with a joke about "duck`s disease" when I was waitressing tables in Viewfirth one night. We had been told not to wait tables when he was on, but he paid a guy right at the front to keep calling for a waitress...eventually I was sent down for the order. When I found out I had been set up Mr Carson ended up wearing the pint from the order.

I knew Midge Ure from Ultravox before he was famous, we played together as tiny tots.

Hosted a party which the late Marty Robbins was invited to after a show at Eden Court. Unfortunately the toilet was outside and as there was no light in it anyone needing to go had to borrow a torch! It was the first night of his tour and the party was brilliant. Some days later tickets came for the last show of the tour at the Empire Theatre in Liverpool where I was presented with a bouquet of flowers and the whole audience knew I stayed in a flat where you had to "Borrow the torch, go downstairs, out the back to the left and use the first loo on the right". His support band on that tour was "West Virginia" from Liverpool and the boys in the band have remained friends to this day.

The_man_from_del_monte
30-Mar-07, 00:09
I won't go into long drawn out stories regarding each one but some of them include:

Spike Milligan
Roger Waters
Dave Gilmour
Francis Rossi
Bill Wyman
Paul McCartney
Charlie Watts
Dave Brock
Steve Strange
Rod Stewart
Alan (boom boom) Minter
Jimmy White
James Callaghan
plastic bertrand
Edgar Froesse
David Baddiel
Joan Collins
Omar Shariff

On a speak for more than 20 minutes basis.... plenty of others (I won't list) that I've met over the years :D

lin
30-Mar-07, 11:13
I have met the proclaimers:eek: . Tmfdm please tell us more.

footie chick
30-Mar-07, 11:36
And best of all Terry Nutkins.....anyone remember him:cool:

The last time I was in Inverness in the bookshop at the retail park he was in there. He was sitting behind me and I recognized the voice before I looked round.

henry20
30-Mar-07, 12:06
I met Fred McAuley (sp) - ok, he's not super duper famous, but such a lovely bloke and so down to earth. I'm not sure I'd want to meet anyone really famous (except Vin Diesel) as I'm sure I'd be disappointed.

I once met an up & coming band when they were trying to make something of themselves - nicer lads you couldn't meet. A year later with a bit of fame under their belt (we're still not talking famous) and they thought they were so much better than everyone else.

However, I do remember when I was younger walking down the street in Glasgow and someone I recognised walked past me, so I said hi. I don't know why I thought it would be someone I knew because the only person in Glasgow I knew was my Aunt & sister. It puzzled me for ages, then I realised it was the bank manager from 'City Lights'. I used to love that programme and was so delighted that I'd walked past someone famous (I was young).

The_man_from_del_monte
30-Mar-07, 12:59
Tmfdm please tell us more.

No. It's boring, they're only people like you and me (and some of them pretty vile people too) no point waffling on about them.

Jeemag_USA
30-Mar-07, 13:07
I met Fred McAuley (sp) - ok, he's not super duper famous, but such a lovely bloke and so down to earth. I'm not sure I'd want to meet anyone really famous (except Vin Diesel) as I'm sure I'd be disappointed.

I once met an up & coming band when they were trying to make something of themselves - nicer lads you couldn't meet. A year later with a bit of fame under their belt (we're still not talking famous) and they thought they were so much better than everyone else.

However, I do remember when I was younger walking down the street in Glasgow and someone I recognised walked past me, so I said hi. I don't know why I thought it would be someone I knew because the only person in Glasgow I knew was my Aunt & sister. It puzzled me for ages, then I realised it was the bank manager from 'City Lights'. I used to love that programme and was so delighted that I'd walked past someone famous (I was young).

HA you made me remember someone else, I saw him too the bank manager from City lights, I was on a boat on a cruise and he was there. I also was waiting at the same gate for an aeroplane in Chicago as Chandler from Friends.

_Ju_
30-Mar-07, 13:25
Considering the age of this thread I was expecting at least one person to have personally met Charlie Chaplin or Queen Victoria as a bairn.....;)

scorrie
30-Mar-07, 13:40
Sadly, no - but the one of Elvis on the tramoplines last week is coming back from the chemist tomorrow :lol:

I take it that the trampolines are under repair as we speak ;o)

Ricco
30-Mar-07, 13:48
Just a few...

George Harrison
John Lord (Deep Purple)
Noel Edmonds
Miss World (when I was too young to appreciate it)

was in 101 Dalmations 1 - guess that makes me a tiny bit famous.

hotrod4
30-Mar-07, 14:15
Spoke to helena bonham carter while working with BT (me not her!).
She had 3 seperate lines but was having probs with one of them. I ran tests and called her back and advised her that her phone was the fault. explained how to repair, but she had a very "snooty" tone as if to say "i wont do that dear boy i shall wait till the servants have finished trimming the grass with scissors before they fix it". I found her very abrupt and spoke to me as if i was something she had stepped in.Shouldnt have told her how to fix but it was my job at the time!! as i dont work their now i certainly would tell her a thing or two about manners!! lol WHO is she anyway!!!. I'm more famous than her in Caithness!! after all more people know me up here than know her!! he he

the nomad
30-Mar-07, 15:04
Ed Stupot Stewart the DJ, Bobby Charlton, Sean Connery, Sean Barrie (eastenders) and of couse the greatest footballers in the land the Caley Jags, well two of them and I also have one who lives nearby.

One more Angus Young from AC/DC

horseman
30-Mar-07, 20:13
My daughter was at Dunrobin castle last Thursday and she met Ainsley Harriet

I have met Ian Botham and the policeman from Take the high road and i have played darts with Bobby George and Les Wallace buts thats it so far!!

I once played darts with bobby george to, an I well remember seeing james robertson justice on the train :cool:

r.rackstraw
30-Mar-07, 23:12
Met Harold Wilson when he was Prime Minister. Met the Queen Mum.
Was on a plane to Moscow with the Archbishop of Canterbury - he went into the toilet just before landing and emerged in his full regalia -just like Superman.

Glenys Hirst
31-Mar-07, 00:26
:) I have been very privilaged to have been able to visit the BBC in London..on several occasions...I met the blue peter team(john Leslie,Anthea Turner and Diane-louise Jordan)..oh and the cats and dog..I also got into the studio and saw it being filmed.I've met Terry Wogan,Christopher Timothy and Peter Davidson.I met Ian McAscall whilst queuing up for my dinner in the BBC canteen...Noel Edmonds..Sue Pollard,Simon Bates,Tom Baker,Phil Ferron and Galaxy,Chris de Burgh-(whilst in the BBC bar!)

Kenn
31-Mar-07, 01:32
Members of The Royal Family, various pop stars, film actors and actresses.stars of stage but I will not list them here as I respect their privacy!

Tom Cornwall
31-Mar-07, 11:54
I have met my wife, Liz. She's very famous down here.:)

orkneylass
31-Mar-07, 14:07
Phil Manzanera of Roxy Music when his band, 801, played my uni many moons ago. I insisted on taking over the interview for the student mag from a quiet male friend - probably because I was paralytic at the time! Phil was very patient and polite! His singer invited me back to their hotel and showed me all the things he had bought on tour for his mum! Not very rock'n'roll!! I was invited to go from Dundee to Glasgow with them for the last night of the tour at the Glasgow appollo plus party, but had arranged to spend the weekend with my pal in Edinburgh. She thought i was mad to turn it down and should have just cancelled with her, and I must say, I always regretted not going to Glasgow - the band were such nice guys.

candyfloss
31-Mar-07, 14:14
I met the guy who plays Bob Hope in Emmerdale at the " Great North Run" in Newcastle last year, and got my photo taken with him :D

Victoria
31-Mar-07, 21:35
Ewan McGregor
Sadie Frost
Jude Law
Chris Evans and Billie Piper
Davina McCall
Brian Dowling (from BB)
The guy that plays Reg in the Bill
i touched Chesney Hawks foot!
Lee Evans
Tons of football players and I sold a few of the Chelsea players their houses.

oh...and Rolf Harris kissed my hand!!!!![lol]

scorrie
31-Mar-07, 23:08
What defines "Famous"?

Clearly, what is famous to some is "Who the F-list" to others.

I wonder why so many people can have met Ainsley Harriot, yet he is still alive?

Mystery!!

My favourite film of the 80's? "Harriot's on Fire"

"Doon, doon doon, doon doon doon"

Vangelis

Cedric Farthsbottom III
01-Apr-07, 00:58
What defines "Famous"?

Clearly, what is famous to some is "Who the F-list" to others.

I wonder why so many people can have met Ainsley Harriot, yet he is still alive?

Mystery!!

My favourite film of the 80's? "Harriot's on Fire"

"Doon, doon doon, doon doon doon"

Vangelis

Funny ye mention "Harriots of Fire",came oot of n Edinboro boozer one night and we bumped into a stranger.The guy says"Sorry".Ma mate says to me"dae ye know who this is,Its Ian Charleston."

I said in a drunken state "Is it fek its Eric Liddle".....the first time a movie star laughed at one aw ma jokes.:lol: :lol:

Rheghead
01-Apr-07, 01:09
I met Chubby Brown in Plymouth, he was quite a gentleman, he's not like his not-on-TV persona. He bought me a pint :)

I met Emlyn Hughes in a pub, he never bought me a pint.

I met author, Ian Davidson in a pub, he did buy me a pint:)

Blazing Sporrans
01-Apr-07, 02:28
I've met the Queen, Prince Philip, Prince Charles, Camilla, Princess Anne - don't want to meet the rest. Met John Major in Inverness - he's taller than I thought he would be! I gave Rutger Hauer (Roy Batty in Bladerunner and used to do the Guinness adverts) a lift in my car over in Stornoway. But my favourite of the lot was knocking John Greig over in Glasgow Airport when he stood up out of his seat and turned into me without looking. I thought he was meant to be hard.....? [lol]

Julia
01-Apr-07, 16:19
I've met Stephen Hendry and Rheghead, but not at the same time LOL

Foxy
01-Apr-07, 18:57
I've played darts against Bobby George and Les Wallace.
I have also met Andy Fordham, Phil Taylor and Red Rum. :)

Rheghead
01-Apr-07, 20:51
I've met Stephen Hendry and Rheghead, but not at the same time LOL

I'm so famous now that I'm getting mentioned in CWIF meetings![lol] Hopefully not in good tones.

The_man_from_del_monte
01-Apr-07, 22:09
i touched Chesney Hawks foot!

Poor girl, I hope you disinfected your hand afterwards? ;)

mccaugm
01-Apr-07, 23:08
The last time I was in Inverness in the bookshop at the retail park he was in there. He was sitting behind me and I recognized the voice before I looked round.

He lives near Ft Wm...met him in the supermarket there last year. Also met him years ago in Inverness...hes very tall!

Laetita Dean (Sharon - Eastenders)
Phil Kay (Scottish Comedian)
The ex Princess Sarah Ferguson

Think thats all I can remember for now.

dunderheed
03-Apr-07, 10:05
this list may take some time so bear with me.

the krankies
chubby brown
the bloke from renee and renato
andy stewart
calum kennedey
the leeds rhinos (rugby league team)
the england cricket team
michael parkinson
jimmy mccrae
kriss boyd
ian durrant
ally mccoist
jim stewart
steven naismith
jerome varille
the full kilmarnock cup winning side(1997)
big country
michaela strachan
pete waterman
james whale
the duchess of kent
the cult
simple minds
the damned
cockney rejects
rod stewart
little and large
cannon and ball
keith harris
billy connoly
leeds united fc (league winning side)
jake burns (stiff little fingers)
john mellor(joe strummer to most people)
alex salmond
winnie ewing
chick young
jim jeffries
billy brown
most of the current kilmarnock fc squad
oh and the current chairman of kilmarnock fc (with cedric)
thats enough to be going on with

newpark
03-Apr-07, 10:17
Billy Connoly

Mark Addy (The chubby guy from full monty)

The Drifters

The Baron Knights

Jerry and The pacemakers

©Amethyst
03-Apr-07, 11:45
My list's not as impressive, but there's a couple of big enough names to mention. lol

Years ago I met Cobra from the Gladiators (that show was great!) in Inverness.

Last year I met KT Tunsdall and the Fun Lovin' Criminals backstage at the Skye Music Festival. Only got backstage as I was working there as a security officer lol. Got into an argument with one of the FLC... but Huey was great craic!

Also met Alyssa Bonagura a couple of years ago in Thurso - she's a fantastic singer!

And one of my neighbours apparently plays for Calley - met him at local pub but can't for the life of me remember his name!

caleyjaggie
03-Apr-07, 11:58
Ihave meet most the Caley thistle football team had drinky poos with Ian Black one night also had pic taken with Charlie Christie as i am one of Charlies Angels !!!!ohhh and my son when he goes to respite his carers live next door to one of the ICT players !!!

©Amethyst
04-Apr-07, 13:08
Lol. They seem to get everywhere, don't they?

rich
04-Apr-07, 18:48
This is the most pathetic thread I have ever encountered.
It is verging on the cult of celebrity. I expect there will be an oubreak of head shaving on the Org. Or multiple applications to remove African babies from the land of their birth to be installed as trophies in Beverley Hills somewhere.
I have met NOBODY famous. And if I did I wouldn't boast about it.
As far as I am concerned it makes no difference my having met the famous blues player Lonnie Johnson, or Jimmy Page, or Muhammed Ali or the Rolling Stones. ALthough I have met all these people. But I don't brag about it.
Listen up, Caithness, in your own, ever-so-humble way you are all celebrities.
Now excuse me please, I have to revise my notes on the Al Gore interview...

golach
04-Apr-07, 19:29
Now excuse me please, I have to revise my notes on the Al Gore interview...

Excuse me rich, who is Al Gore? :eek:

Saxo01
04-Apr-07, 19:36
Excuse me rich, who is Al Gore? :eek:

I think he teamed up with a guy called Tex & made waterproof clothing ;)

paris
04-Apr-07, 19:48
Ive met and made a cuppa for status quo, even though i was to young to know who they were. lol Ive met una stubbs, (worzil gummage`s wife aunt sally ) Roger moore, the saint and bonny prince charlie when he came to lybster . jan x

percy toboggan
04-Apr-07, 20:34
Matt Busby once asked me to 'please move my car'
It wasn't mine & I told him so, respectfully.
Not a bad feat for a City fan.
RIP Sir Matt - one of football's gentlemen.

Chobbersjnr
05-Apr-07, 14:16
I met Roy "wish it could be Xmas everyday" Wood. Coming off stage in Norfolk

shared the stage with George "Abilene" Hamilton IV

Had a good craic with Chris "bassist of the Byrds" Hillman & Herb Pederson who played with the Dillingers, & also was muso partners with Gerry Garcia

Lesley Riddoch.................my radio hero

©Amethyst
07-Apr-07, 17:01

Pathetic as you think the thread may be, methinks it's just a bit of fun. But anyway I do like your contribution!!!

I'm away to be a socialite now, dah-lin'!

percy toboggan
07-Apr-07, 18:26
Oh I think I'd rather be a regular nonentity than a 'humble celebrity' which strikes me is an oxymoron and might suggest failure in one chosen field. I'm down here in the gutter, but surveying the stars. The astral variety of course as most of the others - dead Beatles aside - simply do not interest me.

I think this thread - far from being 'pathetic' is a whimsical one. Fame exists as a concept , like it or not. I should think it can be an onerous burden to bear. Though it often accompanies wealth, I would much rather have the wealth, without any attendant 'fame'. I'll probably go my grave with neither but I'm resigned to it.

Laugh a minute am I not?

quirbal
07-Apr-07, 23:25
when i used to live down in england i met giant haystacks(you know the big fat wrestler):eek:

SNOWDOG
07-Apr-07, 23:36
I once met Kenneth Branagh, Jeremy Irons and Philip Schofield all at the same bash and i couldnt believe how peedie they were, and im not that tall myself. They say TV puts 10 pounds on you, i think it must add a foot in height as well! :)

porshiepoo
08-Apr-07, 09:16
I've met Prince Charles, The Krankies and Matthew Pincent & Steve Redgrave.
Plus I snogged a Radio 1 DJ - Craig Strong! (I was but 16 years old) Thats it I think!