PDA

View Full Version : Youtube showing full-length feature films

Rheghead
17-Apr-09, 20:25
I heard on the radio this morning that Youtube has got agreement to show full length feature films for free. But this service is only available in the US. Can someone explain how only US residents can see films on Youtube?:confused

TBH
17-Apr-09, 20:27
I heard on the radio this morning that Youtube has got agreement to show full length feature films for free. But this service is only available in the US. Can someone explain how only US residents can see films on Youtube?:confusedI'd imagine it would have something to do with blocking uk servers or summat?

Green_not_greed
17-Apr-09, 20:29
As far as I understand, its done through blocking IP addresses, which are country configured. The BBC does the same for sports programmes etc though iPlayer to ensure that only UK residents can see them.

I hadn't heard his about youtube and wondered if they are jumping on a potential vacant Pirate Bay slot?

Rheghead
17-Apr-09, 21:04
Makes sense GNG, didn't know they could do that, I guess being a UK 'America' Online subscriber I don't get a look in, maybe that is because AOL is really AOL in name only and is really Carphone warehouse.

I bet they are just cheesy flicks anyway :lol:

TBH
17-Apr-09, 21:10
As far as I understand, its done through blocking ISP addresses, which are country configured. The BBC does the same for sports programmes etc though iPlayer to ensure that only UK residents can see them.

I hadn't heard his about youtube and wondered if they are jumping on a potential vacant Pirate Bay slot?Which piratebay would that be then?

Green_not_greed
17-Apr-09, 22:41
Which piratebay would that be then?

Errr..... http://thepiratebay.org/

Is there any other?

TBH
17-Apr-09, 22:50
Errr..... http://thepiratebay.org/

Is there any other?There is but I wonder why you think youtube may be jumping on a vacant piratebay slot.

Tristan
17-Apr-09, 23:36
There has been TV options like that available in the states for years. One of the better ones is supposed to be hulu, but you can only view it with a US IP.