PDA

View Full Version : sinclair bay pub keiss

rangers1873
19-Apr-09, 12:59
yesterday my son and his mate were out with 12 other mates doing a tour of the county for there 18th birthday stopped at this pub and were refused entry because the owners said they dont do pub crawls, what a load of crap, you tell me what is the difference to when the keiss football team play at home in the highland amatuer cup and they take the other team there for drinks ,the owners are quick enough taking there money. my son said there were only 2 people in the pub at the time, i take it the owner is loaded that he can refuse entry to the lads and the 2-3 rounds they would of bought before they went on there way. please note all the boys were over 18. a pure disgrace

Lilly
19-Apr-09, 13:13
obviously the credit crunch hasn't hit keiss yet when they can afford to turn away good custom!!! will definately give this pub a wide berth when i'm out on a pub crawl especially when they're being so choosy about who they let in.[disgust] Public house ....... i thought that it was open to the public but so sad when they turn away a group of young lads out celebrating they're 18th is it the case that you don't get in if your not from keiss. Time for new landlords i think anyway hope the lads had no problem elsewhere and enjoyed there day out.

rangers1873
19-Apr-09, 13:20
obviously the credit crunch hasn't hit keiss yet when they can afford to turn away good custom!!! will definately give this pub a wide berth when i'm out on a pub crawl especially when they're being so choosy about who they let in.[disgust] Public house ....... i thought that it was open to the public but so sad when they turn away a group of young lads out celebrating they're 18th is it the case that you don't get in if your not from keiss. Time for new landlords i think anyway hope the lads had no problem elsewhere and enjoyed there day out.

the lads had no problem anywhere else, just this poor example of a pub they were in most of the pubs in thurso and the landlords were delighted to see them as they were well behaved and a credit to 18year olds.

Blondie
19-Apr-09, 13:30
Thats a disgrace!! Good on you naming the pub!

Hope your sons health is ok today ;)

gemma89
19-Apr-09, 13:53
can't believe what i've just read, never ever heard of a pub turning away customers because they don't do pub crawls especially when they only had 2 customers in the bar what a disgrace to keiss!!!!! what's the difference in entertaining a football team and 14 youngsters on a birthday bash. A disgrace to caithness especially when they were warmly welcomed in other bars around the county. THANKFULLY the boys went on to enjoy their day out no thanks to the sinclair bay pub it,s just unbelievable, by the way happy birthday boys:lol:

Blondie
19-Apr-09, 13:55
Places like that deserve to get no custom IMO. [disgust]

Twiggy
20-Apr-09, 17:24
Possib ly they had the FLU?????:lol:[lol]

scorpion
20-Apr-09, 17:47
The reason for the party being turned away was thanks to the last bus party that stopped there , they left with several of the balls from the pool table and a couple of other items from the bar ,this party were later stopped by the police as they were doing this in every pub they went to ! So its thanks to those clowns that it has been spoilt for everyone else !

rangers1873
20-Apr-09, 18:21
The reason for the party being turned away was thanks to the last bus party that stopped there , they left with several of the balls from the pool table and a couple of other items from the bar ,this party were later stopped by the police as they were doing this in every pub they went to ! So its thanks to those clowns that it has been spoilt for everyone else !

if thats the case you are discriminating against the lads for something somebody else did, also what if a bunch of keiss locals were going out on a pub crawl and wanted to start in the keiss bar first would they be refused entry as well(don't think so ). and like i pointed out already what happens when the football team come to the bar with the visiting team and there supporters who will get tanked up on booze, what is to stop them doing stuff. also the lads went to the bars in j.o.groats , mey ,dunnet and castletown, thurso and scrabster and were made most welcome by the bar staff.

scorpion
20-Apr-09, 18:24
So how would you feel if you were the landlord and this happened to you ?

rangers1873
20-Apr-09, 19:21
So how would you feel if you were the landlord and this happened to you ?

well if i had this attitude towards people or other pubs had the same attitude then there would be no pubs open to the general public. what you have given is a lame excuse as propably most bars in caithness have lost pool balls at sometime or another , but do you see them refuse peoples custom wether it be strangers or locals.

Lilly
20-Apr-09, 19:30
Having worked in a bar myself, it comes with the territory that large groups of people go into pubs, wether its a pub crawl hen/stag night birthday or any other celebration and have never ever heard something so ridiculous! Surely its groups of 4+ are not allowed into keiss pub and u must stand in a queue outside and wait for your turn like what the supermarkets do with school children because after all, your not permitted outside a pub with a glass/bottle in your hand.

annemarie482
21-Apr-09, 00:06
i worked in keiss pub for 8 years until a year or so ago and this has NEVER been the case.
recently many pubs in caithness are refusing 18th birthdays as pubs/ hotels are being recklessly damaged. and licenses risked.
i'm not saying this was the case with this particular group of boys
but unfortunately it does affect all groups.
many teens have been booking village halls as hotels/ pubs just wont take them.
i can assure you if they were turned away it was most likely for this reason,as there is no way they'd have turned away the cash otherwise!
anyway, i have notified propriotors of this thread.
why not phone them to hear their side?
2 sides to every story as they say.

annemarie482
21-Apr-09, 00:10
also you find that country pubs tend to phone ahead to the next pub on route to warn them of oncoming crawls. very often concerns are passed on regarding ages, damage etc. even if not mentioned to the party in question at the time. maybe this was the case?

northener
24-Apr-09, 23:55
The reason Colin (who, by the way, is one of the most laid-back blokes I have ever met) has had to turn away 'bus parties' is that there has invariably been trouble and damage every time he's allowed them in. Pool balls missing, glasses missing, ceiling tiles deliberately smashed with pool cues and fire extinguishers being set off...and that' just the ones I'm personally aware of.

The difference between Keiss footie team having a drink with their opposition and a shedload of lads turning up unannounced is that the opposing footie team are there as guests of Keiss FC - and will be known to Keiss FC.
Anyone stepping out of line would be swiftly dealt with by their own club...this is not the case with a big bunch of lads - or lasses - who just pile in, chuck a couple of drinks down their neck and disappear into the sunset. Historically, groups such as that have been a source of trouble as they have no sense of responsibility towards the pub, because they'll probably never go back there again........

Colin and Dawn run a decent pub, they work hard, look after their customers (whether they're local or not) and are determined to keep the pub a friendly and relaxing place to have a drink.

If the price of this is not allowing large groups to roll in unannounced- then so be it. No-one wants to spend their relaxation time with a load of juvenile-minded planks who cannot handle their drink or behave in a reasonable manner.

Unfortunately, there will always be people who have no intention of causing trouble getting caught out by this policy, and that is a shame, but you cannot expect the owners to psychoanalyse every group that wanders in unannounced off the street.