PDA

View Full Version : games we used to play

the poacher
17-Apr-09, 17:55
i was reading the thread about being a tean again and it reminded me of games we use to play like skips hoppy and so on you dont see kids playing stuff like that now its a shame.

SO WHAT GAMES DID YOU PLAY WHEN YOU WERE YOUNG?

riggerboy
17-Apr-09, 18:13
we used to play levo down at the harbour my god there must have be 50 of us

Joefitz
17-Apr-09, 18:24
Used to live in Milton, and we used to get together of an evening and play kick the can, Gosh, we played for HOURs....lot of fun, and good for you , all that running!

squidge
17-Apr-09, 18:28
Elastics or french skipping

I can still do it now - well maybe not quite now. All the rules about scissors and catches. We spent hours and hours and hours playing it even wrapping the elastic around two dining chairs in the living room so my sister and i could both jump. My parents had a carpet with lines on it and that would do at a pinch if we hadn't got any elastics to jump over.

mrsinkstack
17-Apr-09, 19:21
Levo was fantastic, half of the kids in Pultney used to turn out ;) Kirbie, spent all night rattling a ball back and forth !!

floyed
17-Apr-09, 19:28
Kirbie
Skipping
Kiss cuddle and torture
manhunt
fish and chip shops (stones and mud)
kick e doorie
wallie
whats the time mister wolf?

Blondie
17-Apr-09, 19:37
What was manhunt? :eek:

Statues.
British Bulldogs.

floyed
17-Apr-09, 19:39

Statues.
British Bulldogs.

You got in to 2 teams and one team went and hid and the other team counted and then had to find all the people in that team. A bit like hide and seek but it was teams.

butterfly
17-Apr-09, 19:40

I can still do it now - well maybe not quite now. All the rules about scissors and catches. We spent hours and hours and hours playing it even wrapping the elastic around two dining chairs in the living room so my sister and i could both jump. My parents had a carpet with lines on it and that would do at a pinch if we hadn't got any elastics to jump over.

That jolted my memory,elastics!Was great fun.Every season there would be a different game on the go like British Bulldogs,elastics,skipping,Kerby,Tag,Horsie Back kings and Hoppy.Us girls used to love swapping Scraps too.We would put Not For Sale on our favourite ones.Those were the days.......:)

Gene Hunt
17-Apr-09, 19:48
Whats Levo ??

We used to play Bulldogs, Kiss,Cuddle or Snog, and Ping the Bra Strap.

Isn't Bulldogs banned in schools now because its too dangerous for today's fragile kiddies ??

mrsinkstack
17-Apr-09, 19:51
Levo - the 'pot' was at the pipes or the 'stonies' in Nicolsons Street, everyone would scramble over walls, back gardens, garden gates etc to free the people held in the pot - great fun ;)
Kiss, cuddle and torture was a bit of a let down for us girlies, we would always want a snog but the loons always wanted torture resulting in a boot in the shin or there abouts - not good :roll:

butterfly
17-Apr-09, 20:03
Isn't Bulldogs banned in schools now because its too dangerous for today's fragile kiddies ??

Aye the Bulldogs was banned not long after i left primary.Used to get some knocks during that game but didnt stop me going back for more!

Cedric Farthsbottom III
17-Apr-09, 21:40
Kirbie
Skipping
Kiss cuddle and torture
manhunt
fish and chip shops (stones and mud)
kick e doorie
wallie
whats the time mister wolf?
Kiss,Cuddle and Torture,oh yeah.The best sex education classes you ever got with your friends.Torture meant ye got a nip nip,because they liked ye but didnae want to make it obvious.A cuddle meant they liked ye but not that much.A Kiss meant they liked ye and wanted ye to be their boyfriend,only if ye asked first.:lol::lol:

purplelady
17-Apr-09, 23:37
uplay hop stotch loved that and two ball that was then you had 2 tennis balls and you would throw them one at a time at the wall must has drove who evers wall it was mad lol

riggerboy
18-Apr-09, 09:09
Levo was fantastic, half of the kids in Pultney used to turn out ;) Kirbie, spent all night rattling a ball back and forth !!

blinky blink kirby now that was fun spent hours play that,

celtic lass
18-Apr-09, 09:36
god this thread brings a lot of happy memories back i grew up in ackergill cresent where it was full of kids playing levo,hide and seek,chase,kirby,kiss cuddle and torture,skips those were the days everything seemed so simple back then its a real pity that the kids now a days are glued to their playstations etc, they dont know what they are missing out on :~(

Kevin Milkins
18-Apr-09, 09:58
Hopscotch
Conkers
Doctor's and Nurses:roll:
Jack Stones

telfordstar
18-Apr-09, 12:24

Statues.
British Bulldogs.

Oh i remember british bulldogs at school many a hood was ripped of my coat i was at desperate not to get caught:lol:

the poacher
18-Apr-09, 12:29
im delighted you like this thread its fun to remember wat we used to do years ago it was so much fun then never see these games getting played now it is a shame.

keep them comming though there are games there i forgot about.

heres another flick the penny loved that one
it took a while to get ma dad to ge me a penny though but that was fun too.

Gene Hunt
18-Apr-09, 13:05
Marbles.

I used to play this all the time as a kid but I cant remember the last time I saw kids playing marbles. Can you even buy them nowadays ??, my kids think Marbles are just something their Dad has lost.

And does anyone else remember Tin Can Alley ??, I have one in the loft but I am sure the Fun Police would be against that as well these days.

Metalattakk
18-Apr-09, 13:08
/.. you dont see kids playing stuff like that now its a shame.
Walking past the Miller Academy recently and saw a 'playground assistant' teaching a group of kids how to play Hopscotch.

Sad days indeed when kids aren't taught these things by their peers.

gee
18-Apr-09, 13:25
this thread brings back a lot of memories.

i loved playing kirby. hours of fun
marbles
grass fights
kiss, cuddle and torture
making go karts with old fish boxes
thunder and lightning haha got in lot of bother with that one

Tugmistress
18-Apr-09, 15:12
marbles
conkers
british bulldogs,
skipping,
leap frog
hop scotch
hide n seek
street rugby
dodge ball
swing ball
block 123
and i'm sure many others lol

mrsinkstack
18-Apr-09, 15:44
We used slide down either the Academy Braes or the long Shore Road on empty manure bags or slide down the sand heaps at Simpsons in the summer - probably a bit dangerous now and I don't think I would be keen for me bairns doing it. None of this plastic sledge malarky nowadays !
Swimming in the Trinkie in your vest and knickers so your Mither wouldn't know where you'd been :)
Avoiding getting soaked on the harbour wall - now that is dangerous !!

goldilocks
18-Apr-09, 16:22
I used to love playing kirbi, elastics, skippies and Knock the door... Oh the childhood memories......:D

the poacher
18-Apr-09, 16:44
Marbles.

I used to play this all the time as a kid but I cant remember the last time I saw kids playing marbles. Can you even buy them nowadays ??, my kids think Marbles are just something their Dad has lost.

And does anyone else remember Tin Can Alley ??, I have one in the loft but I am sure the Fun Police would be against that as well these days.

heyy could you tell me what tin can alley is please.

ellimac
18-Apr-09, 16:47
Childhood games they were so many, but I did love a game of Kirbi and a game of skippy.....:D

ellimac
18-Apr-09, 16:50

Elastics that was another of my favourites......... As you say Squidge me and my pals spent hours playing at it.....:D

grumpy1
18-Apr-09, 16:52
sardines.. was a big fave with us as kids.. it was hilarious seeing how many kids u could squeeze into the smallest hiding place...hahaha those were the dats
bulldogs was another good one

purplelady
18-Apr-09, 23:50
Does anyonr remeber them things think they were call knackers two balls on two strings and uou knocked them together and would spin them did your wrists no good prob got name or spelling wrong lol but am sure someone will remeber them remeber they were banned fron our school , and i also remeber cats cradle hehehehe

tigger2u
19-Apr-09, 00:13
Does anyonr remeber them things think they were call knackers two balls on two strings and uou knocked them together and would spin them did your wrists no good prob got name or spelling wrong lol but am sure someone will remeber them remeber they were banned fron our school , and i also remeber cats cradle hehehehe

those were clackers or knuckle crunchers lmao you can till get a variation of those but without the danger of your knuckles getting rapped lol

I bet lots used to play Chap door & runaway.

One we did was Best man Falling. Which was to see who could die the most dramatic death when they got shot with various weapons lmao

tigger2u
19-Apr-09, 00:16
heyy could you tell me what tin can alley is please.

Its a knock down the cans game

google it and you can see it, I think you can still get it.

oldmarine
19-Apr-09, 00:26
It's been so lone ago that I forget. [lol]:lol:

Kevin Milkins
19-Apr-09, 08:59

LOL. Yes I think you may have spelled it wrong.:eek:

I do remember that toy and how it used to work and your discription made me cross my legs.:lol:

dogman
19-Apr-09, 21:24
Some great memories playing manhunt in seaforth avenue. Running in and out everyones gardens, what a laugh.

gooooooood times!

tigger2u
19-Apr-09, 22:47
Klackers it is lol http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/ilove/years/1971/toys2.shtml

BTW type in klackers and there is a site that still sells the origionals. ADULTS ONLY though lol poor kids might get hurt again [lol]

purplelady
19-Apr-09, 23:46
hehehehehehe knwe someone would know the real spelling boy did i hurt my knuckles and wrists as a kid lol

padfoot
20-Apr-09, 11:45
Levo - the 'pot' was at the pipes or the 'stonies' in Nicolsons Street, everyone would scramble over walls, back gardens, garden gates etc to free the people held in the pot - great fun ;)
Kiss, cuddle and torture was a bit of a let down for us girlies, we would always want a snog but the loons always wanted torture resulting in a boot in the shin or there abouts - not good :roll:

lol i used to play that at school but it was always the girls choice which was good lol

Shabbychic
20-Apr-09, 12:33
Beds (Hopscotch)
Jorries (Marbles)
Balls (Against the wall)
Swapping Scraps
Shops (Using various weeds for fruit and veg)
Ropes (Plain and elastic)
Kick the Can
Hide 'n Seek
Truth, Dare or Torture
Early Skateboarding (Using an Annual on top of a roller skate)
Hoola Hoops
Yoyo
Rounders
Leap Frog
Slides (on icy pavements)
Whip and Peerie (Made a brief comeback from older times)
Simon Said
Postman's Knock (Usually kept for parties or Record Sessions)

There was also all the wee rhymes to see who was Het (It).

One potato, two potato, three potato, four,
Five potatao, six potato, seven potato more.

Then there was the songs to accompany Ropes and Balls.

Katie Beardie had a coo,
It was yellow, black and blue,
Open the gates and let it through,
Dance Katie Beardie.

or

One, two, three a leerie,
I saw Carol Peerie,
Sitting on her bumbaleerie,
Playing a game of dominoes.

Oh, memory lane here. :)

poppett
20-Apr-09, 12:53
It didn`t happen in Caithness, but this thread brought back a childhood memory of when I used to spend the summer holidays at my granny`s on the Isle of Bute.

She lived in a tenement with an outside toilet and at the end of the close was a stone shed with a wooden door known as the "midden". Many a time I was sent to the midden to rescue granny`s tattie peeler which had been thrown out with the peelings in a newspaper. The "midden" was a great source of finds for us playing shoppie............no worry in those days of germs and catching deadly viruses.

Anyway my claim to fame is I spent a whole fortnight one summer playing shoppie at the midden with Midge Ure of Ultravox fame who was "door the watter for the fair" (Glasgow trades holidays).

I also played with a Thomas Carneigie, sadly not related to the money chappie who started libraries, but a nice chap all the same. Met him a few years ago and he was working as a waiter.

the poacher
20-Apr-09, 16:38
stilts made from old bits of wood was another we used to play with or 2 tins conected with string and use them as walkie talkies.

Invisible
20-Apr-09, 16:59
myself and my brother were fanatical on F1 and we used to pretend we were Schumacher and Coulthard on our bikes around the farm, well until I broke my finger.

Favourite game was heads down thumbs up, was a little cheat (looked at their shoes)