PDA

View Full Version : Arte 1961 1964

Bazeye
19-Apr-09, 02:30
Got a tale to tell about a mannie who was working there then. Hes from Barrow and told me to go on the org and mention a few names, places etc to see if anyone remembers him. Lived in barrow all my life and so has he but didnt know we had a Caithness connection until tonight.... small world innit. Lived with the Shearsmith family fort about 8 months....Does that ring any bells?

Bazeye
20-Apr-09, 13:17
Got a tale to tell about a mannie who was working there then. Hes from Barrow and told me to go on the org and mention a few names, places etc to see if anyone remembers him. Lived in barrow all my life and so has he but didnt know we had a Caithness connection until tonight.... small world innit. Lived with the Shearsmith family fort about 8 months....Does that ring any bells?

His names Mike Gardiner and worked at ARTE 1961-64 as a sheet metal worker. He stayed at Boston camp and worked alongside George Chambers from Thurso, Jackie Webster and Joycer Williamson, both from Wick. He then lodged with the Shearsmith family at Robert Dick Place for about 8 months then onto Ormlie Lodge. He also stayed on a caravan site at Castletown (is it still there). He also worked with Jock Bremner who was apparently a star on the Highland Games circuit and a rival to Arthur Rowe. Any orgers know any of these people or what happened to them, as I told him Id mention it on the org. and pass any feedback back to him.

Alice in Blunderland
20-Apr-09, 13:26
I know Joycer from Wick theres Joycer snr and jnr. We lived next door from them for a few years and were very good to my mum. :) They still live in the same house.:)

Bobinovich
28-Apr-09, 11:58
Posting on behalf of a friend who is the daughter of the late Mrs Shearsmith who died in 1974. She remembers her mother keeping lodgers but unfortunately cannot remember any by name.

Bazeye
28-Apr-09, 13:47
Posting on behalf of a friend who is the daughter of the late Mrs Shearsmith who died in 1974. She remembers her mother keeping lodgers but unfortunately cannot remember any by name.

Mike travelled to Thurso on his motorbike and went through a dry stone wall somewhere near Alness when his front brake cable snapped but was uninjured despite doing over 70mph when it happened. He sold it later and got a car.