PDA

View Full Version : super fish & chips

ALISON
18-Apr-09, 18:49
tonight I had the best fish supper for a long time, big slab of fresh cod, crispy batter ( and I mean big--hanging over the plate at both ends) chips not greasy --lovely, from the cross at lybster, It has changed hands and the meal was lovely, Oh I was at the portlands the week before and paid twice as much for the same meal, in comparison that was poor,left still hungry, wich is certainly not the case tonight.:Razz

S&LHEN
18-Apr-09, 19:16
Sounds lovely!! where abouts is that? Is it near the Portland hotel?:Razz

Kodiak
29-Apr-09, 14:18
For the Very Best Fish and Chips you should try the Mobile Fish & Chip Van. Beautiful Fresh Fish and Hand Cut Chips. Also great Value for Money and while there ask about their Home Made Cheese Cake, it is to Die for, YUMMY. I can't wait until tonight when they are in Thurso, Ormlie Community Centre.

Here is a Link to their web site, check out the places where the Van visits :-

http://www.chef4celebrations.com/

Kodiak
29-Apr-09, 15:55
I have just been advised that due to commitments with O'neill and the Highland Surfing Championship the Mobile Chip Van will not be able be at any of their Venues this week. SOB!!:(

Hopefully he will be back on Schedule next week. :D

Geo
30-Apr-09, 19:52
For the Very Best Fish and Chips you should try the Mobile Fish & Chip Van. Beautiful Fresh Fish and Hand Cut Chips.

I was disappointed with the fish and chips from the mobile chippy. The batter on the fish was soggy inside and I didn't like the chips. I was really looking forward to it as well after the recommendations in here. :(

Kodiak
30-Apr-09, 20:22
I was disappointed with the fish and chips from the mobile chippy. The batter on the fish was soggy inside and I didn't like the chips. I was really looking forward to it as well after the recommendations in here. :(

I have never been Disappointed with any food from the Mobile Chip Van. I love his Fish as it has thet Fresh Taste that is missing from most other Chip Shops. Since he only Cooks per order yje Batter is always crisp and delicious. Also the Hbad Cut Chips make all the difference and to me they are the best chips you can buy from any Chippy.

But as always it really is a matter of taste and I xan only state my opinion, but honestly I have never ever been served with soggy batter.

Geo
30-Apr-09, 20:52
I bought 4 fish suppers for the family and a visiting friend. Only my wife said she thought it was ok. The batter was crisp on the outside, soggy/doughy on the inside. There was lots left over, both fish and chips as the rest of us didn't like it. You've certainly had a better experience than me and I accept that mine could have been a one off but I doubt I'd go back.

greenasiamcabbagelooking
01-May-09, 23:57
witnessed the highly esteemed 'chef' at Brims today ...

watched in wonder and slight disgust as he prepared and cooked a cheese burger without once cleaning his hands as he handled uncooked burgers and then used the same manky fingers to blob some cheese onto it.

not sure if he thinks the punters can't see this from his 'elevated' position, but after witnessing this we went back into town and had our fill at the fisherman's mission at Scrabster ..... excellent :Razz

p.s. we were also wondering why the 10 year old 'helper' at the van wasn't at school, but then assumed that this lucky lad would be inheriting the business and therefore doesn't need an education .... 'ouch' !!

i await this honest message to be removed/my suspension to be forthcoming

Kodiak
02-May-09, 00:19
What you say is Just not believeable and I do NOT belive this at all.

I have seen Mr Booth cook many times in his van and he is VERY Fastideous with washing his hands. Also I have never ever seen him handle a Burger with his bare hands as he uses Tongs.

I do not like this kind of post and you should be ashamed of yourself as this is the 2nd place you have posted this.

greenasiamcabbagelooking
02-May-09, 00:47
whether you like or believe it or not is irrelevant

as i said, it's an honest post

i can't even say that he was busy and that's why he was lackadaisical with his hygiene, but we know what we saw

to say i should be ashamed of myself is comical

Let Mr Booth come on here and deny it, until then haud yer horses
http://pixel.quantserve.com/pixel/p-e4m3Yko6bFYVc.gif?labels=NewsAndReference,Educatio nAndEmployment

Baconbuttie
04-May-09, 22:11
Afraid I must agree with Geo about the soggy batter, very greasy and undercooked inside but nice and crisp outside. Suffered indegestion for hours. Excellent chips though, the family dumped their fish on me and nicked my chips. Went back the following week to tell him but he wasn't there.

teenybash
05-May-09, 21:48
Looking forward to the chip vans next visit to Watten....fish and chips are done to perfection....definately a hit with my oh and me...Lovely guy plenty of chat and we will certainly be back...again and again and again...........:cool:

greenasiamcabbagelooking
05-May-09, 22:42
lets's hope he washes his hands before he cooks your fish supper

still no reply from Mr Booth :roll:

this hygiene report from last month backs up what we saw

http://www.highland.gov.uk/yourenvironment/environmentalhealth/premisesinspectionreports/2009/April/Caithness/chef4celebrations.htm

apologies to Alison for her recommendation for the Cross Cafe in Lybster being hijacked,
we're gonna visit there soon so will get this thread back on track.

Socrates
06-May-09, 10:56
l

this hygiene report from last month backs up what we saw

http://www.highland.gov.uk/yourenvironment/environmentalhealth/premisesinspectionreports/2009/April/Caithness/chef4celebrations.htm

This is a pretty damming report, what items were "cluttering" floor?

I personally would never eat from a mobile chip/food van (not just this one) as it is inpossible to ensure that van is kept clean. Think how many arms touch van counter and how many people vendors come into contact with just by taking money.

Geo
06-May-09, 11:04
This is a pretty damming report, what items were "cluttering" floor?

I personally would never eat from a mobile chip/food van (not just this one) as it is inpossible to ensure that van is kept clean. Think how many arms touch van counter and how many people vendors come into contact with just by taking money.

I don't think it was a damning report at all. A few things needed sorted and probably have been put right since that report. None of them sound difficult to do.

The amount of people touching the counter and contact though money exchanging hands will be the same for any chippy not just a mobile one. In fact in normal chippes people often lean on the counter, the mobile one is too high to do that.

Socrates
06-May-09, 14:23
A lot of people can get ill in the 6/8 weeks they have been given to clean their van up.

If an establishment (either mobile or building) fails an inspection, it should be shut down immediately untill all issues have been resolved.

S&LHEN
06-May-09, 14:40
I have to agree with the comments on the food being under cooked and hygene low. I stated this on the recommendations page before I was so disappointed :(

Geo
06-May-09, 15:31
A lot of people can get ill in the 6/8 weeks they have been given to clean their van up.

If an establishment (either mobile or building) fails an inspection, it should be shut down immediately untill all issues have been resolved.

Just because they gave 6/8 weeks doesn't mean it took 6/8 weeks to remedy. Establishments ARE closed down when the failure poses a health risk, which this obviously didn't.

I was disappointed with the food but the report mentioned above wouldn't bother me as the points mentioned could be fixed right away.

Sunflower
06-May-09, 16:32
Where abouts in Lybster is it? :)

Baconbuttie
06-May-09, 22:40

I am sure that if there was any risk to health they would have been shut down. Minor infringements seem to get blown out of all proportion. I would have no reservations about eating food from the van if it was better cooked.

Buttercup
07-May-09, 00:36
Was quite looking forward to my fish supper tonight but he didn't turn up! Supposed to have been at Ormlie from 4pm - 8pm, went there at 5 and he was nowhere to be seen. About 3 or 4 weeks ago we went at 7.30 and he was all closed up ~ not very reliable service. :(

Mr P Cannop
07-May-09, 06:15
hes not out this week normal service next week

Socrates
07-May-09, 10:42
The owner admitted four infringements, and yes they were minor ones, but the onus is on vendor to ensure that his premises, or van in this case, is "fit for purpose" in selling food.
As the inspectors issued a notice it is clear that they did not think van was OK.

Geo
07-May-09, 10:53
I reckon a lot of startups would get recommendations of things to fix. The amount of red tape these days is incredible. He got the big ones right and a few minor issues needed sorted. They weren't dangerous to the public. I think you're flogging a dead horse with this one. It isn't a big issue like you either think it is or want it to be.

Socrates
07-May-09, 12:56
You might be right about flogging dead horse

avalon
10-May-09, 23:43
Try Hemsdale the café and shop been 6/7 times know I would say they are the best in Caithness

Buttercup
11-May-09, 00:23
Try Hemsdale the café and shop been 6/7 times know I would say they are the best in Caithness

Take it you mean La Mirage ~ I would second that, definately the best Fish & Chips in the North.
(BTW avalon, Helmsdale is in Sutherlandshire ;))

Kodiak
11-May-09, 00:28

Except that Helmsdale in in Sutherland and NOT Caithness !!!!

Socrates
11-May-09, 09:47
Bit of a trek, but at least you know they will be there when you get there.

SNOWDOG
16-May-09, 11:32
Take it you mean La Mirage ~ I would second that, definately the best Fish & Chips in the North.
(BTW avalon, Helmsdale is in Sutherlandshire ;))

Best fish supper i ever had was in Whitby, the La Mirage in Helmsdale comes a very close second! :Razz