PDA

View Full Version : Marine Tropicals

Happy Guy
18-Apr-09, 19:51
Need advice please!
I have small marine tropical reef tank, with 2 clowns and two damsels, and a wide range of inverts. Two active organic filters, heater and air pump, And I need to move from Norfolk to Thurso! 2 days journey. I have a battery power pack that will deliver 240 volts at low output for about 12 hours. Does anyone have any suggestions for the simplest way to bring them north? Please!

http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/144/001yuz.jpg

ShelleyCowie
18-Apr-09, 23:37
Flush em down the loo and see if they can make their own way up! [lol]

Sorry joke!

Dadie
19-Apr-09, 20:11
Is there anything you can run of the car cigarrette lighter? Im thinking along the lines of mobile phone chargers and dvd players that would power the battery pack you have.
Have you asked at the pet shop how their fish are transported long distances?
polystyrene packaging and bubble wrap round the tank would keep the temp up but have no idea about keeping the water aerated and filtered...

S&LHEN
19-Apr-09, 20:21
What about flying them here and getting someone to pick them up for you? Think it only takes 2 hours but dont quote me on it.

Happy Guy
19-Apr-09, 20:22
Is there anything you can run of the car cigarrette lighter? Im thinking along the lines of mobile phone chargers and dvd players that would power the battery pack you have.
Have you asked at the pet shop how their fish are transported long distances?
polystyrene packaging and bubble wrap round the tank would keep the temp up but have no idea about keeping the water aerated and filtered...

Thanks! Yes can keep the battery pack topped up from ciggy lighter, bigest problem will be keeping the water inside the tank perhaps? 640 miles many over bumpy A9? Yes, have bubble wrap. I believe they sedate them, but will check on monday

Dadie
19-Apr-09, 20:29
Only 1/2 to 3/4 fill the tank and put the lid/ hood on and avoid the potholes:lol:

Top up the tank when you get here!

Take a few bottles of water to top up any sloshing on the way!

ShelleyCowie
19-Apr-09, 21:36
I still think my idea might work! :lol:

changilass
19-Apr-09, 23:18
Put the fish in bags and then put the bags in the tank so they are jammed and cant move about then see about getting some heat packs, this is how fish are sent up here by post.

changilass
19-Apr-09, 23:20
Flush em down the loo and see if they can make their own way up! [lol]

Sorry joke!

Folks have been jumped on from a height for much less in the pets section. I keep fish and don't find your comment funny.

focus
19-Apr-09, 23:43
methinks Shelley was referring to the clown fish in 'Finding Nemo' finding it's way home.

don't worry Shelley, most folk don't believe you advocate flushing fish down the loo :roll:

hotrod4
20-Apr-09, 06:40
I would defo go down the heater packs route.I have had fish delivered up here and it can take over a day sometimes 2. Have never had any problems receiving the fish. They came in a tight polystyrene box with heater packs and it was still warm 48hrs later.
All the best for the move.

Dadie
24-Apr-09, 11:18
did you manage to transport them ok?

ShelleyCowie
28-Apr-09, 21:55
Folks have been jumped on from a height for much less in the pets section. I keep fish and don't find your comment funny.

methinks Shelley was referring to the clown fish in 'Finding Nemo' finding it's way home.

don't worry Shelley, most folk don't believe you advocate flushing fish down the loo :roll:

Focus gets me. And HG knows my sense of humor. Most people do.

As if i would ever flush a marine tropical down the loo. :eek:

jockyplunck
01-May-09, 19:50
hi you can buy a 240v inverter which plugs into your car lighter socket. you can get them from halfords i think or any car shop.

Leanne
15-May-09, 17:23
How did you do? I am transporting mine in 2 weeks!! I have polystyrene boxes and heat packs to keep the temp up. Hopefully all will be OK.

Nice to know there is another marine tank owner in the area :)