PDA

View Full Version : Cant find the litter tray!

ShelleyCowie
18-Apr-09, 23:04
No not me, i can find it just fine!

But Brenon cant seem to find it. :confused He has only had the 1 "accident". But everytime he needs the loo he walks back to that same spot and tries to do it there. I take him through to the litter tray then he does it fine there.

Its not far from the livingroom and the door is always slightly open so he can get in and out. I have used a "wee" deoderisor (sp) on the place where he done his pee before but still wants to go there. Through the night he goes fine in his tray though.

Any suggestions as to why he wont go through? He seems to know to go through to his food. Typical male i think lol.

Cheers guys! :)

unicorn
18-Apr-09, 23:09
It may be a bit awkward but until he finds his bearings set the tray where he did wee. He is associating the smell. Bicarbonate of soda overnight on the spot should neutralise it but let him get his bearings first.

ShelleyCowie
18-Apr-09, 23:14
It may be a bit awkward but until he finds his bearings set the tray where he did wee. He is associating the smell. Bicarbonate of soda overnight on the spot should neutralise it but let him get his bearings first.

That will be awkward because he done it on the arm of a couch! :confused :lol:

But i will give the bicarbonate of soda a go too. Cheers Unicorn!

Im sure once he gets to know the house a bit better he will get there. He is still finding many hidey holes to creep into.

unicorn
18-Apr-09, 23:21
For the first few days don't give him too much space to roam in, it will help him to feel secure in his surroundings.
With Tia I just used to pop her into her enclosed litter tray every hour or so to begin with until she got the idea and I have always had it at the back of the room as it is a quiet area.
That way she is not disturbed. I have all her stuff in the same area and she knows it is her space.

balto
18-Apr-09, 23:27
well well shelley sorry to say benny is perfect lol, not 1 accident yet. my older cat started doing it and she kept going back to the same spot, but i used the trusted bicarbinate of soda and she never did it again, think if their scent is in the area they will keep going back to the same spot.

ShelleyCowie
18-Apr-09, 23:36
Its just the first time he came in he was playing on the couch and decided to go there. I know now the way he is when he is going to do the toilet, how he acts and that.

I take him through every hour and try to get him to follow me more than lift him. But if i think he is just gonna do the loo where he is i will grab him! lol

balto
19-Apr-09, 14:06
Its just the first time he came in he was playing on the couch and decided to go there. I know now the way he is when he is going to do the toilet, how he acts and that.

I take him through every hour and try to get him to follow me more than lift him. But if i think he is just gonna do the loo where he is i will grab him! lol
just after he has eaten or had a drink place him in his litter tray and see if that makes a difference.

ShelleyCowie
19-Apr-09, 16:52
Well today he has been going himself. I have only had to take him once and the rest he has gone on his own! :) Ats ma boy!

Lets just hope he can keep it up now!

I think he is quite used to going with Benny and his sister though Balto, cos when i walk through to the kitchen he will go. So maybe he is following the leader type thing! Because Fintan does not use a litter tray. He goes outside to do his business. And Brenon cant reach fintan cos he wont come out of the window sill! Chicken that he is! :lol:

unicorn
19-Apr-09, 17:43
Thats good news then. Just takes a bit of time to find their way.

ShelleyCowie
21-Apr-09, 22:35
Ok he is back to it again! He wont go unless i take him! :confused He sticks to me like glue anyway. (except when the hoover is out) but i still have to take him through.

Through the night he is fine because the tray is right there. But through the day he tries to go where he pleases!

teenybash
21-Apr-09, 23:46
Ok he is back to it again! He wont go unless i take him! :confused He sticks to me like glue anyway. (except when the hoover is out) but i still have to take him through.

Through the night he is fine because the tray is right there. But through the day he tries to go where he pleases!

He is just a little baby pussycat and with time he will go on his own. At the moment he is relying on you as his mum to show him how to do the right thing at the right time and in the right place............. Remember he is a mini Tom and some of his widdling here and a wee widdle there will be him marking his territory, even though he is just a kitty. Sounds as if you are going to be 'Cat Mum' for a little while...;)

ShelleyCowie
22-Apr-09, 12:02
I dont mind being a cat-mum! :D

But im not so sure he is a cat anymore. Seems more like a monkey now. [lol]

Iffy
30-Apr-09, 19:51
Hope Brenon is a wee (:eek:) bit better at finding the litter tray ?

I have a problem with my 15 year old "bairn" and the litter tray!

She can find it just fine - BUT MOST of it goes over the edge!!! I have a tonne of newspaper down around it because of this, but WHY, OH WHY can't she just aim the actual tray itself !!!! :roll:

This has only been happening the last couple of months - and, no, nothing in her environment has changed

Anyone got any ideas - I'm FAST running outta newspapers !!!! :~(

ShelleyCowie
30-Apr-09, 22:34

She can find it just fine - BUT MOST of it goes over the edge!!! I have a tonne of newspaper down around it because of this, but WHY, OH WHY can't she just aim the actual tray itself !!!! :roll:

This has only been happening the last couple of months - and, no, nothing in her environment has changed

Its actually going much better thanks Iffy!

No accidents in the last 3 days! Nothing major before that though.

We have realised that if he is in the livingroom he will do it here. And we now also realised he prefers to be upstairs in the lobby with Fintan! They both sit on a cardboard box we have up there. So if he is out there with fintan then no accidents anymore!

He does like to come in the living room at nights to get a cuddle and muck around with his toys! And athruns ball pit! lol!

He always has the option of coming in though because we leave the living room door open. But he prefers to be with fintan.

Advice back to you - buy a bigger litter tray or more news papers! Thats all i can think on anyways.

teenybash
30-Apr-09, 23:47
My cat also suffers from 'the stickyoot bum syndrome' at times......don't know why, might just be notions they take for reasons known only to themselves....cats are funny old things at times..:Razz

Liz
01-May-09, 13:03
Glad wee Brenon is better at toileting now Shelley.

Iffy the only thing I can think of is a hooded litter tray? We have always used these as it stops Benjy taking 'snacks'.:confused

Could it be that she is a wee bit stiff now so finds it difficult to crouch down to do her toilet?

Vistravi
01-May-09, 13:10

Iffy buy one of the cat litter trays with the big enclosure. one of my pair likes to throw the kitty litter around and the enclousure has helped alot to keep it in the tray.

Iffy
01-May-09, 13:15
Thanks very much to you both, Liz and Vistravi !!!

I've never actually heard of a "hooded litter tray" - where could I buy one?

(thanks also to Teeny and Shelley for your ideas too !!!)

Vistravi
01-May-09, 13:37
Some vets may have them, pets at home def have them (thats where i got mine) and if all fails go online and order from tesco direct.
They're well worth the extra money. Save you a fortune on kitty litter in my case and newspapers in yours ;)

ShelleyCowie
01-May-09, 16:42
This is about £13 from pets at home

http://www.petsathome.com/find/category-is-1+cat/category-is-1j+litter+and+accessories/category-is-1J05+Litter+trays/product-is-13004

Thinkin about getting it myself! Brenon makes an awful mess!

Iffy
01-May-09, 19:34
Thank you all so much for your replies !!

I won't be needing to buy.... The Daily Reacord, The Daily Mail, The Daily Express, The Press & Journal, The Times, etc........on a DAILY BASIS NOW !!!!! :lol::lol:

Vistravi
01-May-09, 22:20
Oh dear was your cat that bad Iffy?[lol][lol][lol]

Ach well at least you have it sorted now.

unicorn
01-May-09, 22:27
Closed in litter trays are superb :D Minimum smells, minimum mess.